Seems that Ubisoft considers Wii-U version of Watch Dogs "Next-Gen"

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

Well it isn't necessarily a confirmation, but Ubisoft says they are developing it on high end PC's and next gen, and after the team is gonna look and see how fits for the older generation here. 

http://www.gamercenteronline.net/2013/02/26/ubisoft-development-ps3360-version-watch-dogs-hasnt-started-yet/

They also said that the game is already up and running on the Wii-U and they are looking to see how they can use the gamepad. 

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1823841/wii_u_watch_dogs_already_running_ubisoft.html

There are several good things you can take from this. First of all, the Wii-U version is being ported right from the high end PC version, as they haven't started development on the current gen version of the game. Also Ubisoft has already got it running on the Wii-U, meaning that the Wii-U can handle next gen engines without too much troubles. I am very excited for this game and think I will end up buying it for the Wii-U. I will have to see more, but I'm glad to see the Wii-U version of the game is being considered a next gen version, rather a port of the current gen version. Hopefully this will push the Wii-U and I'm curious to see how the gamepad will enhance the game. Although the delay for Rayman is pretty ridiculous, I'm glad Ubisoft is taking the Wii-U seriously. Hopefully the rumours that Rainbox 6 and Splinter Cell Blacklist are coming to the Wii-U are true. I saw Splinter Cell Blacklist for Wii-U being available for pre-order on an online futureshop/best buy site, so fingers crossed. 

Anyways developers of Need for Speed U have also released screen comparisons of the Wii-U version vs the Xbox 360 version. The graphical difference is very noticeable. I think this is proof the Wii-U is a lot more powerful then we think. Its surely not a PS4, but I think it should be able to run everything next gen. The Wii often couldn't run engines like the Unreal Engine 3 or Capcom's MT Framework which meant a lot of developers wouldn't bother porting games since they would have to create entirely new engines. Luckily the Wii-U already is confirmed to be able to run Unreal Engine 4, Cry Engine 3, Ubisoft's new engine used for Watch Dogs and the new Frostbite Engine. This hopefully will translate to more third party releases on the Wii-U, even if the graphics are scaled, the process of porting should be a lot easier for next gen developers. 

Here are the screens for Need for Speed U vs the 360 version.

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/03/need-for-speed-mosted-wanted-u-is-graphically-superior-than-current-consoles/

BombingSystems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BombingSystems
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

All of these big titles, I don't see the Wii U having any problems. Thx for the info.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Hopefully it's not as buggy a port as Assassin's Creed III. I hope this can sell.
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Wii U is next gen why must people still claim its not. My freaking god. Its still in its launch window. Nothing OMFG AMAZING will ever be out in a consoles launch/launch window. Every time a new system comes out its better then the last aka next gen. You dont wait 7 years to make a weaker system. Wii U is now CURRENT GEN. Xbox 360 and PS3 are now LAST GEN. We are in the 8tn gen now.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts

Wii U is next gen why must people still claim its not. My freaking god. Its still in its launch window. Nothing OMFG AMAZING will ever be out in a consoles launch/launch window. Every time a new system comes out its better then the last aka next gen. You dont wait 7 years to make a weaker system. Wii U is now CURRENT GEN. Xbox 360 and PS3 are now LAST GEN. We are in the 8tn gen now.

Master_Of_Fools
Nobody is arguing that it isn't next gen. It is to the PS4/720 what the Wii was to the PS3/360. Great console, essentially a wee bit more powerful than last gen consoles, but has inferior multiplat games.
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

Wii U is next gen why must people still claim its not.

Master_Of_Fools

To get a reaction out of people, it's as simple as that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Hopefully it's not as buggy a port as Assassin's Creed III. I hope this can sell.OreoMilkshake
PS3 version of AC3 was buggy as hell also, so it might just be the game being normal like that.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The Wii U will get titles like this early in the lifespan of the other consoles.

It doesn't have the horsepower to run games once this generation gets started.

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

The Wii U will get titles like this early in the lifespan of the other consoles.

