Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

User Lists: 0

#1 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Anyone else getting this? I totally forgot I pre-ordered until I got the email from Amazon saying it would be delivered today.

Soul Hackers Cover

I have actually never played a Shing Megami Tensei game before but ordered it based on reputation.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Lol haven't even heard of it. I still need to play the Devil Survivor games, I've heard they're good.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 logicalfrank

I am surprised there hasn't been more talk of it since Shin Megami Tensei has some rabid fans and this is the first release of it in the United States. No review here but the ones that are popping up elsewhere are pretty good. It is kind of a weird choice for my first game in the series but it least sounds like if I like this, I'll know I'll like the rest of them.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I just got my copy in the mail today. It's a remake of an old Saturn game, so I don't think the hype is going to be as big for Shin Megami Tensei IV. I'm sure it will be a solid addition to the SMT franchise though and a nice holdover untill SMTIV does arrive.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 turtlethetaffer

As a general question, does anyone know if both of the Devil Survivor games are worth palying? I've heard the first is better than the second, and I'd like someone's take on that.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

As a general question, does anyone know if both of the Devil Survivor games are worth palying? I've heard the first is better than the second, and I'd like someone's take on that.

turtlethetaffer
After playing Fire Emblem Awakening, I'm willing to give Devil Survivor Overclocked another try. :)
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I don't like that first-person style movement but I'm getting SMT IV for sure.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Just got mine this morning but I probably won't start it yet. :P
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

bbkkristian

After playing Fire Emblem Awakening, I'm willing to give Devil Survivor Overclocked another try. :)

It's an SRPG, right? Like on a grid and stuff? Or am I confusing SRPG with Tactics?

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

It's an SRPG, right? Like on a grid and stuff? Or am I confusing SRPG with Tactics?

Devil Survivor is a mixture. It's a SPRG but each enemy on the screen is actually a small group. Once you attack or are attacked it shifts to a first person view facing the monsters

Devil-Survivor-Overclock-5.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor-overcl

---

On topic, yes I'll be picking it up. It's a remake of a fairly old game so some of the gameplay mechanics are going to feel outdated

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

I am surprised there hasn't been more talk of it since Shin Megami Tensei has some rabid fans and this is the first release of it in the United States. No review here but the ones that are popping up elsewhere are pretty good. It is kind of a weird choice for my first game in the series but it least sounds like if I like this, I'll know I'll like the rest of them.

logicalfrank
to be honest it is a port of a old Sega Saturn game and atlus didn't update the visuals so i am not that surprised that it hasn't been getting the love of a newer game, i got it and this game is a mixed bag personally i love how they used the old graphics, and the gameplay is good.But the music isn't as good as other smt games, and there is a lack of any real help in the game besides asking shop keepers what they do or even a instruction manual in the game that can turn off some new users.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
It's in my "saved for later." I'm interested, but I'll probably still keep reading more reviews while waiting to get the cash to buy it.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 logicalfrank

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

elbert_b_23

to be honest it is a port of a old Sega Saturn game and atlus didn't update the visuals so i am not that surprised that it hasn't been getting the love of a newer game, i got it and this game is a mixed bag personally i love how they used the old graphics, and the gameplay is good.But the music isn't as good as other smt games, and there is a lack of any real help in the game besides asking shop keepers what they do or even a instruction manual in the game that can turn off some new users.

Well, it was never released in the US so it will be new to a lot of people on this forum. I think the visuals look nice for what it's worth but I have never cared whether or not graphics were technically good just that I like the art style. Dissapointed to hear about the music though. It does come w/ an audio CD, which is a nice touch. Reading some more reviews, I am kinda wishing I'd bought Etrian Odyssey instead which is apparently similar in terms of gameplay but does have updated visuals. Oh well. Like I said, I forgot about my pre-order and it came as a surprise so it's kind of a free gift... which cost me forty dollars.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"][QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

logicalfrank

Well, it was never released in the US so it will be new to a lot of people on this forum. I think the visuals look nice for what it's worth but I have never cared whether or not graphics were technically good just that I like the art style. Dissapointed to hear about the music though. It does come w/ an audio CD, which is a nice touch. Reading some more reviews, I am kinda wishing I'd bought Etrian Odyssey instead which is apparently similar in terms of gameplay but does have updated visuals. Oh well. Like I said, I forgot about my pre-order and it came as a surprise so it's kind of a free gift... which cost me forty dollars.

they are both completely different games and for me its hard to compare them as whats better, i tried the demo to eo4 and it wasn't what i was expecting so far i am personally enjoying soul hackers more then the eo4 demo.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Amazon sent me my copy a few days ago, will probably get it tomorrow or later today.
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

turtlethetaffer
As a general rule anything developed by Atlus is worth playing.
wraith-squad66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wraith-squad66
Member since 2008 • 1368 Posts

omggg devil survivor overlocked was one of my favorite RPGs, i'm still trying to find a place near me that carries the second one...

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Moloch121

As a general rule anything developed by Atlus is worth playing.

