Retro Leaving Metroid A GOOD Thing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Now that Metroid is out of Retro's hands do you think Metroid can finally take another jump?

The Prime series started off with a bang but it took Nintendo's own intervention after Prime 2 to get Prime 3 going in the direction that Nintendo had envisioned the series. I think that the controls are perfect for the game and it looks very nice also. The only thing is that it hasn't changed much between 1 and 3 (except the direction of the story and cutting back on some of the elements of the game)

I think that Retro was working with a "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality that you normally see from games like Madden that come out each and every year. Since you please so many people with your first title when you do a follow up you don't want to change too many things and that means usually piling on things that don't belong in the original game (like backtracking so much in Prime 2) instead of adding new content you clutter the old content.

It's pretty clear that Retro heeded Nintendo's wishes in Prime 3 and got it back on the right track. So far all I've heard is that Prime 3 is not only the best game in the series because of the controls but it's the best game in the series because how the game elements are used. At the same time some people are saying that the series hasn't taken enough of a jump forward besides the controls but remember that motion controls are completely new for the FPS style genre. To make them perfect is enough this round in many people's eyes.

I think the next company that takes the reins of this franchise will have the leeway to make the kind of jump we'll see Mario take in Mario Galaxy. Retro seemed to be too timid with the Metroid series (so much Nintendo have to intervene) where I think a new dev wont be so guarded about what they do or don't do with Metroid.

Do you think the Metroid franchise is going to rise or decline in quality now that Retro is gone?

icarus212001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 icarus212001
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
Personally, I think that Retro leaving Metroid is not going to scath the quality of the Metroid series. Nintendo knows that Metroid is one of their most precious franchises and I think they'd be damned if they're going to allow the next development team screw it up. Super Metroid is regarded by many (if not 90% of the Metroid fanbase) as the greatest Metroid ever. I think its because it was made by an inhouse Nintendo team therefore allowing them as much time as they want to make a truly outstanding game. I think its because its "nintendo's baby" that they were able to "raise it" into what is now known as Super Metroid. The thing with Metroid Prime is that, while still an excellent and outstanding game (one of my favorites), it felt like it was being "babysat" by Retro until Nintendo came back home from work...so-to-speak. I think that as the Metroid series is now, things can only get better. Samus is a much more fleshed out character and people have grown much more attached to her (seeing as now everyone knows she is a she). Retro should continue to make a new franchise or at least another project not concerning Metroid because if they do it will garner, as you mentioned earlier, a psuedo-Madden effect in which it will continue to more of the same, to some extent. There's always Kid Icarus lol.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I can't agree or disagree because we have yet to see the jump. I suppose that whoever takes on the next Metroid project will have a base to build from and ensure it's better than ever. I don't expect a series to decline in quality. The only way that would happen is if they did the exact same thing over and over again....which is my opinion on Zelda as well.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
I disagree, I think things will be fine.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I think its a safe bet that the quality won't go down.. Nintendo won't let it happen.

I think the only thing that could harm the game game is to take a step backward and go back into a side scroller. Super Metroid was great way back when, the Prime series were really good, on par imo with Super Metroid. But this first person shooter Metroid I still think is the right way to go.

Maybe a 3rd person, 3d environment style Metroid maybe something different.

No matter what, Retro was solid all the way through. And I expect no less from the next Metroid. I think Nintendo realizes they have a winning game here. Quality won't be the issue, direction will be.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Has it even been confirmed that this is it for Retro and Metroid, I mean I know they said they were taking break, but since Metroid titles are so few and far between I think they will be on board for the next one. I mean they are owned by Nintendo, its not like they can just do whatever they want. Especially I think Nintendo wants to keep Metroid in house under a studio they own, the only two capable of Metroid is Retro obviously and Monolith.

Shinobisoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Shinobisoma
Member since 2005 • 936 Posts

Retro is'nt leaving the series forever. They are just going to work on a few other projects. Retro did great with Metroid. Their artist are awesome too btw :P

Anyways I think Retro may work on another Metroid title in the future. In like 6 years XP

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I don't know if there is much to add to the series as is. I mean, you have the exploration and level design and weapons and morph ball... and all those things are needed to make it a metroid game. So what's left, storyline? They can make the next metroid very epic if they wanted to, but as for gameplay mechanics, they will really have to come up with something uniquely interesting to make a huge difference.

Now on another quick note, after playing MP3 and seeing how she interacts with screens and locks, I really can't wait for the next Zelda game, which is supposed to be very interactive...

Bladefighter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bladefighter23
Member since 2005 • 1201 Posts
Retro did an awesome job with the Metroid series. I don't think Nintendo had a whole lot to do with it. I disagree with what you said about them following the Madden formula and not really changing the games. Echoes was a heck of a lot different from Prime and Corruption looks a lot different than Prime and Echoes. I doubt we'll see another 3-D Metroid for a while besides a possible Hunters 2. I think Nintendo will make one or two 2-D Metroids before the end of the DS's life time. Then on the next system Nintendo makes I expect Retro to do something completely new with the Metroid series.
TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Retro is finished with the Metroid Prime series. That doesn't mean they won't ever make another Metroid some day.
Ablasio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ablasio
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
Retro made a lot of change in the Metroid series with a fluid evolution, the first Prime was suppose to be the transfer from 2d to 3d and it was done perfectly, Prime 2 the light and dark world a la Link to the Past,Prime 3 also have a lot of new things, your spaceship, transfer from planets, hyper-mode.It isfar from the Madden series, I think Retro was the perfect team for the series. But even with another developper, the future is bright for Metroid.
Ponmop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Ponmop
Member since 2007 • 489 Posts
I wouldn't count on Retro being done with Metroid. They've said they'll take a break and work on something else for a while, but I fully expect that the next time Metroid hits a console, whether that's Wii or Nintendo's next console, Retro will be at the helm. I think that'll probably be a fairly long time from now, as Metroids historically don't come along that frequently. I'd bet on some handheld entries in the meantime, though.
Nuk1euz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nuk1euz
Member since 2003 • 236 Posts

