Splatoon thoughts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

So in 2014 when this game was announced, i quickly dismissed it because it looked kiddy/stupid.... Squids, spraying paint... i thought it would flop for sure. I thought nintendo's marketing would fail. Well, after the reviews, and the additional content, i figured i'd give the game a shot. Seems like people liked the game and it was plain FUN.

Within minutes/hours of first playing the game i fell in love. Easy to learn, more difficult to master. Nintendo really put some thought into the weapons/level design. It's much more, than i originally anticipated. What some people call the flaws of the game (no voice chat ) i actually think is a positive. I'm not a big COD, or FPS games, but this kinda makes you think and estimate what your team mates are doing. All in all, i'd have to say this is probably my favorite game released this year. Even better than Batman and Mortal Kombat, which are two of my favorite franchises.

If you own a Wii U ... i strongly recommend trying this game out! I think you'll find that it is difficult to put down.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@The-Butcher248: voice chat isn't really necessary in games that don't require teamwork or strategy (most FPS games; ones, like Counterstrike and Team Fortress do though). Splatoon would actually benefit from voicechat, especially in ranked. The other day I was playing with my buddies in splat zones and an enemy was trying to come behind us and flank; I didn't see him but my friend did. Had we not been on skype and told me the guy was right behind me, the scrub would have killed us both.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I can see where some people would love the voice chat option, i'm just saying for me, i'm fine without it. I feel like there are certain things in the game, you can't avoid (specialty ink splats), and it's not intended to take away from the strategy, but leveling the playing fields a bit. I think nintendo thought it would be more fun without the voice chat option.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@The-Butcher248: Thats pretty cool your enjoying the game, its also my favorite game of the year. I agree i love that it has no voice chat, you have to actually pay attention and think about whats going on and you dont have to worry about teammates talking to much. Its also awesome when your team works together to achieve something, like a sniper bothering everyone, it makes it very rewarding. I agree this is a must have game for every Wii U owner.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

its my favorite multiplayer wiiU game this gen...barely edging out smash bros. mario kart in third.

for single player i like hyrule warriors, monster hunter 3 ultimate,pikmin3 better...zelda and xenoblade might fit here too when they release.

i have bayonetta but...i only played a couple hours of 1 and havnt touched 2......i need to get to it someday :P

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#6 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@KBFloYd: Bayo 1 took me a long time to beat has it is quite wierd and well, not that great, but I wanted to know the "story". Bayo 2 on the other hand is really good and there is just one scene that won't have the same impact if you didn't played the first one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-58bd60b980002

As for Splatoon I liked it, it is really fun online but I got bored with it once I hit the level 16 somewhere during july and just stopped playing it. I still prefer Mario Kart or something else on another consol.

As for my game of the year hum ... well for the WiiU I'll prefer to give it to Captain Toad.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@The-Butcher248: Splatoon is an addictively fun game and you summed it up pretty well. There are so many weapons to experiment with and soon the player finds the weapons that best fits his play style. You really know when your fighting against other people who have found the right weapons for them because they are amazing with them.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KBFloYd

@Coco_pierrot said:

As for Splatoon I liked it, it is really fun online but I got bored with it once I hit the level 16 somewhere during july and just stopped playing it. I still prefer Mario Kart or something else on another consol.

As for my game of the year hum ... well for the WiiU I'll prefer to give it to Captain Toad.

what on another console is better than splatoon?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jcrame10

@KBFloYd: last of us multiplayer

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KBFloYd

@jcrame10 said:

@KBFloYd: last of us multiplayer

i wasnt talking to you... but hey if you like that ok...

uncharted had a cool MP also.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

Splatoon is my favorite Wii U game currently, and by a large margin. Once I found my favorite weapon set, you'd need a sturdy lever and fulcrum to pry my hands of the GamePad.

I used to want voice chat, but then as I fell more and more in love with the inkling world and culture, I can't help but to think that hearing a man's deep voice from an inkling's mouth would take me out of the moment so hard. If they could put our voices through filters so that we all sound like squid kids, then I'd be ok with adding voice chat.

If there's one lesson to be taken from this game, it's that gyro control is finally ready for the prime time in competitive shooters.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jcrame10

@KBFloYd: you asked, you received.

