Splatoons impression after getting the game

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

the game itself is fun, BUT the teaming is VERY BAD. Their matchmaking system needs A LOT of work. When you have the opposing team made of if all lvl 14, 16, 19, and 12 while the other team is just 1, 3, 2, and 5 you know this is not a fair play. What they could do to fix this is make multiple lobbies like what gunbound does which separates players by lvls

Also more map selection would be nice.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I had no issues with the matchmaking. Well maybe its the individuals. I ended up with a team of 6s and 7s and we beat a team packed of lvl 14 people. Actually we tortured them. We ended up over 70% against them.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Once we get a few weeks in, that's when you'll see match making work a bit better as it has a better spread of samples to match between.

The game comes out tomorrow for me, so I'll give impressions tomorrow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Is the solo campaign good/long enough to justify the game purchase?

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

I'll think about picking it up when it exits early access...

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedom01  Moderator

@phbz: I havent played the solo campaign that much, only did 2 missions, but they rather short and there are hidden comic strips around the maps of the stages (1 for each stage I think) that tells the story behind the campaign

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

It's my favourite Wii U game so far, I was expecting it to be good but I wasn't expecting to like it more than Mario Kart 8.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i won my first 5 matches. i was feeling amazing. then i lost 6 in a row...lol

my team sucked

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Got the game last night w/3 pack amiibo. Played some on line turf war but didn't enter matches yet. Had a friend over to play dojo which was fun but awkward on pro controller for me. Really liked tbe single player story mode.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Haven't played online yet but I did beat the first boss on single player, and I have to say not being able to use the R stick to aim is SO UNNATURAL to me. I mean, SCREW YOU Nintendo for forcing me to use the gyroscope controls!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trugs26

Got the game today. And man is it fun.

Played through to the first boss on the campaign, played 3 levels of the amiibo challenge, unlocked some outfits and hit level 6 online.

So I've only just begun the game, but I'm totally in tune with the mechanics. I love the default splatter jr weapon. It's playing the aggressive "forward" position in the team. Basically rollers cover the ground and get points, while I go forward and try to push the enemy back. I really love the squid/shooting combination.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trugs26

FYI for everyone, there is an official "squid research" tumblr page.

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

The second online mode unlocked once enough people reach level 10. Apparently within 2 days of the world launch, we have already hit over 50%. Looks like the mode will unlock pretty soon!

Also, a funny piece of information came from this page too. There is a legit cheat code that allows this:
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/120246428234/one-of-our-scientists-has-made-a-rather-stunning#notes

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedom01  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas: You can turn off the gyroscope contrils in the option menu

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@freedom01 said:

@JustPlainLucas: You can turn off the gyroscope contrils in the option menu

Ah, OK. I should have figured that was a possibility.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

I've played the game for maybe two hours or so thus far and I played during the Global Testfire as well. So I have a decent idea of how it is.

It's really fun, and I can easily see myself being addicted to it in the long run. It's a unique shooter that's very Nintendo. It's becomes really fun once you get a hang of the mechanics and the controls. During the Global Testfire I hated the gyro controls, but hated the analog controls even more. So I wasn't really feeling the game. Since then though, I've learned how to play fairly well with Gyro and can't imagine using the analog sticks at all. It's less intuitive and less accurate. I like the various types of weapons in the game, especially the paint roller. Also, the game had a tremendous social following since it was announced and it's integrated into the game well. The central hub, Inkopolis Plaza (where you can customize your character and weapons) is so stylized, it's incredibly charming. I just love how unique this game is compared to everything else in the genre. Plus, the characters names make me laugh -- like Spyke, a spiky haired Sea Urchin and Crusty Sean, the Japanese tiger prawn wearing a tempura outfit, are so damn weird that I love it.

My biggest complaints are mostly slight annoyances. The biggest one being that you can't change your loadout without exiting your current lobby. Thankfully though, finding a game doesn't take very long. Only have two maps in rotation every 4 hours is annoying, I'd like to be able to vote each game instead. There should be voicechat in the game, but I don't feel like the lack of it deters from the game. Since Turf Wars is designed around the idea of having your teams ink cover the majority of the map, the visual cues do enough to easily create a strategy with your team. It'd be nice to have parties chats/joining a party with your friends. Also, those two sisters who talk every time you boot up the game -- and you can't skip it, is infuriating.

