Project Cafe Touch Screen Controller Ideas... What Would You Like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MicrosoftISdumb
MicrosoftISdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 MicrosoftISdumb
Member since 2005 • 1959 Posts

Since IGN has confirmed this controller as being legit, I started thinking of some gaming and non gaming ideas. Lets think of some stuff!

• Fully qwerty keyboard for online (w/stylus)
  • Universal touch screen remote (that feature alone would make the controller worth the money)
  • Controllers communicate between each other (play multiplayer games on the controllers without a TV)

Add some ideas!

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I like the idea because the screen can clear up space on the tv and only show the HUD or Map of the game world.

How about in a game like Madden when you pick your play you can just touch the play you want on the screen on the Controller so the person your playing against can't see it.

What about for Splitscreen multiplayer the TV can show stats of the match and show high action areas of the match. While the controller screens can show what your person is doing it will eliminate Screen peeking. The TV can be for spectators.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Nowhere has it been confirmed

MicrosoftISdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MicrosoftISdumb

Nowhere has it been confirmedJaysonguy

"First reported by Game Informer, and later confirmed by IGN's own sources, the console, which has been code named Project Cafe, will match or surpass the processing power of the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 and support a new controller that combines a traditional dual-analog design with an integrated touchscreen display."IGN
Booyah. IGN has been contacting sources who have the dev kits. Do you think IGN would come out and straight up say that Project Cafe has these things without checking their sources AND risking their reputation?

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Nowhere has it been confirmedMicrosoftISdumb

"First reported by Game Informer, and later confirmed by IGN's own sources, the console, which has been code named Project Cafe, will match or surpass the processing power of the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 and support a new controller that combines a traditional dual-analog design with an integrated touchscreen display."IGN
Booyah. IGN has been contacting sources who have the dev kits. Do you think IGN would come out and straight up say that Project Cafe has these things without checking their sources AND risking their reputation?

lol, you need to learn what rumors are, NOTHING is confirmed to be factual

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I was always fond of this one when the wii rumors were around:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
This actually looks good IMO

I like the idea because the screen can clear up space on the tv and only show the HUD or Map of the game world.

How about in a game like Madden when you pick your play you can just touch the play you want on the screen on the Controller so the person your playing against can't see it.

What about for Splitscreen multiplayer the TV can show stats of the match and show high action areas of the match. While the controller screens can show what your person is doing it will eliminate Screen peeking. The TV can be for spectators.

Nintendo_Ownes7
Spot-on! Those are good ideas
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

IGN isn't known for their sources being correct and have gotten things wrong. They talked about Kid Icarus Wii being real for so long, and we never saw anything. They have been right (I think they first talked about DKCR being at E3 just a days before their conference), but these are still just rumors to me until Nintendo shows something.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Nothing IGN said about the 3DS was true before it was revealed [even afterwards, like saying you can't use a WEP enabled router to connect your 3DS online]. I trust no one until Nintendo reveals the real thing.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

MicrosoftISdumb
lol what reputation, this isn't the New York Times we're talking about, its a video game website, if they get it wrong, I don't think they'll be ruined. I don't think they really care if they get it wrong, they just want to generate traffic.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Jaysonguy

This Nintendo is usally very elusive, nothing is true until Mr. Iwata says it is. Remember with the 3DS the announced it 4 months early before someone could leak it

MicrosoftISdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MicrosoftISdumb
IGN isn't known for their sources being correct and have gotten things wrong. They talked about Kid Icarus Wii being real for so long, and we never saw anything. They have been right (I think they first talked about DKCR being at E3 just a days before their conference), but these are still just rumors to me until Nintendo shows something.JohnBean42
It is very possible it was being made for the Wii, then they decided to transfer it to the 3DS. It wouldn't be farfetched, the 3DS is quite powerful. Regardless, lets stay on topic about this real controller. ;)
MicrosoftISdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MicrosoftISdumb

Nintendo_Ownes7

Those are some great ideas, but that Madden ideas is mine. You got it from that other Gamespot thread, didn't you? hehe :) :P

I really like that split-screen multiplayer idea, it would be an interesting concept!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

Yeah I'm really hoping for context sensitive buttons to appear on the touch screen. It's hard to think of examples but it could be done for stuff that isn't really suited to a button, trigger thumbs stick, but maybe a slider, for example, a slider might appear on the touch screen when you're using a sniper rifle so that you can scroll your level of zoom.

ants83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ants83
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts

With console
racing games rear view mirror or gps
Sports games to display tacticsand player cam
Shooting games could use as radar
Any game type could use it for many different things

Away from the console
Play mini/full games or vc games
Watch tv or movies and sport ect
Listen to music or read a book
Go on the internet
Message friends
Download apps like gps and many more.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

It could be used for splitscreen multiplayer to display info that only you are supposed to have. It depends greatly on a fantasy of developers though.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Nothing is official until it has been confirmed by Nintendo themselves.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Jaysonguy

I read the original source for the info sites are posting is the same source who leaked the NGP.

So, yes it's pretty darn official.

Avatar image for redlightstudios
redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 redlightstudios
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

I would honestly hate the idea. I mean, I'm sure it would work.... even if it was awesome. If they released this, I would just be worried that I would get excited and no other developers support the console.

I still think it's a bunch've hoop-la to get everyone hyped up. I'm not holding my breath until I see it for real.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

What if there's a camera on the controller too? Like what of you could hold the controller up in front of the TV and see on the touch screen secret stuff overlaid onto the game. With the kind of AR stuff the 3DS is doing it could be really cool.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

assuming its actually true (still a big assumption), i hope there are plenty of regular buttons too. i wouldnt want to rely on false touch screen buttons for the jump function in a platformer.

the biggest thing i see western developers doing with it is substituting the right stick with the touch in a typical dual analog fps. this is difficult for me as a lefty so i hope theres a more ergonomic version of the ds thumbslider.

i could see the touch screen being a good place to stash an inventory screen too.

keeping on that thought, the biggest thing i want to see is that the focus stays on the tv screen and not the touch screen. first and foremost, the controller should be a medium into the game world. i should never be thinking about the controls.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

darth-pyschosis

I read the original source for the info sites are posting is the same source who leaked the NGP.

So, yes it's pretty darn official.

I'm going to agree with Jayson. It's not official or confirmed from anywhere. Everything is false until it comes directly from Nintendo.

MicrosoftISdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MicrosoftISdumb

What if there's a camera on the controller too? Like what of you could hold the controller up in front of the TV and see on the touch screen secret stuff overlaid onto the game. With the kind of AR stuff the 3DS is doing it could be really cool.

goblaa

That's a really good idea and it seems like a good progression from the 3DS to the new console. AR is the future of gaming, it would be clever if Nintendo could incorporate it in Project Cafe.

I'm going to agree with Jayson. It's not official or confirmed from anywhere. Everything is false until it comes directly from Nintendo.Haziqonfire
The wii's price cut was just announced today. Analysts announced a few weeks ago that the Wii would have a price cut this month. Info leaked out, it happens all the time!

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
I read a while ago that... Sony was it? was toying with the idea of a touch screen controller that would be able to mimic several different control layouts, so if the VC continues maybe we could see virtual pads of the respective systems on the touch screen? How about a DS player for the 'Cafe'? How about a game (or games) that have you move the controller's screen in front of the TV for X-ray/thermal/some-other-augmented-vision? Maybe download full VC games to the controller for 'around the house' gaming? The possibilities are actually pretty cool...
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
It has not been confirmed anything.
LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

I haven't heard anything of a controller being confirmed. If some of the things such as cameras, web browsing and playing games away from the console turns out to be true, is that not just a DS?

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

I haven't heard anything of a controller being confirmed. If some of the things such as cameras, web browsing and playing games away from the console turns out to be true, is that not just a DS?

LazyMushroom
This is a good point, Nintendo would never make a product that would end up competing with one of their own handhelds.
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts

[QUOTE="LazyMushroom"] I haven't heard anything of a controller being confirmed. If some of the things such as cameras, web browsing and playing games away from the console turns out to be true, is that not just a DS?

meetroid8

This is a good point, Nintendo would never make a product that would end up competing with one of their own handhelds.

It is a good point. Another good point is that the IGN article with the imagined controller is filled with words like maybe, possibly, chance, etc. Then it says things like "code named Project Cafe, will match or surpass the processing power of the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3". You know how dumb it would look for Nintendo to make a console LESS powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3? It would cost like $50 to make. It's not even predicting anything to say it will be equally ormore powerful thanthe 360 and PS3 because those are the only two options Nintendo has. After that they say "Again, this is purely based on information provided by IGN's sources, our understanding of console hardware manufacturing, and some speculation; Nintendo has not confirmed or commented upon any of the reports thus far." so everyone saying "this is fact" or even "this is close to fact" is wrong, period. The whole article is speculation so don't take it seriously.