Still worth picking up a DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

So now that the 3DS is announced and the launch date set, do you think it's still worth picking up a DS? Especially for those who don't have one? Just want to see what your thoughts are on this.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I do not think so. The 3DS could be out in as little as half a year and plays DS games. The ONLY thing better about a DS (older models that is) is that it can play GBA games.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

Then buy a GBA if you want it for GBA games, it's a lot cheaper. And...yeah I don't know if it's worth it this late, do you have one or not OP?

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kenny789
Well it's not really for me, I just want to know what everyone thinks. By the way I meant DS as in all of them, from the older model to the XL. And ACL0V3R, I had a DSi but it got stolen so I'm just using my Lite. Got some spare cash which was supposed to be for an XL but I'm planning to just wait it out even though Golden Sun and Re:Coded are tempting me.
darth_lorenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darth_lorenzo
Member since 2007 • 1442 Posts

If you don't have a DS by now, then there is no point, just wait till the 3DS comes out, since it can play DS games. Unless of course you are like me and can't wait to play Golden Sun, then you should buy a DS right now.

ritz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ritz2
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts
Well it's not really for me, I just want to know what everyone thinks. By the way I meant DS as in all of them, from the older model to the XL. And ACL0V3R, I had a DSi but it got stolen so I'm just using my Lite. Got some spare cash which was supposed to be for an XL but I'm planning to just wait it out even though Golden Sun and Re:Coded are tempting me.Kenny789
What? If you already have a DS, just save that money up for the 3ds.
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

Don't get the DSi or XL, they're just rehashes. If you didn't own a DS, I'd wholeheartedly recommend one, but the Lite is still awesome if you don't still have a GBASP (though those have gotten dirt-cheap).

Wait for the 3DS. ;)

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

No, I'd say wait for the 3ds you'll be awesome to everyone if you have it.

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RichardWrite
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

Allow me to be the voice of sanity here. It is looking increasingly likely that if you wait for the 3DS, you'll be waiting NINE months .....almost a year....before you play any games. The people telling you not to buy one at this point are mostly the ones who justified getting a DSi by saying the next gen system would be released this year. They have a point to prove and not your best interest in mind. Do you want to wait nine months to play some of the very cool DS games coming out in the upcoming months, such as Golden Sun, the new Professor Layton, the new Sims 3 for DS? Then wait. Do you want to play in the near future? Then get a DS. Furthermore, get the DSi XL, because even games that you've played before seem totally new on an extra large screen and with the better speakers.

Remember: When you do get a 3DS, it won't make an XL obsolete, since the XL screens will still be a lot bigger than the biggest screen on the 3DS. If you're like me, you'll want to continue playing the non-3D games on the XL, even when the 3DS comes out --in almost a year from now.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
Richard.... you obviously don't understand what they mean by BY march 2011 That doesn't mean AT. It is almost stupid not to get it out for the holiday season... So 6 months really isn't that long (though November is a little more likely in my opinion). Even 9 months doesn't justify 150$ purchase only to wait 9 months to pay (possibly) 200$ that can do all the things your 150$ ds does and a lot more.
ritz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ritz2

Allow me to be the voice of sanity here. It is looking increasingly likely that if you wait for the 3DS, you'll be waiting NINE months .....almost a year....before you play any games. The people telling you not to buy one at this point are mostly the ones who justified getting a DSi by saying the next gen system would be released this year. They have a point to prove and not your best interest in mind. Do you want to wait nine months to play some of the very cool DS games coming out in the upcoming months, such as Golden Sun, the new Professor Layton, the new Sims 3 for DS? Then wait. Do you want to play in the near future? Then get a DS. Furthermore, get the DSi XL, because even games that you've played before seem totally new on an extra large screen and with the better speakers.

Remember: When you do get a 3DS, it won't make an XL obsolete, since the XL screens will still be a lot bigger than the biggest screen on the 3DS. If you're like me, you'll want to continue playing the non-3D games on the XL, even when the 3DS comes out --in almost a year from now.

RichardWrite
He already has a working DS. The only reason to get an XL for him at this point would be for the slightly larger screens, and I don't think he thinks it's worth $180 when he can wait until next holiday season and get the next generation DS.
Wiismgrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wiismgrocks
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

No dont buy one, I would only buy games for the ds before they stop making/carrying them. Then when you get a 3DS, you will have so many games to play! :P

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RichardWrite

[QUOTE="RichardWrite"]

ritz2

He already has a working DS. The only reason to get an XL for him at this point would be for the slightly larger screens, and I don't think he thinks it's worth $180 when he can wait until next holiday season and get the next generation DS.

The question in the OP was: "So now that the 3DS is announced and the launch date set, do you think it's still worth picking up a DS? Especially for those who don't have one? Just want to see what your thoughts are on this." ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE ONE. So I repeat, yes, if you like to play games and don't want to wait possibly a year for the 3DS, then you should get a DS.....and I think it should be the XL, since it's the one DS that will still have something that the 3DS will not have.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

So now that the 3DS is announced and the launch date set, do you think it's still worth picking up a DS? Especially for those who don't have one? Just want to see what your thoughts are on this.