I've yet to try single player but I look forward to the boss fights, though I think that's fairly short.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@fishpockets: Awesome feedback mate, i think youve pretty much summed up what weve been hearing so far. I think they will let us skip them soon.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bunchanumbers

I'm in the middle of the single player campaign. I love it. Its like Mario Galaxy with the islands and I'm still having trouble finding the sunken scrolls. It goes a long way towards explaining the history of the world and gives bits of information about squid life in general. Otherwise I'm closing in on lvl 20 and am usually a factor in most of my matches. Can't get enough of this! Looking forward to ranked matches and to all the different gear. I guess my only complaint is that they need to make the Squid Sisters say more stuff. I don't mind them talking and not being able to skip it, but it would be nice if it could be mixed up a bit.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KBFloYd

this is a cool cover of the splatoon song

Loading Video...

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I preordered the 3 pack splatoon amiibo, but haven't got the game yet. I am encouraged by what I am reading here, and am going to get the game as soon as possible. Glad to here most of the experiences are good so far.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trugs26

@Collie_Lover: What's the holdup for you? Why hasn't your copy arrived yet?

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@trugs26: I was only able to afford a preorder for the Splatoon Amiibo or Splatoon the game at the time. I chose to get the Amiibo first. The price of the game is not going to come down for a long time I am guessing, so I am going to use a rewards coupon to knock the price down a little. I don't usually pay full release prices for games.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

I'm having lots of trouble connecting online. It was fine yesterday and the previous, but today Kimi can rarely start a match. And when I do the connection is so bad I often get dropped.

I'll try to join regular battle, then a counter will appear with a message "joining battle", but when the counter finishes counting down it gets frozen in a results screen.

My LAN works perfectly fine.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

The final boss in the game's story mode is really awesome and gets kinda intense at times if you haven't gotten to it yet. The music for the boss is awesome.I have yet to get over 1000 points in a turf war match. The matchmaking in the online MP could be way better anyway.People really love to post spongebob related references and other weird stuff on the game's miiverse.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 freedom01  Moderator

@super600: beat the last boss on the campaign mode yesterday, it was really fun. But after that last boss fight, now I want the soundtrack for this game.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trugs26

Who here is past level 10? I just hit it last night. Bring on the ranked battles!

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bunchanumbers

@trugs26 said:

Who here is past level 10? I just hit it last night. Bring on the ranked battles!

lol I just maxed out. Spike is now offering me the option to upgrade my gear with extra slots and the option to reroll gear slots if said gear is already maxed out.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KBFloYd

@elheber said:

I'm having lots of trouble connecting online. It was fine yesterday and the previous, but today Kimi can rarely start a match. And when I do the connection is so bad I often get dropped.

I'll try to join regular battle, then a counter will appear with a message "joining battle", but when the counter finishes counting down it gets frozen in a results screen.

strange man...do you get this in smash or mario kart?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 trugs26

@bunchanumbers said:
@trugs26 said:

lol I just maxed out. Spike is now offering me the option to upgrade my gear with extra slots and the option to reroll gear slots if said gear is already maxed out.

Whoa! How much did you play over the weekend! XD Nice work.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 elheber
@KBFloYd said:
@elheber said:

strange man...do you get this in smash or mario kart?

I powered through it and it slowly just went away within an hour or two. I didn't try any other game as I really wanted to play Splatoon and a thousand-man army could not stop me if they tried. My best guys is that it was my cable internet service having extremely high traffic since it just went away on its own.

Still, the way the game just froze on a "results" screen when I hadn't even gotten to connect to a game was a bad way of handling bad connections. The game technically wasn't frozen (I think) because if I tried to hit the home button it would give me the "unable" icon when you try to hit home while online. And so the game despite not being frozen didn't let me back out of that screen because there's no "back" option during online play except for a single point after a match.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 elheber

@super600: I was getting 1000+ matches within my first couple of levels. Are you playing without gyro controls?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By trugs26

In terms of map preference, here's mine:

Arowana Mall > Blackbelly Skatepark > Urchin Underpass > Saltspray Rig > Walleye Warehouse

For my play style, aggressive forward (splattershot pro), I prefer the long maps with ramps. Maps like Saltspray Rig seem to benefit rollers more.

Even though I placed it last, I still like Walleye Warehouse, I just prefer others over it. Overall, very happy with the maps.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@trugs26 said:

I got to level 10 yesterday evening as well, with some delay.

