Super Mario Maker 2 Review Thread

#1 Posted by bgres077 (12657 posts) -

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-mario-maker-2-review-in-progress-parts-and-c/1900-6417189/

#2 Edited by KungfuKitten (26654 posts) -

I looove the level creation tips! As a small hobbyist game theorist/designer I have always struggled with making actual good levels. Isn't that weird? It's like I have no trouble coming up with cool building blocks for a game and general throughlines for a level, but using the pieces in smart ways to conduct the player's enjoyment is so tough for me. Maybe this game will actually make me a better designer, and that would be worth the money tenfold alone.

I do recommend that you get a stylus if you ever aim to create your own levels. I got a Meko 2-in-1 stylus that seems to work great. Lot's of other brands make the same type of stylus and I think they are all qualitatively about the same. (It's a stylus with a disc tip and a rounded fiber-tip.) They are around $10.

#3 Posted by Ovirew (9083 posts) -

@KungfuKitten: So making levels using the controller doesn't work well? I'm curious to know, since that's likely how I would want to play the game.

#4 Edited by KBFloYd (21859 posts) -

i got it strictly for the multiplayer.

played some matches yesterday of online coop. the lag sometimes ruins it. but there were many good matches. i didnt play vs yet but i will.

its a good time but not super super addicting.

#5 Posted by KBFloYd (21859 posts) -

so i just played some versus.

umm. i suck. plain and simple. its bad enough i suck but also the slight lag makes me even worse.

yea no point to keep playing to keep getting beat and maybe winning 1 here and there.

i think i will have to stick to Co-op.

#6 Edited by KungfuKitten (26654 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

@KungfuKitten: So making levels using the controller doesn't work well? I'm curious to know, since that's likely how I would want to play the game.

It's OK. It's just slow and unintuitive at first. It's functional but I super prefer the ease of use with a stylus.