Kenny789

If I were you, I'd buy a DS LITE the second the price drops on all the current models. The 3DS renders the (i) and XL models pointless, but the Lite is still a great system and the also the best way to play GBA games. Not only that, but there are LOTS of good multiplayer games out for the DS, some of which may take awhile to be released in some form or another, on the 3DS. If what I'm told is true, the 3DS will be fully BC with current models, meaning you could play Bomberman DS multiplayer on a DS and a 3DS.

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RichardWrite

[QUOTE="Kenny789"]

Heirren

If I were you, I'd buy a DS LITE the second the price drops on all the current models. The 3DS renders the (i) and XL models pointless,

Since the XL has so many more features than the light, I don't follow your logic in saying the 3DS will render the XL pointless, but not the Lite. Once you get the 3DS, you'll have sonmething that can do anything the Lite can do. But you still won't have something that can do everything the XL can do....i.e., allow you to play on a big screen.

assasian_1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 assasian_1337
Member since 2009 • 64 Posts
you can,only if you want to.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Kenny789"]

RichardWrite

If I were you, I'd buy a DS LITE the second the price drops on all the current models. The 3DS renders the (i) and XL models pointless,

Since the XL has so many more features than the light, I don't follow your logic in saying the 3DS will render the XL pointless, but not the Lite. Once you get the 3DS, you'll have sonmething that can do anything the Lite can do. But you still won't have something that can do everything the XL can do....i.e., allow you to play on a big screen.

All the exceptional games are in the regular DS line. The price drops for each DS will be similar to how they are priced now, which means the Lite will be the cheapest, yet offer MORE than the other two, especially if you are definitely picking up a 3DS. There aren't any super great multiplayer exclusives for the (i) and xl models, so it doesn't make any sense in buying them, especially since the 3DS will allow you to play the software that you can't on the Lite. I guess I don't understand spending the extra money for nothing, thats all. Plus with the Lite you get a sweet GBA as well, which ISN"T available on the 3DS--so really, it offers MORE than the other two DSs.

FreakinAcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 FreakinAcorn
Member since 2010 • 196 Posts
I'd wait sometimes patience brings good things back. If you already have a DS lite I would wait for sales on 3DS or some sort of coupon.
RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RichardWrite

Is the meeting of the XL Haters almost done?

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
I'd wait for the3DS, it looks AMAZING. DS's and it's games are going to be around forever because there are so many, so you can always pick one up later in the future.
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

RichardWrite
Let me clarify by yelling in caps because it gets my point across to people better. THEY ARE NOT HATING ON THE DS XL HE ALREADY HAS A DS LITE (repetition should help too) HE ALREADY HAS A WORKING DS LITE. 3DS IS EXPECTED IN 9 MONTHS AT THE MOST. MOST PEOPLE CAN LIVE WITHOUT DSI WARE AND A CAMERA FOR 6-9 MONTHS. WHY SHOULD HE WASTE 180$ ON A BIGGER SCREEN DSI WARE AND A CAMERA WHEN HE COULD JUST WAIT 6-9 MONTHS PLAYING WHATEVER GAME THAT COMES OUT FOR THE CURRENT DS AND INSTEAD OF WASTING 380$ ON TWO SYSTEMS ONLY PAY (maybe) 200$. Hope that got the point across to you better... Calling people that disagree with your opinion XL haters. Is not proving your point any more then me typing in all caps.
RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RichardWrite

[QUOTE="RichardWrite"]

IvanElk

Let me clarify by yelling in caps because it gets my point across to people better. THEY ARE NOT HATING ON THE DS XL HE ALREADY HAS A DS LITE (repetition should help too) HE ALREADY HAS A WORKING DS LITE. 3DS IS EXPECTED IN 9 MONTHS AT THE MOST. MOST PEOPLE CAN LIVE WITHOUT DSI WARE AND A CAMERA FOR 6-9 MONTHS. WHY SHOULD HE WASTE 180$ ON A BIGGER SCREEN DSI WARE AND A CAMERA WHEN HE COULD JUST WAIT 6-9 MONTHS PLAYING WHATEVER GAME THAT COMES OUT FOR THE CURRENT DS AND INSTEAD OF WASTING 380$ ON TWO SYSTEMS ONLY PAY (maybe) 200$. Hope that got the point across to you better... Calling people that disagree with your opinion XL haters. Is not proving your point any more then me typing in all caps.

Before you make a fool of yourself again, maybe you should read the original poster's first and second notes in this thread, in which he plainly said tha the is not asking regarding his own situation, but he is asking IF THE PERSON WITHOUT A DS should buy one now.

Now go ahead .... read it. Waiting. Now.....don't you feel silly?

-Kleep-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Kleep-
Member since 2008 • 155 Posts

Hey.. I kinda have the same question, although mine is money related. I want to get my 3 year old son a handheld and don't want to spend a lot.. so I figure that the DS would be getting cheap because of the 3DS coming out. So should I get him a DS now? Is the price going to drop? How much should I look at spending?

