Sign here if you like the original DS more than the Lite

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
I like the original better due to that it was built like a tank (unlike the cheap plastic of the Lite), better power button location, louder speakers, and a better stylus IMO. What do you think?
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
I 100% agree with you. I have dropped my DS a lot of times and no damage yet. All over the DS forums are topics like "my DS Lite hinges broke" and stuff like that. Plus, the GBA game sticks half way out of it's slot. I don't know about you, but that would drive me fricking nuts. And about the stylus, it is 3 times the size of the original one. Imagine trying to play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 with that huge stylus. It would be a mess. Thanks for spreading the word that the DS Lite is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.
LM_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LM_Light
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

You don't really think that, you only say that because you have the huge one, and you jeles

good day.

death_bagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 death_bagel
Member since 2006 • 3449 Posts
There was only one good thing about the old one... it was unbreakable. I threw it against the floor three times and it still worked :). Can't get rid of that thing.
Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts

You don't really think that, you only say that because you have the huge one, and you jeles

good day.

LM_Light
I happen to own both actually. So in your language I can't be "jeles".
Kouchouni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kouchouni
Member since 2007 • 106 Posts
i do!!
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts

good day.

LM_Light

jeles... LOL

Advance_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Advance_101
Member since 2003 • 18751 Posts

Hell no.
Here are the reasons why DS lite is better

-It weighs less
-More comfortable buttons on D-pad
- 20 hours of battery life
-Better screens, makes games look better
-4 levels of brightness
-The sleek glossy finish color is much better than that crap grey paint
-Has the Dual screen logo instead of the words "NINTENDO DS, LOL" written on it.

And just to make you feel better, here are reasons why DS Phat is better.
- Has louder speakers
- First Generation "Pass Me" devices work on it

I have both DS Phat and DS Lite. And I find the Lite to be MUCH better than the Phat.

finalfan789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 finalfan789
Member since 2006 • 6514 Posts
i want a DS lite just not right now. My DS is actually my Bro's but when i go off to college ill be buying myself a Lite :) I cant see someone seriously perfering the fat one...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i like the soft buttons of the lite more, but the best color for the DS (metallic blue, the color of my DS) is only for the original, besides u cant stay with a GBA game on the DS lite and play confortably
kylet6891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kylet6891
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

Honestly, I think both are not to great. HEAR ME OUT!!

I got that phat when it first came out and loved it. Played it all the time but was annoyed how they buttons and D-pad felt. Also, it seemed HUGE!!!

I got the DS lite when they first came out, and was lucky enough to get a cracked hinge. I returned it and by this point the Onyx ones came out, and I got that one instead, but the had a dead pixel in the middle of the bottom screen.AAAHHHHH!!

So I return the onyx so I could use its money to get a Zune, so i still play on my phat.

DS phat:

Pros-

-will never break

-no plastic gloss shine crap (hated iPod for that)

-GBA carts don't stick out

Cons-

-Huge!!!

-buttons and D-pad are crap

-stylus is tiny!!

DS lite:

Pros-

-Compact and slick

-Stylus is amazing and comfortable

-Screen are bright and crisp

Cons-

-iPod plastic, ugh!!

-feels like it can break

-GBA games stick out

I love the DS, but sad that both version don't "fit" what I want in a DS. So when I heard rumors that a 3rd DS version was designed, but wont be released, and was sad/angry that I could havemy dream DS, but couldn't becausethe lite sales haven't slowed enough to doit.

KrayzieJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 KrayzieJay
Member since 2007 • 1851 Posts

Hell no.
Here are the reasons why DS lite is better

-It weighs less
-More comfortable buttons on D-pad
- 20 hours of battery life
-Better screens, makes games look better
-4 levels of brightness
-The sleek glossy finish color is much better than that crap grey paint
-Has the Dual screen logo instead of the words "NINTENDO DS, LOL" written on it.

And just to make you feel better, here are reasons why DS Phat is better.
- Has louder speakers
- First Generation "Pass Me" devices work on it

I have both DS Phat and DS Lite. And I find the Lite to be MUCH better than the Phat.

Advance_101

You've pretty much summed up everything I was just about to say, DAMN YOU... I keed. The only problem with the light is that it's a fingerprint magnet, and probably less durable. I don't think it has 20hours battery life though

inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 inzaneetie013
Member since 2007 • 1385 Posts

why do we need to fight over an old system and upgraded one... they still play the same games... just enjoy what we have...and get a ds original or a lite whichever u prefer... no need comparing... i have a lite yet i love my friend's ds "phat" too... comfy and better buttons, but the dark screen makes me dizzy after 15 mins of play.

