StarFox Wii: the point and click adventure!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

Sorry folks!

If you were expecting a game announcement, you're in the wrong place.

We've all debated about this game, that game.... and within the last 6 months, especially the "on-rails" genre. Some were frustrated with Dead Space being an on-rails game, so loved it. Same goes for the latest Resident Evil entries on the Wii.

All that love StarFox know that it's a different breed of "on-rails" shooters. Giving the player control over their ship while they navigate on a predetermined path. Works pretty well.

I've always pondered how the game would work on the Wii with it's unique set of controls. I used to think that the nunchuk and Wii remote would be the way to go with this series.... up until now.

All that's really needed is just the Wiimote. I titled the topic "point and click adventure" because in reality, that's how the game could be handled. It would still have players travel on the predetermined paths, but instead of controlling your Arwing with a analog stick, just have the aircraft following your aiming reticule. It's still the same basic concept, and there are more than enough buttons to play a simple game like star fox.

B- laser

B(hold)- charge

A- bombs

D-pad < - barrel roll left

D-pad > - barrel roll right

movement- cursor movement

It keeps things simple, the game true to it's genre/history, and even allows for more action going on at once. Anyone can play this, even your grandmother. They could even bundle the game with a Wiiremote/M+ to ensure sales, and more M+ usage.

It's so simple, it's stupid!!!

What do you think?

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I think it'd have classic controls or you hold the Wii-mote vertically and you control it the same way you control Afterburner in the arcade
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
I would rather have flying with the nunchuk and aiming with the remote or vice versa.
wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

Might work, might not. I could see it being fluid at first, but then your arms getting tired. Same with nunchuck. It would seemingly work, but would be too blocky in the end. All I know is that classic controller would beat every other configuration. :)

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

What about the Wii-remote on its side, with tilt functionality, like in Warioware?

SuperMarioNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 SuperMarioNerd
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts

I had the same idea too! But I think the Wii Remote should be combined with the Nunchuk: the Control Stick will handle the Boost (up), Barrel Roll (side), Brakes (down), the Somersault (Hold C, then up on the Control Stick), and the U-Turn (Similar to Somersault, but down). Also, Z should be used to lock-on to targets, as the automatic-targeting system wasn't quite right. Wii Remote tilt should affect the position of the Arwing as well. With the Wii Remote and Nunchuk scheme, Starfox can be a faster-paced game with new level designs centered on the controllers' abilities.

SuperMarioNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SuperMarioNerd
Could sitting on a seat and resting your Remote-hand on your upper leg help? When I do this, I don't feel exhausted by pointing the Remote. Also, I think a retro-based control scheme seems too clunky. Not to mention the game's existence on Wii would be somewhat pointless.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

hmmm....Wii motion plus it and have U-Turns be up on the D-pad and I think we covered the controls.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I would rather have flying with the nunchuk and aiming with the remote or vice versa.gamefan67
What would be the point of aiming with the wiimote, a planes guns are aimed wherever the nose is pointing, so wherever you steer your plane you guns would be aiming there. So there would be no need for the remote to be used for that and then there is the nunchuks limited ability to pick up fine movements. Anyway personally I think Star Fox needs to continue to move away from the convention of the pre determined flight path. Because rail shooters teh suxorz!!! :P j/k But seriously you know what I think would be good? A Star Fox action RPG from Retro.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts
  1. Star Fox, like Sin & Punishment, is not an on-rails shooter, it's a shoot-em-up. If you have to dodge attacks it's a shoot-em-up. Look it up.
  2. The nunchuck thumbstick would have to control the movement as following the cursor would be too slow and inaccurate to dodge the barrage of attacks. They could do it for an easy mode for the casuals, but to play it properly with some semblance of a challenge, it would have to be thumbstick.

What would be the point of aiming with the wiimote, a planes guns are aimed wherever the nose is pointing, so wherever you steer your plane you guns would be aiming there.Sepewrath

It's a space ship, and I'm sure the Cornerian fleet can probably develop the technology to put thier laser guns on mechanical pivots.

Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
Awe...thought it was a game announcement :( lol..As long as they make one and its actually good like assualt and the 64 one,then they can make the controls how they want to make lol
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#12 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

To me Nintendo's best option is to create two different control schemes. One that is more traditional with the analog stick of the nunchuck used to move the airwing and another one where the ship controls pretty much in the same way as it did on the Wario Ware Smooth Moves mini-game. I would pick the later when playing it, but the more options the merrier.

dstaples2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 dstaples2
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I feel that the best control scheme for a starfox wii game would be to control with the remote on its side. Motion could be used to perform different manuevers however such as u-turns, summersaults, and the every popular barrel roll. I don't think pointing at the screen would do justice for Star Fox however, because starfox is about button mashing, and if you had to point at the screen the rapid fire that made starfox 64 so enjoyable would be gone. However if Nintendo decided to make different control schemes to fully utilize the wii remote and then give a classic gaming experience to the rest of us, I'm all for that.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i think it looks a lot like the wii sports resort plane controls, which are pretty nice, but i'd rather have something else. i'd like to see it using the motion+ as a flight stick. if the game stayed all the time flying, that's all that would be needed, but some people (at least i) would miss the on-foot parts, and it's unlikely that they'll leave, so it's probable that the nunchuck would stay attached anyway.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="19061980"]

What would be the point of aiming with the wiimote, a planes guns are aimed wherever the nose is pointing, so wherever you steer your plane you guns would be aiming there.Sepewrath

It's a space ship, and I'm sure the Cornerian fleet can probably develop the technology to put thier laser guns on mechanical pivots.

lol well I'm sure they can come up with tech for making the plane fly itself or matter transporters that eliminate the need for planes completely. But since it is grounded in a reality where we need planes and pilots they should stick to the guns being on the nose on an aircraft with a single pilot.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts
im still of the opinion (and am probably in the vast minority....but screw it :P) that they should scrap the origonal design for starwing and build something more like freelancer (with freelancer type controls). starfox are a mercenary company so ninty could play on that and create a full galaxy to explore (a small-ish one...50-60 star systems). the wii would be stellar at running and controling a game like that.
wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

i dont care about the controls i just want a starfox game for wii

SuperMarioNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SuperMarioNerd

1. Star Fox, like Sin & Punishment, is not an on-rails shooter, it's a shoot-em-up. If you have to dodge attacks it's a shoot-em-up. Look it up.
  2. The nunchuck thumbstick would have to control the movement as following the cursor would be too slow and inaccurate to dodge the barrage of attacks. They could do it for an easy mode for the casuals, but to play it properly with some semblance of a challenge, it would have to be thumbstick.

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]What would be the point of aiming with the wiimote, a planes guns are aimed wherever the nose is pointing, so wherever you steer your plane you guns would be aiming there.19061980

You think the Wii Remote IR is "slow and inaccurate"? I thought, based on the Wii Menu, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy, that the pointer is not only accurate, but fast and precise. I still believe that the IR pointer is capable of 1:1 control with the Arwing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 19061980

[QUOTE="19061980"]

SuperMarioNerd

You think the Wii Remote IR is "slow and inaccurate"? I thought, based on the Wii Menu, Metroid Prime 3, and Mario Galaxy, that the pointer is not only accurate, but fast and precise. I still believe that the IR pointer is capable of 1:1 control with the Arwing.

Bzzz, wrong! Not what I said. Having the ship FOLLOW the pointer would be slow and inaccurate. I never said anything about the pointer being bad.

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts

What about the Wii-remote on its side, with tilt functionality, like in Warioware?

k_smoove
I like that idea. Tilt it to move around, 1 to shoot. 2 for bombs, D-Pad to do barrel rolls and somersaults and flips.
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperMarioNerd"]

[QUOTE="19061980"]

Bzzz, wrong! Not what I said. Having the ship FOLLOW the pointer would be slow and inaccurate. I never said anything about the pointer being bad.

how would it be slow if they program the the ship to follow the pointer precisely?

