Stop by and recommend some 3DS games please.

#1 Edited by Mandzilla (3290 posts) -

Hello all. I recently decided to go ahead and order a second hand New 3DS to play some stuff from its huge library. I've never owned one before, but did used to have a DS Lite and held onto some games from that which I can replay on the 3DS.

Anyway, I was just wondering which games you guys/girls would suggest for a 3DS newbie to check out? If it helps I enjoy all genres really, particularly tactical RPGs, platformers, strategies and simulations, but all recommendations are welcome and much appreciated!

So far I was thinking:

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.
  • Metal Gear: Solid Snake Eater 3D.
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising.
  • Fire Emblem (which one though?)
  • Perhaps the Zelda remasters.
  • Starfox 64 3D.
  • Metroid: Samus Returns.

The preowned games here are pretty cheap now, so I thought 2019 was a good time to jump in. Thanks for any help. :)

#2 Posted by KBFloYd (21366 posts) -

luigis mansion dark moon. cool 3d cool game

if you like 3D the early games tried very hard to show it off. games like steel diver, pilot wings and rayman 2.

also epic mickey is a great platformer

project X zone is a nice SRPG with a cross of many great franchises

mario 3d land. you have to have mario lol

resident evil revelations (if you havnt played it)

street fighter 4 3D. the online is super laggy and broken. but its pretty cool this game is on 3ds but not on switch.

castlevania mirror of fate - its a return to 2D. many shit on it. but i thought it was cool.

#3 Edited by KBFloYd (21366 posts) -

if you like animal crossing. disney magical world is a disney form of animal crossing

zelda link between worlds is awesome. won GOTY here at gamespot.

#4 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (4904 posts) -

@mandzilla:

Quick warning. Metal Gear Solid 3 on 3DS is REALLY SHITTY! A terrible port!

Also I think Xenoblade is exclusive to the *newer* 3DS. So it won't work on the 3DS model that can play old DS games. Anyways, here are some to look into...

Rune Factory 4

Sonic Lost World

Resident Evil Revelations

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Smash Bros

Dragonquest VIII

#5 Posted by Mandzilla (3290 posts) -

Wow, thanks @KBFloYd !

Luigi's Mansion 2 looks awesome, I hear it's even better than the Gamecube port which seems interesting also. Would like to play some stuff which shows off the 3D yup, so adding those to the list. :D Epic Mickey, Mario 3D Land (of course!) Project X Zone, Street Fighter IV and Castlevania also.

Resident Evil Revelations I might save for getting on Switch someday, but this is for sure the year to dive into Animal Crossing. Hmm gonna research Disney Magical World I think. Zelda Link Between Worlds definitely!!! And I just noticed this one called Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology which came out in 2018, that looks like my sort of thing.

You rock, cheers!

#6 Posted by Mandzilla (3290 posts) -
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@mandzilla:

Quick warning. Metal Gear Solid 3 on 3DS is REALLY SHITTY! A terrible port!

Also I think Xenoblade is exclusive to the *newer* 3DS. So it won't work on the 3DS model that can play old DS games. Anyways, here are some to look into...

Rune Factory 4

Sonic Lost World

Resident Evil Revelations

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Smash Bros

Dragonquest VIII

Hmm, well I've heard some mixed opinions about MGS3... 20FPS and muddy graphics. I'm willing to give it a fair shake though since I've only played the PS2 version which wasn't perfect either. Plus it seems to have the Peace Walker mechanics, and Yoshis instead of Keratin frogs, how cool! Thanks for the warning though.

Oh okay, I'm pretty certain that's the I ordered (New 3DS). It plays old DS games too right? Not that there are many *New 3DS* exclusives, but I think for Xenoblade alone it's worth it. Probably Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad play better on Switch though.

Rune Factory 4, Super Mario 3D land and Dragonquest (how did I not notice this!) I'll definitely keep an eye out for. Feel like the Switch has me covered with Smash and Sonic.

Thank you very much for the help dude. :)

#7 Posted by Ovirew (8608 posts) -

Nobody recommended Pokemon???

I'd suggest X or Y version. It's by far one of the easiest Pokemon games, but you can catch tonnnnnes of monsters in it, and nothing really compares to that awesome jump to 3-dimensional characters. I also liked a lot of the new monsters gen 6 introduced.

#8 Posted by Mandzilla (3290 posts) -
@Ovirew said:

Nobody recommended Pokemon???

I'd suggest X or Y version. It's by far one of the easiest Pokemon games, but you can catch tonnnnnes of monsters in it, and nothing really compares to that awesome jump to 3-dimensional characters. I also liked a lot of the new monsters gen 6 introduced.

Ahhh yes, Pokemon is a big one! I will look into X and Y, should be a fun warm up before the gen 8 Switch game comes out later this year. :D Thanks Ovirew.

Do you have any experience with Yo-Kai Watch, I've heard it's kinda similar to Pokemon?

#9 Posted by Ovirew (8608 posts) -

@mandzilla: I have no interest in Yo-Kai Watch personally, but I can tell you that Level-5 has made decent games over the years.

#10 Posted by Mandzilla (3290 posts) -
@Ovirew said:

@mandzilla: I have no interest in Yo-Kai Watch personally, but I can tell you that Level-5 has made decent games over the years.

Oh okay, sure seems like they do nice work yup. Cheers.

#11 Posted by Speeny (1095 posts) -

Kirby Triple Deluxe was good.

Animal Crossing New Leaf is great. (Type of game you want to put time into though. Maybe wait for the Switch version.)

Dragon Quest VII was one of the best games I've played in a long time. (One of the few Dragon Quest games I've invested time into.)

Mario Kart 7 is fun

Of course, if you haven't played the originals...Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are a must. The 3DS ports are much better imo too.

#12 Posted by Hondalover66 (123 posts) -

I’m in a similar position as the OP except I’m thinking HARD about getting the new orange/white 2DS XL. Will Luigi Dark Moon and Zelda OoT, and Link to the Past look and play good on that system? Do I need to get the 3D version of those games even though it’s a 2D system?