problem with new Mario Bros...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

It just seems to me that with all the different characters that are in the Mushroom Kingdom, we should get more then just mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and toads as our base lineup. I mean, where are the other playable characters??? I know they may be keeping some under wraps, or maybe unlockable...but it just seems that if you can play as 4 different ones in SMB2, that they should atleast have a unlockable 1 or 2. Any thoughts?

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

It just seems to me that with all the different characters that are in the Mushroom Kingdom, we should get more then just mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and toads as our base lineup. I mean, where are the other playable characters??? I know they may be keeping some under wraps, or maybe unlockable...but it just seems that if you can play as 4 different ones in SMB2, that they should atleast have a unlockable 1 or 2. Any thoughts?

da_chub
this has been discussed to death, but i completely agree. i was expecting a lineup similar to what mario kart has.
J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Yeah, I agree.

Imo that's the only problem with the game. I'd much rather play as Red Toad as he's the main color of Toad in the first place, and a different character all together. Or if they were going to add two playable Toads, they shouldn't need to both be male. Why not Toad and Toadette?

Or they should give you the option of changing the Toad's colors before you start each level. There's Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, Pink and probly a few more colors of Toads too.

I don't mind Blue Toad but Yellow Toad is ugly.

I hope they have a few unlockable characters too like maybe Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, imagine how cute they'd look with a Penguin Suit on :P
Or at least different unlockable options like just being able to play as Yoshi by himself and not have to ride on him, or like I said different colors for the Toads.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
also, since when can toad start using mario's suits??? that just isnt right. if they could use the suits, then they wouldnt need mario/luigi to go get princess.
Joeker96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Joeker96
Member since 2009 • 828 Posts

also, since when can toad start using mario's suits??? that just isnt right. if they could use the suits, then they wouldnt need mario/luigi to go get princess.da_chub

Congratulations, Shigeru Miyamoto has just read this comment and decided that the plumber is going to retire, he has decided that Toad is going to take up his place in the all new series, Super Toad brothers. :P

Anyway, being more serious this time in the official nintendo magazine when they reviewed it they said that the only 2 bad points with the game were that you couldn't continue to play as yoshi once a level ended and that there was a huge lack of playable characters, I think they should have definately sorted this one out, or at least changed the yellow toad to a real main-stream mario character, why couldn't they have included Luigi, Wario, Yoshi or even Toadette?

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

This is a pretty minor drawback for me, and if it's the worst thing about this game, I'll be well pleased with the game.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
The game will still be good, and I won't hesitate to pick it up. But yes, with four player available, they should have gone with the Super Mario Bros 2 line up (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad).
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

I know!!! Its just like with Super Mario World. What the heck, Nintendo? Why do I only get to play as Mario? I mean in Super Mario Brothers 2 I got to play as 4 different characters. Super Mario World ended up sucking big time and is universally hated for its lack of being able to play as Peach....

Come on guys. I could understand the frustration more if all the characters played differently like in SMB2 but they don't. They all seem to play exactly the same. You're all complaining about colors and shapes.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

At first I thought it was weird, but when I thought about it, it made sense. Princess shouldn't be playable, it's going to be a classic 2D style Mario game, that means you save princess, not play as her. And as for other characters (such as the ones in Mario Kart), well they don't fit the role in this game. You can't play a Kooper Trooper, they're bad guys in the series (you also might get him mixed up with other Koopa's), you can't play as a Kong (it's the Mushroom Kingdom, the Kong's got their place in MK only because of Donkey Kong the arcade game AND his body build is way too big), Yoshi you ride so you can't play as him. The baby's would not be fitting as you kind of are like them without a mushroom, and then when you get a mushroom, you'd be all giant baby like.

I could go on, the rest are either bad guys, or don't fit into the Mushroom Kingdom story. So now we have the two Toad's. Body build is the same as Mario & Luigi, they're on the same side as each other, they both want Peach back, and they are now playable. Makes sense to me.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

At first I thought it was weird, but when I thought about it, it made sense. Princess shouldn't be playable, it's going to be a classic 2D style Mario game, that means you save princess, not play as her. And as for other characters (such as the ones in Mario Kart), well they don't fit the role in this game. You can't play a Kooper Trooper, they're bad guys in the series (you also might get him mixed up with other Koopa's), you can't play as a Kong (it's the Mushroom Kingdom, the Kong's got their place in MK only because of Donkey Kong the arcade game AND his body build is way too big), Yoshi you ride so you can't play as him. The baby's would not be fitting as you kind of are like them without a mushroom, and then when you get a mushroom, you'd be all giant baby like.

