So SBR created an official tier list for Brawl...

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DynamicJumpIuff
DynamicJumpIuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DynamicJumpIuff
Member since 2007 • 3025 Posts
I present to you the official SBR Brawl Tier List (v1.0): Top: Meta Knight Snake King Dedede Mr. Game & Watch Falco R.O.B. High Marth Wario Lucario Donkey Kong Diddy Pikachu Ice Climbers Kirby Pit Wolf Middle Toon Link Olimar Fox Zelda Zero Suit Samus Bowser Luigi Peach Ike Shiek Low Lucas Ness Mario Pokémon Trainer Samus Yoshi Sonic Jigglypuff Ganondorf Link Captain Falcon As you can plainly see, it's awful compared to Silverflash's Tier list: Silverflash-x list: Top Tier: Meta Knight Snake Mr. Game and Watch - Marth Very High Tier: King Dedede Falco R.O.B. Wario Lucario Diddy Kong - Olimar Donkey Kong High Tier: Pikachu Ice Climbers Pit Kirby Wolf - Toon Link Zelda Mid Tier: Fox Peach Zero Suit Samus Lucas lke Ness Low Tier: Luigi Pokemon Trainer Mario Sonic - Link Jigglypuff Bottom Tier: Bowser Sheik Samus - Yoshi Ganondorf Captain Falcon IMPORTANT! Read this! As you may have noticed, there are now hyphens ( - ) inside the tiers. I have decided that this is necessary to create a more accurate representation of the current metagame. I am going to keep the current number of tiers I have, but any large gaps between placements that I feel were almost large enough to split off into another tier, but not quite, will have hyphens between the characters. For instance, the hyphens gap between G&W and Marth means that while he's closer to Top Tier than Very High Tier, he's still not too close to G&W's level either. Thus, there's a hyphen. Also for people who don't understand tiers: (Taken directly from Silverflash himself) [QUOTE="Silverflash-x"]Section 1.: Tiers 1.1. What are tiers? Tiers are a way of ranking objects with differing characteristics. In fighting games, they are rankings of characters, based upon the evaluation of their strengths and weaknesses. That's all there is to it. Nothing complicated: Tiers are simply a way to rank the characters, in order of best to worst. 1.2. Do tiers affect me? Yes. Yes they do. The simple answer is that tiers affect everyone, always, without exception. It doesn't matter if a complete smash newbie is playing against the most seasoned veteran; tiers will affect the match. The reason this is because tiers simply rank characters off of their strengths and weaknesses. Since no one can ever completely cancel out these strengths and weaknesses, tiers affect everyone. Of course, the amount that tiers affect matches depends on the skill of the players, but it always has an effect, even if it is negligible. 1.3. How does player skill relate to tiers? Skill is much more important to deciding the outcome of a match than tiers are. This may be the most important thing I say in this entire topic. Repeat after me: Skill > Tiers. Anyone who tells you that tiers always decided a match, or anything that implies/states that Tiers > Skill is completely wrong. Skill is more important. However, skill does not cancel out tiers. While a skilled Captain Falcon (widely considered the worst character tier wise) will almost always beat and unskilled Metaknight (widely considered the best character in the game tier wise), he'll have a bit of a tougher time than if it were a skilled Metaknight playing and unskilled Metaknight. Look at it this way: Let's say we have a meter that represents the likelihood that a player will win a match. The closer it is to the top of the meter, the better chance Player A has of winning. The closer it is to the bottom, the better chance Player B has of winning. Let's pretend that these two are roughly close together in skill levels of their respective characters. The meter is going to be about in the middle, giving each player around an equal chance of winning. Now, let's say that Player A is using MK, while Player B is using CF. The meter would then move a decent amount upwards, since at near equal skill level, tiers matter the most. Now, let's say that Player A is a more skilled player than B, moving the meter about 3/4 of the way to the top. However, A is using Captain Falcon, while B is using MK. Now, since A is more skilled, the chance is still in his favor that he'll win. However, the meter would move down slightly to accommodate the large difference in tier position. Chances are still in A's favor, but it's now slightly more difficult to win than when we didn't know what characters were involved. Section 2.: Tier Lists 2.1. What are tier lists? First, I'll give you a link to the SmashWiki page discussing tier lists. You can go here for quite a bit of information about tier lists. I recommend you visit this page if you're new to tiers and tier lists. http://ssb-gamespot.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_list Here is the definition of tier lists as seen on that Wiki page: A tier list is a ranking of each character's metagame, based on tournament settings. It is an indicator of how each character is expected to perform, under tournament settings, in relation to the rest of the cast. Thus, tiers measure the potential of each character based on all currently known techniques and strategies that have been shown to be useful in tournaments. Tier lists are common in fighting games as well as many other competitive games involving a large selection of characters. I would define tier lists as an actual, solid representation of tiers. They are actual lists of characters, grouped together in various sections, called tiers. Characters in a tier are generally similar in potential. The are additionally ranked inside each tier, so if two characters are in the same tier, the one higher in the tier itself has more potential than the other. It's worth noting that just because a character is higher than another doesn't mean they have an advantage over that character in a fight. That's merely one matchup. Tier lists take into account all of a characters matchups. For instance, R.O.B. is slated to have an advantage over Snake. However, R.O.B. is further down the tier list than Snake. That's because R.O.B.'s matchups aren't as good overall as Snake's, so even though he at an advantage in that match, he has more disadvantages total. 