Lol. Shoulda known :P I haven't played a ton of their games, but I've definitely enjoyed several games they've developed (Radiant Historia) or published (Knights in the Nightmare.) I guess I'll really need to pick these games up :P

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Currently waiting for my copy to show up.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I've been so busy with other games lately, so I really need to pick this game up along with Luigi's Mansion 2 asap.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts
I just picked up my copy today, had it on pre-order so got the music CD with it. I figured I might as well, not much on the 3DS looks interesting for a while, except maybe SMT4 in the summer. Just finishing up Luigi's Mansion before popping it in. Anybody start playing? If so, what do you think so far?
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Good game but I am having trouble adjusting from Etrian Odyssey 4.  Really keep an eye on the M, you spend it by walking and every demon summon.  I may just change the setting to let me see the entire map since I naturally cannot resist mapping everything.  And unlike Strange Journey, you need to constantly switch to new demons since they do not level up.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263

Good game but I am having trouble adjusting from Etrian Odyssey 4.  Really keep an eye on the M, you spend it by walking and every demon summon.  I may just change the setting to let me see the entire map since I naturally cannot resist mapping everything.  And unlike Strange Journey, you need to constantly switch to new demons since they do not level up.

Sora278
Demon's don't level up? That might be a relief, does the game have fusion?
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="Sora278"]

lamprey263

Yes. I normally explore with Protag and Nemissa solo. Gather the M, get new demons, then before I hit the boss room, I summon the necessary demons.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I went ahead and picked it up but I'm going to wait until I beat Persona 4 until I get into it. I'm at that heavenly dungeon so I think I'm getting close. :P 

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lamprey263

I went ahead and picked it up but I'm going to wait until I beat Persona 4 until I get into it. I'm at that heavenly dungeon so I think I'm getting close. :P 

Pixel-Perfect
it's hard to get into other SMT games having played Persona 3 or 4 first, at least it was for me, such a great game
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

lamprey263

it's hard to get into other SMT games having played Persona 3 or 4 first, at least it was for me, such a great game

I guess it was lucky that Devil Survivor was my first SMT game. :P

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bubble_Man

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

lamprey263

Not for me, it isn't. Persona 3 introduced me to the SMT series and is a good game, but I like Strange Journey, Soul Hackers and Nocturne better.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sora278

[QUOTE="lamprey263"][QUOTE="Sora278"]

bbkkristian

Yes. I normally explore with Protag and Nemissa solo. Gather the M, get new demons, then before I hit the boss room, I summon the necessary demons.

Nemissa keeps dying so easily though!  I keep one demon to deal more damage and absorb some so I keep a good amount of M.  What level should I be to beat those demons at the end of Airport?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="lamprey263"] Demon's don't level up? That might be a relief, does the game have fusion?Sora278

Nemissa keeps dying so easily though!  I keep one demon to deal more damage and absorb some so I keep a good amount of M.  What level should I be to beat those demons at the end of Airport?

Yeah one demon is fine, it's just that walking while having summoned demons drains your M. I don't remember what level I was at the airport, but I think it was around 13-14ish. If Nemissa is dying easily, then have a healing demon summoned and grind for M. Use the M to transfer into money and then Use the dough to buy some better armor.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sora278

Level 14 at the end?  My equipment must REALLY suck then because I am over level 20.

Naoto17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Naoto17
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I want it but need to finish Devil Survivor 2 first
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bubble_Man

The insta-death moves are still as annoying as ever. -_-

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#34 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

(Random opening thoughts of this game :shock: )

This game is pretty cool.  I don't know how I missed the series as a whole.

I only started playing the SMT series with Strange Journey, and there are enough differences in play/story to make it a new game.  I miss the bigger portraits of the demons though, the art is really amazing.

I agree about the "M" counts, just tonight I recognized that summoning took it away.  It's hard enough when you have to trade it to get new gear.  Yet I bet the process will taper off once the game progresses.  I'm gonna levelup a moment and get some M-cash next.

I /love/ the voices, some of the tones/voices they put in here are really imaginative.

The story is solid so far, with a varied cast of characters that should develop well.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 logicalfrank

I just started yesterday too. I knew it was a port of an older game but I am really surprised by how little in-game instruction there is. I am about an hour or so in and am really liking the overal tone and feel of the graphics and music but can't say much more w/o digging in further.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lamprey263
Can someone tell me what the deal is with Play-Coins, do you earn them by playing, or is the Nemechi strictly a Street Pass feature you need to cross other people playing to earn Play-Coins? Or does Nemechi just give you D-Souls but you can still earn Play Coins to exchange for D-Souls, but you can earn additional D-Souls with Street Pass? Oh, I figured it out, Play Coins are earned by walking around with your DS, get one play coin for every 100 steps taken, limit to 10 a day, well beats street pass I doubt I'll encounter another soul playing this, sucks there's a play coin limit of only 10 though.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 logicalfrank

[QUOTE="Sora278"]

lamprey263

There is a little bit of grinding on the Demons in the form of building their loyalty. They won't follow commands that don't fit their type until you build up their loyalty to you. That is pretty minor though since they are usually best at doing whatever suits their personality type anyway. And there is fusion, by the way...

In any case, I feel like I'm really starting to get into the meat of this game and I'm really getting sucked into to its old school gameply. You have to do a bit of work to figure out just how everything works but once you get going it feels pretty natural. Even for a 5th generation title it's got kind of a minimal presentation but to me that just kind of strips it down to the essentials. (I have no interest in watching complicated combat animations for turn-based battles. Just let me see the outcome of what I decided to do, thank you very much.) I also really, really enjoy the sci-fi/horror hybrid setting and some sections have incredible music.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that this is my first SMT game and I'll definitely be checking out more. I love that you can get passed/recruit enemeies rather than simply having to either fight or run away from all  of them.