sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I have decided to play Super Mario Sunshine after skipping it when it was originally released. For the record I have 100%'d Super Mario 64, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, and Super Mario 3D World.

Mario Sunshine is absolutely frustrating and not enjoyable in the least. Here are some of the things that have driven me to insanity:

1. The worst, WORST camera. One of the worst camera's of any video game I have ever played.

2. Inverted controls for aiming and adjusting the camera, which there is no option to change.

3. If you die, unless you're in a special stage (those classic platforming stages) you get tossed out of the level and have to go back in... which is a waste of time.

4. Controls are horrendous. They're smoother than Mario 64, sure, but it's overly sensitive. Running along narrow paths etc., can be far more difficult than they need to be. Any small twitch will put Mario somewhere he doesn't need to be.

5. Learning curve is painfully high. You essentially have to master the backflip by the time you're in the second level... Ricco Harbor pretty much demands that you master this skill.

6. The levels have been uninspired, and uninteresting to explore. The constant water theme is a drag.

7. The simple fact that you cannot keep your new attachments. Why in a level where it's mandatory to use the rocket, do I have to find it in a level to use it? Seems ridiculous to me.

8. Mario's skillset: no crouch backflip + no long jump = a pain in the ass.

9. THE CAMERA AGAIN.

I am forcing myself, against my better judgment, to complete this game 100%.

I know some of you loved this game, and honestly, I cannot see how.

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

??? Is this thread really necessary?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@sonic_spark: What did you like about the game?

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Out of the mainstream Mario, AAA games from Mario 64 to now, Sunshine is the worst.

However, I wouldn't call it broken or maybe I ddn't notice the problems you stated 13/14 years ago.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58925 Posts

Alright, I guess.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sonic_spark

@iandizion713: A sense of accomplishment, lol. I think there's creativity in the mechanics, but the camera problems make it hard to really enjoy them.

@shrek Yes. :)

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iandizion713

@sonic_spark: What about the world? Enemies? Bosses?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
@sonic_spark said:

I am forcing myself, against my better judgment, to complete this game 100%.

DON'T.

The blue coins aren't worth it. They're a pain to find, even with a guide, and there's just no fun involved in the process, especially near the end with only a few more to find. It's not worth it. You have better things to do with your life, trust me.

Just don't.

But you can probably have enough fun doing everything else. Just--in your own mind, in a universe you've created just for you--say that 100% is everything but the blue coins. Then tell people you 100%ed it, include it in your lists in the future, and if anyone questions about the blue coins, say "what blue coins" and start talking about how awesome Galaxy 2 is.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Sure by today standart maybe the game isn't that good but back during the GC days, it felt like an 7 or 8 game and it was fun. Some levels were frustrating but overall a fun game.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I did have some issues with Super Mario Sunshine, but overall I think it was a really interesting game. If you take it on its own terms, it has some pretty stellar moments. I can see how some elements would frustrate people though - for example, the lack of a long jump is really related to the existence of FLUDD. With FLUDD, you simply don't need a long jump anymore.

In some ways, Super Mario Sunshine is the hardest Mario game for me to go back to, because there are parts I really love and parts I'm not so keen on. The elements that are more platformer-related are awesome, but there are some levels that kind of have weird puzzle focuses (like the hotel level where you have to run around and find the hidden coins - I didn't find that even remotely fun).

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I've always loved Sunshine. I know I'm in a minority here, but it's my favorite 3D Mario game. This may be due to nostalgia back to the time that I first played it, but I enjoyed it the most, even above SM64. The Galaxy games are good but seem too easy in comparison.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

#3 was also in Mario 64 as well...

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

It's still my favourite 3D Mario game.
I disagree with pretty much everything on your list.

The game is not broken at all, it's just old.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sonic_spark

@iandizion713 said:

@sonic_spark: What about the world? Enemies? Bosses?

I have unlocked just about every single level, and I have 100% completed the first few worlds less the Blue Coins, as I'm taking @JordanElek's advice. I'm not liking the overworld at all, and the levels are not memorable. To me the game has been a chore, which is so unfortunate as I LOVE 3D Mario games. Now I'm reminded why I skipped this in the first place. I don't even have issues with the water pack.

There have been no memorable bosses yet, or fights I really enjoyed. The coolest enemy thus far has been the Manta Ray shadow that splits, and even that got tedious after awhile.

What really is upsetting is that the music is meh, at best. I remember my mind being blown when I first went into Jolly Roger Bay and heard that music (and the level is awesome).

It's a shame, but I will complete it 100% less the blue coins so I can pass final judgment.

Note: On the left of the map in Noki Bay, there's those secret passages to get Blue Coins, nearly got all of them except the main central column that opens up and goes higher, I cannot for the life of me get up to where the doors are - why? - because the camera won't zoom in on Mario, and I'm basically looking at a glitched wall with a shadow moving...

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iandizion713

@sonic_spark: That sucks, i dont think i could continue with a game i didnt like though.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Sunshine has the best platforming in the whole series. Everything else about it is weak compared to other entries, (some boring side missions, pointless cutscenes, uninteresting theme to most of the levels) but the platforming is the most challenging and satisfying it has ever been.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

It's interesting that you weren't a fan of the bosses - I loved Petie Piranha (I hope I've got his name right); the whole mechanic of shooting water into his mouth to fill up his belly so that you can jump on him is awesome and really inventive. It's moments like that which, for me, kind of made up for the more lackluster sections.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

I enjoyed it had a great time. Sure some levels are a frustrating but games tend to have parts or sections that are frustrating.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I think it's a pretty good game. Not my favorite Mario game but still better than the vast majority of 3D platformers on the market.

Avatar image for regularvideogamekid
Regularvideogamekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 Regularvideogamekid
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

You can fix some problems in the settings

OnionPapa

Forum Posts