Released too soon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

Was the Wii U released too soon? Should Nintendo have delayed it so that they could retweek things with it, then release it around the same time as Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze?

Maybe that would've been a better idea financially.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Maybe.  The same thing could have been said about the 3DS.  However if they didn't launch it until the fall then we would all just be sitting here with the Wii and no games for another really sad year.  At least we got a few Wii U games along with all the downloadable and VC games and Miiverse and time for Nintendo to realize what needs fixed.  Neither way would be great, but I think this way worked out a little better.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
No, games are being released too late. WiiU's early release gave it a huge advantage over the competition. If it had been able to develop a large install base by the time the other two were released, it would have been in a position to carry the entire generation.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
...too soon? More like too late (should have been released in the same gen as its technical competitors). TBH I just think the whole thing was a terrible idea. I mean imagine the price tag on it if it had the same specs as the upcoming systems...
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34598 Posts

The Wii-U launched with too few games. Either the games are released too late or the Wii-U itself too early. Pretty stupid to realease a console without games..

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Too early, the console itself had problems..slow arse glitchy OS & 1 time mega download speaks for itself, banking on 2 games at launch Nintendo Land & NSMBU is just plain dumb..should have held back to build bigger library. If they had held back till end of this yr..they would have had Pikmin 3, DK:TF, Zelda: WW HD added to the launch roster, not to mention 3rd party titles like injustice, Rayman etc..X, Bayonetta 2, MK8 & SSB wouldn't be such a long wait. Nintendo wasted their 1yr head start..should have focus on games rather than social crap miiverse, fake google holiday etc (2ndary).

Avatar image for Lord_of_Terrans
Lord_of_Terrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lord_of_Terrans
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts
I think we won't see many third party game until the other consoles release. Because game company prefer to go the multi-platform for more market. Anyway i'am more than happy with my WiiU, in fact i'am more than happy for FINALLY a NINTENDO console with HD and with NOT always motion controled gameplay. Does the WiiU released too soon, HELL NO.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

In a word, yes. While I'm sure there are those who will disagree with what I'm about to say, as they are enjoying the system, the Wii U could have definitely used at least another year in the proverbial oven in order to be the system it should be. Doing so could have fixed many of the problems the Wii U is facing now, from software lineup to Gamepad-related game concepts (or a better key feature altogether) to even the pricing structure of the system itself. For whatever reason Nintendo needed to get the system out last year, it clearly hasn't worked as planned. Now, the Wii U is a relatively new console that has already lost the "new kid on the block" feel to consumers and developers, and it's now sandwhiched between a large number of more successful/anticipated platforms come what will likely be a crucial holiday season.

The other argument would be the one Mr. Pachter likes to bring up every chance he gets nowadays, and that's the Wii U being released too late as an opposition to the PS3/Xbox 360. Given Nintendo's approach to the Wii U, it's not the worst argument, but I don't agree with it. The Wii, when supported was still a very relevant platform, even in recent years. I think releasing the Wii U/Wii HD earlier would have done more harm than good by hurting the Wii's presence on the market, since it's now obvious Nintendo wouldn't have been able to support both systems. On top of that, since the Wii U/Wii HD would have probably cost even more to produce and sell a few years back than it does now, whatever "edge" it would have received from that head start would have likely been counterbalanced by an even less appealing price tag. In other words, I think the Wii U would be in the same spot it's in now had it been released 2-3 years ago or more.

Back to my original point, the Wii U still feels like an unrefined concept. That's not to say the extra year would have certainly been the solution, but I'm almost sure it would have been an improvement in some significant way. Now, I can't help but feel Nintendo will constantly be on its heels, trying to find ways to keep the system afloat.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

The problem is it was released too late. The thing is like a year old and still has no even decent games on it. A lot of developers and publishers are now focused on the PS4 and Xbox one because even when the wii u launched there was already a lot of talk about the new systems.