2.2. What are the differences between tiers and tier lists? Tiers are merely the idea of ranking characters based on strengths and weaknesses. They affect everybody, without exception. Tier lists are a representation of tiers, and are based off of competitive play. This means that they are not necessarily correct for everybody. They assume the reader is playing near or close to tournament level. It's very, very important to note the distinction between tiers and tier lists when debating about them. 2.3. Do tier lists affect me? It depends. Tier lists, unlike tiers, do not affect everybody. This is because they're based off of the competitive metagame, and assume that the reader is a competitive level player. Additionally, they assume that items are completely absent, and that only neutral and, in some cases, counterpick stages are used. Thus, if you are not a competitive player, you use items, etc., then no, the common tier lists doesn't affect you. However, for every method of play, there is some sort of tier list that would be possible to formulate. However, the one commonly seen and used would not affect you. Make sure you don't confuse that with tiers, however. 2.4. Why must tier lists change so much? Tier lists are constructed using a variety of data. Among these types of information are character's metagames and ATs, and tournament results. As we learn more an more about characters, their metagame and, possibly, their ATs (Advanced Techniques) as well. Additionally, as we find counters to current strategies, and counters to the counters, and so on, character's metagames will change. All these things affect character placement. Additionally, tournament results change often, which is the main reason for change in the tier list. 2.5. How are tier lists made? Tier lists are based off of three things: 1) A character's moveset, metagame, and ATs. This is important to give an overall view of what characters a capable of in a tournament setting. Some believe that this is the only thing that should be used in tier list construction. However, this would make it far, far too easy to be biased, as well as not giving an accurate representation of current tournament strategies. 2) Matchups. These list how well a character is expected to perform against other individual characters. When all matchups are combined, they are a worthy addition to the data we put in tier lists. Some group this with Moveset/Metagame, since they're quite similar. A tier lists based entirely on matchups would be accurate, but unfortunately it would difficult and impractical to implement since matchups would require an outside weighting system to keep them unbiased and accurate. 3. Tournament results. This is one of the most controversial things involved in tiers. Many believe that they shouldn't be involved in tier list making at all. However, they are arguably the most important facet of tier list creation. They keep it unbiased, and allow us to more accurately represent current tournament metagame, which is why tier lists are made in the first place. 3.: Why Tiers Exist 3.1. Basic Reasoning At the very base of the tier argument is one very simple, logical, crucial piece of information: Humans are not omnipotent. The developers of the game are not perfect at all. They try to make the game balanced, but they will always fail, without exception. The only way for characters to be perfectly balanced is if they are all the same. As I'm sure you're aware, this is not the case in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. All the characters are different in some ways. Sometimes the differences are small, and sometimes very large, but they're there. Since all the characters are different, then they obviously have different traits and stats. However, not all traits are equally useful. This is why tiers exist. For instance, in Brawl, speed is generally more important than power. So characters who trade speed for power (i.e. Ganondorf) are generally going to be worse than characters who trade power for speed (i.e. MK). Since the characters are all different, some must be better than others. It's simply the way the world works. Look at it this way: Let's say Brawl has only two characters: A and B. They are absolutely identical in every way, except for one thing: A's Nair does 5% more damage than B's. In everything else, they're the same. Does that mean it's impossible to win with B? No, it doesn't at all. But A is intrinsically better. The tier list for such a game would look like this: Top Tier: A Bottom Tier: B The Brawl we have is much more complicated with its differences, but the logic is the same. The only difference this complexity adds is that it makes tier lists more difficult to figure out. The logic still stands, though. If the characters are different in any way, one is better than another. 