Remember when Nintendo said the DS was NOT gonna be GBA's successor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nolan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 nolan-
Member since 2002 • 7050 Posts
And that there would be another handheld released to replace the GBA? So much for that eh?
Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

Maybe they ment the Micro. I still to this day have no idea what the point of that thing was. I've never even met anyone who actually bought one.

lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lewisg1212
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts

Maybe they ment the Micro. I still to this day have no idea what the point of that thing was. I've never even met anyone who actually bought one.

child_of_lileth
i play my micro more than my DS...
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Well, DS is a huge success, so why should the look back?
atlanta_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 atlanta_guy
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

GOD will you people just let the gameboy advanced and its games GO! That thing is yearsssssssssss old. Move on.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
The point was that the DS was meant to be another brand. The DS was a "3rd pillar" where they were going to take handheld gaming in a different direction. It's not a Game Boy, so in case the DS was a flop, they'd release a new Game Boy and continue that line. Right now, the DS is doing so well that there isn't much of a reason to keep something going on the Game Boy line.
nolan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nolan-
The point was that the DS was meant to be another brand. The DS was a "3rd pillar" where they were going to take handheld gaming in a different direction. It's not a Game Boy, so in case the DS was a flop, they'd release a new Game Boy and continue that line. Right now, the DS is doing so well that there isn't much of a reason to keep something going on the Game Boy line.MAILER_DAEMON
Pretty much. You have to wonder if they did have something in development though.
blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#8 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
Micros are too small! Some might even call it "Micro" sized! hahaha
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]The point was that the DS was meant to be another brand. The DS was a "3rd pillar" where they were going to take handheld gaming in a different direction. It's not a Game Boy, so in case the DS was a flop, they'd release a new Game Boy and continue that line. Right now, the DS is doing so well that there isn't much of a reason to keep something going on the Game Boy line.nolan-
Pretty much. You have to wonder if they did have something in development though.

They're always making something new... many things don't go into production though. The DS is doing so well that they probably shelved plans for the next Game Boy.
Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts
Remember when they released the GBC and said it wasn't a successor to the GB? Yeah, they ended up phasing out millions of GB owners and making loads of GBC-exclusive games for their handheld which was lik 2-4 times more powerful than the GB. I wonder if they're gonna do that with the DSi....?
JayDee3103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JayDee3103
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts

GOD will you people just let the gameboy advanced and its games GO! That thing is yearsssssssssss old. Move on.

atlanta_guy
LMAO... agreed. ds has plenty good games for you
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Remember when they released the GBC and said it wasn't a successor to the GB? Yeah, they ended up phasing out millions of GB owners and making loads of GBC-exclusive games for their handheld which was lik 2-4 times more powerful than the GB. I wonder if they're gonna do that with the DSi....?Quintinius
That would be lame. I spent $130 for my ds lite, and I don't want to spend more money for a dsi.
KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

child_of_lileth

The Micro was more of the GBA "Lite." I would love to own one, since great 2D games are so hard to find nowadays...

As other people have said, the DS is too successful to make another Game Boy. One system at a time.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

[QUOTE="child_of_lileth"]

lewisg1212

You crazy...

But I always wanted a Micro, but the price never dropped. It would be cool to have, anyway I don't have many GBA games. Nintendo always gets you everytime...

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
I think what they meant was, being a completely different design, it wasn't a direct successor to the GBA. It was still blantently going to succeed the GBA. The technical leap and alterations were too much to ignore. That and it was released early to compete alongside the PSP, so again it was always going to succeed the GBA as the primary handheld.
trx1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trx1961
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
would like to find a micro to try out
lewisg1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lewisg1212
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts

[QUOTE="lewisg1212"][QUOTE="child_of_lileth"]

awssk8er716

You crazy...

But I always wanted a Micro, but the price never dropped. It would be cool to have, anyway I don't have many GBA games. Nintendo always gets you everytime...

well the micro screen is about 10x better than that of the DS :) no joke. and i always thought the GBA games looked horrible on the DS and i just got a DSI so ive got the limited edition famicon version :) very sexual. anyway fire emblem, all pokemons, advance wars, golden sun, ff tactics, tactics ogre, mario mart, mario and luigi thats just the top of my head! i still think the game library is better :P
nolan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nolan-
Is the Micro now a collector's item?
Maledizione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Maledizione
Member since 2008 • 896 Posts

Micro is a waste of time and money. If we're talking about GBA right now, The SP is my favorite.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Nintendo and a lot of other companies for that matter say things that we should take with huge grains of salt. Nintendo also said to get used to the
GC controller several years back because they said they were sticking to that layout. We all know what happened there, although I'm grateful for that one. Never cared much for the GC controller.

nolan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nolan-

Micro is a waste of time and money. If we're talking about GBA right now, The SP is my favorite.

Maledizione
Yeah but they stopped production pretty soon after it was released, right? That'll make it rare one day. Unless I'm mistaken and they're still in production. Can't see a logical reason for that though.