Jaysonguy
That didn't stop the Wii from getting good third party support throught the last generation. I don't know about you guys, but most of my Wii game are third-party.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
Hopefully it's not as buggy a port as Assassin's Creed III. I hope this can sell.OreoMilkshake
I found my 1st major bug in AC3. I had to chase some dude who had a piece of map around some abandoned ships which you have option to kill 3 people while running. Problem is that when chasing him the camera messes up when you get to the 2 men and the person closes the hatchet.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

lancea34

That didn't stop the Wii from getting good third party support throught the last generation. I don't know about you guys, but most of my Wii game are third-party.

Third party support was pathetic

Most multiplats were downright embarrassing

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
[QUOTE="Mochyc"] Nobody is arguing that it isn't next gen. It is to the PS4/720 what the Wii was to the PS3/360. Great console, essentially a wee bit more powerful than last gen consoles, but has inferior multiplat games.

I haven't really been following the PS4 news that closely, but from what I've seen, the gap between the Wii U and it is certainly not like the gap between the Wii and 360.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dobzilian

[QUOTE="lancea34"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Says the person who doesnt know what he is on about the best part of the time. I remember you bashing Batman AC saying its close to unplayable when i own the game, finished it and not experience the so called constant frame rate issues... Yes once or twice but i experienced those upon the 360 Version of AA and experienced it on AC on PS3. Its downright embarrassing that you spout s much nonsense.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

I remember you bashing Batman AC saying its close to unplayable when i own the game, finished it and not experience the so called constant frame rate issues... Yes once or twice but i experienced those upon the 360 Version of AA and experienced it on AC on PS3. Its downright embarrassing that you spout s much nonsense.dobzilian

Good lie

When you're able to say something that's true let me know.

It's funny how you call every single review site plus the makers of the game liars about the slowdown.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FPS1337

Master_Of_Fools
Everyone knows the Wii-U is technically "next gen", but some developers don't see it like that and would rather just port from the 360 and PS3 versions to the Wii-U version. Its good to see developers are trying to make the most of the Wii-U and running the next gen version on the Wii-U and it won't be just a cheap port of the 360 and PS3 version. I expect the Wii-U version of Watch Dogs to impress.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FPS1337

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]I remember you bashing Batman AC saying its close to unplayable when i own the game, finished it and not experience the so called constant frame rate issues... Yes once or twice but i experienced those upon the 360 Version of AA and experienced it on AC on PS3. Its downright embarrassing that you spout s much nonsense.Jaysonguy

Good lie

When you're able to say something that's true let me know.

It's funny how you call every single review site plus the makers of the game liars about the slowdown.

Batman Arkham City Armored Edition does have a lower framerate. Assassins Creed 3 on the PS3 had the same bug issues that it did on the Wii-U. The only reason these problems existed is that the Wii-U is built differently then other consoles, also these were launch games and the development time was really short. The fact the Wii-U can already run the current gen's top graphical games with a very small development time is pretty good. The Wii-U uses a lower clocked, but much more efficient and newer CPU. Once developers start getting use to developing for Wii-U, the Wii-U will clearly seperate itself from teh 360 and PS3. Need for Speed Most Wanted U is essentially equivalent to the PC version. It has very clear differences between the 360 and PS3 version. Also since Watch Dogs next gen engine is already up and running on the Wii-U, that's fairly impressive. I think Retro's game will truly push the system to the max.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dobzilian

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]I remember you bashing Batman AC saying its close to unplayable when i own the game, finished it and not experience the so called constant frame rate issues... Yes once or twice but i experienced those upon the 360 Version of AA and experienced it on AC on PS3. Its downright embarrassing that you spout s much nonsense.Jaysonguy
Good lieWhen you're able to say something that's true let me know.It's funny how you call every single review site plus the makers of the game liars about the slowdown.

Have you 1st hand experienced the issues to comment upon them? Ohhh you havent while i own the game so who's comments carry more weight in this argument...

