Should Nintendo go all in with Indies and forget AAA third parties?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7537 Posts

Given last week's Switch presentation, it's pretty clear that Nintendo is still struggling to get the big AAA third parties on board. And third parties are very important for keeping your user base active. People don't want to wait months and months between releases.

So with that said, should Nintendo fill out its calendar year with heaps of indies that they themselves publish (or promote)? Games like Snipper Clips, Fast RMX, and Shovel Knight. These developers are creating games that people are really enjoying. Forget trying to partner up with or convince us that the AAA third parties are coming. Remember that image with about 40 third party logos?

Remove and replace them with 40 promising Nindies. The AAA's aren't going to give us an honest effort, not unless the Switch sells well. And instead of promising us games that aren't going to come, it'd be far more enticing to see a whole bunch of unique indie games that are actually running on your system.

Give us Zelda at launch, sprinkle a whole bunch of Nindie games between other tent pole AAA Nintendo releases, and there ya go. That's a system with a convincing library.

tl;dr give us more games like Snipper Clips, Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Shantae, etc. And not only give us these games, but promote the hell out of them. Forget false promises of AAA third parties and push the Nindies to the forefront alongside the Nintendo AAA games.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2416 Posts

No, be indie or third party they provide games nintendo can't. Besides for all we know aaa studios weren't ready to announce anything

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79958 Posts

Only if Nintendo can vastly improve the quantity of their first party titles, which we all know they're far too cheap to do. No, they need indies and every single third party they can get.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16028 Posts

i think AAA multiplats are a write off. they would need to pay for a AAA 3rd parties development (at a minimum) to get it exclusively on the switch.

but i think it should be a good mix if supporting indies and AA developers also. smaller budget (10-25 million dollar range) games that can still be impressive.

they need a good mixture of games to draw more people in

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9380 Posts

Indies aren't a substitute for AAA 3rd party games. Nintendo needs everyone, everyone on board. If the screenshots of Dragon Quest Heroes are anything to go by, Nintendo put out another woefully underpowered system that is going to have trouble getting support down the road. Even now it seems to be having difficulties.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I think its the best ideal. If they could assemble a knowledgeable team and go play and hunt down Indie games and publish them for the world to see so we can kinda trust them. I think would be an amazing goal for Nintendo to achieve.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7537 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Indies aren't a substitute for AAA 3rd party games. Nintendo needs everyone, everyone on board. If the screenshots of Dragon Quest Heroes are anything to go by, Nintendo put out another woefully underpowered system that is going to have trouble getting support down the road. Even now it seems to be having difficulties.

Exactly, but instead of doing nothing about it, you may as well substitute. They've been depreciating in AAA third party support since since the N64 with every passing generation. I'm suggesting that they do something about it this time, in a different way. Instead of hopelessly showing us these 40 logos, push the indies to the forefront. Remember that part of the Switch presentation with those developers just *talking* about their games and that they want to support the Switch? Replace that with awesome indie games that are actually running on the system and playable on the floor. A substitution is so much better than half-assed ports that come way later down the line.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iandizion713

@trugs26: Agreed with that 100%. Would have been better to plug an Indie game in there. It would have made a great point, hey, were about games bro, not promises.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3237 Posts

No bad idea. If they can acquire a AAA game, then they should be able to go multi platform. However, I understand Nintendo is no Sony or Microsoft, thus no Mass Effect or Uncharted.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iandizion713

@outworld222: Star Wars would be a good AAA game to get for Switch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

At this point Trugs, idk, I think maybe you're right. If the third-party AAA developers still don't want to develop for the Switch.... Then forget those *******. Maybe it's best if Nintendo just fills the void with people who do want to work with them and meet them halfway.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18563 Posts

There are a ton of couch co-op or single-screen competitive multiplayer games on the PC. The PC! The vast majority of them would run fine on the Switch, and with two controllers handy at all times, they're a perfect fit. Snipperclips was one of the standout games shown at the reveal for good reason.

