So technically how does that work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nin3DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 nin3DS
Member since 2010 • 846 Posts

So of course the nin3DS(er Nintendo 3ds) will have 3-D graphics but how does that work without glasses.a simple and more complex reason would be nice.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

In easy terms the glasses are glued on to the top screen for you

MATheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MATheKing
Member since 2010 • 225 Posts

In easy terms the glasses are glued on to the top screen for you

LaytonsCat
lolwut?
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
A wizard did it.
MonkeyPulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonkeyPulp
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

So of course the nin3DS(er Nintendo 3ds) will have 3-D graphics but how does that work without glasses.a simple and more complex reason would be nice.

nin3DS

It uses a technology called Parallax Barrier.

Parallax Barrier

Each of your eyes is seeing a different set of pixels. The drawback with this technology is you have to stay in the "sweet spot" or the effect greatly diminishes.

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

[QUOTE="nin3DS"]

MonkeyPulp

Each of your eyes is seeing a different set of pixels. The drawback with this technology is you have to stay in the "sweet spot" or the effect greatly diminishes.

The 3DS screens, layered one on top of the other, have lines going through them so that your left eye sees one set of image lines, the right eye another, tricking your eyes into thinking you're seeing depth that isn't really there.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
Haha man, I shouldn't laugh but I remember I used to have a classmate that could only see out of one eye. Sucks for him
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4259 Posts

It's all Alien tech man. I saw it on the history channel.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

A wizard did it. Sepewrath
QFT.

i saw it myself. they look like this:

http://www.hamistertower.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/wizard.jpg

Estbtnh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Estbtnh
Member since 2011 • 102 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkeyPulp"]

[QUOTE="nin3DS"]

DustinTheWind

The 3DS screens, layered one on top of the other, have lines going through them so that your left eye sees one set of image lines, the right eye another, tricking your eyes into thinking you're seeing depth that isn't really there.

is that how 3D work's in general or only for the 3DS?

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]

[QUOTE="MonkeyPulp"]

Estbtnh

is that how 3D work's in general or only for the 3DS?

There are different types of 3D, the 3D using 3D glasses does not work the way I just described. 3D with 3D glasses works by projecting two different images on the screen (rather than having two seperate screens). The two projected images have slightly different perspectives/polarizations. The 3D glasses block one image from one eye but shows it to the other (and vise versa). So basically the glasses do the same job that the double screen lines the 3DS puts out, by blocking images from one eye, showing it to the other, and giving our brains the impression there is depth.

The 3DS version of 3D can only work with one person right now because there's a 'sweet spot' the user has to be in to see the 3D effect, unlike with the glasses, which you can see the 3D pretty much anywhere as long as you're looking at the screen straight on.

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DustinTheWind

Here you go, couldn't find this earlier

http://gizmodo.com/#!5472332/how-3d-works-a-simple-picture-guide

Avatar image for mario-nin-freak
mario-nin-freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 mario-nin-freak
Member since 2009 • 9465 Posts
Basically half the pixels go into one eye, half in the other. The "criss-crossing" pixels is how they can make 3-D images. Where they cross they can "pop-out" pretty much.
Avatar image for samusownsyou123
samusownsyou123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 samusownsyou123
Member since 2010 • 90 Posts

The console does use paralax distortion, which is why Nintendo is recommending that anyone who is 6 and under should not play it with the 3D on, as it can damage their eyes.

nin3DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nin3DS
Member since 2010 • 846 Posts

lets just hope I can see it since I have lazy eye and astigmatism

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrunoBRS

nin3DS
astigmatism is fixed with glasses, and the use of regular glasses while playing the 3DS doesn't affect anything. but i'm not sure about the lazy eye... i have a friend with a lazy eye, i'd have to ask him if he can watch 3D movies... or better, ask YOU if you can watch 3D movies.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="nin3DS"]

BrunoBRS

astigmatism is fixed with glasses, and the use of regular glasses while playing the 3DS doesn't affect anything. but i'm not sure about the lazy eye... i have a friend with a lazy eye, i'd have to ask him if he can watch 3D movies... or better, ask YOU if you can watch 3D movies.

Apparently some people who can watch 3D movies in the theaters still can't see the 3DS' 3D (a small number of people). I also read somewhere yesterday that sometimes taking off your glasses can help see the effect better. Guess we'll find out more soon.

one_of_panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 one_of_panda
Member since 2006 • 487 Posts

So I have a question, if there are people who have trouble seeing the 3DS 3D effect would they also not be able to see 3D when using 3D glasses? Because all 3D glasses do is block the layered image from one eye while the image is being displayed in two layers on screen.

one_of_panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 one_of_panda
Member since 2006 • 487 Posts

So I have a question, if there are people who have trouble seeing the 3DS 3D effect would they also not be able to see 3D when using 3D glasses? Because all 3D glasses do is block the layered image from one eye while the image is being displayed in two layers on screen.

one_of_panda

LOL, right after I posted this there was an answer to my question above...I guess I'll just have to get my hands on my 3DS on the 27th and see if I'll have any problems with it...hopefully I won't.

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="one_of_panda"]

one_of_panda

LOL, right after I posted this there was an answer to my question above...I guess I'll just have to get my hands on my 3DS on the 27th and see if I'll have any problems with it...hopefully I won't.

The up-side of that being that it could be used as a diagnostic for eye problems....

American Academy of Opthalmology suggests: "If a healthy child consistently develops headaches or tired eyes or cannot clearly see the images when using 3D digital products, this may indicate a vision or eye disorder. If such problems occur, the Academy recommends that the child be given a comprehensive exam by an ophthalmologist."
But kids with conditions such as imbalances in vision and misaligned eyes, would have a hard time seeing the 3D images... they'd probably get headaches or eye fatigue while playing the 3DS thuslydiagnosing these conditions early and making it possible for these kids to get the treatment they so desperately need.

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/nintendo-3ds-may-diagnose-eye-problems-in-kids

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="nin3DS"]

DustinTheWind

Apparently some people who can watch 3D movies in the theaters still can't see the 3DS' 3D (a small number of people). I also read somewhere yesterday that sometimes taking off your glasses can help see the effect better. Guess we'll find out more soon.

improving the effect at the cost of seeing a huge blur? thanks, i'll keep my glasses on :P
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] astigmatism is fixed with glasses, and the use of regular glasses while playing the 3DS doesn't affect anything. but i'm not sure about the lazy eye... i have a friend with a lazy eye, i'd have to ask him if he can watch 3D movies... or better, ask YOU if you can watch 3D movies.BrunoBRS

improving the effect at the cost of seeing a huge blur? thanks, i'll keep my glasses on :P

That'd depend on the vision problem you have... some people can see close-up screens fine without their glasses (or books, newspapers, magazines, ect).

samusownsyou123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 samusownsyou123

blah

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

blah

samusownsyou123

Please do not bump old threads.

samusownsyou123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 samusownsyou123
I personally don't use 3d all the time, the games are still fun.
samusownsyou123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 samusownsyou123
And screw you