Let me know when you start actually playing games to comment on them rather than reading things on the web. I never said it never had some frame rate issues but it doesnt have the constant issues which you try to make out. As per usual your sad little self attempts to blow things out of proportion.

Kinda pathetic really. Now that isnt a lie.

Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

Says the person who doesnt know what he is on about the best part of the time. I remember you bashing Batman AC saying its close to unplayable when i own the game, finished it and not experience the so called constant frame rate issues... Yes once or twice but i experienced those upon the 360 Version of AA and experienced it on AC on PS3. Its downright embarrassing that you spout s much nonsense.dobzilian

I haven't experienced any issue with the Wii U version of Batman either. The only parts it has stuttered in were the cutscenes. Many on Miiverse and other forums too are baffled by these claims of framerate issues. I'll bet these naysayers only ever gave the Wii U ports ten minutes while the console was downloading the massive update.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master_Of_Fools

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]

Mochyc

Nobody is arguing that it isn't next gen. It is to the PS4/720 what the Wii was to the PS3/360. Great console, essentially a wee bit more powerful than last gen consoles, but has inferior multiplat games.

Wii U getting inferior multiplats...is that so? Need For Speed Most Wanted U is the best console version. If you honestly think the PS4/720 will be a big leap over Wii U like the Wii was to the PS3/360 then you sir are a moron. Wii U runs Unreal Engine 4 so unless PS4 and the Xbox 720 can run Unreal Engine 5 when it comes out then you have no evidence. Yes PS4 and Xbox 720 will be slighty more powerful since they have a years new tech in them. But multiplats will all be roughly the same on all 8th gen systems.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Of_Fools

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]Wii U is next gen why must people still claim its not. My freaking god. Its still in its launch window. Nothing OMFG AMAZING will ever be out in a consoles launch/launch window. Every time a new system comes out its better then the last aka next gen. You dont wait 7 years to make a weaker system. Wii U is now CURRENT GEN. Xbox 360 and PS3 are now LAST GEN. We are in the 8tn gen now.FPS1337
Everyone knows the Wii-U is technically "next gen", but some developers don't see it like that and would rather just port from the 360 and PS3 versions to the Wii-U version. Its good to see developers are trying to make the most of the Wii-U and running the next gen version on the Wii-U and it won't be just a cheap port of the 360 and PS3 version. I expect the Wii-U version of Watch Dogs to impress.

The Wii U is basically a test for devs. If they want to take the test meaning actually try working with it they all end up loving it. Problem is alot of devs (EA) are so damn lazy they dont want to learn to program for a new system however they will be forced to when the PS4 and 720 come out lol. Basically the Wii U will reveal the lazy, sad, pathetic devs as well as the good devs who are willing to go the extra step.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Master_Of_Fools

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="dobzilian"]I remember you bashing Batman AC saying its close to unplayable when i own the game, finished it and not experience the so called constant frame rate issues... Yes once or twice but i experienced those upon the 360 Version of AA and experienced it on AC on PS3. Its downright embarrassing that you spout s much nonsense.FPS1337
Good lieWhen you're able to say something that's true let me know.It's funny how you call every single review site plus the makers of the game liars about the slowdown.

Batman Arkham City Armored Edition does have a lower framerate. Assassins Creed 3 on the PS3 had the same bug issues that it did on the Wii-U. The only reason these problems existed is that the Wii-U is built differently then other consoles, also these were launch games and the development time was really short. The fact the Wii-U can already run the current gen's top graphical games with a very small development time is pretty good. The Wii-U uses a lower clocked, but much more efficient and newer CPU. Once developers start getting use to developing for Wii-U, the Wii-U will clearly seperate itself from teh 360 and PS3. Need for Speed Most Wanted U is essentially equivalent to the PC version. It has very clear differences between the 360 and PS3 version. Also since Watch Dogs next gen engine is already up and running on the Wii-U, that's fairly impressive. I think Retro's game will truly push the system to the max.

