Region Locked DSi's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dr_doongy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 dr_doongy
Member since 2008 • 625 Posts

Nintendo has confirmed that the up and coming DSi will be region-locked.. to a certain degree.

My understanding from the article is that DSi-specific software will only be playable alongside corresponding hardware.

*edited for clarification purposes.

sparda012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 sparda012
Member since 2006 • 2045 Posts
So we cant import it and play american games on it?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Only DSi-software. You can still play American DS games on it though.

Here's more info:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170373

The new DSi will be region locked only for DSi-specific software, reports CVG. A spokesperson for the company has said, "DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region locked." The statement goes on to clarify, "Nintendo DS software is region free so you can play any DS software on DSi from any region. You can also browse the internet on your DSi wherever you are in the world and exchange your photos with friends from around the world."

As for the region lock, Nintendo explains that the system's new internet features are the reason. "DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region. Also because we are including parental control functionality for Nintendo DSi and each region has its unique age limit."

psp8976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 psp8976
Member since 2008 • 4310 Posts
but i want to no if the gba slote is it going to be there or they just got rid of it????
firecookie29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 firecookie29
Member since 2008 • 775 Posts
Sorry, they did. I thought, no more GBA slot, oh well. Then I looked at my birthday wishlist with Guitar Hero on it. Then I thought that it was stupid to get rid of the slot. Sure, there's a new SD Card slot but they decided to make it to thin and got rid of the GBA Slot. Because of this, Nintend wasted money on Guitar Hero, just to make people buy and sell it to get the DSi. How lame.