Purchase a Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mkfanforever58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mkfanforever58
Member since 2014 • 31 Posts

I was considering the wii u because I never owned a wii and there are quite a few games that interest me, and obviously there are wii u games that I would like and some cool upcoming ones. Is this year the best time to get one? I just got a 3ds last month so is the Wii U worth it for me? And bonus question what do you guys think is the best Wii u bundle? I was thinking either wind waker or nsmbu and luigi bundle. Thanks in advance.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Best time would have been a few weeks ago during the Mario Kart 8 offer (+1 free game after registering MK8).
But yeah, now is a pretty good time to get a Wii U. Enough to play for a new owner, lots coming and you can play all the Wii gems from the past 8 years and more.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Sgt_Crow said:

Best time would have been a few weeks ago during the Mario Kart 8 offer (+1 free game after registering MK8).

But yeah, now is a pretty good time to get a Wii U. Enough to play for a new owner, lots coming and you can play all the Wii gems from the past 8 years and more.

Awesome job at awful advice

It's not worth getting one now. Mario Kart didn't help sales at all so look for Nintendo to offer more near the holiday season

Now is the worst time to get the console

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@Sgt_Crow said:

It's not worth getting one now. Mario Kart didn't help sales at all so look for Nintendo to offer more near the holiday season

How is it the worst time to get the console?

Best current line up and upcoming as well.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

You could yeah. If you find a good bundle deal I'd roll with one. Otherwise I'd perhaps wait another month or two for a Black Friday or holiday sale. Will be closer to SSB as well.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

If you only just got the 3DS last month, I would recommend enjoying the library that console has to offer and wait for a nice deal/bundle to come along for the Wii U.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

You never got a Wii, so you have a ton to play on Wii U with backwards compatibility. I would wait until the holiday to see if Nintendo comes out with better bundles. It's a great time to get a Wii U, but if you wait a couple more months, you may get a better deal.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Wait for the Xmas deals. You waited this long as the machine came out in 2012. What's a few more months?

Lots of bundles, deals, and discounts are coming.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

If you don't want to wait till black friday (waiting for black friday is also great advice, especially cause I have a feeling Nintendo will do a SSB bundle) I would go here https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat140077. It's Nintendo's official store. They're selling Refurbished Wii U's for $200 with Nintendoland game with the one year warranty. oh yea, they're also selling refurbished wiimotion plus + nunchuk for $25 a set, which is a great deal, a new nunchuk alone is $20 and wiimote is $40. Cut/paste details from the website below from Wii U page:

The Wii U Deluxe Set is now available as an Authentic Nintendo Refurbished set only from Nintendo, and it comes with our standard one year warranty. Although it may have minor cosmetic blemishes, it is guaranteed to be fully functional. We think you will find the standards for Authentic Nintendo Refurbished Products are VERY high.

This refurbished Wii U Deluxe Set includes everything you need to start playing right out of the box.

Included in the set:
Wii U console (Black/32GB Internal Storage*)
Wii U GamePad (Black)
Nintendo Land game disc
Wii U AC Adapter
Wii U GamePad AC Adapter
High Speed HDMI Cable
Sensor Bar
Eligible for Deluxe Digital Promotion.
Wii Remote+ Controllers not included
Not eligible for Club Nintendo hardware registration Coins

Edit: A friend of a friend bought one. His Wii U looks completely brand new, was in perfect cosmetic shape.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Thanks for opening my eyes. I'll continue playing sales now.

mkfanforever58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mkfanforever58
Member since 2014 • 31 Posts

Thanks for the great responses guys, I'm hoping they will make a SSB bundle that isn't only the game and gamecube controller. If they don't make that then I'm hoping to get the Mario Kart bundle if it isn't discontinued by then.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

The NSMB bundle is best, and widely available at it's MSRP price or cheaper, comes with the Luigi DLC expansion on disc.

The Wind Waker bundle was an old one, they're still around but at inflated prices, plus the game doesn't come on disc, it comes on a voucher.

The Mario Kart 8 bundle too is one that's not going for it's original $330 price tag, and I doubt you'll find it at that price, it's probably a lot steeper by now. It came of course with Mario Kart 8, and since your focus was on a Wii BC aspect it came with a Wiimote Plus (you'd still need a nunchuck). If you'd of acquired it a month or two ago you could have partaken in the promotion and got a free download voucher for NSMBU, Pikmin 3, or Wind Waker; with that promotion it would have been your best deal.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Wait for the Xmas deals. You waited this long as the machine came out in 2012. What's a few more months?