The witcher 3 is pretty bomb and GOTY comes out on Tuesday- metal gear solid (**** yo fallout 4) lol

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KBFloYd

@jcrame10 said:

@KBFloYd: you asked, you received.

The witcher 3 is pretty bomb and GOTY comes out on Tuesday- metal gear solid (**** yo fallout 4) lol

i asked him... i already know you are shitstation lover. i wanted to see if he was yet another sony dumbass or something different.

witcher looks boring. metal gear is good though....fallout 4 is great as well im sure.

i dont mind missing out on those games though...im at a point in my gamming life that i dont care.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It was fun for the first couple of weeks, but I don't know how people continuously keep playing this game. I couldn't even make the grind past level 10.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KBFloYd

@JustPlainLucas said:

It was fun for the first couple of weeks, but I don't know how people continuously keep playing this game. I couldn't even make the grind past level 10.

did you win a lot?..... splat people in awesome ways over and over?

its like a drug...getting that splat on a person to win the territory or the game is a rush.

thats why i keep playing anyway.

first time i got that feeling was call of duty back in the wii days.....that made me a shooter fan.

some people are good at fighting games and thats why they play street fighter or smash for years after it comes out.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JustPlainLucas

@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

its like a drug...getting that splat on a person to win the territory or the game is a rush.

first time i got that feeling was call of duty back in the wii days.....that made me a shooter fan.

some people are good at fighting games and thats why they play street fighter or smash for years after it comes out.

I dunno... the pull just wasn't strong enough for me. I have so many other games to play, books to read, movies to watch, work, etc., etc., that I just don't have the time to splat someone for the 10,000th time.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KBFloYd

@JustPlainLucas said:
@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

I dunno... the pull just wasn't strong enough for me. I have so many other games to play, books to read, movies to watch, work, etc., etc., that I just don't have the time to splat someone for the 10,000th time.

i see... the rush you got from a splat win was not that good.

some people feel it more than others.....i see the skill and precision needed so when i do it i feel like i accomplished something.

for you it was just like...oh...meh

not every game is for everyone...

let me ask you... do you have a multiplayer game that you go back to and have been playing for almost a year?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@The-Butcher248: Glad you're enjoying it. It's my personal GOTY and probably my favourite Wii U game overall. I've been playing this game daily ever since launch. It's really nice to play in short bursts every night (30 minutes usually, but sometimes I go over an hour).

I still haven't hit S+ rank. Getting close though. That's my main goal for the game.

Azure64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Azure64bit
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

Splatoon is a really fun and addictive game. Really sets itself apart from other shooters and demands teamwork to win. Most of all, it's Splatoon's charm that wins me over. The whole world is just so colorful and fun with all the ink, fashion choices, atmosphere, and just everything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@KBFloYd: Right now I enjoy Bloodborne way more than Splatoon. Just because it isn't an online focused MP game and having a difficult game for a change is fun too. Because Splatoon single player like most Nintendo single player are really easy, it is fun to actually have a challenge for once.

I would enjoy Splatoon more if it had all the online mode avalaible offline with bots or in a 2 players just like for Unreal. I still play Unreal tournament 3 because of that.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jcrame10

@KBFloYd: I would expect nothing less from a close minded fanboy.

Moonmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Moonmen
Member since 2015 • 72 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

some people feel it more than others.....i see the skill and precision needed so when i do it i feel like i accomplished something.

let me ask you... do you have a multiplayer game that you go back to and have been playing for almost a year?

over a year

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JustPlainLucas

@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Nope. Just not much of a multiplayer gamer. Spending so much time on any game doing any kind of objective over and over again makes me feel like I'm wasting time when I could be playing other games that have completely fresh experiences.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

The advance techniques for Splatoon are surprising and unexpected. I never realized that its way faster to just turn and press Y than to turn around with the analog stick. I'm still learning the method, but its really helped me when I needed to turn quick. I turn so fast that I catch my enemies off guard and usually get away with a Splatting.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Everyone has heard that age old saying about first impressions. The first week of playing was interesting to say the least but that was it. Will I ever buy it again? No. Will I ever play it again? Doubtful. What I disliked were the lack of communication, limited number of maps in a time period, an essentially useless hub and a poor presentation. Perhaps the updates have addressed some of these issues but the first impression will have a big effect.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Splatoon is a great game plain and simple. I like ALMOST everything about it.

