Should Sega Saturn Games Be On Virtual Console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Negemite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Negemite
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

Since we getting the Sega Master System on Virtual Console why not we get Sega Saturn games on Virtual Console. It could cost like 1000 Wii Points like Nintendo 64 games but we may have some classics on our list and you can use neither the Classic Control or the Gamecube Controller. We may get a lot of Arcade ports since Sega Saturn is famous for those and here's the game that should be on Virtual Console.

Bug!
Bug Too!
Burning Rangers
Die Hard Arcade
Daytona USA
Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
Golden Axe: The Duel
Gale Racer (Import)
Hang-On GP '95
Highway 2000
House Of The Dead
Last Bronx
Maxiumm Force
Metal Slug: Super Vehicle-001
Mr. Bones
Nights into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Primal Rage
Radiant Silvergun (Import)
Rayman
Resident Evil
Road Rash
Saturn Bomberman
Sega Rally Championship
Sega Touring Car Championship
Shining Force III
Shining the Holy Ark
Snatcher
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Jam
Sonic R
Space Invaders
Spot Goes To Hollywood
Super Adventure Rockman (Import)
Tetris Plus
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Kids
Virtua Racing
Worms

Sorry for this long list because I figured that could be enough for all of that.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts
Shining Force III is one of my all time favourite games. There's several others on that list that are great as well.
I'd love to see Saturn on the VC.
TheMinority16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheMinority16
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts
I can see Sonic possibly making it on there but there's no promising too many to show up.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

It's not possible until we get a hard drive.

/thread

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

/thread

Rocky32189

ya we need a HDD at least 20GB up to 60?

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

they did N64 games I think they can handle the sega saturn.

why not. some games up there I might play

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kenakuma

snowman6251

it sounds like that would make sense, but saturn was disc based and n64 was cartridge based so maybe that effects it in some way? im not sure...

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="snowman6251"]

kenakuma

it sounds like that would make sense, but saturn was disc based and n64 was cartridge based so maybe that effects it in some way? im not sure...

as long as the amount of data stored on the disks isn't ridiculously excessive there shouldn't be any problems

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="snowman6251"]

kenakuma

Carts were many times more expensive per MB than CDs. A 650MB disc factored mere pennies into the cost, while publisher's would have to charge 60-70+USD just to make a marginal profit if they wished to use a 64MB cart (the largest and least used size made for the N64).

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kenakuma
[QUOTE="kenakuma"][QUOTE="snowman6251"]

ThePlothole

Carts were many times more expensive per MB than CDs. A 650MB disc factored mere pennies into the cost, while a 64MB cart (the largest and least used cart size made for the N64) would easily push a game into the 60-70+USD range.

so your saying saturn games take up more space than n64? if thats the case than we would probably need a HDD for sure.

zxomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zxomega
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts
i hope so on time can tell
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
It is very unlikely. The Saturn is such a complex system it would take too much time and effort to emulate on any system. Plus 512mb just isn'tpractical for CD based games. Even with compression.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="kenakuma"][QUOTE="snowman6251"]

kenakuma

Carts were many times more expensive per MB than CDs. A 650MB disc factored mere pennies into the cost, while a 64MB cart (the largest and least used cart size made for the N64) would easily push a game into the 60-70+USD range.

so your saying saturn games take up more space than n64? if thats the case than we would probably need a HDD for sure.

Well they could take up more space. That doesn't mean they always did.

elektrixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 elektrixxx
Member since 2004 • 11804 Posts
In general, they would be too big. Some or most Saturn games would feature higher bitrate music and FMV's due to a higher limit on storage.
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

I would be really excited if Saturn was to make it on to VC.

Although it's very unlikely,there are a quite a few Sega Saturn titles that deserve more attention.

Policenauts

Silhouette Mirage

Burning Rangers

Christmas NiGHTS (with unlockable Sonic into Dreams,a really cool bonus)

Phychic Killer Taromaru

Virtual On

Guardian Heros

All really good and fun titles. It's unfortunate that so few people have played them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#16 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

I'd like to see it happen if for a few reasons:

1. The Saturn was a great system with a ton of great games that were overshadowed by the playstation. People should have an opportunity to play some of these titles.

