Should I get...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sawneek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sawneek
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I'm planning to get a 3DS plus some games. I'm also getting PKMN White.

I'm a bit interested in SoulSilver too, but I don't have so much money, and I wonder if it is worth getting.

Thank you if you're going to answer.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

(inb4) Number one, you should not be buying a 3DS if you plan to use it for mostly DS games. Regular DS games look really, really, really bad on a 3DS.

The 3DS isn't a bad system, but it makes DS games just... ugh.

SoulSilver/HeartGold are great Pokemon games, but after you play Black and White, you'll be really annyed with past generation games because they lack a lot of the newer, better features. It's all up to you really.

Sawneek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sawneek

Allright. I wonder what good games there are for the 3DS. Perhaps

Ocarina of Time and Kid Icarus. But except for those, there aren't many other 3DS games that I am interested in.

I guess that I'll have to wait for more.

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
I've heard DS games look fine on the 3DS. Who said they look "really, really, really bad?"
AstralDrmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AstralDrmz
Member since 2009 • 784 Posts
I've heard DS games look fine on the 3DS. Who said they look "really, really, really bad?"TankZorz
They looked fine in the video I watched, just smaller on the screen if you use the original ratio.
Sawneek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sawneek

You can't play GBA on the 3DS, can you? I'm not surprised.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Yoweeh
I've heard DS games look fine on the 3DS. Who said they look "really, really, really bad?"TankZorz
Boop. "Although it might be somewhat difficult to see in video form, the video upscaling that the 3DS enables by default tends to make DS games look pretty bad."
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TankZorz
That still isn't "really, really, really bad." If it looks that bad to you, you can always play it at the original scale. There will be a large frame around the games at this scale but it looks fine.
Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yoweeh
That still isn't "really, really, really bad." If it looks that bad to you, you can always play it at the original scale. There will be a large frame around the games at this scale but it looks fine.TankZorz
The original scale is smaller than the DSi's and with the frames in makes it look even smaller. My money goes towards the 3DS Lite not being that underdeveloped as far as all that planning goes. OP, save your money.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

(inb4) Number one, you should not be buying a 3DS if you plan to use it for mostly DS games. Regular DS games look really, really, really bad on a 3DS.

The 3DS isn't a bad system, but it makes DS games just... ugh.

SoulSilver/HeartGold are great Pokemon games, but after you play Black and White, you'll be really annyed with past generation games because they lack a lot of the newer, better features. It's all up to you really.

Yoweeh

+1 good post

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts
[QUOTE="TankZorz"]I've heard DS games look fine on the 3DS. Who said they look "really, really, really bad?"AstralDrmz
They looked fine in the video I watched, just smaller on the screen if you use the original ratio.

You're right. You can play it in the exact same ratio or stretched to fit the screens, but on the top screen it will be displayed in 4:3 instead of 16:9. And they look fine to me.
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TankZorz
[QUOTE="TankZorz"]That still isn't "really, really, really bad." If it looks that bad to you, you can always play it at the original scale. There will be a large frame around the games at this scale but it looks fine.Yoweeh
The original scale is smaller than the DSi's and with the frames in makes it look even smaller. My money goes towards the 3DS Lite not being that underdeveloped as far as all that planning goes. OP, save your money.

Nintendo has already said there won't be a 3DS Lite. By the time they start making new models they will probably start phasing out DS games completely so there will be no need to plan for a better way to handle DS games. This probably won't happen for at least 4 or 5 years but it will happen at some point. Either that or they will come out with a completely new handheld and all DS games (including 3DS) will be obsolete.
SkyHalcyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 SkyHalcyon
Personally, I'd hold off on the 3DS if you're just going to be using it for DS games. Like other people said, the graphics aren't very good. If you're looking for a nice solid platform for DS games I'd suggest the DS Lite. It's probably getting cheaper now with the DSi and 3DS released, but it still has a lot of the same basic features. (It plays the games, what more do you really need?) As for gaming, I'd get SoulSilver and play through that first. The price for past games in the series tends to drop when a new game comes out, so if you wait a little while, you should be able to get it cheaper. Once you've gotten your fill of Pokemon from that, you can get White. (HeartGold and SoulSilver are both great games, I highly recommended them.) Hope this helps!
AstralDrmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AstralDrmz
Member since 2009 • 784 Posts
HG/SS actually cost $5 more than Black/White if you buy them new.
SkyHalcyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 SkyHalcyon
Really? My bad, I suppose I should have checked that before coming in here and shooting my big mouth off. I wonder why they cost more, though. It's usually been my experience in the past that the past games go down in price when new ones come out. Ah well, you can't be right all the time.