Sidenote: It's going to be interesting to see how people that are used to the gyro controls now feel when they are forced to go back to standard Dual Analog controls on another FPS lol They will finally understand what the WiiMote users have been saying about Dual Analogs feeling stiff and not as accurate.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

@ Not into shooters but tried the demo anyways as I wanted to participate in a trial. Well of course I liked the game and wished I had preordered 3 pack amiibo. Luckily I was able to get it along with the game at a midnight release at Meijer. I enjoy the single player mode beside the multiplayer mode. Rank battles are fun and a quick way to level up quicker than playing in turf wars.

@nini200 I think the gyro controls we are using in Splatoon will help when the new Star Fox Zero comes out.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By elheber

@nini200: I have to tell you a little story. I'm the "cool uncle" to my nephews who range from being 3 years younger than me to the youngest being 10 right now. He's the kid this story is about, nini.

Do you know what I caught him doing? He disabled the gyro controls in Splatoon because that's what the YouTubers he watched did with their game. I bought him his copy of Splatoon along with mine on launch, and we play together every weekend taking turns on my account. Some time in July, I noticed he switched motion control off and I asked him why. He was playing noticeably worse whereas before he was steadily growing at a similar rate I was. He couldn't tell me why, he just said he liked it more this way but I could tell he was lying.

Then it came to me like an epiphany. I asked him, already knowing the answer, "Danny... did you turn it off because the YouTubers you watch turned it off?" Zack Scott, what have you done. He said that "everyone" turned it off. I pointed out the only other ones I knew off the top of my head, the guys at GameXplain play with gyro enabled.

Then this last Splatfest he noticed that SwimmingBird (a fairly popular YT player) joined my lobby on my Decepticon team. I didnt' know who he was but I told Danny that I was going to rock SwimmingBird's score to prove a point about motion control. I go ham in Splatoon, afterall. Nini, I tell you what... I got 3rd place that match despite doing spectacularly well in points. SwimmingBird got 1st place. "Danny, there's no way he's playing with gyro off if he could beat my score."

The next morning we threw up his last video on the TV and sure enough, the man plays with motion controls ON. "IN YOUR FACE!" I rubbed it in so hard and haven't let up since. "WHERE ARE YOUR GODS NOW?!"

GYRO FOREVER.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nini200

@elheber said:

@nini200: I have to tell you a little story. I'm the "cool uncle" to my nephews who range from being 3 years younger than me to the youngest being 10 right now. He's the kid this story is about, nini.

Do you know what I caught him doing? He disabled the gyro controls in Splatoon because that's what the YouTubers he watched did with their game. I bought him his copy of Splatoon along with mine on launch, and we play together every weekend taking turns on my account. Some time in July, I noticed he switched motion control off and I asked him why. He was playing noticeably worse whereas before he was steadily growing at a similar rate I was. He couldn't tell me why, he just said he liked it more this way but I could tell he was lying.

Then it came to me like an epiphany. I asked him, already knowing the answer, "Danny... did you turn it off because the YouTubers you watch turned it off?" Zack Scott, what have you done. He said that "everyone" turned it off. I pointed out the only other ones I knew off the top of my head, the guys at GameXplain play with gyro enabled.

Then this last Splatfest he noticed that SwimmingBird (a fairly popular YT player) joined my lobby on my Decepticon team. I didnt' know who he was but I told Danny that I was going to rock SwimmingBird's score to prove a point about motion control. I go ham in Splatoon, afterall. Nini, I tell you what... I got 3rd place that match despite doing spectacularly well in points. SwimmingBird got 1st place. "Danny, there's no way he's playing with gyro off if he could beat my score."

The next morning we threw up his last video on the TV and sure enough, the man plays with motion controls ON. "IN YOUR FACE!" I rubbed it in so hard and haven't let up since. "WHERE ARE YOUR GODS NOW?!"

GYRO FOREVER.

Lol you are nuts and I love it LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

I was hooked on the Aereospray and Inkstrike as my primary weapon for months. scored in the 900's with a loss in the 1200's with a win consistent.