2. Having easy access to Radiant Silvergun on the VC might make the cost of buying a complete copy of the actual import a bit cheaper. 200 bucks is pretty steep.

blueydwlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blueydwlf
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts
Id say we apsolutely will eventually. Cinsidering we have Genesis and soon the Master system. Plus how buddy buddy sega has been with nintendo lately. I just hope the storage situation is figured out before then because its hard enough fitting more than a few N64 games on the Wii.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
The moment a harddrive is released (and it will be), I want the Saturn to get onto the VC. I want to play the original NiGHTS before trying the Wii-sequel.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

the sega saturn is pretty much meh. and the only games that I might want to see are the virtua cop like games which used to be in the arcades all the time and probably still are

let's focus on releasing more of the epic titles of the snes and 64 shall we. though I dont think there are any games left for the 64

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

the sega saturn is pretty much meh. and the only games that I might want to see are the virtua cop like games which used to be in the arcades all the time and probably still are

let's focus on releasing more of the epic titles of the snes and 64 shall we. though I dont think there are any games left for the 64

thattotally

Mario Tennis, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64, Mini Beetle Racing, Super Smash Bros.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
Every compan should want to jam every console they can onto VC. I dont know what the hell is wrong with Atari and some other companies.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts
[QUOTE="thattotally"]

JAB991

Mario Tennis, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64, Mini Beetle Racing, Super Smash Bros.

yeah I had DK 64 in mind when I wrote this but... are we really gonna see it? and you posted like what, 5 or 6 games, of which half are crap. and I already own super smash, played it to the end when all we had was the 64 back at the beach house

Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts
[QUOTE="kenakuma"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="kenakuma"][QUOTE="snowman6251"]

ThePlothole

Well they could take up more space. That doesn't mean they always did.

The music usually took up most of the CD's space back then. I have no doubt that some Sega Saturn games could fit on the Wii (Virtua Fighter was on the 32X after all) but some are a bit more complex than that.
stevencompton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stevencompton
Member since 2003 • 1461 Posts

It is very unlikely. The Saturn is such a complex system it would take too much time and effort to emulate on any system. Plus 512mb just isn'tpractical for CD based games. Even with compression.manicfoot

I agree.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cyber-
it seems like these days the biggest thing holding back the wii from really taking off is its memory.
firedonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 firedonut
Member since 2007 • 390 Posts

Since there are some CD based TG-16 games on the VC, I don't see why Saturn games couldn't fit also.

But to answer the original question, OF COURSE!

I hate Treasure for not letting me play Radiant Silvergun, and this is their chance for redemption.

...Who am I kidding? I can't hate Treasure no matter what they do wrong.

sirfrieden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sirfrieden
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts
Look, Discs hold 700 MB and N64 games hold 20-50 MB except for a few select few like RE 2 which held 128 MB or something like that. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY Saturn games are going to show up for 3 reasons 1. The Wii has no storage capacity capable of handling 700 MB downloads 2. Think of the humongous hassle of downloading a 700 MB file if your internet isnt too fast (Yeah I know Xbox live has huge files, but I just think Nintendo cares a little more about customer satisfaction), and 3. most arent too good to begin with, but yeah I definitely wouldnt mind seeing Knights and Panzer Dragoon/Saga show up on the Wii.
yowvapa2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 yowvapa2
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts

It is very unlikely. The Saturn is such a complex system it would take too much time and effort to emulate on any system. Plus 512mb just isn'tpractical for CD based games. Even with compression.manicfoot

Even if the Wii receives a hard-drive and a memory upgrade, it may not play Saturn games because of its complexity. I believe that was its undoing because developers felt that the Saturn was a difficult console to make games for. This is why not that many games were developed on it, and was a major mistake that will eventually bring about Sega's downfall in the console-making business.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cyber-

[QUOTE="manicfoot"]It is very unlikely. The Saturn is such a complex system it would take too much time and effort to emulate on any system. Plus 512mb just isn'tpractical for CD based games. Even with compression.yowvapa2

Even if the Wii receives a hard-drive and a memory upgrade, it may not play Saturn games because of its complexity. I believe that was its undoing because developers felt that the Saturn was a difficult console to make games for. This is why not that many games were developed on it, and was a major mistake that will eventually bring about Sega's downfall in the console-making business.

The way VC is selling its worth it to put any console on it.

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts
I dont want them to get to ahead of themselves... they need to first start puting the Master System games on there (and get a really good base of games) before they start thinking about what is next.
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 manicfoot
[QUOTE="yowvapa2"]

[QUOTE="manicfoot"]It is very unlikely. The Saturn is such a complex system it would take too much time and effort to emulate on any system. Plus 512mb just isn'tpractical for CD based games. Even with compression.Cyber-

It really doesn't make business sense in this case. The Saturn was a huge failure in America and Europe and symbolised the beginning of the end for Sega. It would take a lot of investment to get Saturn games up and running on Wii because it was an insanely complicated system with 2 processors (this is why NiGHTS is being re-made on the PS2 and not ported over) AND on top of that you'll have to get around Wii's memory limitations.