3.2. Common Arguments, and Their Answers In my time creating tier lists, debating about tiers, and just surfing the net, I've come across many different arguments claiming tiers don't exist. Very few have any merit at all, and all can be refuted using logic. Argument 1: I can beat a high tier character with a low tier character, so tiers don't exist. Answer: PEMN. Do you know what this means? It stands for Personal Experience Means Nothing. If you beat a high tier character with a low tier character, it simply means that you are more skilled with your character than the other player; that some form of luck was involved; your character has an advantage over your opponents character, etc. The explanation will always have to do with something other tiers. And if, for whatever reason, it turns out that the low tier character is simply better than the high tier character, it means that the creator of the tier list either made an error, or did not consider some piece of information. In no way does it disprove tiers. Argument 2: Skill levels cannot be measured, so it's impossible to tell when to players have equal skill. Since that's when tiers come into effect, they don't actually exist. Answer: First off, were this argument actually valid, it would disprove only tier lists, not tiers. Equal skill only matters in tier lists. Even so, it isn't a valid argument. Skill does not have to be exactly equal, or even close to equal, for tiers to have an effect. Tier lists do require that the skill levels of players involved be at least near equal to be 100% accurate. Skill levels don't have to be exactly equal, however, and in tournaments, when nearing the Top 8 (where we start measuring tournament results from), skill levels often are quite close together, since they are nearing the peak metagame level for their respective characters. Argument 3: With enough training, you can get good with any character and do well. Thus, tiers simply represent how hard the characters are to learn and to master. Answer: The first sentence in the argument is true. However, the correlation they make to get to the second sentence is incorrect. While you can get good with any character and do well, this is directly related to skill, and doesn't relate to tiers at all. But tiers don't represent the learning curve at all. A player that uses Captain Falcon will have to have quite a bit more skill than his opponent in a tournament setting to make up for his character choice. While it's possible to do well, it takes a player who is much better than his opponent. Someone who uses MK can let the virtues of his character pick up a bit of the slack in his skill level. And if a player that uses a character like MK and has mastered his character is a force to be reckoned with. That's all. It has nothing to do with learning curves. Indeed, character like Snake and Olimar are high on the tier list, yet are among the most difficult to learn and master. Argument 4: The higher a character is on the tier list, the more they are used in tournaments. Because of this, we discover their techniques and strategies much sooner, and the lower tier characters are left in the dust. Thus, tiers are merely a "popularity list", and the higher tier characters are figured out faster. Answer: I'll let you in on a secret: In all my time discussing tiers and tier lists, this is the only argument I've ever come across that has any merit. That's because, unlike the others, the logic behind it is actually sound. It's true that the higher tier characters will be used more, and will get a more advanced metagame more quickly. I refer to this as the "Snowball Effect". I'm not going to argue that it doesn't happen, because it does. However, it's not near as bad of a problem as the argument makes it sound. Yes, high tier characters are more likely to be used, but most players will still use those who feel good to them, regardless of their tier list position. While some players do pick mains based off of tier lists, not many do at all. This decreases the Snowball Effect. Unfortunately it does occur, but tournament results are still our best tool for measuring current potential, and the Snowball Effect is something that must be lived with. Argument 5: Low tier characters could have an undiscovered glitch or AT that makes them much better. This means that tier lists are invalid. Answer: Indeed they could. However, and this is extremely important, tier lists are based off of current potential, not future potential. That's why tier lists change. If a character has an undiscovered technique that should put them higher on the list, the list will then be changed. But if we don't know the technique, we can't exactly factor them into tier lists, now can we? 4. Miscellaneous 4.1. Frequently Asked Questions Q. Can you provide me with a tier list? A. As of now (August 26th, 2008) there is no official tier list. The SBR, which stands for the Smash Back Room, is responsible for creating the "official" tier list. It most likely won't be out for a few months. Until that time, there are various people who have tried to create tier lists, myself included. The most notable are probably Longhornfan11, Doomsong123, and myself. You can search any of our names in the search bar, and find the latest edition to see a fairly accurate list. (Note: Longhorn has not made a list in a while, so his latest edition will be fairly dated). Q. Why are items and some stages banned in tournaments? A. I'm including this because I see it come up often in tier debates. Items are turned off in tournaments because they add a variable of luck to the equation. Tournaments are all about finding the most skilled player, and if a player gets a lucky/unlucky items spawn, it can drastically skew the results. Same goes for chaotic and random stages. Q. Where do tier list creators get their data from, such as tournament results? A. Ankoku of Smashboards has been nice enough to keep a list of current tournament results, and update them reguarly. There is a matchup chart, made by IvanEva, as well, but it is not completely accurate, and I have been attempting to formulate my own matchup chart. Anyways, I'll provide links to both of these pages so you can take a look. Tournament Results: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954 Matchup Chart: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157979 Q. Will you play me? A. Maybe, if I have the time. I'm not all that great, but I'll try. Q. Do other fighting games have tiers? A. Yes, all fighting games with multiple, different characters have tiers. They're not discussed as much as in Smash, though, since Smash has a very large casual player population. Here's something interesting: Smash is the only series whose players often debate the existence of tiers. Does that tell you anything?