This last Splatfest I started a new inkling,

The Splattershot Jr is so OP and awesome!!

I was racking up 1400-1500 rounds with that bad boy.

Come get some

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 elheber

When I reached level 25, I had avoided playing Ranked Battle because I wanted to be at the top of my game with all my gear leveled and re-rolled to my liking before joining that competitive mode. Although my gear isn't quite there yet, last Sunday I was unable to wait any longer and I jumped into Ranked mode for the first time ever.

I was level 25 while everyone in the lobbies were level 10 to 14. I then proceeded to stomp on these poor souls mercilessly for what must have seemed to the opposing teams as shameful acts of abuse. If you can imagine what it would look like if you dropped a hungry coyote into a small chicken coop of sleeping hens and then locked the door, that is what the matches became.

I didn't count, but it only took me a surprisingly few number of matches to reach level 26 and rank C+ because the knockout bonuses are too gud, and decide that I should quit to save some for later. Being in C rank is the fastest way to level up. My plan is to let my nephew play ranked mode on my account just so I can stay in C.

@Nuck81 Yeah, that set and the accompanying Bubbler is fantastic. There's more Krakens in the wild than there are Bubblers, but encounter for encounter the Bubblers splat me more than Krakens. Plus that little thing covers so much ground that if you leave someone with a Splattershot Jr. alive, they are guaranteed to cover more ground than you can compensate for. Formidable opponents, you be.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Wasn't sure where to post this, but wanted to celebrate. Finally got to S+ rank tonight! Starting to own those S rank players now.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jcrame10

@nini200: Splatoon is not a FPS (but it does sort of play like one)

I bet a lot of people use the regular analog sticks in Splatoon. I know I hated the motion controls, can never keep the camera steady.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nini200

@jcrame10 said:

@nini200: Splatoon is not a FPS (but it does sort of play like one)

I bet a lot of people use the regular analog sticks in Splatoon. I know I hated the motion controls, can never keep the camera steady.

I'm sure a lot of people do use Dual Analogs in it but I'm curious to see how people that got used to the gyro controls go back to traditional Dual Analogs. I'm sure when they try them again, they'll say "How did I used to use this control method" as they'll feel restricted and they'll be moving the controller around with no camera movement happening on screen lol

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 elheber
@nini200 said:

I'm sure a lot of people do use Dual Analogs in it but I'm curious to see how people that got used to the gyro controls go back to traditional Dual Analogs. I'm sure when they try them again, they'll say "How did I used to use this control method" as they'll feel restricted and they'll be moving the controller around with no camera movement happening on screen lol

I can go back to dual analog fairly easily. It's like riding a bike. But this only works in other games, not Splatoon. In Splatoon, when someone plays on my account and I forget to switch the options before starting another match, I'm forced to play without motion. It's super hard.

HOWEVER, for other games it doesn't take more than a few minutes to get back into the groove. I don't particularly like it, it's not ideal and those games are designed with the faults of Dual Analog in mind. For example, MGS V automatically targets enemies for you. Call of Duty and Halo have massive amounts of aim assist (the movement of your aim speeds up if it's moving toward a target but slows down if it's moving away from a target to help you stay on target). Any many other games "snap" to targets when you press the aim-down-sights button.

Those games are designed around the limits of Dual Analog. IMHO, for those games, at the very least when you press the ADS or aim button, they should enable gyro for quick and precise shots. Analog for broad strokes, gyro for refined aiming.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

There's a new type of Splatling coming.

Mini Splatling is Coming To Splatoon

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
@GameboyTroy said:

There's a new type of Splatling coming.

Mini Splatling is Coming To Splatoon

Too bad, Splatoon really needs another Roller.

Just not enough of them out there

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

Yeah, Nintendo is a true paradise for shooter fans. All those games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KBFloYd

@nethernova said:
@KBFloYd said:

Yeah, Nintendo is a true paradise for shooter fans. All those games.

goldeneye64 started it all....

but it wasnt until they invented motion controls that i was able to play them.

i couldnt use the n64 controller or the dual analogs of other systems.

PC was the answer but i never tried it before...i should have....mouse is very easy to use like motion controls.