Since the Saturn failed in America and Europe you can presume that the only place the Saturn games would sell reasonably well on VC would be in Japan, where it was fairly successful. I think Sega want to forget about the Saturn. I seriously doubt they're gonna be all "hey! look at this! This console nearly RUINED US"

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ag1052
[QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="yowvapa2"]

[QUOTE="manicfoot"]It is very unlikely. The Saturn is such a complex system it would take too much time and effort to emulate on any system. Plus 512mb just isn'tpractical for CD based games. Even with compression.manicfoot

It really doesn't make business sense in this case. The Saturn was a huge failure in America and Europe and symbolised the beginning of the end for Sega. It would take a lot of investment to get Saturn games up and running on Wii because it was an insanely complicated system with 2 processors (this is why NiGHTS is being re-made on the PS2 and not ported over) AND on top of that you'll have to get around Wii's memory limitations.

Since the Saturn failed in America and Europe you can presume that the only place the Saturn games would sell reasonably well on VC would be in Japan, where it was fairly successful. I think Sega want to forget about the Saturn. I seriously doubt they're gonna be all "hey! look at this! This console nearly RUINED US"

the Turbographix didnt sell well and its on the VC... there is a market for market for lesser owned systems on the VC... there will be those diehard fans that want to play their games again and others who want to know what they missed. Plus you talk about the Saturn as if it was the virtual boy, there is a big difference in the two...
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 manicfoot
[QUOTE="manicfoot"][QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="yowvapa2"]

[QUOTE="manicfoot"]It is very unlikely. The Saturn is such a complex system it would take too much time and effort to emulate on any system. Plus 512mb just isn'tpractical for CD based games. Even with compression.ag1052

the Turbographix didnt sell well and its on the VC... there is a market for market for lesser owned systems on the VC... there will be those diehard fans that want to play their games again and others who want to know what they missed. Plus you talk about the Saturn as if it was the virtual boy, there is a big difference in the two...

Yes, but emulating Turbographix on Wii would have been a pretty painless process. Emulating the Saturn would take a LOT more time and effort so I don't see it happening. I'm not saying the Saturn is a waste of time or anything. It is a very under rated system with some great games but I think it is highly unlikely we will see any of its great games on VC. It'll be too hard for them to do.

azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts

/thread

Rocky32189
Or at least if Nintendo decided to release a patch for the Wii that would allow it to read games from the SD card slot.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cyber-
[QUOTE="ag1052"][QUOTE="manicfoot"][QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="yowvapa2"]

[QUOTE="manicfoot"]It is very unlikely. The Saturn is such a complex system it would take too much time and effort to emulate on any system. Plus 512mb just isn'tpractical for CD based games. Even with compression.manicfoot

Yes, but emulating Turbographix on Wii would have been a pretty painless process. Emulating the Saturn would take a LOT more time and effort so I don't see it happening. I'm not saying the Saturn is a waste of time or anything. It is a very under rated system with some great games but I think it is highly unlikely we will see any of its great games on VC. It'll be too hard for them to do.

Trust me there would be a practical way to do it. There are a few games they could do and they would be awsome. If nothing else they can be remade on VC. My point is were moving towards that right now as more systems join the VC wagon.

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ag1052
you would need a new vc controller wouldnt you?
aravindashwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 aravindashwin
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts
It would be quite cool if Saturn games were on the VC, but not many people know about the Saturn, so I don't think they will be on the VC.
dodgersfan7800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 dodgersfan7800
Member since 2006 • 235 Posts

Every compan should want to jam every console they can onto VC. I dont know what the hell is wrong with Atari and some other companies.Cyber-

Agreed. I want the Atari systems on the VC.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cyber-

[QUOTE="Cyber-"]Every compan should want to jam every console they can onto VC. I dont know what the hell is wrong with Atari and some other companies.dodgersfan7800

Agreed. I want the Atari systems on the VC.

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

Since we getting the Sega Master System on Virtual Console why not we get Sega Saturn games on Virtual Console. It could cost like 1000 Wii Points like Nintendo 64 games but we may have some classics on our list and you can use neither the Classic Control or the Gamecube Controller. We may get a lot of Arcade ports since Sega Saturn is famous for those and here's the game that should be on Virtual Console.

