Price Drop and New Switch Model Unlikely, Company Focused On Sales and Mobile Gaming.

#1 Posted by Ovirew (8611 posts) -

Nintendo is standing firm with the company's current hardware offerings. Despite many rumors that the Switch may receive an enhanced model with improved battery life or a larger screen this year, President Shuntaro Furukawa maintains that there are no plans for a new version of the Switch at this time. As well, there are no plans for a price drop on the Switch.

Furukawa goes on to say that the company's main goal right now is to hit its lofty 2-year sales goal of 20 million Switch units shipped by the end of the fiscal year. Nintendo is also continuing to look into the mobile industry, which Furukawa admits the company is still really new to.

It's not the article I wanted to read, but it's not all bad.

Since I am planning on getting the Switch again, it makes me relieved to know a better model is not going to come along in the near future. It is still kind of early for a new model anyway.

I'm still disappointed by Nintendo's fascination with mobile.

And it would at least be nice to know whether the company will one day address some of the Switch's shortcomings on a revised model, but for now there is no answer to that. If I were to guess I'd say it will happen one of these years, since Nintendo seems to be supporting the Switch for the long haul. I just don't get why they haven't stopped supporting the 3DS yet?

Source

#2 Edited by KBFloYd (21367 posts) -

i remember they asked nintendo 1 month before e3 in 2014? if there would be a 3ds revision. they said no. a new 3ds revision was announced at e3 lol

nintendo be shady as ****.

if there is a revision cool if not im good. everything looks and plays nice to me.

#3 Posted by Ovirew (8611 posts) -

@KBFloYd: I'm happy with the Switch as is, but I do think the system would benefit from improvements in the next few years. More than anything it would be nice to see Nintendo keep third-party devs producing content of some sort for the Switch, but it's already a challenge when they want to make such power-hungry games.

#4 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18263 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

@KBFloYd: I'm happy with the Switch as is, but I do think the system would benefit from improvements in the next few years. More than anything it would be nice to see Nintendo keep third-party devs producing content of some sort for the Switch, but it's already a challenge when they want to make such power-hungry games.

Yeah, overall I'm pretty happy with the current Switch... but it would be nice to get an improved model with better battery life & maybe a bigger screen (by reducing the size of that damn bezel). Also a power increase would be nice. But this would be in a couple of years time to coincide with the next PS/Xbox launch.

#5 Posted by Speeny (1112 posts) -

I'm happy with what the console has to offer now. But some upgrades in the next 2 years would be nice. It's mainly just the battery life that annoys me.

#6 Edited by Mandzilla (3313 posts) -

Mobile-gaming isn't an inherently bad thing. The games are easy to develop, may produce new fans and attract them to pick up a console, all while bringing in revenue which can be put towards bigger projects.

#7 Posted by onesiphorus (2691 posts) -

A new Switch model that allows 1080p on handheld mode. A pie-in-the-sky wish for the new model to play games at 4K resolution.