Should I purchase screen protectors?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pastgamesrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 pastgamesrule
Member since 2005 • 311 Posts

Hey everyone. I was thinking about buying Mario & Sonic: OG and seeing as it's pretty stylus heavy I thought I might pick up a case of screen protectors beforehand. My question is are the protectors reliable? I've heard they are rather hard to peel off once u place them on the screen which could be a problem (I always seem to place stickers on crooked/screwed up). Should I give it a shot?

_=pastgamesrule=_

Darkrush000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Darkrush000
Member since 2008 • 271 Posts
The screen protectors from Pelican (just an example) suck. You should buy screen protectors from japanese companies, like Hori. I own it and it is very useful. I love it!
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I use one on my top screen, but they seem to make the touch screen less responsive in my experiences.
FierceWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FierceWarrior
Member since 2008 • 415 Posts

the screen protector didn't help my screen at all it ruined it.

Player94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Player94
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts
You should buy a screen protector. It would help alot and not screw up your touch screen.I'm not sure about the specific brand. I just buy any that I see and they work perfectly.:P
zeundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zeundertaker
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
yes you should buy screen protectors, they are really good if you don't want to scratch your screen, especially if you are playing Mario and Sonic, which can really scratch your screen if you are not careful and you don't have screen protectors..
Timotei123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Timotei123
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

I'd say, screen protectors are good and work for what they were made for, but yes the screen seems a little less responsive... also... I don't use screen protectors because, if you don't take hours putting them on sorrectly, you get nasty air bubbles that don't want to come out even with that soft card thing, and then the protectors are not the same size as the screen, so you're left with a gap around the edges which come full of filth and crumbs which you can't get out unless you take the protectors off in the first place...

What I'm saying here is, screen protectors are good, but they make your DS (or at least mine) look dirty and messy :/

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

I have a couple things to say.

Screen protectors were created to protect the screen, and if they in turn ruin it, YOUR DOIN IT WRONG.

If the gap around the edge becomes filled with crumbs and filth, i suggest you dont play ds while eating cookies, and you wash your hands more frequently.

I bought the first screen protectors i laid eyes on at kmart 2 years ago, have np problems with them, and they cost 4 bucks. I peel an edge up occasionally to make sure no damage is going on, and it isnt. I still havent replaced them. Theyre not getting scratched up, nor causing any damage, so why should i? And, I find the difference in touch screen sensitivity to be negligible.

Timotei123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Timotei123

*sighs* well I apologise for doing two things at once... and HEY I do wash my hands all the time...

Anyways... I say they do what they are supposed to if you put them on properly... that's why I said (or at least mine) :/

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts
Yes, you NEED one. I bought my DS 2 months ago and it would be screwed already if I didn't buy one. You just need one on the bottom screen. Clean the screen well and then put the protector fast. It shouldn't take "hours" to put on... Removing the protectors is very easy, use a piece of paper. Don't remove it because there's an air bubble, you will only make it more dirty.
Lucho_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lucho_21
Member since 2006 • 239 Posts
Don't buy them! better buy another game instead
Timotei123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Timotei123
LOL didn't think about putting it on quick... sorry dude yeah screen protectors are probably a good idea if that's a vigorous game :)
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#13 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
Screen protectors are mandatory....
viewtifullee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 viewtifullee
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts
well ds dunt really need protectin....but u can buy em....i got a phat and when i lose my stylus i bought a new pack and the screen protector came with it
viewtifullee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 viewtifullee
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts
but the protectors are good its like theres nothin there...most of the time..well dunt expect it to look pretty ..the protectors stay in place pretty well...+ the touch screen is still sensitive too even wit the protectors
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts
Heard they are bad. They are good for the PSP, but there are no screen problems with the DS.
superluigi96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 superluigi96
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts
I put one on the bottom screen since it's the one that gets stylused all the time. Haven't had a problem with touch sensitivity (had to recalibrate to make up for extra thickness, but no big deal) and screen is scratch-free. Can't remember what brand it was though. But yeah, I would definitely recommend picking up a screen protector.
Avatar image for mydeadlyshadow9
mydeadlyshadow9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mydeadlyshadow9
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts
instead of that, put a new touch screen in ds lite like the apple ipod touch. my ipod touch has been aboused by finger with nails but 0 scratches whereas if im not like ultra soft on my ds screen , it gets scratched. see my point , no one should need screen protectors if the screen itself was any good.
rockwii13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 rockwii13
Member since 2007 • 611 Posts
Well, it's of hard to say. I have that game and it does use the stylus a lot, but the screen protectors make the touch screen less responsive and and they are hard to get off. It also depends on what type of DS you have, because the DS Lite's screen won't scratch as easily as a regular DS. The screen protectors are more trouble than helpful.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I've never needed one, i'm pretty gentle with the stylus. As long as you don't dig at the screen you'll be fine.
BigN64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BigN64
It depends on wheither you have an original DS or DS Lite. The DS Lite's screen is more scratch resistant than the original. They also make the touch screen on DS or DS Lite less responsive and hard to see. If you have a DS Lite, then you don't need them. Just be gentle on the touch screen when using a stylus.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

It depends on wheither you have an original DS or DS Lite. The DS Lite's screen is more scratch resistant than the original. They also make the touch screen on DS or DS Lite less responsive and hard to see. If you have a DS Lite, then you don't need them. Just be gentle on the touch screen when using a stylus. BigN64

What kind of screen protectors have you used? I have never experienced these problems. Of course screen sensitivity is reduced a bit, but its almost un noticeable. A recalibibration will make it null.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I say make sure you use a quality screen protector, and definitely do it. I use Hori ones, along with eventually everybody else I know around here, and none of us have any complaints. Especially after stuff like Ninja Gaiden DS, it's nice being able to clean the protector off and the screen is still pristine.
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

i brought a screen protector a few monts ago for my ds lite because i was getting zelda phantom hourglass (which is totally touch screen controlled) and the screen protector is great. i've had no problems with it so far. and the sensitivity is the same as it was before i put the screen protector on. it's fine

marchofthedogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 marchofthedogs
Member since 2008 • 192 Posts

Yes, you NEED one. I bought my DS 2 months ago and it would be screwed already if I didn't buy one. You just need one on the bottom screen. Clean the screen well and then put the protector fast. It shouldn't take "hours" to put on... Removing the protectors is very easy, use a piece of paper. Don't remove it because there's an air bubble, you will only make it more dirty.bloodling

I agree
Especially if you play games that require alot of use of the touch screen, e.g The Legend Of Zelda: PH or Pokemon Ranger

BigN64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BigN64

Well, it's of hard to say. I have that game and it does use the stylus a lot, but the screen protectors make the touch screen less responsive and and they are hard to get off. It also depends on what type of DS you have, because the DS Lite's screen won't scratch as easily as a regular DS. The screen protectors are more trouble than helpful.rockwii13

I agree

banzai_sword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 banzai_sword
Member since 2008 • 34 Posts
I have screen protectors for my lite. Their great, atlleast my screens still look good, the rest of my DS has gone bad, getting new one under warranty soon!
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
No, They're not very good.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
No, They're not very good. GamerJM
sigh. as mentioned, quality ones like Hori are awesome. cheap ones like whatever you might find at best buy or gamestop are a complete roll of the dice.