Bug!
Bug Too!
Burning Rangers
Die Hard Arcade
Daytona USA
Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
Golden Axe: The Duel
Gale Racer (Import)
Hang-On GP '95
Highway 2000
House Of The Dead
Last Bronx
Maxiumm Force
Metal Slug: Super Vehicle-001
Mr. Bones
Nights into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Primal Rage
Radiant Silvergun (Import)
Rayman
Resident Evil
Road Rash
Saturn Bomberman
Sega Rally Championship
Sega Touring Car Championship
Shining Force III
Shining the Holy Ark
Snatcher
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Jam
Sonic R
Space Invaders
Spot Goes To Hollywood
Super Adventure Rockman (Import)
Tetris Plus
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Kids
Virtua Racing
Worms

Sorry for this long list because I figured that could be enough for all of that.

Negemite

I'd like to see Dark Savior and Dragon Force, which were two of the best on the Saturn in my opinion.

pmay007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pmay007
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts
I would love to see the saturn on this just as much as i would love to see the dreamcast, but everyone is going on and on about needing a hard drive, there is more chance of nintendo making it posbble to run games from an sd card or a hcsd card, if they decided to upgrade the firmware, thats probably the only ways its gonna happen so people enough already with the hard drive, i wouldn't be two bothered buying more sd cards.
w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
Dude.....I Loooooooooove Diehard Arcade!!!!
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ThePlothole

Look, Discs hold 700 MB and N64 games hold 20-50 MB except for a few select few like RE 2 which held 128 MB or something like that. THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY Saturn games are going to show up for 3 reasons 1. The Wii has no storage capacity capable of handling 700 MB downloads 2. Think of the humongous hassle of downloading a 700 MB file if your internet isnt too fast (Yeah I know Xbox live has huge files, but I just think Nintendo cares a little more about customer satisfaction), and 3. most arent too good to begin with, but yeah I definitely wouldnt mind seeing Knights and Panzer Dragoon/Saga show up on the Wii.sirfrieden

Actually even the cart thhat held RE2 was only 64MB. (it used considerably more compression vs other versions of the game)

you would need a new vc controller wouldnt you?ag1052

THE N64 had just as many face buttons, and one more shoulder button, as the saturn controller.

VillasAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VillasAE
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Yes it would be really nice if this was possible. People that had never heard of the saturn before could experience games like panzer dragoon, dragon force, guardian heroes, NIGHTS, Virua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix and virtua cop to name but a few... But as mentioned above the complexity of the saturn hardware itself would make it impossible for the wii to run an emulator at a decent framerate. Even on the pc there is only one decently working emulator and it needs at least a 2.0 ghz dual core cpu and 1gb of Ram to run at a good framerate. The wii is much slower than that and has only 64mb of ram. Then there is also the storage limit, as the wii has only 512 mb of memory and a saturn game would take up at least 600mb of memory...

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#45 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Love to see it happen but I don't think it can
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#46 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Given the way that the Wii currently seems to handle VC emulation? No. As it currently works now, the Wii tries to copy the game fully to its internal memory before it will attempt to run/play it. Even if you compressed ISO's for the console to be able to download them off the Shop channel, you have to figure that most users now would have much save data on their Wii systems they don't want to get rid of, or that it would be unwieldy to try to store CD-sized games on SD cards. Unless Nintendo does a major overhaul in how the loading of VC/downloaded titles work and allows streaming instead of copy then load like it currently does, I just don't see it actually happening. However, I could see a homebrew emulator to allow loading Saturn disc games working; the system should be powerful enough by now. Main game I want to see from the Saturn is Die Hard Arcade. That was the **** :D
eggbenedict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 eggbenedict
Member since 2010 • 121 Posts

sega is all about making money we already have nearly every important sega game on the VC even a few on the VC arcade

i never had a chance to play theSaturn will it be on who knows can the wii hold the games with the Sd card save functioni don't see why not if they can program the games right.

now with the topic on VC sales i don't see them selling well in america or ero because companies are not making as many VC games as in japan its also dieing over there but mostly because of the fact in japan they have 579 VC games over are 363

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

The more systems we have on the VC, the better.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Old thread's getting locked for being old, but I'll just point out a few things. 1. The main problem is emulating the hardware, as others have said. 2. Storage space isn't an issue any longer, thanks to the upgrades to the SD card reader. For those who say it would be too big anyway, remember that there are already CD-based games on Virtual Console with the TG-CD, and compression technology has improved greatly.