I have decided to play Super Mario Sunshine after skipping it when it was originally released. For the record I have 100%'d Super Mario 64, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, and Super Mario 3D World.
Mario Sunshine is absolutely frustrating and not enjoyable in the least. Here are some of the things that have driven me to insanity:
1. The worst, WORST camera. One of the worst camera's of any video game I have ever played.
2. Inverted controls for aiming and adjusting the camera, which there is no option to change.
3. If you die, unless you're in a special stage (those classic platforming stages) you get tossed out of the level and have to go back in... which is a waste of time.
4. Controls are horrendous. They're smoother than Mario 64, sure, but it's overly sensitive. Running along narrow paths etc., can be far more difficult than they need to be. Any small twitch will put Mario somewhere he doesn't need to be.
5. Learning curve is painfully high. You essentially have to master the backflip by the time you're in the second level... Ricco Harbor pretty much demands that you master this skill.
6. The levels have been uninspired, and uninteresting to explore. The constant water theme is a drag.
7. The simple fact that you cannot keep your new attachments. Why in a level where it's mandatory to use the rocket, do I have to find it in a level to use it? Seems ridiculous to me.
8. Mario's skillset: no crouch backflip + no long jump = a pain in the ass.
9. THE CAMERA AGAIN.
I am forcing myself, against my better judgment, to complete this game 100%.
I know some of you loved this game, and honestly, I cannot see how.