So I got a lite... though the oily shiny thing on and around the dpad makes me feel kinda sad, though i enjoy playing with it, i would've gotten the big ds if the screens were brighter. ( When will Nintendo ever learn? I mean, they made mistakes in the first gba and just looking at its screen makes me want to puke;
they improved it into the gba sp, which was such a relief. Why did they make the same mistake on their new generation handheld? money? maybe yes... maybe no).

and FYI... the lite's plastic might look cheap... but mine suffered from my OLDER sister's evil hands ( she's 16, i'm 14)

she threw it like she was sid spiking a watermelon against the floor....

seems the lite cant survive....but it did... im currenty playing CRA while I wait for my pokemans and UMK

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
Better stylus? :lol: I like some parts of the original DS better, such as the d-pad and buttons. But I like the look and fell of the DS Lite better. And the brighter back light is a must. And the stylus on the DS Lite is much better as well. Overall I like the DS Lite better.
marcosmm93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 marcosmm93
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I just like the original ds better because ive been having it ever since it came out and it has fallen so many times ive lost count and it still works like new. DS lite is nice but i hate the fact that your fingerprints stay on it i have to wipe it like every 10 minutes.
Timbo84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Timbo84
Member since 2003 • 106 Posts

I 100% agree with you. I have dropped my DS a lot of times and no damage yet. All over the DS forums are topics like "my DS Lite hinges broke" and stuff like that. Plus, the GBA game sticks half way out of it's slot. I don't know about you, but that would drive me fricking nuts. And about the stylus, it is 3 times the size of the original one. Imagine trying to play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 with that huge stylus. It would be a mess. Thanks for spreading the word that the DS Lite is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.monkeytoes61

Uh, false. I guess some people will always be "olde skool."

Aquabfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 Aquabfan
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts
I don't know what it is, but I happen to like the original DS betteralso. I seem to do better at Madden on it. I think it's because of the D-Pad, I think it's better on the original than onthe Lite.
Avatar image for shadimoscouplos
shadimoscouplos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shadimoscouplos
Member since 2004 • 1572 Posts
finally i love my chunky one! my friends screen is dangleing half off and it still works fine!
inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 inzaneetie013

finally i love my chunky one! my friends screen is dangleing half off and it still works fine!shadimoscouplos

nice sig

Patheticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 Patheticus
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts
i still have a phat,it's fine and all,but i do miss the "soft" buttons on the original gba,the ones that feel like it's cushioned and does not make a clickingsound when you press them
Turbo_Burdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Turbo_Burdo
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts
[QUOTE="LM_Light"]

good day.

mfp16

jeles... LOL

Sheesh, what's wrong with spelling a word incorrectly we're not perfect.

Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts

I like the DS Lite better. I mean honestly, how is it a downgrade?

-It's not as bulky

-It has a shiny sleek look to it

-Even if it isn't quite as bulky as the original, it still doesn't break easily (I've dropped it twice on the concrete sidewalk and it's still intact but with quite a few scratches)

-The higher levels of brightness make the games look much more clearer and better

-The bigger grip area for the stylus helps your hand have more space and less cramps, meanwhile, the tip of the stylus is just as small as the original so the area covered does not change

-Power button is placed at a more appropriate area and is no longer a button that you can accidentally push

jimbo9_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jimbo9_2
Member since 2006 • 58 Posts

I like them both

tthe old DS has more sound but the new one has more light

Turbo_Burdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Turbo_Burdo
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts
I think Ds Lite was meant to be an improvement of the Ds so how is it a downgrade?
ludadav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 ludadav
Member since 2005 • 1485 Posts
The older DS is far less fragile than the Lite
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
*Signs* I can't stand how fragile the DS Lite is and how crappy the buttons and D-pad feel.
sAntiag0_drAg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sAntiag0_drAg
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

i still have my original DS but ive dropped it so many times it looks like a croc tried to play it

ps2robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 ps2robot
Member since 2006 • 288 Posts
I have the ds lite but I am planning to buy a ds phat for one reason and one reason only......the reason is because it is like a metal tank and I drop my ds lite sometimes......And I like the ds lite because it is sleek and small and can fit in my pocket and it is very smooth.......so bottom line is they both got their strength's and they both got ther weaknessies........ds lite vs. ds phat geuss what no one won it was a tie lol
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

There was only one good thing about the old one... it was unbreakable. I threw it against the floor three times and it still worked :). Can't get rid of that thing.death_bagel

ya dude.. tank indeed!