It would be more than enough time avoid barrages of attacks, and probably allow them to add even more enemies on screen to try to attack you all at once. Think about it... The faster you move, they'd have to put more enemies on screen.

And how in the world is SF not a rail-shooter? It follows a predetermined path. The only difference that it strays away from traditional rail-shooters is the fact that you have the ability to move your ship. It's still on rails, just not your ordinary run of the mil

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
I got one with motion plus B-Shoot B(hold)-charge A=B-Bomb D-pad=Swap weapons/fire Wii-motionplus turning=control your ships barrel rolls 1=pause 2=online multiplayer scoreboard Nunchuk analog-moves ship left and right, up and down C=Turbo Z=Stop Also it should be customizable, and some things can be changed for users who don't prefer it. Without motion plus is same except Dpad=Barrel Roll Dpad up down=change weapons Classic controller should be same as Starfox 64 with classic controller except Dpad=switch weapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 19061980

how would it be slow if they program the the ship to follow the pointer precisely?

It would be more than enough time avoid barrages of attacks, and probably allow them to add even more enemies on screen to try to attack you all at once. Think about it... The faster you move, they'd have to put more enemies on screen.

And how in the world is SF not a rail-shooter? It follows a predetermined path. The only difference that it strays away from traditional rail-shooters is the fact that you have the ability to move your ship. It's still on rails, just not your ordinary run of the mil

danger_ranger95

If the ship WAS the pointer then yeah it would work, and at the same time make the game too easy. Like you say you could just simply move it out of the way. And remember the Wii's hardware limitations, can't have too many enemies on screen.

If the ship was following the pointer then you have the problem of dead zones. When you reach the edge of the screen on Metroid, Samus turns, however with a "predetermined path" you can't turn, so the effect would be that the Arwing would move to the edge and stay there. Metroid's pointer worked fine because it's not fast-paced action with pin point precision (it had lock-on for god's sake). Trying to point your Wiimote constantly at the exact correct place of your TV would be a boring chore.

Also, what if you want your ship to sit in one place (a safe, attack free spot) yet continue to shoot enemies? Can't do that if the ship follows the pointer.

And what about the open space levels where you can completely control what direction the Arwing goes in. How do I turn, shoot, and avoid with just pointer control?

Definition of a shoot-em-up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_%27em_up#Definition

Definition of a light gun game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_gun_shooter#Definition

I'm just making sure people don't lump games like Dead Space: Extraction and House of the Dead: Overkill with game like StarFox and Sin & Punishment into the same genre when they are clearly not.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="danger_ranger95"]

Personally I think that is too easy, you would have insane manuverabilty it wouldn't test your flying capabilties, you would probably spend more time accidentally running into enemy fire then the enemies actually accurately nailing you.
SuperMarioNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SuperMarioNerd

If the ship WAS the pointer then yeah it would work, and at the same time make the game too easy. Like you say you could just simply move it out of the way. And remember the Wii's hardware limitations, can't have too many enemies on screen.

If the ship was following the pointer then you have the problem of dead zones. When you reach the edge of the screen on Metroid, Samus turns, however with a "predetermined path" you can't turn, so the effect would be that the Arwing would move to the edge and stay there. Metroid's pointer worked fine because it's not fast-paced action with pin point precision (it had lock-on for god's sake). Trying to point your Wiimote constantly at the exact correct place of your TV would be a boring chore.

Also, what if you want your ship to sit in one place (a safe, attack free spot) yet continue to shoot enemies? Can't do that if the ship follows the pointer.

And what about the open space levels where you can completely control what direction the Arwing goes in. How do I turn, shoot, and avoid with just pointer control?