Discuss.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

Discuss.DynamicJumpIuff

This isn't the Smash boards!and to be honest,I find the first slightly one better.

DynamicJumpIuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DynamicJumpIuff

[QUOTE="DynamicJumpIuff"]Discuss.SuperSmashBro1

This isn't the Smash boards!and to be honest,I find the first one better.

You're the guy who tried to disprove Captain Falcon's tier placement with a video of Falcon beat Boss Battles Intense while taking no damage.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
I've never even heard of Silverflash or whoever, but SBR's seems pretty accurate, considering all the top players helped make it. Uh, personally though, I think there should be a bottom tier going from Sonic-Captain Falcon. That'll probably be what happens in futures revisions to the list.
DynamicJumpIuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DynamicJumpIuff
I've never even heard of Silverflash or whoever, but SBR's seems pretty accurate, considering all the top players helped make it. Uh, personally though, I think there should be a bottom tier going from Sonic-Captain Falcon. That'll probably be what happens in futures revisions to the list.LOLhahaDEAD
Being a pro=/=Being a good tier list maker. Even the epicness of your TTGL avatar won't win me over.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SuperSmashBro1
[QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"]

[QUOTE="DynamicJumpIuff"]Discuss.DynamicJumpIuff

This isn't the Smash boards!and to be honest,I find the first one better.

You're the guy who tried to disprove Captain Falcon's tier placement with a video of Falcon beat Boss Battles Intense while taking no damage.