w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
Nope, DS Lite rules.
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts
I like the original way better too, thats why I kept mine...
sAntiag0_drAg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sAntiag0_drAg

Ive heard the DS lite is able to do MSN? if taht is true this changes my view of DS lite :shock:

inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 inzaneetie013
uhmm ds lite are not fragile, i dont know to ur experiences, but mine was dropped several times and was even thrown to a wall.... i dint throw it... my 16 year old sister did
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Platyphyllum
uhmm ds lite are not fragile, i dont know to ur experiences, but mine was dropped several times and was even thrown to a wall.... i dint throw it... my 16 year old sister didinzaneetie013
Same here. I mean, what is with all this "The DS Lite is fragile" stuff? I've dropped it twice on the concrete sidewalk and while it does have scratches, it never broke.
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
Even though I like the Lite better I can't stand how it can be so fragile I mean my DS feels like it's at the end of it's life and I take good care of it.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I like my original DS more than my sister's DS Lite. The Lite looks nicer, but the original one is tougher, and i prefer the buttons on mine.
ViVi110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 ViVi110
Member since 2007 • 383 Posts
I can't understand how people like the DS phat more than the DS lite! The DS lite is much more comfortable, has a WAY better stylus (which slides nicely into the side), and the games look and sound way better (the DS phat has worse sound than the DS lite. Have you ever played them side by side with a game like EBA or Ouendan? The DS phat gives off a rather scrathy sound well the DS lite sounds much better. I have both, I owned the DS phat much longer than my DS lite and the DS lite is much better IMO. And to all the people who only own a DS phat and say the DS lite is worse, I did the exact same thing. It's just like thatsour grapes story: When something is nice and you can't get it, you bash it and say it isn't good.
ChiddaPotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChiddaPotta
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

I 100% agree with you. I have dropped my DS a lot of times and no damage yet. All over the DS forums are topics like "my DS Lite hinges broke" and stuff like that. Plus, the GBA game sticks half way out of it's slot. I don't know about you, but that would drive me fricking nuts. And about the stylus, it is 3 times the size of the original one. Imagine trying to play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 with that huge stylus. It would be a mess. Thanks for spreading the word that the DS Lite is not an upgrade, it's a downgrade.monkeytoes61

thats your opinion so you think its a downgrade when its actually a upgrade by a huge way. so anyways i wouldnt sign cuz like most people said, heavy, short stylus, dark light settings, it doesnt feel like you push the buttons,screens color isnt as good as the DS Lite has.

and btw, it looks so ugly :?

Thunderball37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Thunderball37
Member since 2007 • 1033 Posts
I can't understand how people like the DS phat more than the DS lite! The DS lite is much more comfortable, has a WAY better stylus (which slides nicely into the side), and the games look and sound way better (the DS phat has worse sound than the DS lite. Have you ever played them side by side with a game like EBA or Ouendan? The DS phat gives off a rather scrathy sound well the DS lite sounds much better. I have both, I owned the DS phat much longer than my DS lite and the DS lite is much better IMO. And to all the people who only own a DS phat and say the DS lite is worse, I did the exact same thing. It's just like thatsour grapes story: When something is nice and you can't get it, you bash it and say it isn't good.ViVi110
That's what you out of 10 people think buster. The only type of Ds I keep hearing about breaking down is the Lite! You can't hide that fact. I think I'llget a lite for pete'ssake just for the accessories.
Patheticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 Patheticus
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts
This is like system wars only between the 2 ds'es:P
ChiddaPotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChiddaPotta
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

its funny how ds lite has way more pros than ds phat like for example,

DS Lite

Pros -

Lighter,Smaller,Better Looking, Screen Color nice and crisp,glossy,longer stylus,Brighter,4-Brightness Settings

DS Phat

Pros -

Built like a Tank :P. almost every DS phat follower said this......

sAntiag0_drAg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sAntiag0_drAg

this is kinda like comparing a laptop and a desktop

desktop = Phat
laptop = lite

yea sure its smaller but breaks more easily

Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Platyphyllum
[QUOTE="ViVi110"]I can't understand how people like the DS phat more than the DS lite! The DS lite is much more comfortable, has a WAY better stylus (which slides nicely into the side), and the games look and sound way better (the DS phat has worse sound than the DS lite. Have you ever played them side by side with a game like EBA or Ouendan? The DS phat gives off a rather scrathy sound well the DS lite sounds much better. I have both, I owned the DS phat much longer than my DS lite and the DS lite is much better IMO. And to all the people who only own a DS phat and say the DS lite is worse, I did the exact same thing. It's just like thatsour grapes story: When something is nice and you can't get it, you bash it and say it isn't good.Thunderball37
That's what you out of 10 people think buster. The only type of Ds I keep hearing about breaking down is the Lite! You can't hide that fact. I think I'llget a lite for pete'ssake just for the accessories.