Problem 2 is they also focused way too much on the tablet as its hay maker ignoring online service, 3rd party developer support, creating new games and so on. Even with all the tablet focus they still depended on it selling the system despite having a bad interface, horrible battery life and even the fact you cant do 2 point touch on it lowers it use.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

no it was fine...all consoles seem rushed at launch... its hard to get them going. 

look at the 360 RROD...ps3 no games...3ds no games...vita no games..wiiU no games... it happens to everyone....xbox one and ps4 will have similar problems.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Wii U sold 3.45 Million during the launch window period. November 18 2012- March 31st 2013. Then the Wii U has only managed to sell 490,000 since April 1st - Present day. The 2013 worldwise sales numbers are to people holding off until November 2013 for Xbox One and Playstation 4. Less then a half a million sales since the launch window passed.

The Wii U should have been released 1 year earlier than it did. In 2011 would have helped Nintendo. But today People are hold off until Playstation 4 or at least in U.S.A the Xbox One. The Wii U is only at 3.94 Million Worldwide install base. This Christmass season will be important for Nintendo. The big releases are coming Mario Kart U and Wii fit U in addition to MarioWorld 3D

Plus the long overdue Pikman 3. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze should round out the 5 first party Releases Nintendo is hope to sell Wii U systems.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 SKU's that are priced at $299.99 are really hurting Nintendo since that is the same price as a Wii U Basic set with only 8GB flash memory and not A proper HDD. While the PS3 & Xbox 360 comes with a 250GB HDD and a pack in game or sometimes 2. So when buying a console Nintendo is getting thrashed at retail. For the $299.99 offering. To make matters worse for only $50.00 more you can buy a Playstation 4. Instead of a Wii U deluxe set. Which even though it does come with a Pack in game and extra stands. The 32GB flash memory pales in comparision to a 500GB HDD.

Nintendo is best to Soldier on for no more than 5 years exactly with the Wii U before releasing a successor console. Next time Nintendo should think a bit more about the specs of it's next console after the Wii U. Future proof the next console somewhat. Wii U may yet have a huge must have hit. But not yet.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TransformerRobo

The Wii U sold 3.45 Million during the launch window period. November 18 2012- March 31st 2013. Then the Wii U has only managed to sell 490,000 since April 1st - Present day. The 2013 worldwise sales numbers are to people holding off until November 2013 for Xbox One and Playstation 4. Less then a half a million sales since the launch window passed.

The Wii U should have been released 1 year earlier than it did. In 2011 would have helped Nintendo. But today People are hold off until Playstation 4 or at least in U.S.A the Xbox One. The Wii U is only at 3.94 Million Worldwide install base. This Christmass season will be important for Nintendo. The big releases are coming Mario Kart U and Wii fit U in addition to MarioWorld 3D

Plus the long overdue Pikman 3. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze should round out the 5 first party Releases Nintendo is hope to sell Wii U systems.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 SKU's that are priced at $299.99 are really hurting Nintendo since that is the same price as a Wii U Basic set with only 8GB flash memory and not A proper HDD. While the PS3 & Xbox 360 comes with a 250GB HDD and a pack in game or sometimes 2. So when buying a console Nintendo is getting thrashed at retail. For the $299.99 offering. To make matters worse for only $50.00 more you can buy a Playstation 4. Instead of a Wii U deluxe set. Which even though it does come with a Pack in game and extra stands. The 32GB flash memory pales in comparision to a 500GB HDD.

Nintendo is best to Soldier on for no more than 5 years exactly with the Wii U before releasing a successor console. Next time Nintendo should think a bit more about the specs of it's next console after the Wii U. Future proof the next console somewhat. Wii U may yet have a huge must have hit. But not yet.