Retros game wont push the Wii U to its limits, it will definitely show of most of the Wii Us power but it will take a 2 years before Wii U's true power is revealed. Zelda HD will show its true power. Unless Retro did indeed make their own Wii U game engine and their game uses it lol...then we could see a huge leap.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
Of course they'd say that, they are perhaps the biggest suppoters then the Wii U... at launch I felt supported it more then Nintendo themselves did!. Watch Dogs Wii U being "next gen" could mean anything.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Of course they'd say that, they are perhaps the biggest suppoters then the Wii U... at launch I felt supported it more then Nintendo themselves did!. Watch Dogs Wii U being "next gen" could mean anything.simomate
I doubt Watch Dogs is next gen game, its meant for 360 & PS3. So pretty much just tweak up visuals. higher res & texture & resolution, better lighting. PS4 version will probably run at 1080p native @ 60fps?..proper next gen will take a year or 2 to show up after the console is release.

Saying that, let this game be good!. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Wiiu doesn't have enough new game design to be next gen. It's next gen games are 10 year old games like Windwake--wtf, srsly?
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 superbuuman

Wiiu doesn't have enough new game design to be next gen. It's next gen games are 10 year old games like Windwake--wtf, srsly?Heirren
lol that's just Nintendo's quick & lazy way of releasing a game to tide you over since they screwed up & can't release Zelda U by 2014...like OCT 3D for 3DS. They spent too much time on fake google holiday. :P

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Wiiu doesn't have enough new game design to be next gen. It's next gen games are 10 year old games like Windwake--wtf, srsly?Heirren
I like how one game defines an entire future for a console. Bravo.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Jaysonguy

I'm not entirely sure about that. The CPU may look weak, but it is most likely stronger then the CPU's in the current gen consoles. The GPU has a couple of unknown parts that may make the console stronger than it is.The Ram speed is a bottleneck, but I think if devs are able to program for the console efficiently they may be able to get around that.The ram speed on the WiiU won't be as fast as the speed of the ram on thenext gen consoles.We also have the gamecube like design in terms of efficiency.This may extend to the power of the console.The only problem with the WiiU is the amount of ram that it has dedicated to games.If a dev is able to code ot the metal for the console and understand the bottlenecks and strengths of the console the console will be at least 2X stronger than the current gen consoles.I'm just guessing from what I read about the hardware in the console.We also have to remember that the console is running things on two screens at once.I don;t want this thread ot turn into a SW thread anyway.Also you have to factor in the law of diminishing returns when you are comparing the other next gen consoles to the WiiU and how they are not more than 15X stronger than their predecessors.The WiiU won;t have demanding games run at a resolution above 720P anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Wiiu doesn't have enough new game design to be next gen. It's next gen games are 10 year old games like Windwake--wtf, srsly?superbuuman

lol that's just Nintendo's quick & lazy way of releasing a game to tide you over since they screwed up & can't release Zelda U by 2014...like OCT 3D for 3DS. They spent too much time on fake google holiday. :P

I'm just saying the console has more in common with the current generation, at least at this point in time. It isn't really getting anything groundbreaking.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FPS1337

[QUOTE="simomate"]Of course they'd say that, they are perhaps the biggest suppoters then the Wii U... at launch I felt supported it more then Nintendo themselves did!. Watch Dogs Wii U being "next gen" could mean anything.superbuuman

I doubt Watch Dogs is next gen game, its meant for 360 & PS3. So pretty much just tweak up visuals. higher res & texture & resolution, better lighting. PS4 version will probably run at 1080p native @ 60fps?..proper next gen will take a year or 2 to show up after the console is release.

Uhh you can't be serious? The article explains how development on the older generation hasn't even started yet and the game is mainly being developed and focused on next gen consoles and high end PC's. If you've seen the PS4 demo you could tell that its something the 360 and PS3 can't handle. Also its using a brand new engine, not the Assassins Creed Engine that Ubisoft has being using mostly for the current gen.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FPS1337
[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Wiiu doesn't have enough new game design to be next gen. It's next gen games are 10 year old games like Windwake--wtf, srsly?Heirren

I'm just saying the console has more in common with the current generation, at least at this point in time. It isn't really getting anything groundbreaking.