Lots of bundles, deals, and discounts are coming.

^ This better to wait for holiday deals/bundles...its not like its selling out. :P

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Might want to wait just a little bit and see if Nintendo does a Smash Bros Wii U bundle...since there is a Smash Bros 3DS XL...

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

My Wii U hasn't been powered on in about 2 months again... there are a lot of great Nintendo franchises to play but I'm not into them. I'm waiting for X and Fatal Frame then I can dust it off and see if it still functions. I played the P.T. demo trailer on my PS4, scared the crap out of me... so Wii U will have Fatal Frame and PS4 all the other classic horror games, should be good.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Sgt_Crow said:

Technically, right now is the worst time to get any console on the market, as all consoles can only get less expensive and will have expanded libraries the longer you wait. Sure, the phrasing pushes buttons by design, but logically, the longer you wait to purchase a console, the more value you'll get for your purchase.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:
@MonsieurX said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Sgt_Crow said:

Technically, right now is the worst time to get any console on the market, as all consoles can only get less expensive and will have expanded libraries the longer you wait. Sure, the phrasing pushes buttons by design, but logically, the longer you wait to purchase a console, the more value you'll get for your purchase.

So now is the best time to get a Nintendo 64 right? They're around 30 bucks on eBay.

Technically, it's not purely about cost-price, but also the excitement of playing something current. So it's a balance between pricing and the right time to pay for a product you will get the most play time out. Which means it could potentially be now, depending on the person.

For example, buying on launch is the worst time to buy a system, price-wise as well as the size of the library being small. But those people who bought on launch have also been playing on the system longer. Assuming there were some games from the beginning that the consumer found worth playing, alongside the overall excitement, the overall value could determine that the launch is the best time to play. Again, depending on the person.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@trugs26 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:
@MonsieurX said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Sgt_Crow said:

So now is the best time to get a Nintendo 64 right? They're around 30 bucks on eBay.

Technically, it's not purely about cost-price, but also the excitement of playing something current. So it's a balance between pricing and the right time to pay for a product you will get the most play time out. Which means it could potentially be now, depending on the person.

For example, buying on launch is the worst time to buy a system, price-wise as well as the size of the library being small. But those people who bought on launch have also been playing on the system longer. Assuming there were some games from the beginning that the consumer found worth playing, alongside the overall excitement, the overall value could determine that the launch is the best time to play. Again, depending on the person.

Yeah that's not really the best talking point when talking about the Wii U

What did early adopters get? The longest time with no games in video game history. Literally.

Also the whole thing is that this right now is the worst time to buy a console, especially one that's failing like the Wii U is. There's no blockbuster games on the horizon until the holidays so why pay a premium now so you can see everything you just bought for a greatly reduced price 3 months from now?

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

What did early adopters get? The longest time with no games in video game history. Literally.

Also the whole thing is that this right now is the worst time to buy a console, especially one that's failing like the Wii U is. There's no blockbuster games on the horizon until the holidays so why pay a premium now so you can see everything you just bought for a greatly reduced price 3 months from now?

Blockbuster games? What the hell are those? "AAA" titles that "Dudebros" get in jerk circles over?

People like you disgust me and are vermin, the single component to bring down the gaming industry. Terrible consumers.

If you had it your way, Nintendo would just be a carbon copy of Sony and Microsoft's twin consoles.

Gotta have all those quality games, like FIFA, and Madden, and NBA, and Assassin's Creed, and COD, and Battlefield right? All the games where the publishers pay websites/magazines to review their game in a 100% positive manner? What happened to originality? You want your games to come out on a yearly basis with little to no ACTUAL improvements?

Go to hell, you don't even enjoy Sony or Microsoft consoles for what they're good for. You're just another "dudebro". Prove me wrong.

CrashNeoSigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CrashNeoSigma
Member since 2014 • 50 Posts

I'm getting one thats all i know ... 5th or 6th next month

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

@crashneosigma said:

I'm getting one thats all i know ... 5th or 6th next month

Good looks, I hope you enjoy it man, it's already got plenty of gems

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@trugs26 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:
@MonsieurX said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Sgt_Crow said:

I was talking about value in the general sense. I'm not really participating in the conversation about the value of the Wii U specifically, as I believe the value is a highly individual thing. So I won't bother getting into squabbles about value on an individual basis. For example, people can find value with the current line up. Is it for everyone? No. Is it for someone? Yes. Is this person in particular the right person? I don't know and don't really care to go into details about their preferences, etc.