Megavideogamer

We just have to give them time to do so.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I already made a thread about why I thought it released too soon but at least this time they can fix things through firmware updates, at least on the software side. I believe they need to put out a WiiU Enhancement feature ala Expansion Pack.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
No, it'll be fine. It's good that the Wii U got released when it did so to see what everyone thinks of the Wii U, and where to improve. Besides, many gaming devices started out small at first & then work thier way up.
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TransformerRobo

I already made a thread about why I thought it released too soon but at least this time they can fix things through firmware updates, at least on the software side. I believe they need to put out a WiiU Enhancement feature ala Expansion Pack.nini200

Yes, that would be very helpful, but how would you get it onto your Wii U? Would it be downloadable from the eShop?

Also, Pikmin 3 has become a system seller in Japan.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

No, Nintendo didnt expect the delays of going HD. If the delays werent an issue this wouldnt even be a subject to discuss. Plus all the bugs are worked out of the Wii U now.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Lack of games is the real problem
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

No, if anything it was released too late. Release it in 2011 with the same specs with a Skyward Sword HD port and others and it would a good idea. May not be better off I suppose.

The 3DS though, that shouldn't have released until June 2011

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bonesawisready5

I already made a thread about why I thought it released too soon but at least this time they can fix things through firmware updates, at least on the software side. I believe they need to put out a WiiU Enhancement feature ala Expansion Pack.nini200

An expansion pak literally can't happen. You have actually think about how the system lacks any sort of port for it, at least in the traditional expansion pak sense. Besides all the bad messaging that sends to consumers about releasing an inferior product in the first place.

The only thing I could see working (but won't happen) is some sort of SD card RAM boost like on Windows ReadyShare

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/using-memory-in-your-storage-device-to-speed-up-your-computer

Maybe they give out free 8GB SD cards to all Wii U owners and that 8GB is used exclusively for games. They could theoretically include them for free with every game that would need the RAM upgrade. But like I said, that's very unlikely and it may not even help all that much

dino77c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dino77c
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

System would be doing fine if they had some big 1st party games ready

lack of games is killing it, people are all excited about playing snes roms on it...big deal I can do that on my phone FFS

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TransformerRobo

lack of games is killing it, people are all excited about playing snes roms on it...big deal I can do that on my phone FFS

dino77c

I thought that was illegal.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#22 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It was. Nintendo should have waited a while longer so that they would have a stronger flow of software to back it up.

The release line up was actually pretty good, but the games released in the months following that initial wave were not that great, with the exception of Lego City.

I figured they would have learned something after the 3DS' launch, but they made the same mistake once more. However, with the upcoming stream of great games, the system has a great chance to recover.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

It was. Nintendo should have waited a while longer so that they would have a stronger flow of software to back it up.

The release line up was actually pretty good, but the games released in the months following that initial wave were not that great, with the exception of Lego City.

I figured they would have learned something after the 3DS' launch, but they made the same mistake once more. However, with the upcoming stream of great games, the system has a great chance to recover.

Pierst179
If they really wanted it to be successful, they should have done the same thing they did with Twilight Princess. It would have sucked for fans, but a new Zelda on launch day would have done wonders for the system.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#24 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

meetroid8

If they really wanted it to be successful, they should have done the same thing they did with Twilight Princess. It would have sucked for fans, but a new Zelda on launch day would have done wonders for the system.

It would have been a good strategy.

dino77c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dino77c

[QUOTE="dino77c"]

TransformerRobo

call the cops...its just sad how excited people are to play an SNES game on nintendo's next gen system I can't believe they launched this console with no games
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="TransformerRobo"]

[QUOTE="dino77c"]

dino77c

call the cops...its just sad how excited people are to play an SNES game on nintendo's next gen system I can't believe they launched this console with no games

Funny, I have ten Wii U games sitting on my shelf so I don't understand how they launched it with no games, not to mention digital games.

That said, people can be excited to play an SNES game on it if they choose to. I assume you're referring to Earthbound which obviously it isn't that they're excited to play it on Wii U specifically, just that they can play it again without spending $150+ on a single cart. People can get excited about whatever they want.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i honestly wouldnt give 3 shits about the wii u's technical limitations relative to the ps4 and xbox1 if i had some damn games to play

bought it for mario, then ..., then pikman, then ill have to wait til next year for a big title to launch on the wii u.

im not picky, and i like some of the unique things about the wii u, i dont like that theres nothing to do with said uniqueness.

as a sidenote i also wish the VC games covered the full screen on the tablet and tv (i dont care if its streched, just give me the option).

dino77c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dino77c

[QUOTE="dino77c"][QUOTE="TransformerRobo"]

bonesawisready5

Funny, I have ten Wii U games sitting on my shelf so I don't understand how they launched it with no games, not to mention digital games.

That said, people can be excited to play an SNES game on it if they choose to. I assume you're referring to Earthbound which obviously it isn't that they're excited to play it on Wii U specifically, just that they can play it again without spending $150+ on a single cart. People can get excited about whatever they want.

There are other ways to player earthbound without spending $150 come on now. Most of the games out now were already available on 7 year old consoles...there is next to nothing to play on this thing only a true fanboy would try and argue that point.
dino77c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dino77c

i honestly wouldnt give 3 shits about the wii u's technical limitations relative to the ps4 and xbox1 if i had some damn games to play

bought it for mario, then ..., then pikman, then ill have to wait til next year for a big title to launch on the wii u.

im not picky, and i like some of the unique things about the wii u, i dont like that theres nothing to do with said uniqueness.

as a sidenote i also wish the VC games covered the full screen on the tablet and tv (i dont care if its streched, just give me the option).

i-rock-socks

thats the thing...who cares about the specs I'm sure nintendo can make some amazing games on this system but we need them now.  Look at the sales numbers, after the initial launch (with many of the purchases being from people trying to make a profit) this system has been dead in the water.  Why on earth would anyone buy this thing right now?  I already had a PS3 and 360 we don't need inferior ports from 7 year old systems we need new games!

hopefully Pikmin 3 will be the start of something good, should have been released at launch though

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Too late imho.

Nintendo had a great chance to launch a "third player" HD console with significantly better capabilities than the HD twins two years ago or so when the Wii sales and support started declining but they messed it up.

It could have launched with an enhanced version of Skyward Sword and several multi-plats like Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dark Souls, ect. and provide true 1080p visuals with good graphics detail.

In general I think they bet too much on that expensive controller rather than give it better hardware instead. (they could still have an innovative controller for less expense)

It's also strange (if unsurprising) they were so un-prepared for HD development.

Maybe the Wii's last-gen hardware made them a bit too comfortable with it and they fell behind the rest of the industry in that regard.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

I already had a PS3 and 360 we don't need inferior ports from 7 year old systems we need new games!

dino77c

batman, dues ex, mass effect 3, tekken tag 2 are like game of the year editions with DLC and gamepad features.

just saying they are not straight ports.

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

Was the Wii U released too soon? Should Nintendo have delayed it so that they could retweek things with it, then release it around the same time as Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze?

TransformerRobo
I think Nintendo put themselves in a bad position with little interesting games at launch of Wii U, but on the other hand if they had waited for this holiday season I think that would not have put them that much in a better position with X1 and Ps4 launches coming. They might have done a little better with all these great lineup of games coming but I think its just a tough position they are in now
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

[QUOTE="dino77c"] call the cops...its just sad how excited people are to play an SNES game on nintendo's next gen system I can't believe they launched this console with no gamesdino77c

There are other ways to player earthbound without spending $150 come on now. Most of the games out now were already available on 7 year old consoles...there is next to nothing to play on this thing only a true fanboy would try and argue that point.

Oh you mean ways that don't communicate to Nintendo that you want the franchise to continue and get new installments?

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Too soon. Major game releases are too far apart and no new AAA title in the library yet. Not to mention the sloppy OS and the huge day 1 update. On the bright side, it's still nowhere near as bad as the 3DS launch year.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="TransformerRobo"]

PS4TrumpsXbox1

I think Nintendo put themselves in a bad position with little interesting games at launch of Wii U, but on the other hand if they had waited for this holiday season I think that would not have put them that much in a better position with X1 and Ps4 launches coming. They might have done a little better with all these great lineup of games coming but I think its just a tough position they are in now

The only reason they didn't have "interesting" games is because of unforessable delays to Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Wii Fit U, and Pikmin 3. Had those all come out by March 31st, 2013 we'd be talking about something else. Delays happen. They make the games better in the end, at least hopefully so.

Not only that but Nintendo couldn't have forseen the cancellation of Metro: Last Light and Alien Colonial Marines on Wii U either or EA pulling support the way they did.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Nintendo KNEW they were making the Wii U a long time ago and i fail to see why they could not have released some high quality games at launch or at least near launch. What exactly is the cause for this lack of vision and forethought is way beyond me, but clearly they are paying a heavy price for their laziness. Get on the ball Nintendo. Your sad excuses and apologies just sound stupid at this point. Its been 9 months since i bought a game for your system. Yeah, I'm excited to finally see some games on the horizon like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101...but damn if i am not a hairs breath away from saying " fuk it" and trading in my WiiU for some solid credit towards some PS4 game pre-orders.  

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

No, it just needed more games, power, and bulit in storgae and it would have been perfect.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

[QUOTE="PS4TrumpsXbox1"][QUOTE="TransformerRobo"]

bonesawisready5

The only reason they didn't have "interesting" games is because of unforessable delays to Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Wii Fit U, and Pikmin 3. Had those all come out by March 31st, 2013 we'd be talking about something else. Delays happen. They make the games better in the end, at least hopefully so.

Not only that but Nintendo couldn't have forseen the cancellation of Metro: Last Light and Alien Colonial Marines on Wii U either or EA pulling support the way they did.

What is the official story about that, was it just the fact taht Ninty didnt want NN to be absorbed by Origin, or was it the lack of sales. I can't imagine they expected big numbers from ports. Hell, i cant be th eonly one that bought ME3 and NFSMWU.

dino77c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dino77c

you can't be serious

Nintendo should have released more high quality games not sure how anyone can argue that.  Ports from 7 year old consoles and broken party games just made the thing look bad.  

I like nintendo and hope they do well be its pretty stupid to defend everything they do especially when they obviously missed the mark so far.

2d games and ports/old games are cool but thats not what people buy new consoles for

Avatar image for Epic_Reflex8283
Epic_Reflex8283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Epic_Reflex8283
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I just wish they updated the wii with stuff like what the wii u has, so we didn't have to waste money with a whole new console.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#41 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

I believe Nintendo released the Wii U a year too LATE.

I think holiday 2011 would have been better. That's a two year gap from the the other 2 next gen consoles instead of the one year which it has. There also would have been even more 3rd party multiplats for the Wii U (by a whole year's worth).

We just might have seen, theoretically maybe Portal 2, skyrim, battlefield 3, hitman absplution all while many 3rd party games at launch would have been released right alongiside instead of a few months later (see Tekken tag tournament 2, batman arkham city, darsiders 2 as a few examples).

So more 3rd party games for the short term, and a bigger gap in time from the xbox one and ps4, add to that the wii despite being the greatest video game platform all of time, wasn't very strong in 2011 (take away Skyward Sword and there's practically nothing for America), and we have to wait until holiday 2012. There was a big gap there. Wii U is a year too late I think, not too soon.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

i agree.

if wii u was released today, it would have pikmin soon to come.  and there would be no complaint of a crappy launch.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TransformerRobo

Well, after thinking about it for a long time, the Wii U was released too early. Had it been released this year's Holiday season instead Nintendo would've had more time to put more technological effort into it, and it would have major system sellers already available with it at launch.