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Yes it's worth it. Ppl who are saying the DS is dying soon are wrong. Nintendo just said they are going to continue to make games on it for a long time and the DS will co-exist with the 3DS.

Here's some awesome DS games that are coming soon.

Golden Sun

Pokemon Black and White

Okamiden

Dragon Quest

and more

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RichardWrite

Yes it's worth it. Ppl who are saying the DS is dying soon are wrong. Nintendo just said they are going to continue to make games on it for a long time and the DS will co-exist with the 3DS.

Golden Sun

Pokemon Black and White

Okamiden

Dragon Quest

and more

martinX3X

Also Goldeneye and Sims 3.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
i dont think its too late, its like 6 months till the 3DS comes out and it'll be expensive on release ...
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

Golden Sun

Pokemon Black and White

Okamiden

Dragon Quest

and more

martinX3X
they said that about the gamecube once as well ...
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Oh and dont forget Super Scribblenauts this fall. I really think this one will get a 9+

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

anyone who waits for the 3ds is gonna have a massive backlog of great games to buy, not to mention the 3ds games alone. They might as well get a ds now to get a start.

ritz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ritz2

[QUOTE="IvanElk"][QUOTE="RichardWrite"]

RichardWrite

Before you make a fool of yourself again, maybe you should read the original poster's first and second notes in this thread, in which he plainly said tha the is not asking regarding his own situation, but he is asking IF THE PERSON WITHOUT A DS should buy one now.

Now go ahead .... read it. Waiting. Now.....don't you feel silly?

Too bad that is moot considering he gave us information that changes your point in the 4th post. What you're saying is pretty much "Dude in the first post he said..." and you're ignoring a post half a page down to seem correct.
Kuribo_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kuribo_Girl
Member since 2009 • 218 Posts

Hey.. I kinda have the same question, although mine is money related. I want to get my 3 year old son a handheld and don't want to spend a lot.. so I figure that the DS would be getting cheap because of the 3DS coming out. So should I get him a DS now? Is the price going to drop? How much should I look at spending?

-Kleep-
Your boy is 3? Isn't that a tad young for a handheld console? I mean I used to work at a games store and I thought parents asking for DS's for their 5 year olds was a bit much... It is a lot of money to spend on such a young kid, and also I don't know how many games he'd be able to appreciate at that age, it would be difficult for him.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I was going to finally take the plunge and get a DS this year, but its pretty pointless now. I will just pick up DS games to have before the 3Ds comes out.
White_wolf_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 White_wolf_eye
Member since 2009 • 2886 Posts

For me, there are little games besides pokemon that are really good on the DS....im like the only guy that thought all the zelda games werent that great.

LCS2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LCS2008
Member since 2010 • 101 Posts

Yes it is worth it DS is only like $100 now. The 3DS is like $400.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kenny789
I'm very sorry people, I meant to say that I'm using my sister's Lite. I have no DS of my own. If that changes anything then I'm sorry :P So I guess it's just best to wait until the 3DS huh?
LCS2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LCS2008

Yes you should just save up for the 3DS. Why did you just buy your own DS instead of using your sisters DS?

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kenny789

Yes you should just save up for the 3DS. Why did you just buy your own DS instead of using your sisters DS?

LCS2008
I did but like I said it got stolen and I waited for the DSi XL. But then Nintendo announced the 3DS so I don't know what to do now :P I was gonna save up but there's still a few good games to get on the DS.
LCS2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LCS2008

If you are saving up for the 3DS then save extra for vgames.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kenny789

If you are saving up for the 3DS then save extra for vgames.

LCS2008
Yeah that's a good idea, thanks :D
White_wolf_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 White_wolf_eye

LCS2008

400$? woah woah, is this announced? i am not buying it for 400$

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

[QUOTE="LCS2008"]

White_wolf_eye

It won't be 400 a console is that much it will be 200 or 250.

White_wolf_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 White_wolf_eye

[QUOTE="White_wolf_eye"]

[QUOTE="LCS2008"]

spookykid143

good....because how will nintendo make it more expensive then the wii or the xbox 360

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

[QUOTE="White_wolf_eye"]

White_wolf_eye

good....because how will nintendo make it more expensive then the wii or the xbox 360

If they did it would be suicide.

RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RichardWrite

If you can hold off 9 or 10 months before you play any games, fine. I definitely couldn't. But it's official. On LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON, the Nintendo of America president said that North America will get the 3DS "next year."

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kenny789

If you can hold off 9 or 10 months before you play any games, fine. I definitely couldn't. But it's official. On LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON, the Nintendo of America president said that North America will get the 3DS "next year."

RichardWrite
Well I can play games on my sister's Lite so thats not a problem. Still, it's not the same as owning your own :(
Oblivion_540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Oblivion_540
Member since 2009 • 206 Posts

I was considering buying a newer DS model too since i still own the tank(awesome!). Depends if your wallet is pretty deep considering the 3DS not looking pretty cheap...but usually newer is best and in this case it sure is :)