Questions about the Wii specs.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

APic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 APic
Member since 2005 • 1640 Posts

I may be getting a Wii, but first I need to gather some information on it.

Does the Wii have an internal harddrive like the PS3 and 360? If so, how much does it hold? I've also seen that the Wii has memory cards. What memory sizes do they come in? What is the average size of a Wii game?

About the Virtual Console, do the downloaded games go onto any harddrive, or onto a memory card? Do they need any special controls?

Is the nunchuck attachment needed for certain games?

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

The Wii does not have an internal hard drive, but it does have 512 MB of flash RAM (approximately 300 MB is available for storage).

Game saves are tiny so you don't have to worry about those. Virtual Console and WiiWare games can start to get big though. You can fit a decent number before it fills up though. That said, many people including myself filled their memory months ago.

The Wii uses SD Cards up to 2 GB. But you cannot directly read data off them. You must switch things in and out between the system and card.

VC games can be played with the Gamecube controller and some can be played with the Wii Remote. You can also buy a Classic Controller (best option) for only $20.

The nunchuck attachment is used for many games but it comes with the Wii.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

The Wii has Flash memory, not a Hard Drive. The Wii also has a slot for SD cards so you can save your VC games to the card.

You don't need the nucnchuck but the Classic controller is advised.

APic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 APic

What is flash memory?

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rocky32189

What is flash memory?

APic

It's just like a flash drive or SD card. It's a method or storage like a hard drive but it doesn't have moving parts, and therefore is more reliable. That reliability also comes with higher cost though.

APic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 APic
So it's sort of like a removable harddrive? I'm sorry if I sound noobish, but I really don't understnd all of these terms and such. That's why I'm here, to learn about it before I make any purchases.
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

So it's sort of like a removable harddrive? I'm sorry if I sound noobish, but I really don't understnd all of these terms and such. That's why I'm here, to learn about it before I make any purchases.APic

The Wii's flash memory is internal, meaning it can't be moved or anything like that. You can transfer saves onto SD card if you want to play them at someone elses house or something like that, and you can transfer virtual console games onto there as well, but they won't play on anyone else's Wii and, if you want to play them on your Wii you'll have to transfer it over to your Wii's flash memory. It is confusing, I know. I'll summarise - Wii's memory is a LOT smaller than the 360/PS3's, but chances are the average person won't fill it up for a pretty long time.

APic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 APic
This SD card you speak of, is it the memory card used by the Wii?
APic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 APic

Bump.

Avatar image for TacticalElefant
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 TacticalElefant
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
The flash memory is internal and permanently attached to the system, it's 512 MB in data storage. It's the Wii's equivalent to a hard drive, it's the same concept: storage.

The memory cards use the same technology: flash memory, but packaged in a portable card format for easy transporting, they are seperate in purchase. Google is your friend. The Wii has I think 2 ports for SD memory cards to expand the data holding capabilities, however, they are not seen as an amalgamated (total) part of the system, they are seperate, you have to copy back and forth from the SD cards and the system to transfer stuff.
Colin4128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Colin4128
Member since 2008 • 2084 Posts

I may be getting a Wii, but first I need to gather some information on it.

Does the Wii have an internal harddrive like the PS3 and 360? If so, how much does it hold? I've also seen that the Wii has memory cards. What memory sizes do they come in? What is the average size of a Wii game?

About the Virtual Console, do the downloaded games go onto any harddrive, or onto a memory card? Do they need any special controls?

Is the nunchuck attachment needed for certain games?

APic

1 the wii does have something like an internal hard drive

2 the "memory cards" are SD cards and they can go up to 2 GB (i think)

3 VC games get downloaded to the Harde drive automatically you cant download them onto SD cards and paly them on somone elses Wii because of copyright laws! :cry:

4 you need the classic controller for most VC games

5 The nunchuck attachment is needed for certain games.

Hope this helps ask me more questions if needed! :)

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rocky32189

So it's sort of like a removable harddrive? I'm sorry if I sound noobish, but I really don't understnd all of these terms and such. That's why I'm here, to learn about it before I make any purchases.APic

No. Flash memory is just another means of storage, just like a hard drive. It works just like a hard drive if that's what you are wondering. But it's more reliable.

About SD Cards: You do not need SD cards but you can use them if you want to. These memory cards are the same one that you use in most digital cameras.

Corvidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Corvidae
Member since 2003 • 4357 Posts

[QUOTE="APic"]So it's sort of like a removable harddrive? I'm sorry if I sound noobish, but I really don't understnd all of these terms and such. That's why I'm here, to learn about it before I make any purchases.Rocky32189

No. Flash memory is just another means of storage, just like a hard drive. It works just like a hard drive if that's what you are wondering. But it's more reliable.

About SD Cards: You do not need SD cards but you can use them if you want to. These memory cards are the same one that you use in most digital cameras.

Imagine a very, very small harddrive with no moving parts to worry about breaking. That's what makes it more durable, but also more expensive. But you can get a 2GB SD for around $20 these days.