"One code per system..."

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Okay, first off, lets make a couple things clear: Thus far, my overall impression of the Wii is VERY positive, and I'm not trying to bash Nintendo. I'm just asking out of curiosity:

Did Nintendo actually say the Wii would use one unified friend code for all games... and if so, could a link be provided... or was this simply near-launch speculation? I ask because previews for both Pokemon Rev. (***.) and Mario Strikers (Eup.) make it clear that Nintendo is going for the same "one code-per game" approach they used on the DS.

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
From what I heard, it seems its going to be "one code per game", just like the DS...
WizardsKeep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WizardsKeep
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts

Okay, first off, lets make a couple things clear: Thus far, my overall impression of the Wii is VERY positive, and I'm not trying to bash Nintendo. I'm just asking out of curiosity:

Did Nintendo actually say the Wii would use one unified friend code for all games... and if so, could a link be provided... or was this simply near-launch speculation? I ask because previews for both Pokemon Rev. (***.) and Mario Strikers (Eup.) make it clear that Nintendo is going for the same "one code-per game" approach they used on the DS.

ThePlothole

I believe it was speculation prior to launch, mainly because the Wii had a code, whereas the DS did not.  Only the games did.  It seems we'll need separate numbers for each game afterall... 

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Depends who you listen to right now.

EA says they've been working with one code per system, others say it's one code per game.

We'll find out soon enough 

d_ballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 d_ballz
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts

EA says they've been working with one code per system, others say it's one code per game.

Jaysonguy

Where has EA said this?   It's one code per game.  It sucks and apparently there is nothing we can do about it.  Not a single person has told Nintnendo anything other than this system sucks and makes things actually more difficult, and yet they choose not to listen.  As ridiculous as friend codes are to begin with, why we have to have different ones for each game makes it even more asinine.  If the system has it's own code, it should at least allow us to unify that code for each game.

Want something to really mess with your head?  If the Wii is going to use the same jackholed system the DS uses, what the hell was the hold up in having online games in the first place?!?!  Why didn't we have this feature at launch?  Why were 3rd parties being denied the kits to create online content?  If absolutely nothing changed, there is no reason why the Wii couldn't have just piggybacked onto the DS's network right from the get go.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

EA said it in an interview on G4 about 2 months ago 

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
Is one code per Mii right now as seen in MSC, or one Code per Mii&Game. ANyway, multiple profiles for each system = win as a social entretainment center. Nintendo wants to be far from the Online-player= obscure-solitary-geek-living-in-the-asement stigma.
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts

EA said it in an interview on G4 about 2 months ago

Jaysonguy

For games, it's one code per game. IGN has paraphrased developer documention where Nintendo requires that if you're trying to play with specific people:

When Nintendo sends out development documentation to studios, it includes a list of mandatory items along with suggested items. Friend codes fall into the mandatory category. You will still be able to play online games without them, but you'll be playing against random people. If you want to specifically play against me, you'll need to know my friend code and I'll need to know yours. Developers are required to support this system with their online games.

It's a double blind, double opt in system, and it's beyond silly and onerous.

ghostadv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 ghostadv
Member since 2004 • 3080 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

d_ballz

Where has EA said this? It's one code per game. It sucks and apparently there is nothing we can do about it. Not a single person has told Nintnendo anything other than this system sucks and makes things actually more difficult, and yet they choose not to listen. As ridiculous as friend codes are to begin with, why we have to have different ones for each game makes it even more asinine. If the system has it's own code, it should at least allow us to unify that code for each game.

Want something to really mess with your head? If the Wii is going to use the same jackholed system the DS uses, what the hell was the hold up in having online games in the first place?!?! Why didn't we have this feature at launch? Why were 3rd parties being denied the kits to create online content? If absolutely nothing changed, there is no reason why the Wii couldn't have just piggybacked onto the DS's network right from the get go.

That's honestly one of the areas I think Nintendo really effed up on, and I still fail to understand the reasoning behind it other than a lame excuse of "we didn't have enough time."

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
[QUOTE="d_ballz"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

ghostadv

Where has EA said this? It's one code per game. It sucks and apparently there is nothing we can do about it. Not a single person has told Nintnendo anything other than this system sucks and makes things actually more difficult, and yet they choose not to listen. As ridiculous as friend codes are to begin with, why we have to have different ones for each game makes it even more asinine. If the system has it's own code, it should at least allow us to unify that code for each game.

Want something to really mess with your head? If the Wii is going to use the same jackholed system the DS uses, what the hell was the hold up in having online games in the first place?!?! Why didn't we have this feature at launch? Why were 3rd parties being denied the kits to create online content? If absolutely nothing changed, there is no reason why the Wii couldn't have just piggybacked onto the DS's network right from the get go.

That's honestly one of the areas I think Nintendo really effed up on, and I still fail to understand the reasoning behind it other than a lame excuse of "we didn't have enough time."

I don't dwell on the past. Who knows why they did it. All I know is Strikers online looks awesome and you act like the FCs are SUCH a big hassle. Just be happy we even HAVE online.
gamermanjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gamermanjohn
Member since 2005 • 1849 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

d_ballz

Where has EA said this?   It's one code per game.  It sucks and apparently there is nothing we can do about it.  Not a single person has told Nintnendo anything other than this system sucks and makes things actually more difficult, and yet they choose not to listen.  As ridiculous as friend codes are to begin with, why we have to have different ones for each game makes it even more asinine.  If the system has it's own code, it should at least allow us to unify that code for each game.

Want something to really mess with your head?  If the Wii is going to use the same jackholed system the DS uses, what the hell was the hold up in having online games in the first place?!?!  Why didn't we have this feature at launch?  Why were 3rd parties being denied the kits to create online content?  If absolutely nothing changed, there is no reason why the Wii couldn't have just piggybacked onto the DS's network right from the get go.

I think it is more a matters of preventing hacking, don't you think? Having a unique code for a unique game 
on a unique console seems like a good way to prevent game copy and hacking to me!  

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11996 Posts
You don't have to use the friend code to play, you just have to use it to play with a friend.
anucadivad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 anucadivad
Member since 2005 • 34 Posts

Yep, they've got a preview of Mario Strikers over at IGN, and they've confirmed that it has its own friend code:

Sigh..... all I have to say is, how can Nintendo ignore just about EVERYONE IN THE FREAKIN WORLD?!?! I mean, every single person I've talked to thinks friend codes suck, and yet here they go, plowing along amongst all the criticism. Why can't they just listen to the fans for a change? 

RoyFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 RoyFanatic
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts

*SIGH* THIS argument again.

Nintendo keeps the "one friend-code per game" policy because of child predator reasons, and because of hacking and pirating issues. With multiple friend codes, a child predator would have difficulty finding every single way to speak with the kid. And it prevents the predator from actually being able to have access to the child's original system. It also keeps hackers and pirates from hacking into the Wii owner's system itself. Besides, it's not that big of a deal anyways if you have to put in one 14-digit string of numbers. They really aren't that bad.

Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts

*SIGH* THIS argument again.

Nintendo keeps the "one friend-code per game" policy because of child predator reasons, and because of hacking and pirating issues. With multiple friend codes, a child predator would have difficulty finding every single way to speak with the kid. And it prevents the predator from actually being able to have access to the child's original system. It also keeps hackers and pirates from hacking into the Wii owner's system itself. Besides, it's not that big of a deal anyways if you have to put in one 14-digit string of numbers. They really aren't that bad.

RoyFanatic

It's not "one" 14 digit string of numbers. It's a 14 digit string of numbers for each friend, for each game.

And the 'child predator' argument is ludicrous. You don't want your child playing online with strangers, then don't allow them to use the Internet. They have the Wii online, they almost assuredly have a computer online. It's up to their parents to dictate the usage of their children

The adult audience for the Wii shouldn't be forced to use an asinine, non-intuitive system, especially when the standard in the industry is so easy to use. All it's going to do is cause a lot less people to play a lot less Wii online, as the barrier to entry makes it less attractive.The Wii is supposed to be a fun, pick up and play, easy system. The Friend Code nonsense (and the silly, buried address book) goes entirely against that supposed philosophy. Nintendo is great at making games. They're pure rubbish at this sort of integrated experience.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Yes, Nintendo said that.  They fail again.