Retro isnt going to sit down and do nothing. Its a company, it needs income to survive so im sure they will work on somethin else, and let MP3 lifespan take its course. In a year or 2, after Retro has created a couple of games (good ones i hope for their sake) they will come up with the new Metroid with more experience under their belt. Then again, i think Nintendo might wanna create the next one because i believe the next Metroid(s) will lead up to the Super Metroid 'episode'. The MP3 videos hint at the birth of Mother Brain (which is the last boss of Super Metroid.)

The Aurora Unit video for MP3 at the end shows the room where Samus fought Mother Brain in Super Metroid, except in XRay vision, and on top it says 'Cross Section of Future Aurora Complex'

XBASX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XBASX
Member since 2003 • 643 Posts
If Retro comes (and they should) back with aMetroid game,I hope they come with a bang.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Wow I'm shocked that the majority of people think that this is the top for Metroid and the franchise is only going to go downhill from here.

Very surprising.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

After playing in 1st person this long. I can't imagine anything else. So a lot of the mechanics are going to have similiar styles, but there needs to be a little bit new too. I really think that the Metroid world has fleshed out a lot since it's birth. We now have a timeline and a plot and there are recurrent characters and characters that lead into future installments.

I think the big step will be mostly story driven. We know very little about the fall of the Chozo (at last most of us) and we have a little bit of an insight on the extinction of metroids. Both of those are viable areas for a new game to latch onto and expound upon.

Eventually, though, there gets a point where the equipment expansion becomes a bit over the top. The powerbomb is a pretty good example. It was needed to travel, but wasn't tied to anything else really. It was necessary to have the first one so you could explore, but was usless otherwise.

Whoever makes the next Metroid will have to take a page out of MP3's book. Nothing seemed like it was completely useless (except for maybe the screw attack). Everything was a useful expansion that just happened to be used in exploration.

FLEEBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 FLEEBS
Member since 2006 • 1225 Posts

Retro never said they were never going to do another Metroid game. They said they wanted to do other projects and werenot going to work on another Metroid at this time.

That being said, I think Retro did and incredible job with the Prime series and have no serious complaints. They all are some of my favorite games of all time.

I think the Metroid franchise will continue to be consistently good whoever develops for it. As for the series making another significant jump, I'm sure it's possible in the future and will probably happen one way or another. I would be pretty happy with the current formula of both 2D and 3D renditions if nothing changed, though. That's not to say I am against progression, I just think the series works well how it is.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I dont think we'll get another metroid title until next gen. maybe something on the ds.

btw, I respect retro for what they did with echoes. they were trying to bring the game back to its roots. The original metroid series never really had beautiful environments and it basically had dark, deep mazes. By no means is echoes a bad game, it's just not a bright, fun game like MP1 was. It's also probably the most difficult game in the series

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
yeah, ive seen what they can do, id only want them back if nintendo made an actual HD system.. cause graphics is where retro really shines, so even though it was a good looking wii game, it still could have looked, sooo, SOO much better
Avatar image for Regginator14520
Regginator14520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Regginator14520
Member since 2006 • 1094 Posts

Nerdstradamus predictions

Microsoft will ditch Rare in 2008

Nintendo will bring Rare back in 2008

Retro may leave, Rare takes over

The golden age of the Wii will begin.

Will be seen by everyones eye.

This era will be demostrate perfection.

The multimedia one's will be left in the dark.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
They should make a 3d metroid that's in a 2d side on view, but has some sections in full 3d, that way you can get the best of both worlds.
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts

JasonGuy..... I Do disagree that MP2 and MP3 were basically cookie cutter's of MP1. They were part of a trilogy, and to be honest they changed up more with each additional installation then most trilogies ever do. Mp2 was not my fave but it was not more of the same, and MP3 certainly carries it's own wait, and in many ways trumps both. IMO. I don't think that Retro needed a Nintendo intervention....They are Nintendo. If you watched the making of video they stated that they never really feel like an outside developer and that even since MP1 Nintendo has had so much input and influence on the games that they basically feel like they might as well be Japanese developers based in Texas. With that said, I do feel Metroid being put in the hands of new artists is a good thing. If their is anything we gamers like to complain about is not enough change/innovation in our beloved franchises, and if their is a sure-fire way to bring new ideas to the table it is putting it in the hands of new artists/developers. I do agree with you their and welcome it. Who knows, Nin. might even go totally 1st party with the next one.

Thoughtful topic either way.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
Metroid needs to go back to it's roots. The prime series ruined Metroid for me.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Nerdstradamus predictions

Microsoft will ditch Rare in 2008

Nintendo will bring Rare back in 2008

Retro may leave, Rare takes over

The golden age of the Wii will begin.

Will be seen by everyones eye.

This era will be demostrate perfection.

The multimedia one's will be left in the dark.

Regginator14520

yea ut rare's making banjo kazooie for the 360.

Superman2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Superman2010
Member since 2006 • 182 Posts
I disagree
Ponmop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ponmop
Member since 2007 • 489 Posts

Metroid needs to go back to it's roots. The prime series ruined Metroid for me.nintendofreak_2

Sorry to hear that. I loved 'em.