What the heck? All the "MY DS Lite is breaking down" stuff ended waaay back and I never hear about it from my friends or people from Gamespot much anymore.
foreversai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foreversai
Member since 2004 • 1801 Posts

Hmm... It weird to see that so many are saying that they DS lite is more fragile.
I personally have an old DS whereby the hinge broke after i fling it towards a wall while it was in my bag ONCE(it even had protection padded pouch and clothes in the bag as protection), just once and it's broken.
From what i see from my brother's DS Lite, it's "hinge" design is much better and doesnt look like it will break as easily as the old one.
The old DS hinge is just too small, and thus needs to withstand more "pressure" and is more prone to be broken.

I also dislike the old DS power switch location, it happened to me on a few occations whereby "closing" the "lid" switched off my game(and i didnt intend to switch it off).
The L and R shoulder buttons dont feel as well as the Lite's, the sharpness of colors isnt as well too.
I also like the DS Lite's Power Light location, which ismore easily seen. And also the new Stylus storagelocation, longer/better battery life, "iPod" surface makes it looks nicer to me.

The only thing i like about the old DS, is the location of the Start and Select buttons.

ThePimpEdwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 ThePimpEdwin
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts
I like the original better due to that it was built like a tank (unlike the cheap plastic of the Lite), better power button location, louder speakers, and a better stylus IMO. What do you think? Mario2007
i thinkyour just saying that because you don't have 1!!!
DJ_Tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DJ_Tank
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I really like the original more...but that might be because I don't have a lite T_T. I mean, it really doesn't matter, both get the job done, right?
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Platyphyllum

Hmm... It weird to see that so many are saying that they DS lite is more fragile.
I personally have an old DS whereby the hinge broke after i fling it towards a wall while it was in my bag ONCE(it even had protection padded pouch and clothes in the bag as protection), just once and it's broken.
From what i see from my brother's DS Lite, it's "hinge" design is much better and doesnt look like it will break as easily as the old one.
The old DS hinge is just too small, and thus needs to withstand more "pressure" and is more prone to be broken.

I also dislike the old DS power switch location, it happened to me on a few occations whereby "closing" the "lid" switched off my game(and i didnt intend to switch it off).
The L and R shoulder buttons dont feel as well as the Lite's, the sharpness of colors isnt as well too.
I also like the DS Lite's Power Light location, which ismore easily seen. And also the new Stylus storagelocation, longer/better battery life, "iPod" surface makes it looks nicer to me.

The only thing i like about the old DS, is the location of the Start and Select buttons.

foreversai
I agree.
eyko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 eyko
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

My dad recently got a DS lite for xmas, and i do prefer it to my old DS.

But i know when i go travelling the DS lite just wouldn't stand up to what i've put my old DS through. So i doubt i'll ever upgrade (plus i'm stingy with my money and just can't see a reason to update).

vanurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 vanurk
Member since 2006 • 80 Posts
"the phat breaks less easy" so what ? why aren't we just carefull with our ds ? is it normal to drop our consoles and handhelds ? if that is true, your point is good, if it isn't I can't seem to find any pro's for the phat except the fact that the gba-games don't stick out I own both and always use my lite because it's plain better
Thunderball37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Thunderball37
Member since 2007 • 1033 Posts
[QUOTE="Thunderball37"][QUOTE="ViVi110"]I can't understand how people like the DS phat more than the DS lite! The DS lite is much more comfortable, has a WAY better stylus (which slides nicely into the side), and the games look and sound way better (the DS phat has worse sound than the DS lite. Have you ever played them side by side with a game like EBA or Ouendan? The DS phat gives off a rather scrathy sound well the DS lite sounds much better. I have both, I owned the DS phat much longer than my DS lite and the DS lite is much better IMO. And to all the people who only own a DS phat and say the DS lite is worse, I did the exact same thing. It's just like thatsour grapes story: When something is nice and you can't get it, you bash it and say it isn't good.Platyphyllum

What the heck? All the "MY DS Lite is breaking down" stuff ended waaay back and I never hear about it from my friends or people from Gamespot much anymore.

Dude there are other resources than here. I keep hearing about it when ever I go to gamestop.