Indie devs should be scrambling to get their games on the Switch, and Nintendo should make it as easy as possible for that to happen. There's a huge potential market there.

Avatar image for logicallizard07
logicallizard07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 logicallizard07
Member since 2015 • 325 Posts

I don't think Nintendo absolutely needs the big AAA budget third party games. I will be more than happy with indies and stuff from NIS, Atlus, etc... They mainly need some cool games to fill the gaps between their awesome first party offerings. As long as the indies and stuff keep coming I think they will be just fine.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21486 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

Still can't believe Nintendo never pried Rouge Squadron franchise from Factor 5's cold dead hands. Nintendo could've had their own personal Star Wars series that would have been more than capable of competing against what the other systems offer. Wasted opportunity and potential IMO....

RedAlert539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15  Edited By RedAlert539
Member since 2015 • 358 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

Overwatch would be a great AAA game for Switch. Insanely popular and easy to run. But i do agree with what ppl said in this topic. If Nintendo focused on building a library that is a mix of serious first party titles that are not only Zelda and Mario(Metroid, Starfox, F-Zero, Smash Bros, Mother, etc) and exclusive indie gems(the likes of Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Hyper Light Drifter) it would be a very smart move imo. Add to that the potential AAA addition like Overwatch every now and then and we have a potentially very succesful system in our hands.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iandizion713

@redalert539: Amen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@tocool340 said:
@iandizion713 said:

Still can't believe Nintendo never pried Rouge Squadron franchise from Factor 5's cold dead hands. Nintendo could've had their own personal Star Wars series that would have been more than capable of competing against what the other systems offer. Wasted opportunity and potential IMO....

You need Star Wars to compete with modern offerings?

Not original ideas like Splatoon and Arms, or big games like Mario Odyssey and Zelda?

Do you see what's kind of lousy about that line of thinking?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iandizion713

@Ovirew: When you have a bunch of Star Wars movies releasing aimed at kids and everybody else...yeah, it kinda helps a bunch. Maybe further important than Minecrafta and all other third party support.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@iandizion713 said:

@Ovirew: When you have a bunch of Star Wars movies releasing aimed at kids and everybody else...yeah, it kinda helps a bunch. Maybe further important than Minecrafta and all other third party support.

I don't really see it that way. I see Star Wars as being a step in the opposite direction of what Nintendo aims for.

The thing both Nintendo and Star Wars have in common is nostalgia. Aside from that, I see Star Wars as being more or less a cash-grab for some third-party companies to make licensed games off of.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iandizion713

@Ovirew: Cash grab or not, kids and others dreams will come true when it releases. Its something that complements the Nintendo brand very well.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21486 Posts

@Ovirew said:
@tocool340 said:
@iandizion713 said:

You need Star Wars to compete with modern offerings?

Not original ideas like Splatoon and Arms, or big games like Mario Odyssey and Zelda?

Do you see what's kind of lousy about that line of thinking?

No, sorry. I don't see it. From a business perspective, I think YOUR way of thinking is pretty lousy and one of the reasons why Wii U failed. Star Wars franchise is pretty much trending at the moment and where is its support for Nintendo consoles? And I'm pretty sure consumers don't particularly care for a Star Wars lego game the same way they didn't care about a Metroid Confederation game. They prefer a genuine title not some cheap derivative spin off.

Besides, I'm more particularly interested in the Rouge Squadron series. Much like other past Nintendo IP titles that haven't received anywhere as much love as Pokemon or Mario (examples would be F-Zero or a METROID PRIME type game), if it gets advertised correctly and if it doesn't get Nintendo'd (morphed into what appears to be a lighthearted cheap spin off), then I'm pretty sure a modernized version of Rouge Squadron would create more buzz, push more systems than a game like Arms. At least, it would more than grab my attention considering how long I've waited for a Rouge Squadron game with online abilities and not something in a particular style like Arms or Splatoon...