And your the guy who said A tier list fails compared to the other one,I'd like to see you do better.
black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts

tiers are for queers

i dont care what anyone says a good smash player will take their character and own who may be concerned

regardless of what dumb list says,

the list says mario is a so called bad pick last time i check im not the greatest but i do own with mario and often enough not just me other people who use these low tier characters totally dismantle those top tier characters,

plain and simple its all about the player and there skills not what their character is ranked by a list,

DynamicJumpIuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DynamicJumpIuff

tiers are for queers

i dont care what anyone says a good smash player will take their character and own who may be concerned

the list says mario is a so called bad pick last time i check im not the greatest but i do own with mario and often enough not just me other people who use these low tier characters totally dismantle those top tier characters,

plain and simple its all about the player and there skills not what their character is ranked by a list,

black_ice23
I see that you didn't read any of that.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SuperSmashBro1

tiers are for queers

black_ice23
Agreed,I hardly visit the Smash boards now that they all focus on tiers,Captain Falcon is one of my mains,he's my 4th or 5th.(First is Wario)
DynamicJumpIuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DynamicJumpIuff
[QUOTE="black_ice23"]

tiers are for queers

SuperSmashBro1
Agreed,I hardly visit the Smash boards now that they all focus on tiers,Captain Falcon is one of my mains,he's my 4th or 5th.(First is Wario)

More people who never read the first post! Just cause you're good with a character doesn't make the character good.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuperSmashBro1
[QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"][QUOTE="black_ice23"]

tiers are for queers

DynamicJumpIuff

More people who never read the first post! Just cause you're good with a character doesn't make the character good.

Makes me wonder why the tier list sometimes change when there are tourneys.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LOLhahaDEAD

[QUOTE="LOLhahaDEAD"]I've never even heard of Silverflash or whoever, but SBR's seems pretty accurate, considering all the top players helped make it. Uh, personally though, I think there should be a bottom tier going from Sonic-Captain Falcon. That'll probably be what happens in futures revisions to the list.DynamicJumpIuff
Being a pro=/=Being a good tier list maker. Even the epicness of your TTGL avatar won't win me over.

I said top players, and top players =/= pro. By top, I meant people who have been placing well in tournaments, and know the game better than most players. And why do you think SF made a better tier list. There's no way a single person, no matter how good he is, could make a more accurate list than several good players who have been discussing every in and out of the game for months.

Also, it is pretty epic, isn't it?

DynamicJumpIuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DynamicJumpIuff
[QUOTE="DynamicJumpIuff"][QUOTE="SuperSmashBro1"][QUOTE="black_ice23"]

tiers are for queers

SuperSmashBro1

Makes me wonder why the tier list sometimes change when there are tourneys.

Tier lists are always changing because the meta game always changes. Tier lists reflect the current meta game.
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts
It seems no one can just play the game anymore....
DynamicJumpIuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DynamicJumpIuff

[QUOTE="DynamicJumpIuff"][QUOTE="LOLhahaDEAD"]I've never even heard of Silverflash or whoever, but SBR's seems pretty accurate, considering all the top players helped make it. Uh, personally though, I think there should be a bottom tier going from Sonic-Captain Falcon. That'll probably be what happens in futures revisions to the list.LOLhahaDEAD

I said top players, and top players =/= pro. By top, I meant people who have been placing well in tournaments, and know the game better than most players. And why do you think SF made a better tier list. There's no way a single person, no matter how good he is, could make a more accurate list than several good players who have been discussing every in and out of the game for months.

God I love your avatar. But no matter how top those players are, it doesn't mean that they are good at making tier lists. Their list factors tourney results waaaay too much and not the characters actual strengths and weaknesses.
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperSmashBro1
It seems no one can just play the game anymore....-Oath
Agreed,I wish everyone would stop talking about tiers.
pikalover77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pikalover77
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I sense that many lulz will come out of this topic.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LOLhahaDEAD
[QUOTE="LOLhahaDEAD"]

[QUOTE="DynamicJumpIuff"][QUOTE="LOLhahaDEAD"]I've never even heard of Silverflash or whoever, but SBR's seems pretty accurate, considering all the top players helped make it. Uh, personally though, I think there should be a bottom tier going from Sonic-Captain Falcon. That'll probably be what happens in futures revisions to the list.DynamicJumpIuff

God I love your avatar. But no matter how top those players are, it doesn't mean that they are good at making tier lists. Their list factors tourney results waaaay too much and not the characters actual strengths and weaknesses.