Definition of a shoot-em-up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_%27em_up#Definition

Definition of a light gun game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_gun_shooter#Definition

I'm just making sure people don't lump games like Dead Space: Extraction and House of the Dead: Overkill with game like StarFox and Sin & Punishment into the same genre when they are clearly not.

Regarding the pointer: Am I the only one who is able to point on screen indefinitely? I don't think pointer controls really strain the wrist or anything... Also, the pointer-based controls make Arwing flight not only fast, but fluid and precise. By the way, do you remember that, in previous Starfox games, the reticule is aligned the Arwing?

In All-Range Mode, the Arwing is set at the center of the screen. To guide the Arwing, use the pointer. Sharp turns can be executed by tilting the Wii Remote and pointing the cursor in the desired direction. Pressing the A Button will shoot. And avoiding shouldn't be too hard with the Barrel Roll (tapping the Control Stick left or right), Somersault (up on the Control Stick while holding C), and the U-Turn (down on the Control Stick while holding C).

SuperMarioNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SuperMarioNerd
I meant "aligned with the Arwing". My bad.
SuperMarioNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SuperMarioNerd

Sepewrath

Personally I think that is too easy, you would have insane manuverabilty it wouldn't test your flying capabilties, you would probably spend more time accidentally running into enemy fire then the enemies actually accurately nailing you.

Given the enhanced controls, the proposed Starfox game would have more enemies and shots coming at you, giving the game a more action-packed feel and tension. Devious level designs are also possible as well due to the increased manueveraility. And to whoever said that the Wii cannot handle multiple enemies, the Wii is underpowered but NOT THAT weak. Why do people continue to treat the Wii like a PS2? Isn't the Wii technically stronger than the GameCube and similar to the Xbox?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 19061980

Given the enhanced controls, the proposed Starfox game would have more enemies and shots coming at you, giving the game a more action-packed feel and tension. Devious level designs are also possible as well due to the increased manueveraility. And to whoever said that the Wii cannot handle multiple enemies, the Wii is underpowered but NOT THAT weak. Why do people continue to treat the Wii like a PS2? Isn't the Wii technically stronger than the GameCube and similar to the Xbox?

SuperMarioNerd

Infact the Wii is stronger than the Xbox, but as clearly shown in Dead Rising: Chop 'til you Drop, the wii simply cannot handle more than 20 enemies without requiring a severe graphical hit. It's a fact. I'm sure the nintendo dev teams can squeeze a bit more perfomance out of it than capcom did, but the visuals, coupled with the enemy count and the no doubt advanced algorithms needed to have the Arwing follow the pointer accurately, the Wii would not have enough power to do it. With simple "stick-up, move up" controls you might be able to have both the visuals and the enemy count, but all three is very unlikely.

SuperMarioNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SuperMarioNerd

[QUOTE="SuperMarioNerd"]

Infact the Wii is stronger than the Xbox, but as clearly shown in Dead Rising: Chop 'til you Drop, the wii simply cannot handle more than 20 enemies without requiring a severe graphical hit. It's a fact. I'm sure the nintendo dev teams can squeeze a bit more perfomance out of it than capcom did, but the visuals, coupled with the enemy count and the no doubt advanced algorithms needed to have the Arwing follow the pointer accurately, the Wii would not have enough power to do it. With simple "stick-up, move up" controls you might be able to have both the visuals and the enemy count, but all three is very unlikely.

With Starfox, I think having more than five enemies on screen at once is adequate. Twenty enemies may be pushing it. Also, I thought the IR pointer doesn't affect the graphical side of games... Are referring to the Arwing physics based on the Wii Remote?

Noskillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Noskillkill
Member since 2009 • 1116 Posts

I hope they use the controls like they did for wii sports resort, but allow alt. methods for those who dont have wii motion plus.

btw. that misleading topic title. that hurts.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#32 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

We have to slap some sence into nintendo. If they dont release StarFox Wii... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: