Regular DS games on the 3DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StarSeekerLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StarSeekerLee
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

So I've heard many complaints on the suckish battery life for the 3DS, but haven't heard too many complaints on the fact that when you play regular DS games on the 3DS, you get a hazy and blurry effect; especially when it comes to text. I love my 3DS and honestly, I can actually tolerate low battery life until a better battery pack is released for it. But the fact that the 3DS takes away from the enjoyment that regular DS games have to offer is eating me up. 8/ I have many DS games that I really enjoy like The World Ends With Youand Okamiden. Do any of you think that a patch for this issue could be released? What are your thoughts on this problem and does it really effect your enjoyment in any way?

SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts

If you hold down "start" and "select" at the same time it will change the setting and make the 3ds screen show the regular ds games the same view and size as on say a ds lite.

For now that's the only fix i know for the so called blurriness.

StarSeekerLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StarSeekerLee

Yes, I do realize that. But for some reason it makes the screens smaller than the original DS screens themselves. .___.

PseudoBudda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PseudoBudda
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The star/select thing is your only option. It sucks at first but I think you'll get used to it after awhile. Maybe a future patch could possibly help.
SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts

Yeah :( I don't think nintendo thought things all the way through when making the 3ds. I guess they assumed that people would be so in awe with the 3d feature that they wouldn't be playing as many ds games on it but run out and buy all the 3d titles they launched and they prob assumed that most would keep their old ds systems to play the regular ds games on. I myself am very disapointed in the fact that reg ds games do indeed not look great on a 3ds , I have over 100 regular ds games and now im glad i kept my ds lite. Maybe in the near future nintendo will be able to fix the way regular ds games look/fit on a 3ds screen through a software patch or something.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Yes, I do realize that. But for some reason it makes the screens smaller than the original DS screens themselves. .___.

StarSeekerLee

Its actually the same size in terms of resolution which is why its smaller because the 3DS has a higher resolution screen.

bls_essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bls_essex
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

The difference in look is only jarring at first but your brain quickly adapts. I've been playing DQ IV on it and I enjoy playing it more on the 3DS than the DSI XL. The thumb slider is superior to the d-pad, and the compact size of the console feels "funner".

Travis281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Travis281
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts

You want higher resolution graphics, right? Nintendo thought things through they just didn't want to use a low-res screen just so their DS games look great. The focus was to make next gen games look great. They did make it backward compatible though so they are recognizing the needs of their fans.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

I just got used to the way the DS games look. I'd rather have it look weird, then tiny. Still I think they could have made it upscale better, the resolution difference isn't that much. They managed to get VC NES games to look good on an a huge HDTV, so I don't see why they couldn't get DS games to look good on a small 3DS screen. NES games on an HDTV is a way larger resolution change. Maybe they'll fix it in a firmware update, or the next 3DS anyway.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well it really depends on how the 3DS is doing its emulation. Since it plays all DS games and supports all of their features im guessing its hardware based because ive never heard of a software based emulator being 100% compatible. Thing about hardware based emulation though is that games are run exactly like they would on a DS which is how they get that 100%. IDK if it would be possible to resolve the resolution issues with a software update because it would require increasing the actual resolution of the game instead of stretching it. Maybe if it was software based but then you would lose a ton of compatibility. I dont think the situation is gonna get any better but don't take my word for it.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

seems fine to me, but then again i think the only DS game i tried on my 3DS is Spirit tracks which uses the bottom screen lol

takspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 takspeed
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts
Currently playing okamiden and loving using the thumb slider rather than the D-pad muuchh more smoother. Hm I may try out gta on it and see how the graphics are plus how the thumb slider feels.
StarSeekerLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StarSeekerLee

Yeah, I have a feeling I'll get used to the lower resolution for DS games on the 3DS. It's just very jarring for me at the moment.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

well it really depends on how the 3DS is doing its emulation. Since it plays all DS games and supports all of their features im guessing its hardware based because ive never heard of a software based emulator being 100% compatible. Thing about hardware based emulation though is that games are run exactly like they would on a DS which is how they get that 100%. IDK if it would be possible to resolve the resolution issues with a software update because it would require increasing the actual resolution of the game instead of stretching it. Maybe if it was software based but then you would lose a ton of compatibility. I dont think the situation is gonna get any better but don't take my word for it.

Gen007

Nintendo could fiddle with the image filter they apply to DS games in a software update. My understanding is that they apply a blur filter to keep things from looking extemely pixelated.

fred1712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 fred1712
Member since 2005 • 1220 Posts

I just got used to the way the DS games look. I'd rather have it look weird, then tiny. Still I think they could have made it upscale better, the resolution difference isn't that much. They managed to get VC NES games to look good on an a huge HDTV, so I don't see why they couldn't get DS games to look good on a small 3DS screen. NES games on an HDTV is a way larger resolution change. Maybe they'll fix it in a firmware update, or the next 3DS anyway.

AlmightyDerek
Nuff' Said