RE: Mercenaries IGN Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1179462p1.html

Wow that really really shocked me :shock: (Thats not sarcasm)

Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts
Though I have not played it, I can't say I'm too surprised. This whole project has stunk of laziness from the get-go. Doing a Mercs-only game is in itself pushing it. This not having EVERY Mercs map, character, costume, weapon and many originals of all the above is simply unacceptable.
pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts

Lol i was going to get this now i think i will save my money for Overclock.:P

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 buft
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
I was going to get it but after i found out that there isnt a pile of content to play i figured i would just wait until revelations
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Not surprised. Is anyone? It's basically the minigame from RE4/RE5 with some new characters and levels. It was never more than an amusing diversion at best, a small bonus on a full-fledged Resident Evil title. It's insulting they expect people to pay $40 for it (even ignoring the save fiasco).
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
Well, i've been having fun with it all day.. the controls work great and graphically its awesome.. Its like an arcade game, not a whole lot of content, but addictive as hell!
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Its what it deserves...

Its 6 missions with NO story (ala: Steel Diver) and priced as a full game. I would have def bought this for 10-20 bucks no doubt...
In all honestly it should have come with Revelations for free but whatever. I went the other route and just ordered Resident Evil 5 from Amazon NEW for 15 bucks. Ill get to play the full RE5 campaign and mercenaries.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Its 6 missions with NO story (ala: Steel Diver) and priced as a full game. I would have def bought this for 10-20 bucks no doubt.SRTtoZ
Capcom is definitely taking advantage of the lack of decent software for the 3DS - I'm sure they know they would never be able to get away with this kind of crap in a year's time. But right now, there are so few good games that people will probably buy up a reasonable number of copies of this laziness just because it's not complete garbage.
pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts
[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]Its 6 missions with NO story (ala: Steel Diver) and priced as a full game. I would have def bought this for 10-20 bucks no doubt.DJ_Lae
Capcom is definitely taking advantage of the lack of decent software for the 3DS - I'm sure they know they would never be able to get away with this kind of crap in a year's time. But right now, there are so few good games that people will probably buy up a reasonable number of copies of this laziness just because it's not complete garbage.

Its Capcom what to you expect lol. This is the same company who locked out characters in games just so they can sell them as DLC.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Is it bad?
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

Is it bad?SoAmazingBaby
It's not bad. It is what it says it is, it's the Mercenaries mode, with a some extra customization. I happen to love the Merc mode. I also wanted a game I can pick up and play for 5-20 minutes at a time when I'm waiting on something or whatnot, and this game is perfect for that. I bought it a few hours ago and have been playing it happily ever since.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
You have RE4? Well, you are done then. I always said it: Revelations, no this. Add that to the fact you can't even sell it. Great game Capcom!!
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DustinTheWind

Game Informer gave it an 8.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/resident_evil_the_mercenaries_3d/b/nintendo_ds/archive/2011/06/28/these-guns-for-hire-are-worth-the-expense.aspx

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
So far on Gamerankings IGN is the only site that has given the game below an 8.0 score. I'll wait for a few more reviews before I make a decision.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
who cares about ign editors say they are all fakes for years ign stopped hiring gamers are editors
Bin3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bin3D
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Well I picked it up early this morning and enjoying it 100%, stopped for now to charge my 3DS.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Kind of odd that there is no mention of the save file issue. Nintendo Power did not mention it either.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="Harkat95"]Though I have not played it, I can't say I'm too surprised. This whole project has stunk of laziness from the get-go. Doing a Mercs-only game is in itself pushing it. This not having EVERY Mercs map, character, costume, weapon and many originals of all the above is simply unacceptable.

It's a cheap cash-in. take a mini-game from an established RE game. Port it to 3DS. add a few extra maps, characters, unlockables and charge full price for it. It's a Resident Evil game without the heart and soul. the survival horror storyline. now if they released it at a discounted price it would be worth a look at but at full price I'd save my money.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DustinTheWind

Kind of odd that there is no mention of the save file issue. Nintendo Power did not mention it either.

Euaggelistes

NP wouldn't have known about it since it just became known recently, but it turned out to only be half true anyway. It's just the high score that can't be reset, apparently.
http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/gamestop-respon.php

What score did NP give the game?

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

DustinTheWind

NP wouldn't have known about it since it just became known recently, but it turned out to only be half true anyway. It's just the high score that can't be reset, apparently.
http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/gamestop-respon.php

What score did NP give the game?

NP gave it a 7.5

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

IGN's score really doesn't surprise me. From the moment we discovered that this was a minigame with a few extra touches being sold for full price, I knew it was going to be an absolute joke. I'm not blowing $40 on it, that's for sure.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]Its 6 missions with NO story (ala: Steel Diver) and priced as a full game. I would have def bought this for 10-20 bucks no doubt.DJ_Lae

30 missions not 10 and feature different characters with customization.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
I love how many people who haven't played this game are spurting off at the mouth about what they think. I bought it today, and its good. the animation for enemies that are far away is atrcocious, but the game doesn't look bad, it controls well, and its fun/somewhat challenging. its a "keep playing" game. if you beat it with one character, ya, you WILL feeel underwhelmed, but there are more characters, plus a ranking system, plus multiplayer, so if you are looking for the next Ocarina of time, go play ocarina of time.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rod90
I love how many people who haven't played this game are spurting off at the mouth about what they think. I bought it today, and its good. the animation for enemies that are far away is atrcocious, but the game doesn't look bad, it controls well, and its fun/somewhat challenging. its a "keep playing" game. if you beat it with one character, ya, you WILL feeel underwhelmed, but there are more characters, plus a ranking system, plus multiplayer, so if you are looking for the next Ocarina of time, go play ocarina of time. garrett_duffman
I have Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Nintendogs and RE Revelations to play before this "game", and I'm not counting Zelda.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]I love how many people who haven't played this game are spurting off at the mouth about what they think. I bought it today, and its good. the animation for enemies that are far away is atrcocious, but the game doesn't look bad, it controls well, and its fun/somewhat challenging. its a "keep playing" game. if you beat it with one character, ya, you WILL feeel underwhelmed, but there are more characters, plus a ranking system, plus multiplayer, so if you are looking for the next Ocarina of time, go play ocarina of time. Rod90
I have Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Nintendogs and RE Revelations to play before this "game", and I'm not counting Zelda.

so... play them? i fail to see the relevance to the subject.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
Does anyone know how to unlock more perks? I only have 2 so far that are somewhat useless and i'm stuck on 3-5 (can't beat that giant scorpion thing)
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rod90
[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]I love how many people who haven't played this game are spurting off at the mouth about what they think. I bought it today, and its good. the animation for enemies that are far away is atrcocious, but the game doesn't look bad, it controls well, and its fun/somewhat challenging. its a "keep playing" game. if you beat it with one character, ya, you WILL feeel underwhelmed, but there are more characters, plus a ranking system, plus multiplayer, so if you are looking for the next Ocarina of time, go play ocarina of time. garrett_duffman

Because you said that people just look at OoT and nothing else. That's why I mention all those quality games without counting Zelda.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#28 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

It is just an attempt to make a quick buck .Just wait for Revelations which should be much better because its a traditonal RE game.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
It's not worth $40 but it's still a pretty decent game. After playing it i'd give it a 7/10 and a buy price of about $25 the most.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
I'm having fun a blast playing the game, controls are better then what I thought they would be. Nyhe online is fun and trying to get a higher score is addicting. ISight now I'm stuck trying to survive it's horde mode, highest I've gotten is wave 14.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="Rod90"] I have Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Nintendogs and RE Revelations to play before this "game", and I'm not counting Zelda.

Because you said that people just look at OoT and nothing else. That's why I mention all those quality games without counting Zelda.

that wasn't the point of the post...
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rod90
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"] so... play them? i fail to see the relevance to the subject.

that wasn't the point of the post...

Well, OK, it doesnt matter. :P
Harkat95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Harkat95
Member since 2009 • 1139 Posts
DJ-Lae said it best: [QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] Capcom is definitely taking advantage of the lack of decent software for the 3DS - I'm sure they know they would never be able to get away with this kind of crap in a year's time.

Agreed, this should have been a 10-15$ download, NOT a 40$ retail release. Let's hope the software situation for the 3DS gets better, so we don't get this crap anymore, eh?
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DustinTheWind

DJ-Lae said it best: [QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] Capcom is definitely taking advantage of the lack of decent software for the 3DS - I'm sure they know they would never be able to get away with this kind of crap in a year's time. Harkat95
Agreed, this should have been a 10-15$ download, NOT a 40$ retail release. Let's hope the software situation for the 3DS gets better, so we don't get this crap anymore, eh?

$30 would have been nice, but Mercs 3D definitely has more value than a $10-15 game. It's not like it's a straight port of RE 4/5 Mercs, it's not like they didn't spend money developing this game, they put time and effort into it. Just because it has gotten a few bad reviews (don't forget it has also gotten plenty of good ones) doesn't mean this game has no value and should have been on the e-shop.

Mercs 3D is by far my favorite game on the 3DS so far, and that will probably be true for a while. At least until the holidays.