Not necessarily. If I remember correctly, SamuraiPanda was explaining a bit about tiers in an episode of SMYN, and he said something about how characters strengths and weaknesses play into their match-ups with other characters, and if those match-ups are consistent with tournmant results over a long time. I probably didn't explain that very well, butit makes sense to me. :P

Your icon is godly also. Earthbound ftw!

Scsrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Scsrhino
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
Kirby ftw.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Eh, to be honest, stuff like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, much like people who insist on only playing Final Destination with items off. It just feels like it sucks the whole point of the game out of the game and trades fun for an increased chance at victory. I guess you can go for it if that's your thing, but just like I refuse to mathematically optimize my Pokemon teams, I refuse to bother with stuff like character tiers in fighting games.
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Eh, to be honest, stuff like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, much like people who insist on only playing Final Destination with items off. It just feels like it sucks the whole point of the game out of the game and trades fun for an increased chance at victory. I guess you can go for it if that's your thing, but just like I refuse to mathematically optimize my Pokemon teams, I refuse to bother with stuff like character tiers in fighting games.GabuEx

Amen.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Eh, to be honest, stuff like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, much like people who insist on only playing Final Destination with items off. It just feels like it sucks the whole point of the game out of the game and trades fun for an increased chance at victory. I guess you can go for it if that's your thing, but just like I refuse to mathematically optimize my Pokemon teams, I refuse to bother with stuff like character tiers in fighting games.-Oath

Amen.

Totally agreed. From someone who used to do and look at stuff like this, it just sucks the fun out of the game. Your not going to get every crop in Harvest Moon, your not going to figure out the best combination for every character in an RPG game. Just play the game!
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

Eh, to be honest, stuff like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, much like people who insist on only playing Final Destination with items off. It just feels like it sucks the whole point of the game out of the game and trades fun for an increased chance at victory. I guess you can go for it if that's your thing, but just like I refuse to mathematically optimize my Pokemon teams, I refuse to bother with stuff like character tiers in fighting games.GabuEx

Right on.

God_of_Gore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 God_of_Gore

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Eh, to be honest, stuff like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, much like people who insist on only playing Final Destination with items off. It just feels like it sucks the whole point of the game out of the game and trades fun for an increased chance at victory. I guess you can go for it if that's your thing, but just like I refuse to mathematically optimize my Pokemon teams, I refuse to bother with stuff like character tiers in fighting games.Mike1978Smith

Right on.

I agree with this completely seriously my top two mains are in the bottom half of the tier list (Ike and Sonic) and I use them because I am really good with both my other mains are Snake because I like MGS Marth because for some reason I am really good with him and Captain Falcon because he is pure awesome.

Avatar image for SeraphimBattler
SeraphimBattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SeraphimBattler
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

It's hilarious some of the replies you're getting. "Amen." "Right On."

You do realize that for alot of people, playing to win is fun? I play to win, and my friends play to win, that's our idea of fun. So, there's no reason for you to have a bad taste in your mouth because the way my friends and I play doesn't affect you in anyway.

Plus, if you had even skimmed through the topic creator's first post, you would have realized that there's no need to "refuse" to bother with tier lists.

DynamicJumpIuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DynamicJumpIuff
[QUOTE="DynamicJumpIuff"][QUOTE="LOLhahaDEAD"]

[QUOTE="DynamicJumpIuff"][QUOTE="LOLhahaDEAD"]I've never even heard of Silverflash or whoever, but SBR's seems pretty accurate, considering all the top players helped make it. Uh, personally though, I think there should be a bottom tier going from Sonic-Captain Falcon. That'll probably be what happens in futures revisions to the list.LOLhahaDEAD

Not necessarily. If I remember correctly, SamuraiPanda was explaining a bit about tiers in an episode of SMYN, and he said something about how characters strengths and weaknesses play into their match-ups with other characters, and if those match-ups are consistent with tournmant results over a long time. I probably didn't explain that very well, butit makes sense to me. :P

Your icon is godly also. Earthbound ftw!

