Racing games in DS: Mario Kart and what more?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 julianozuca
Member since 2006 • 1944 Posts
What do you think about the racing games in DS? I'm looking for another one (I already have Mario Kart), but Gamespot's reviews put they all below 7.something...
hXcmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hXcmac
Member since 2004 • 389 Posts

i wouldnt listen to GS review of diddy kong racing, beacuse its a really fun game

especially if you enjoyed the original 64 version

plus its got wifi

another pretty good racing game is asphalt 2

i heard its pretty fun, but have never played personally 

julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 julianozuca
OK... For now I'm looking for a REAL racing game (not a kart game). Maybe I should try Asphalt, so...
PlyrChicho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 PlyrChicho
Member since 2007 • 103 Posts
ive heard that diddy kong racing is good...but ridge racer and other racing games are said to be lame...u should try them at least
lukeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lukeb123
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
I have Asphalt 2, it's a ton of fun. I've not played Need For Speed: Carbon yet, but its supposed to be pretty good too.
julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 julianozuca
Asphalt 2 x 0 others
mtburdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mtburdell
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
Are you answering your own question?! ...but yea Asphalt 2 is pretty good. The only thing is it's not that challanging to win and you can get away with alot of bashing into stuff without any consequences. I'd recommend it though. Actually this lack of good racing games for the DS has made me think about also getting a PSP...just mainly for some of the racing title on there. I just wish they would put out a model that just plays games instead of all the other stuff like music, photo, movies. Sorry, I know this sounds like it's morphing into a PSP thread but I'm really a DS lover that also wants a few racing games and the DS may not be best suited for that.
julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 julianozuca

Are you answering your own question?! ...but yea Asphalt 2 is pretty good. The only thing is it's not that challanging to win and you can get away with alot of bashing into stuff without any consequences. I'd recommend it though. Actually this lack of good racing games for the DS has made me think about also getting a PSP...just mainly for some of the racing title on there. I just wish they would put out a model that just plays games instead of all the other stuff like music, photo, movies. Sorry, I know this sounds like it's morphing into a PSP thread but I'm really a DS lover that also wants a few racing games and the DS may not be best suited for that.mtburdell

No! I don't even know this Asphalt game. I miss good racing games in DS too, I think it's a great void in DS game list. I'm curious about the Need for Speed games, but Gamespot's reviews aren't that great too.

smb333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 smb333
Member since 2007 • 3368 Posts
really the only decent racing games on ds are diddy kong racing and mario kart ds
julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 julianozuca
I think I'll try Asphalt 2. I was reading some reviews, and it looks better than a Need for Speed, for example.
Spikyspaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Spikyspaz
Member since 2005 • 213 Posts

ridge racer is ultra lame. when you hit the drift button the car attachs to the road in the middle and does a perfect turn.

burnout was stupid, because you were glued to the ground and tiny bumps made you blow up

ds was not made for real racing games

lukeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lukeb123
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
I wouldn't say the "DS was not made for real racing games." I would say that developers don't view the DS as a serious gaming machine yet. I say "yet" because I think between the off-the-chart DS sales combined with the largely untapped 3D graphics the DS is capable of (see Metroid Prime: Hunters, Brothers in Arms, The Ward, Ninja Gaiden) more developers will be wanting to make money and therefore more developers will take advantage of the DS capabilities. Hopefully more "serious" games will be made for the DS like racers, shooters and epics.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
There are Need for Speed games....
sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 sergioalb64
Member since 2005 • 2697 Posts
IGN gave the recently-released Herbie DS racing game an ok score, saying it was actually a pretty decent racer.  Go figure :)
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 riseneclipse
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts
after playing every racer except need for speed i would have to say Diddy Kong Racing. The onlygame that beats diddy kong is mario kart
LastLaugh90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LastLaugh90
Member since 2005 • 518 Posts
yeah i had asphault when i first got my DS..its pretty sweet..pretty good graphics and good gameplay
julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 julianozuca

I wouldn't say the "DS was not made for real racing games." I would say that developers don't view the DS as a serious gaming machine yet. I say "yet" because I think between the off-the-chart DS sales combined with the largely untapped 3D graphics the DS is capable of (see Metroid Prime: Hunters, Brothers in Arms, The Ward, Ninja Gaiden) more developers will be wanting to make money and therefore more developers will take advantage of the DS capabilities. Hopefully more "serious" games will be made for the DS like racers, shooters and epics.lukeb123

May the developers listen to you... I'll check Herbie too.