Really, so the controller isn't new? The Wii-U brings new social networking with Mii-Verse, and by having the gamepad. wii-mote and regular controllers compatible, their are so many new things you can do with the console. What's ground breaking about the 360 over the Xbox? It essentially had better online marketplace and better graphics. It didn't really change how we played games outside of making online multi-player more popular. If your saying that's more ground breaking then the Wii-U is to the Wii then your completely wrong.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 superbuuman

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

[QUOTE="simomate"]Of course they'd say that, they are perhaps the biggest suppoters then the Wii U... at launch I felt supported it more then Nintendo themselves did!. Watch Dogs Wii U being "next gen" could mean anything.FPS1337

Uhh you can't be serious? The article explains how development on the older generation hasn't even started yet and the game is mainly being developed and focused on next gen consoles and high end PC's. If you've seen the PS4 demo you could tell that its something the 360 and PS3 can't handle. Also its using a brand new engine, not the Assassins Creed Engine that Ubisoft has being using mostly for the current gen.

I'll wait to see the game itself (on consoles & not high end PC) more before listening to company hype. ;)

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I'm intrigued. Watch dogs seems like a game that could use a bunch of gamepad features... plus there's the graphical enhancements that are potentially significant if they are serious about exploiting the hardware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="superbuuman"] lol that's just Nintendo's quick & lazy way of releasing a game to tide you over since they screwed up & can't release Zelda U by 2014...like OCT 3D for 3DS. They spent too much time on fake google holiday. :PFPS1337

Really, so the controller isn't new? The Wii-U brings new social networking with Mii-Verse, and by having the gamepad. wii-mote and regular controllers compatible, their are so many new things you can do with the console. What's ground breaking about the 360 over the Xbox? It essentially had better online marketplace and better graphics. It didn't really change how we played games outside of making online multi-player more popular. If your saying that's more ground breaking then the Wii-U is to the Wii then your completely wrong.

I hear where you are coming from and agree with in ways--I own a wiiu, btw. However one game that really utilizes the controller doesn't make the cut for me, at least not this long after release. The concept has to be adopted and it's looking as so 3rd parties aren't doing so. The Xbox and ps3 were more of an evolution in game design.
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mochyc

[QUOTE="Mochyc"][QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]

Master_Of_Fools

Wii U getting inferior multiplats...is that so? Need For Speed Most Wanted U is the best console version. If you honestly think the PS4/720 will be a big leap over Wii U like the Wii was to the PS3/360 then you sir are a moron. Wii U runs Unreal Engine 4 so unless PS4 and the Xbox 720 can run Unreal Engine 5 when it comes out then you have no evidence. Yes PS4 and Xbox 720 will be slighty more powerful since they have a years new tech in them. But multiplats will all be roughly the same on all 8th gen systems.

I'm going to have to ask to not insult me. I'm not bashing the Wii U. For Need for Speed, you are comparing a next gen game to a current gen one. Since the PS4 and 720 will be more powerful (hence has better graphics/ ai / more things on screen, it is only logical that (everything else held constant) they have the better versions. There is a very significant difference between the PS4 and Wii U, albeit not as much as the PS3 and Wii. However, significant enough for the PS4 version to be deemed superior. I'm not saying the PS4 is better than the Wii U. Frankly, I don't care. In fact, I'll probably buy both. I'm not a fanboy, and I really don't care what you think about any console.
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mochyc
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="Mochyc"] Nobody is arguing that it isn't next gen. It is to the PS4/720 what the Wii was to the PS3/360. Great console, essentially a wee bit more powerful than last gen consoles, but has inferior multiplat games.

I haven't really been following the PS4 news that closely, but from what I've seen, the gap between the Wii U and it is certainly not like the gap between the Wii and 360.