"Asking smash pros. to create a tier list is like asking Payton Manning, Lendanian Tomlinson(Sorry if I murdered that name), or Tom Brady to rank all the NFL teams. They're likely to rank their own team in the top and then base the rank the others on personal experience like teams who beat Colts, Chragers, or Partriots higher than they deserve, and it is almost based entirely on personal experience. Professional=expert" Also, thanks.
MarthRingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 MarthRingman
Member since 2008 • 1104 Posts
ROB not at top = fail. I play competetive Smash Bros and the only character I have consistant trouble against is R.O.B. (Other than Falco).
Jonnyd108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jonnyd108
Member since 2005 • 286 Posts

You seriously know nothing about the competitive scene. Either you're joking with this post or you're being idiotic.

Who care. If you want people to take this topic seriously, then post it on the SSBB forums.

Personally, tiers are just an excuse for people who think they are pros to make excuses for non-pros beating them. Just have fun with the d@mn game instead of taking it so seriously. Serious players take the fun away for me personally.

monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts

lol I don't think this matters

I personally find ROB to just be the most aweful character EVER, and captain falcon to be pretty good

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
How can Olimar be anywhere but dead last with all the others miles ahead of him, he's a terrible crappy character who's weak and pointless.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

I follow the "Tiers are for Queers" slogan.

But I am NOT calling anyone a queer for listing or following tiers, I'm just expressing my opposition to tiers.

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

lol I don't think this matters

I personally find ROB to just be the most aweful character EVER, and captain falcon to be pretty good

monty_4256

My littel bro pwns with R.O.B.

How can Olimar be anywhere but dead last with all the others miles ahead of him, he's a terrible crappy character who's weak and pointless.bobbetybob

Olimar has a good grab and ranged smash attacks, and lots of damage stack up with his Pikmin. He's not weak or crappy or pointless.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Go Dedede!!!

Avatar image for adventureseeker
adventureseeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 adventureseeker
Member since 2007 • 899 Posts
Who cares
movin_target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 movin_target
Member since 2005 • 3412 Posts

Eh. Tiers. I don't care for them. I also don't follow them.

I play characters I like and can be good with.

I've choosen Pikachu through the the SSB games and I didn't care if he was top or bottom tier. It's just coinsidence that he is high now. But on the other hand I also main Captin Falcon, and he is bottom tie, but I still play well with him.

So IMHO, Tiers = Complete Utter Fail

/end rant

Avatar image for POkemonfreak101
POkemonfreak101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#39 POkemonfreak101
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

[QUOTE="-Oath"]It seems no one can just play the game anymore....SuperSmashBro1
Agreed,I wish everyone would stop talking about tiers.

i agree as well

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

This topic is hilarious.

Following tier lists is so nerdy. It's gotta be one of the nerdiest things I've ever seen.

No offence to anyone who follows them, but seriously, it's just a game. Whoever plays Smash Bros competitively needs to reevaluate their lives. Why not do something useful for the world? I mean, you're putting hours upon hours each day into a video game...think about how much energy is going to waste.

Also, I found it funny that the TC suggested that Gabu, a moderator, is an idiot. Wow, way to insult the right people! You sure he's the idiot?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

You seriously know nothing about the competitive scene. Either you're joking with this post or you're being idiotic.DynamicJumpIuff

Of course I know about the competitive scene. I also know that I would never bother with it. I've tried doing stuff like this before; even in the cases where I was successful, I still felt largely unfulfilled in the end. That's especially the case when the person takes his cues from other people who did the work for him. Pokemon is probably one of the worst offenders in video gaming as far as that goes - so many people just want to be told what the best teams are so they can skip right to the part where they win, not realizing that the journey is the part that really gives a sense of fulfillment.

