Secret gems of the DS system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chopinist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Chopinist
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

We all know the overly-hyped games, usually made by the top gaming companies and so on and so forth, but in every system, there are those games that aren't well known, maybe not even well rated, yet are truly one of the best games the system can offer

Do you know any such game for the DS? a game that is not overly hyped and not part of the top ten list of nearly ever list....i mean go search the top ten list of DS games and they are all the same practically.....

any suggestions?

GamingKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 GamingKidX
Member since 2010 • 329 Posts

Hotel Dusk : Room 215. You gotta try that, it really sucks you in.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

One game I find people constantly gloss over is "WarHammer 40,000 - Squad Command".

Though it's on both handhelds, so it's not exclusive, I love the game. You have a set of six units which vary in composition from mission to mission, from average foot soldiers to vehicles and mighty dreadnought cyborgs, and each level has different objectives from capture and hold to seek and destroy, to just simply make it across the map alive... it's a turn-based strategy game with fully destructible environments, and graphics and control interface are very intuitive. The load-outs for each mission are customizable which adds to the apeal, because you can attack a map from a variety of ways, from sniper rifles and chain swords to missle launchers and shotguns... you play it the way your style dictates. A really great game and it's never talked about.

Try it.

stEElyDaN909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 stEElyDaN909
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 and the World Ends with You if you like RPGs.
fgghjjkll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fgghjjkll
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I would seriously give the Luminous Arc series a try. Very good strategy rpgs
world-ender-49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 343

#6 world-ender-49
Member since 2009 • 9302 Posts
A game that many people over looked is clash of heros but its an amazing game for both single and multiplayer.
the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_wet_mop
Member since 2006 • 7518 Posts

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 and the World Ends with You if you like RPGs.stEElyDaN909

while i love both of these games, TWEWY is one of the most hyped and talked about games for the system, i wouldn't exactly call it a secret gem.

ninja town, however, fits perfectly. I thought it would be terrible, and never even considered purchasing it. My brother picked it up though, and it's actually a very well done tower defense-esque game. It's well balanced, never takes itself seriously, and is consquently alot of fun to play.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

Normally, I would say the Fire Emblem series is totally underrated. But I won't, since the Fire Emblem game for the DS sucks.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16903 Posts
moon was a pretty kewl fps...great fun.
SuperfastSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10 SuperfastSonic
Member since 2008 • 12114 Posts
Zoo Keeper and Bomberman DS.
green_panda9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 green_panda9
Member since 2008 • 396 Posts
Dragon Quest Rocket Slime is a great game to try. And if you like rhythm games Kira Kira Pop Princess is a great game as well. :)
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts
Lunar Knights
Dragard_Kaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#13 Dragard_Kaos
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts
Lunar Knightsfelipebo
YES! Also, Suikoden Tierkreis. It's underrated because of the main series reputation... Also, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Lost Magic and Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ston3henge

I almost picked up "Lunar Knights" the other day, what's it like? Gameplay elements and style? I know it doesn't have the solar sensor but is there a gimmick? Is it more an action title or a traditional RPG?

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Sideswiped for the DS. Its only available online. I'm a gettin' it!

HerGuitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HerGuitar
Member since 2010 • 308 Posts
Definately the Phoenix Wright series and Hotel Dusk. There's also a sequel for Hotel Dusk right now, but it's only in Japan.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

I almost picked up "Lunar Knights" the other day, what's it like? Gameplay elements and style? I know it doesn't have the solar sensor but is there a gimmick? Is it more an action title or a traditional RPG?

ston3henge

Take a good look at the cover, maybe you'll see something you'll recognize. A logo, perhaps. But yeah, it's pretty traditional, with no add-ons.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Feel the Magic. Game is all kinds of fun.

SUPA_GLUSTEE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SUPA_GLUSTEE
Member since 2008 • 958 Posts

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 and the World Ends with You if you like RPGs.stEElyDaN909

Hardly "secret"

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes. I wonder how this game has sold.
Icare0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Icare0
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

Hotel Dusk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c59fdd7b3aa7
Member since 2009 • 9489 Posts
I thought wario master of disguise was brilliant. Sue me :P
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ston3henge

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]

felipebo

Take a good look at the cover, maybe you'll see something you'll recognize. A logo, perhaps. But yeah, it's pretty traditional, with no add-ons.

It was used in a generic case, so I couldn't even read the back cover at the time... but I will investigate past the reviews... I know it's a game from the Boktai series creator...

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts
The Lost in Blue series was interesting as one of those 'escape the place' strategy/puzzleish stories and RPGs though if you already played the first one for the DS, the other ones can get repetitive. Luminous Arc is awesome and funny so I second that suggestion. The gameplay is solid and the graphics are great. I haven't played it as much as my siblings have, but what I've played so far has been fun. Atlus in and of itself as a game company has published a lot of rock solid RPGs, but a lot of them have been more hardcore RPGer-friendly. I haven't had as much time to sit down and really play as much as I would like to so my in-depth experience is limited, but my kid sibling sure busts the clock when it comes to those games. With that said, Rondo of Swords and Etrian Odyssey. Yikes. Heroes of Mana is a good RPG game, too, and I personally liked it better than the Final Fantasy games that came out for the DS, though I suppose the FF games would be a good way to get the feet of RPG newbies wet as some of the other less popular RPGs are more involved in terms of gameplay and/or combat prepping. Geometry Wars! Played it on Xbox before and loved it. Got it for the DS and loved it. Great for a few stolen moments and it incorporates a bit of strategy into the 'aim-and-shoot' gameplay. It doesn't really make too much use of the touchscreen (I never find use for it as I use the control pad) but it's a fun game on the go. ... Okay, fine. I'll admit that I played Chocobo Tales. And it's... *gags* cute. It didn't get much promotion where I'm at and I didn't catch much of the hype that went around (if at all). Reminded me a little bit of the chocobo game that came packaged with FFVIII for the PC which is why I finally picked up a used copy. Fun little game. Rune Factory is a great Harvest Moon like game that gets TEDIOUS!