So with the 3DS will some gamers get what they've wanted for years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
That is, a fully 3D pokemon game? Not everyone wanted/wants this obviously but I know that it's been asked for constantly since probably the N64 era. I think Nintendo always felt that the main Pokemon games belonged to the handhelds and with B&W being partly 3D and now the 3DS being tons more powerful than the DS surely that means it's time has come? What do you guys think, will we finally see a fully 3D Pokemon, and if so when?
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

What I see is a Pokemon with the same style and camera angle from above with polished graphics, more of the same, and extra stuff. I would love that the battles could look as good as Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Well its going to be a good three years before we get the 6th gen. (grey won't bring much new) But I would guess the 6th gen will bring the biggest generational gaps in the pokemon games

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I'd still love to see a significant overhaul of the Pokemon formula, because once you've played one Pokemon game, you've pretty much played all of them.

Of course every time I say that I realize that I'm not in the game's target market, because Pokemon fans just want same ol' same ol'.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

People are getting Mega Man Legends 3. People have been wanting a new Mega Man Legends for awhile. Games that use 3D movement like Mario 64 can now be played accurately because of the analog stick. The big reason why most games on DS stuck to 2D movement was because there was no analog stick. Metroid Prime hunters was awkward. Mario 64 was awkward.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Can someone explain to me the reason for being against 3D battles in Pokemon? With no sprites?

I guess I understand the want to keep it 3D top down (like the current ones) but is there something in the gameplay that would be altered if the Pokemon had 3D character models?

I always thought they should have more animations, and since its a turn based battle they could make them look super super awesome with great character models despite any hardware limit since not much is going on and everything is really controlled.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I bet four cookies that the 3DS Pokemon will use 2D Pokemon sprites and the attacks will pop out in 3D.
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

I really want a game similar to Pokemon Coliseum. Loved those games..

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

What ZumaJones said, maybe.... Anyway, I would love a Pokemon adventure game that's in 3D. Kinda like what that Pikachu Adventure game looks like on the Wii, but harder (I've never played the game personally, but I heard it was a cake walk). I've been dying for this since the GameCube I think. Gale of Darkness and the other game like it only got it somewhat right. I'd want them to take it ALL the way. None of this "dark Pokemon needs to be trained and purified" stuff.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

To make 700+ pokemon 3D seems a task to big I would believe

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

That is, a fully 3D pokemon game?bobbetybob

I wanted a Gen I&II Pokemon MMO....

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
Wouldn't packing hundreds of individual models, each with different animations and skeletons, plus a huge 3D map and 3D characters into a single card be too much?
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

LaytonsCat
I agree. It was possible on the N64 with Pokemon Stadium because there were only 251 and no game attached with it. To make a 3DS game Pokemon game with a full fledged adventure and 700+ 3D models will take a very long time and would be huge in terms of sheer size.
pizzamanopenup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 pizzamanopenup
Member since 2005 • 1350 Posts

Depends on the quality of the graphics and indirectly the size of the models. With 2 GB, I'm sure they could do it to some degree of professionalism.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

I would like to have the battles look like Blazblue with that crisp 2D action. You can select you attacks and view the wonderful lively animations going on.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

Depends on the quality of the graphics and indirectly the size of the models. With 2 GB, I'm sure they could do it to some degree of professionalism.

pizzamanopenup

The Gamecube Pokemon games were only 1.4 GB, and I'm sure that with 3DS cartridges going up to 8 GB something decent will happen.

pizzamanopenup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 pizzamanopenup
Member since 2005 • 1350 Posts

Wow, they go up to 8 GB? I must have been confusing it with the SD card that comes with it.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
you mean a free large pizza with every game i buy? sorry the 3ds does not fulfill my wishes. on another note screw that 3ds yugioh = win lol
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dzimm

Wouldn't packing hundreds of individual models, each with different animations and skeletons, plus a huge 3D map and 3D characters into a single card be too much?Tuky06

No. 3D models and animations don't actually take up that much space since they're small data files containing a list of points that are rendered in realtime. 2D sprites actually use more memory because they require hundreds of individual frames.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LaytonsCat

[QUOTE="Tuky06"]Wouldn't packing hundreds of individual models, each with different animations and skeletons, plus a huge 3D map and 3D characters into a single card be too much?dzimm

No. 3D models and animations don't actually take up that much space since they're small data files containing a list of points that are rendered in realtime. 2D sprites actually use more memory because they require hundreds of individual frames.

but 3D models are still harder to make and look good

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dzimm

but 3D models are still harder to make and look goodLaytonsCat

What makes you say that? I'm sure a skilled 3D artist is just as effecient as a comparably skilled 2D artist.

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts

LaytonsCat

...Especially when 99% of the people who buy Pokemón games won't give a flying fornication wether they make it 3D or not.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bobbetybob
People have got a good point with the size, I always forget that there's stupid amounts of Pokemon now. Maybe they could make some sort of fan favourites game, where all the Pokemon are voted on or something so they have 150-ish of the favourites. Or maybe just another remake of Red/Blue but almost completely different (just a way to make it so they'd only have 151 Pokemon really).
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LaytonsCat

People have got a good point with the size, I always forget that there's stupid amounts of Pokemon now. Maybe they could make some sort of fan favourites game, where all the Pokemon are voted on or something so they have 150-ish of the favourites. Or maybe just another remake of Red/Blue but almost completely different (just a way to make it so they'd only have 151 Pokemon really).bobbetybob

251 would work well as well. I don't think they can go back to just 150

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
i would like them to change up the formula, introducing the use of the cameras and making something interestingly different about the battles
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
People have got a good point with the size, I always forget that there's stupid amounts of Pokemon now. Maybe they could make some sort of fan favourites game, where all the Pokemon are voted on or something so they have 150-ish of the favourites. Or maybe just another remake of Red/Blue but almost completely different (just a way to make it so they'd only have 151 Pokemon really).bobbetybob
yeah having lost interest in all things pokemon since pokemon silver, i don't have a clue what all these new pokemon are. Do they replace old ones with new ones or are they additions making the count way beyond the original 150?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bobbetybob
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]People have got a good point with the size, I always forget that there's stupid amounts of Pokemon now. Maybe they could make some sort of fan favourites game, where all the Pokemon are voted on or something so they have 150-ish of the favourites. Or maybe just another remake of Red/Blue but almost completely different (just a way to make it so they'd only have 151 Pokemon really).APiranhaAteMyVa
yeah having lost interest in all things pokemon since pokemon silver, i don't have a clue what all these new pokemon are. Do they replace old ones with new ones or are they additions making the count way beyond the original 150?

I'm the same as you, not played one since Gold, only ever completed Yellow. The Pokemon have stacked up though, in Pokemon Black and White you can only capture the newest 150-ish on your first playthrough but then after that they're all in there and I think there's something ridiculous like 700+ by now. I'm sort of glad I haven't played any since the first really because it'll make Black/White that much more interesting and more like a whole new game.