Nothing in my post is denying the fact that many people are probably going to find tier lists useful. The denial in my post is with regards to the idea that the people who do so are going to be increasing their enjoyment of the game by doing so.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts
[QUOTE="-Oath"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Eh, to be honest, stuff like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, much like people who insist on only playing Final Destination with items off. It just feels like it sucks the whole point of the game out of the game and trades fun for an increased chance at victory. I guess you can go for it if that's your thing, but just like I refuse to mathematically optimize my Pokemon teams, I refuse to bother with stuff like character tiers in fighting games.firefox59

Amen.

Totally agreed. From someone who used to do and look at stuff like this, it just sucks the fun out of the game. Your not going to get every crop in Harvest Moon, your not going to figure out the best combination for every character in an RPG game. Just play the game!

This. And Jiggypuff FTW!
God_of_Gore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 God_of_Gore
to be honest I think Jigglypuff is the absolute worst character in the game and I think that thing and Lucario should have been cut for superior characters like Ridley and Mewtwo
SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SuperSmashBro1
[QUOTE="-Oath"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Eh, to be honest, stuff like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, much like people who insist on only playing Final Destination with items off. It just feels like it sucks the whole point of the game out of the game and trades fun for an increased chance at victory. I guess you can go for it if that's your thing, but just like I refuse to mathematically optimize my Pokemon teams, I refuse to bother with stuff like character tiers in fighting games.firefox59

Amen.

(Claps)Win!

You seriously know nothing about the competitive scene. Either you're joking with this post or you're being idiotic.

Who care. If you want people to take this topic seriously, then post it on the SSBB forums.

Personally, tiers are just an excuse for people who think they are pros to make excuses for non-pros beating them. Just have fun with the d@mn game instead of taking it so seriously. Serious players take the fun away for me personally.

Jonnyd108
I know,post this in the SSBB forums.
toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Too bad tiers exist, especially in a game as unabalanced as Brawl. Get over it. Sakurai is full of crap.
petwoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 petwoip
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

I'm sorry if anyone has said something like this before.

I think the problem with tiers is that everybody wants to try out the new characters, and so many people adopt these new characters as their mains. As a result, less people are playing with the older characters and so those characters don't have their metagames discovered/developed. I know there are a few exceptions to this, but for the most part I see this as true. Its practically all about what character the most people play, not how good the actual character is.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LOLhahaDEAD

Following tier lists is so nerdy. It's gotta be one of the nerdiest things I've ever seen.bob_newman

You do know you post on a video game forum, right? I'd say that's pretty nerdy. :P

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

Following tier lists is so nerdy. It's gotta be one of the nerdiest things I've ever seen.LOLhahaDEAD

You do know you post on a video game forum, right? I'd say that's pretty nerdy. :P

Yes, yes. But following a tier list is in a whole different category of nerdiness.

Here is the official "Video Game Nerd" tier list:

TOP:

Collecting every game ever made (In box, in wrapper)

Playing games on a professional, competitive level

Creating emulators/hacks

HIGH:

Modding a video game console

Always buying the "Special Editions" of games

Collecting memorabilia

Getting every achievement

MIDDLE:

Discussing video games on a forum

Reading reviews, watching videos, and viewing screenshots, to assist your purchases

Trying to find deals on eBay, GameStop, etc.

LOW:

Buying only Madden, GTA, Halo, etc.

Thinking only graphics matter

Pretending to have knowledge in the video game world (AKA, "I used to play Mario on the SNES, so I know everything")

LOWEST:

Only playing Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Singstar, Guitar Hero, etc.

Playing games at friend's houses every now and then, but does not own a console themselves

Thinking that the hero in The Legend of Zelda, is Zelda

So that's it.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot,

HIGHEST:

Creates "Video Game Nerd" tier lists

xd00noodle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xd00noodle1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The massive amount of n00bery ITT impresses me. I thought Gspot would be intellegent compared to Gfaqs. BOOOOY, I was wrong.
Avatar image for TwilightSoilder
TwilightSoilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TwilightSoilder
Member since 2007 • 1831 Posts
Thank you! I don't care about who's the better Brawler or proving how good at the game I am, I just want to have some fun. The game wasn't orignally intended to be played that way, Final Destination, no items. *sigh* I miss the good old days where Final Destination wasn't a playable stage. lol