I could go on, the rest are either bad guys, or don't fit into the Mushroom Kingdom story. So now we have the two Toad's. Body build is the same as Mario & Luigi, they're on the same side as each other, they both want Peach back, and they are now playable. Makes sense to me.

trugs26

Oh also, I must add that deficits play a role in this too. Like the Koopa reason, you or your co op buddies could get him mixed up with other bad guy Koopa's on screen, this could be applied to other characters such as the baby's, you (especially when small) could get mixed up with each other, Mario when small looks like Baby Mario etc. Another deficit would be size rendering, I know they used it as somewhat an excuse for Peach, but you have to make things down to the same size as each other, as players who are slightly bigger would mean that the whole games level design would be thrown out of whack, the larger character (or obscure sized character) could find glitches or get through the game easier (or possibly harder depending on context), and every time they build something, they would need to consider not just the standard Mario & Luigi size but Peach's stupid umbrella or DK's giant size or something.

I think all in all, when you rid of other characters and stick with 2 toads, you have less to think about in regards to contradiction (of why a character is here etc.) and level design, thus you don't have to think about petty little things and concentrate on the core experience. This is different to Mario Kart, that is where everyone is there to race each other, there is no bad guy or good guy really, everyone is against everyone in a race and there is 3 weight cla_sses for body types, so you can just chuck everyone in, while this game has other aspects going on.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aransom

I know!!! Its just like with Super Mario World. What the heck, Nintendo? Why do I only get to play as Mario? I mean in Super Mario Brothers 2 I got to play as 4 different characters. Super Mario World ended up sucking big time and is universally hated for its lack of being able to play as Peach....

Come on guys. I could understand the frustration more if all the characters played differently like in SMB2 but they don't. They all seem to play exactly the same. You're all complaining about colors and shapes.

Arc2012

Whew! The blasphemy in your first paragraph caused me to skim your second one. I'm glad I reread this post, because I almost made myself look like a total idiot by making a serious response to your sarcasm.

Arkk_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Arkk_Angel
Member since 2003 • 787 Posts
Gosh, I thought the biggest problem would've been the lack of wifi connectivity.
virus1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 virus1000
Member since 2009 • 10187 Posts

Wario and Waluigi instead of Toads 8)

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Gosh, I thought the biggest problem would've been the lack of wifi connectivity.Arkk_Angel

That's more of a letdown than a problem :P

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

*facepalm*

Does it REALLY matter if the characters look different?

They would all play the same!

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

*facepalm*

Does it REALLY matter if the characters look different?

They would all play the same!

Crazyguy105

Yup nd Miyamoto said they wanted peach but they would have done something due to her dress

maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#17 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts

They are bad guys, and the whole MK roster just would,t work cuz Mario and DK parted ways years ago.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

They are bad guys, and the whole MK roster just would,t work cuz Mario and DK parted ways years ago.

maverick_41
i just said similar, not the entire roster. the bad guys could be unlockables
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
personally I find it odd that it's more than mario and luigi. As toad is the generic dude in the koopa kingdom what else would you expect?
greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts
well, did they dismiss the part that there are unlockables? if not then.. we'll see besides, aren't there also toads helping you out in SMG? so... yea I think it makes sense...
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Not a problem at all to me, its a Mario game, all I want to play as is Mario, and Luigi, anyone else is just filler. Personally i don't understand why people are so hung up on the palette swap, its not like SMB2 where the different characters had different properties. And while Mario isn't exactly big on story, having Peach along to save Peach is pretty insulting to the player.
greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts
i just read.... Wario and Waluigi were made to be antagonists.... but hey, it's a platformer anyway... so i remembered Mario 64 DS, you can use them.... hmm, why not? but seeing that Wario's and Waluigi's names have "warui" (bad in Japanese) in them, I think citizens of Mushroom Kingdom fit the bill as being companions to save Princess Peach... she is their princess anyway.... but anyway, Toads or not, as long as Mario and Luigi are there, this game is still going to be fun...
hoop210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hoop210
Member since 2009 • 2049 Posts

[QUOTE="Arkk_Angel"]Gosh, I thought the biggest problem would've been the lack of wifi connectivity.J_Ford

So we are NOT able to play this online??!!

Arkk_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Arkk_Angel
Member since 2003 • 787 Posts
[QUOTE="hoop210"]

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]

Gosh, I thought the biggest problem would've been the lack of wifi connectivity.Arkk_Angel

That's correct. No online/wifi connectivity.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aransom

hoop210

The multiplayer looks like it could be really frustrating, if someone sucks and they keep dying. Lag would just compound the frustration.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="Arc2012"]

aransom

Whew! The blasphemy in your first paragraph caused me to skim your second one. I'm glad I reread this post, because I almost made myself look like a total idiot by making a serious response to your sarcasm.

Lol. Me too. I thought "Super Mario World" is universally hated? What! I was pretty mad until I eventually decided to read your second paragraph. Good use of sarcasm.