I agree, it's definitely not as big. I think what really separated the PS3/360 and Wii was the HD.
00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts
All versions of AC3 were horribly buggy.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FPS1337
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="FPS1337"][QUOTE="Heirren"] I'm just saying the console has more in common with the current generation, at least at this point in time. It isn't really getting anything groundbreaking.

I hear where you are coming from and agree with in ways--I own a wiiu, btw. However one game that really utilizes the controller doesn't make the cut for me, at least not this long after release. The concept has to be adopted and it's looking as so 3rd parties aren't doing so. The Xbox and ps3 were more of an evolution in game design.

I guess the gamepad hasn't been revolutionary yet, but I don't blame think that means the console isn't groundbreaking, just developers haven't quite gotten anything more then ports on it. Zombi U and Nintendo Land make great use of the gamepad. Outside of that its mostly maps, playing without a TV, or inventory. I think once the developers get more into next gen we'll see less tacked on gamepad stuff and more in depth stuff to really make the gameplay experience entirely different. For ports I imagine this is harder because you want to make the experience similar on every console, but I think developers could figure out unique ways to do things. Watch Dogs will be very interesting. Anyways I do think the Wii-U and gamepad itself makes it next gen, and it is much different then the Xbox 360 and PS3, but you are right that we haven't seen many groundbreaking games.
Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="Mochyc"] Nobody is arguing that it isn't next gen. It is to the PS4/720 what the Wii was to the PS3/360. Great console, essentially a wee bit more powerful than last gen consoles, but has inferior multiplat games. Mochyc

I agree, it's definitely not as big. I think what really separated the PS3/360 and Wii was the HD.

Not quite.

Some game enignes couldn't run on Wii like Capcoms MT Framework engine that powered Dead Rising.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FPS1337

[QUOTE="Mochyc"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"] I haven't really been following the PS4 news that closely, but from what I've seen, the gap between the Wii U and it is certainly not like the gap between the Wii and 360.Ganados0

Not quite.

Some game enignes couldn't run on Wii like Capcoms MT Framework engine that powered Dead Rising.

Yes, a lot of games didn't come to the Wii-U because the engines couldn't even run on the Wii-U. For example, the Unreal Engine 3 couldn't run on Wii. Capcom said they would have made RE5, RE6 and Street Fighter IV for Wii, but it couldn't handle the engine, they even considered making a brand new engine for Wii. The only real big current gen engine running on the Wii was the Call of Duty engine, and that was why when the engine was ported to the Wii it got a Call of Duty game every year. I do expect the Wii-U to get a lot more games to run on it since it can run essentially all the next gen engines that we know of so far.
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mochyc

[QUOTE="Mochyc"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"] I haven't really been following the PS4 news that closely, but from what I've seen, the gap between the Wii U and it is certainly not like the gap between the Wii and 360.Ganados0

Not quite.

Probably should have added "to me" :). Never bought any multiplats on Wii, so the rest didn't matter to me.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="FPS1337"] Really, so the controller isn't new? The Wii-U brings new social networking with Mii-Verse, and by having the gamepad. wii-mote and regular controllers compatible, their are so many new things you can do with the console. What's ground breaking about the 360 over the Xbox? It essentially had better online marketplace and better graphics. It didn't really change how we played games outside of making online multi-player more popular. If your saying that's more ground breaking then the Wii-U is to the Wii then your completely wrong.FPS1337

I guess the gamepad hasn't been revolutionary yet, but I don't blame think that means the console isn't groundbreaking, just developers haven't quite gotten anything more then ports on it. Zombi U and Nintendo Land make great use of the gamepad. Outside of that its mostly maps, playing without a TV, or inventory. I think once the developers get more into next gen we'll see less tacked on gamepad stuff and more in depth stuff to really make the gameplay experience entirely different. For ports I imagine this is harder because you want to make the experience similar on every console, but I think developers could figure out unique ways to do things. Watch Dogs will be very interesting. Anyways I do think the Wii-U and gamepad itself makes it next gen, and it is much different then the Xbox 360 and PS3, but you are right that we haven't seen many groundbreaking games.

