Shinobi - Anyone get it? - Impressions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Shinobi comes out today for the 3DS. I have looked at a couple of reviews from smaller sites and it seems to be getting around 7.5/8.0 scores. The main knock seems to be the graphics are not very good for a 3DS game. It really looks like it could have been made on the DS. IGN hasnt put up a reviewyet, but im sure it will be today. GS will probably review it in a few weeks. lol.

It looks like alot of fun though. Supposed to be extremely difficult. The movement described seems like a cross between old Shinobi and newer Ninja Gaiden controls. Seems pretty cool. Any thoughts yet?

violentken88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 violentken88
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

Im a fan of the shinobi series and do want to pick this up also. The graphics aren't amazing but the game does look fun. Has anyone picked it up?

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJChronx

Its an all-new game right, not a remake?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
I keep waffling back and forth between Ace Combat, Shinobi and Mario 3DL. I guess I'll just make the decision in store... (Just copy/pasted this comment in the Ace Combat/NFS thread, too- I'm hoping someone can direct me to reviews for Ace Combat/Shinobi to help me with the big decision.)
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

I'm interested to hear as well. May pick it up next week if I hear good things about it.

LightEclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LightEclipse
Member since 2008 • 181 Posts

It's actually pretty good. I haven't played too much of it yet, but from what I have played I'd give it an 8 or 8.5. One thing that suprised me was the fact that there is a decent amount of content in this game. It's also pretty hard, which is fantastic because I love a good challenge.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 El_Zo1212o

It's actually pretty good. I haven't played too much of it yet, but from what I have played I'd give it an 8 or 8.5. One thing that suprised me was the fact that there is a decent amount of content in this game. It's also pretty hard, which is fantastic because I love a good challenge.

LightEclipse
Any voice acting or cutscenes? what kind of content? Modes? Costumes? Artwork? My local Gamestop dropped the ball today and they didn't have Shinobi or Ace Combat, so I settled on Mario.
Avatar image for imbusydoctorwho
imbusydoctorwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 imbusydoctorwho
Member since 2010 • 193 Posts

Looks like a cool game,I'll probably pick it up when it goes down in price,never paying £40 for it.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts
[QUOTE="LightEclipse"]

El_Zo1212o
Any voice acting or cutscenes? what kind of content? Modes? Costumes? Artwork? My local Gamestop dropped the ball today and they didn't have Shinobi or Ace Combat, so I settled on Mario.

Man, you didn't settle at all. I feel like I have been settling for the last 6-7 months with the software I have played on my 3ds. Sure, there were solid titles to play but nothing mind blowing. The two best games were fighters IMO and now that I am immersed into Mario Land 3D I am wholeheartedly excited about the future of the 3DS. Mario is incredible. I was also considering Shinobi, but it seems best suited for a $20 or less purchase. Also, if the console version of Ace Combat is any indication, then Ace Combat probably won't whet the whistle like Mario can. The only other game I was considering that came out this week is NFS: The Run. I put a ton of hours into Ridge Racer and would like another solid, more realistic racer pretty soon. As with Shinobi and Ace Combat, reviews are not really flying out. I have not really found a review yet on any of these games I would deem credible. I will probably skip NFS based on the console reviews, but you never know. The handheld version may surprise me. Sorry if I am all over the place man. I am spun on caffeine, little sleep, little food, and my brain is processing things strangely.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="LightEclipse"]

SNESMaster420

Man, you didn't settle at all. I feel like I have been settling for the last 6-7 months with the software I have played on my 3ds. Sure, there were solid titles to play but nothing mind blowing. The two best games were fighters IMO and now that I am immersed into Mario Land 3D I am wholeheartedly excited about the future of the 3DS. Mario is incredible. I was also considering Shinobi, but it seems best suited for a $20 or less purchase. Also, if the console version of Ace Combat is any indication, then Ace Combat probably won't whet the whistle like Mario can. The only other game I was considering that came out this week is NFS: The Run. I put a ton of hours into Ridge Racer and would like another solid, more realistic racer pretty soon. As with Shinobi and Ace Combat, reviews are not really flying out. I have not really found a review yet on any of these games I would deem credible. I will probably skip NFS based on the console reviews, but you never know. The handheld version may surprise me. Sorry if I am all over the place man. I am spun on caffeine, little sleep, little food, and my brain is processing things strangely.

