"Super Smash Bros. needs new direction"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

It's not about how big your roster is, its how you use it

SmashBrosArt.jpg

(Above is released artwork for the game)

Sakurai had an interview with Nintendo Power about the new SSB he's working on, and this is what he had to say:

"It isn?t a matter of ?if the next game has 50 characters, that?ll be enough.? There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive?. In terms of quantity, we?ve probably already reached the limit of what?s feasible.I think a change of direction may be what?s needed."

Looks like the next Super Smash Bros. could be getting a change in direction from what the series has seen so far!

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Hmm, I don't like the sound of this. I enjoy the gameplay of 64, Melee and Brawl and TBH, all I really want is for them to "fix" the problems and add more characters, if there ends up be less I might not even bother with the next game, because the rosters in the past 3 games have always annoyed me for missing out characters I really want to see. Also, I hope this isn't the case, but in some ways it sounds like there making excuses to leave out characters so they can add them in later as DLC when the fans get upset about them not been included.
DarkAndroid007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 DarkAndroid007
Member since 2012 • 79 Posts

I believe a stronger single player mode wouldn't hurt it since it learns more towards multiplayer, don't get me wrong subspace emmisary was alright but wasn't what I was hoping for. I hope they don't go too crazy with the character roster.

lol Marth in the picture

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

He makes a good point, but it's not like anything close to balance has existed in any of the previous entries, so I don't see the point in cutting character numbers down if that is what you're trying to realize.

I'm wondering what he's actually planning on doing though. I'm fine with the number of characters they have as long as they get rid of clones and what not, but he's not really giving any hints as to what he's trying to fix.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Sigh... It's not like Smash Bros. has ever been particularly balanced.

I'm totally cool with a 1.5 sequel as long as it's as fun as it's always been.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I think the point of what hes saying is that the more characters they add, the more similar they all have to be to prevent an overwhelming unbalance where most characters aren't playable. Once to get past a certain number of characters, its playing the same character in a different skin :P

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
I want this gaaaame
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points