The U pad has the potential to revolutionize gameplay. NintendoLand demonstrated that very well, but then again, Wiisports did the same with the Wiimote and we didn't get a real implementation until Skyward Sword at the end of 2011. But with the U pad, there's much more than just gameplay. Dual screen co-op in Black Ops, 5 player racing in Sonic Transformed, asymmetrical gameplay options in Mario U, off-screen play. Those are some of the reasons I love the WiiU. It has capabilities that other consoles don't have that don't necessarily relate to gameplay.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="FPS1337"][QUOTE="superbuuman"] I doubt Watch Dogs is next gen game, its meant for 360 & PS3. So pretty much just tweak up visuals. higher res & texture & resolution, better lighting. PS4 version will probably run at 1080p native @ 60fps?..proper next gen will take a year or 2 to show up after the console is release.

superbuuman

I'll wait to see the game itself (on consoles & not high end PC) more before listening to company hype. ;)

Furthermore, I'd wait for the game to actually come out. Just because a game looks good now, doesn't mean it will be so great when it comes out.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#44 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
Thanks for the info. Excellent article. NFS is already in my wish list and now, Watch_Dogs is in my follow up list :D Regards!
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#45 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

Jaysonguy
Don't you know there is already a PS3/4 forum? Go there and be happy with all that raw and brute processing power you want to be happy!
Blaz3_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Blaz3_fox
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

All of these big titles, I don't see the Wii U having any problems. Thx for the info.

BombingSystems
This. And, keep in mind, a lot of the graphics we've seen from the Wii U are from ported games or launch titles which never reach their maximum potential for the console. This is great news, developers really shouldn't have any excuses to not develop for the Wii U now, and it should be seen as laziness on their part for not bringing games to it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="BombingSystems"]

Blaz3_fox

This. And, keep in mind, a lot of the graphics we've seen from the Wii U are from ported games or launch titles which never reach their maximum potential for the console. This is great news, developers really shouldn't have any excuses to not develop for the Wii U now, and it should be seen as laziness on their part for not bringing games to it.

You're clueless

Let me make it easy for you

You're going to be paid 100 dollars no matter what ok?

Now to make a game on one of the "other" platforms it takes 100 hours of work

On the Wii U it takes 150 hours of work

Which one would you pick?

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

[QUOTE="Blaz3_fox"][QUOTE="BombingSystems"]

Jaysonguy

You're clueless

Let me make it easy for you

You're going to be paid 100 dollars no matter what ok?

Now to make a game on one of the "other" platforms it takes 100 hours of work

On the Wii U it takes 150 hours of work

Which one would you pick?

I don't think that's a fair scenario. That extra 150 hours (or did you mean an extra 50 hours on top of the original 100?) could be worth it depending on software sales. These developers do get paid X amount at first, but Ubisoft makes the calls and if 150 hours of extra work net $30 million more revenue on a cheap port than its totally worth it business-wise. Ubisoft has already said Zombi U (an original game in production since 2010) and Rayman Legends are costing them a few million dollars (talk about good budget managing!) so even if Watch Dogs can only manage to sell 500k copies it will net them $30 million plus. I highly doubt that if two original Wii U games built for the system ground up cost a few million dollars that they wouldn't be happy with $30 million or so from WD on Wii U I think the Wii U version could do fairly well especially if the 360/PS3 versions aren't releasing this year like this statement indicates. You'd have PC, PS4 (which will have at most 1 milllion players) and the Wii U (Which could have 5 million to 8 million players depending on how Nintendo turns this around) as the platforms its coming this year on.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="lancea34"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Wii suffered from a lack of Western third party support, but got great Japanese third party support.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Wii suffered from a lack of Western third party support, but got great Japanese third party support.Bigboi500
I have a feeling the Wii U will be similar, except this time I hope Nintendo does try to release more Japanese titles world wide. I'd be down for SMT x Fire Emblem.