Hah. I know the feeling. From what I understand, NFS got lousy scores because they kept taking you out of the car, and the 3ds version doesn't do that. I would put Mario on the pretty good side of okay. I haven't really 'loved' a Mario game since Super Mario World, but this one is definately better than New SMB. I did turn up 1 review of Ace Combat and they seemed to think it was A-OK, but they mentioned it still includes that dogfight mode(which I roundly hated in the AC:AH demo on 360.
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJChronx

I keep waffling back and forth between Ace Combat, Shinobi and Mario 3DL. I guess I'll just make the decision in store... (Just copy/pasted this comment in the Ace Combat/NFS thread, too- I'm hoping someone can direct me to reviews for Ace Combat/Shinobi to help me with the big decision.)El_Zo1212o

Go to gamerankings.com. They list reviews from tons of sites (some very small).

LightEclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LightEclipse

[QUOTE="LightEclipse"]

El_Zo1212o

There isn't any voice acting and the cutscenes aren't too great. As you go through the game you unlock music (which is actually pretty good imo), cutscenes that you have viewed, Artwork, Cheats, and the history of Shinobi. I could be wrong but, I believe you can also unliock Joe Musashi (the original shinobi). There is also a mode called shinobi theater. I haven't tried it yet but I think you can save replays. That's all I know atm.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="LightEclipse"]

LightEclipse

There isn't any voice acting and the cutscenes aren't too great. As you go through the game you unlock music (which is actually pretty good imo), cutscenes that you have viewed, Artwork, Cheats, and the history of Shinobi. I could be wrong but, I believe you can also unliock Joe Musashi (the original shinobi). There is also a mode called shinobi theater. I haven't tried it yet but I think you can save replays. That's all I know atm.

sounds cool. I made some trades and got the dough for Ace Combat. Easily the best air combat game I've ever played on a handheld. I'll still be picking up Shinobi, I just don't know when.
LightEclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LightEclipse

[QUOTE="LightEclipse"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Any voice acting or cutscenes? what kind of content? Modes? Costumes? Artwork? My local Gamestop dropped the ball today and they didn't have Shinobi or Ace Combat, so I settled on Mario.El_Zo1212o

sounds cool. I made some trades and got the dough for Ace Combat. Easily the best air combat game I've ever played on a handheld. I'll still be picking up Shinobi, I just don't know when.

How is ace combat? I have never played those games, but I assume it's like starfox?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="LightEclipse"] There isn't any voice acting and the cutscenes aren't too great. As you go through the game you unlock music (which is actually pretty good imo), cutscenes that you have viewed, Artwork, Cheats, and the history of Shinobi. I could be wrong but, I believe you can also unliock Joe Musashi (the original shinobi). There is also a mode called shinobi theater. I haven't tried it yet but I think you can save replays. That's all I know atm.

LightEclipse

How is ace combat? I have never played those games, but I assume it's like starfox?

Not really. You could liken it to the all range mode, but the environments are much larger, and depending on your preferred control method, you also get more control of your airplane. It's an air combat game, whereas Star Fox is an on-rails shoot 'em up.
foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

I got the shinobi for the 3ds. What it makes me want to buy was when I try to look at the nostalgia in youtube where you can watch shinobi 3 walkthroughs and then I decided to buy it especially the music and boss fights.

the graphics is good and im pretty sure this couldn't be made for the DS but for 3ds only because the screen is just too small to appreciate its graphics. Oh yeah it reminded me of Okami graphics which is ummmmm cell shaded paint brush style? Overall, its like Okami graphics

Just like the old shinobi games, it always has a score thingy to determine your rankings in each mission.

The controls is good enough but totally new from the previous side scroll shinobi except for multiple shurikens from a double jump.

the 3d is not really apreciated except when you try to ride a horse and with a 3d on, umm you can actually see its depthness. its cool.

don't know the replay value with its street pass thingy.

In conclusion, since im a fan of shinobi games. more likely you might buy it. but for those who aren't, well you might try it becuase its a ninja game and ninjas are cool but unamerican but who cares .