Found myself completely hooked on the addicting singleplayer that I finished it in one long sit lol.
Can't wait to progress more on the Amiibo challenges.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@elheber said:

@super600: I was getting 1000+ matches within my first couple of levels. Are you playing without gyro controls?

No. I use the analog controls since I like those better. I max out in a good match around 700 points(I usually don't win the matches were I end up this high.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d7734d3cfbd
deactivated-57d7734d3cfbd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 deactivated-57d7734d3cfbd
Member since 2004 • 2356 Posts

I'm going to elect to pass on a Wii U for now. Splatoon doesn't really interest me.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bunchanumbers

@tysonwritesel said:

I'm going to elect to pass on a Wii U for now. Splatoon doesn't really interest me.

uhh ok. Why are you posting on a thread for people who bought the game and are looking for their impressions?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d7734d3cfbd
deactivated-57d7734d3cfbd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57d7734d3cfbd
Member since 2004 • 2356 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:
@tysonwritesel said:

uhh ok. Why are you posting on a thread for people who bought the game and are looking for their impressions?

I figured the OP was just giving his review.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 elheber
@super600 said:

No. I use the analog controls since I like those better. I max out in a good match around 700 points(I usually don't win the matches were I end up this high.

I honestly believe you're handicapping yourself by playing sans gyro. You might be thinking, "well I play other shooters just fine in DA." The thing is... outside of single-player Splatoon doesn't have aim assist like other dual-analog shooters. In Splatoon, you're playing dual-analog raw and unflavored. It turns out all those aim assist spices were hiding the bland taste all along.

That or maybe you just haven't found the right loadout to match your playstyle.

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lord_Magikarp

pros

-unique gameplay

-transitions between squid and person are cool

-minigame while waiting is cool i guess

-fun core gameplay

cons

-little strategy when there is no communication (more akin to call of duty than a strategic shooter)

-matchmaking pair players with higher levels

-maps dont feel unique

-little amount of maps

-annoying and uncreative characters and designs for npcs

-customization feels limited

-range on guns is hard to judge

-gyro controls suck

-story mode is more of a challenge mode if anything

-map on the gamepad is aweful because it is where you judge to go next and I usually am looking at the screen not the gamepad

-hub is boring

-cant switch weapons mid game (#paintrollerteam) ( or even in the lobby)

-weapons and special moves have 1 to 1 pairing

-weapons are very similar in their classes

->>internet connections are bad<<

I feel like this game could have been better, especially with some sort of communication. Maybe we could get new strategy like maybe two people stay back and guard to make more people weary of your ink. There really are just a lot of very little details Nintendo is missing that many other online shooters would have making it feel like a child friendly call of duty where people are spawn camping and spamming nades. The world isnt interesting and the customization feels subpar at best. At the core though the gameplay is fun, but it always feels like it could be more. I was constantly being kicked out of matches due to internet as well...

final score: 5/10, im ready for your hate

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KBFloYd

@lord_magikarp said:

pros

-unique gameplay

-fun core gameplay

cons

-little strategy when there is no communication (more akin to call of duty than a strategic shooter)

-maps dont feel unique

-little amount of maps

-gyro controls suck

-map on the gamepad is aweful because it is where you judge to go next and I usually am looking at the screen not the gamepad

-hub is boring

I feel like this game could have been better, especially with some sort of communication. Maybe we could get new strategy like maybe two people stay back and guard to make more people weary of your ink. There really are just a lot of very little details Nintendo is missing that many other online shooters would have making it feel like a child friendly call of duty where people are spawn camping and spamming nades. The world isnt interesting and the customization feels subpar at best. At the core though the gameplay is fun, but it always feels like it could be more.

youre an idiot

/hate

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lord_Magikarp

@KBFloYd said:
@lord_magikarp said:

pros

-unique gameplay

-fun core gameplay

cons

-maps dont feel unique

-little amount of maps

-gyro controls suck

-hub is boring

I feel like this game could have been better, especially with some sort of communication. Maybe we could get new strategy like maybe two people stay back and guard to make more people weary of your ink. There really are just a lot of very little details Nintendo is missing that many other online shooters would have making it feel like a child friendly call of duty where people are spawn camping and spamming nades. The world isnt interesting and the customization feels subpar at best. At the core though the gameplay is fun, but it always feels like it could be more.

youre an idiot

/hate

</3 valid complaints are hard

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By elheber

@lord_magikarp:

Pros

• Gyro control is fantastic.
  • NPCs have a lot of personality with as little dialogue as they have.
  • Single-player campaign is much more substantive than expected (from a game toted as multiplayer focused).
  • Unique, deceptively simple gameplay has a lot of hidden depth and strategy not immediately noticeable.
  • Character design is adorable ALL over. How? How... how did they do this?
  • The music, holy f***, so good.

Cons

• I've had very bad connectivity issues.
  • Small selection of initial multiplayer maps.
  • No voice chat.
  • Matchmaking seems to match me with players about 10 levels above me (maybe I'm just good or something?)
  • The sisters. I forgot their names. Marie and what's her face.

Overall Score: 82/100

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lord_Magikarp

@elheber said:

@lord_magikarp:

Pros

• Gyro control is fantastic.
  • NPCs have a lot of personality with as little dialogue as they have.
  • Single-player campaign is much more substantive than expected (from a game toted as multiplayer focused).
  • Unique, deceptively simple gameplay has a lot of hidden depth and strategy not immediately noticeable.
  • Character design is adorable ALL over. How? How... how did they do this?
  • The music, holy f***, so good.

Cons

• I've had very bad connectivity issues.
  • Small selection of initial multiplayer maps.
  • No voice chat.
  • Matchmaking seems to match me with players about 10 levels above me (maybe I'm just good or something?)
  • The sisters. I forgot their names. Marie and what's her face.

Overall Score: 82/100

it feels like cod that is actually meant for kids to play... The characters are bad and there are some more faults with the game, 5/10 be fair

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KBFloYd

here is another con....

you cant tie!

Loading Video...

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lord_Magikarp

@KBFloYd: loooooooooooooooooooooool, its the small things nintendo really messes up. it feels sloppy

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Do you think this is one of the best, if not the best use of motion control?

When you learn how to use it quickly and in conjunction with the right analog stick for moving the camera frame left and right, it is a deadly combination.

Real question here, considering there are not many good examples of motion controls it is not that hard of an accomplishment.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bunchanumbers

@thedude- said:

Do you think this is one of the best, if not the best use of motion control?

When you learn how to use it quickly and in conjunction with the right analog stick for moving the camera frame left and right, it is a deadly combination.

Real question here, considering there are not many good examples of motion controls it is not that hard of an accomplishment.

Captain Toad used motion controls for aiming in the minecart levels. But the ratio of turning is way higher on Splatoon. You only need simple tilting to aim like a pro. Captain Toad may have been the beginning, but Splatoon feels like the apex of motion control aiming.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Captain Toad used motion controls for aiming in the minecart levels. But the ratio of turning is way higher on Splatoon. You only need simple tilting to aim like a pro. Captain Toad may have been the beginning, but Splatoon feels like the apex of motion control aiming.

You use the gamepad as a window in the minecart levels, though, just like in the 3DS Zelda remakes. That kind of aiming works incredibly well.

The only example of gyro aiming like Splatoon I can think of is Star Fox 64 3D, and that was horrible. If you didn't have to tilt the actual screen you're supposed to be looking at, maybe it would've been awesome, just like it is in Splatoon. Now that I think about it, I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the WiiU Star Fox gyro controls work. If Splatoon is any indication, they could be fantastic.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

In love with this game! Got it last week and just can't seem to put it down. Really fun and fresh gameplay, interesting weapons and level design, quick matches that seem tense all the way through. It's the most fun I've had in a Multiplayer shooter since the Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 days.

I actually like that it doesn't have voice chat. Sure, it's great for talking tactics when you've got a good team together. Normally all you get is a barrage of swearing and nonsense though and I'm so bored of it quite frankly. I love the motion controls too, nice to fine tune your aiming and feels so natural I don't even realise I'm using it half the time. I've had no connection issues and it's always easy getting a match too. Some times of the day I'm playing mostly Japanese people but I don't see that as an issue with no voice chat. I always find it kind of cool playing people across the globe.

Flaws for me are the lack of maps and the 2 maps changing every 4 hours. Hopefully lots more maps are coming, I've seen previous of at least a few more. I see the reason for locking 2 maps and cycling them but it should be every hour or something. Also hate the announcers coming up every time it changes or you start the game, why can't you skip this?

All in all it's a fantastic game though and I can see me playing it a lot! Probably in my top 3 Wii U games.

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lord_Magikarp

@thedude-:The gyro controls never appealed to me, it always felt like a gimmick than a way to be precise.

@bulby_g: I hope they come out with more unique maps... I've kinda had it playing steel and box for the 10th time in a row