Pokemon Sun and Moon updates are a let down so far...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pacific90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pacific90
Member since 2010 • 848 Posts

I am really bored with the news. We have the starters, legendaries, return of player customization, battle royale (who cares no one plays anything outside doubles or singles anyways). and Pokemon which feel like re-hashes. Nothing innovative or different has been shown.

We missed a sequel to XY for what? Better graphics!? How about including a trip back to Kalos since they announced Zygarde's new forms or does Z magically appear in this new region?

Also the new Pokedex idea with Rotom just seems silly as well.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Its a Pokemon game trying to be a Pokemon game, that's good enough for me.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

When it comes to Pokemon games, innovation is usually very gradual and sometimes it's not in the right direction.

Battle Royal sounds interesting though.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Nintendo4evar
Member since 2016 • 197 Posts

@pacific90: Guys, you have to admit some games and genre will basically never change, look at beat'em ups, RPGs, platformers and many others sure each game are vastly different from each other but they will always stay the same because of what you ask? The basic. In Mario unless you turn it into a rpg, racing game or whatever it's pretty difficult to change the formula because since the first game you basically said, "The goal of insert game here is to do insert objective here" When you made the first game what it is, it's hard to change the series because you already established what it is and pulling out the basic would kill what makes the game.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

If I understood the stage demo, you'll FINALLY be able to see Pokedex info in battle, such as types and weaknesses and such. As someone who didn't grow up with those games and doesn't have the entire type chart memorized, that kind of thing is a HUGE deal. I'll need to take a closer look, but it was the lack of that kind of thing in X/Y that kept me from finishing it.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@JordanElek said:

If I understood the stage demo, you'll FINALLY be able to see Pokedex info in battle, such as types and weaknesses and such. As someone who didn't grow up with those games and doesn't have the entire type chart memorized, that kind of thing is a HUGE deal. I'll need to take a closer look, but it was the lack of that kind of thing in X/Y that kept me from finishing it.

It will show you weaknesses during battle? As if the recent pokemon games weren't already way too easy...

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse: I think the "Not Very Effective" and "Super Effective" hints is more for convenience than ease. I mean, that information is already a google search away. It's convenient for children now that we're almost close to 1000 monsters. However, the information will not appear until you earn it by defeating the pokemon a first time. So there's still mystery when encountering a new pokemon you've never seen before and completely not knowing what type it is and what move is best to use on it, but now you don't need to memorize every single type weakness and type combinations and then ending up on Serebii to double check just to make sure lol.

-------------------------------

As for the topic, I think it was really bad timing on Nintendo's part. I found previous Sun & Moon announcements to be rather exciting, and there's still a lot of mystery yet to be shown, but it all turned out incredibly underwhelming to be shown next to a beast like Zelda.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@Toxic-Seahorse: I think the "Not Very Effective" and "Super Effective" hints is more for convenience than ease. I mean, that information is already a google search away. It's convenient for children now that we're almost close to 1000 monsters. However, the information will not appear until you earn it by defeating the pokemon a first time. So there's still mystery when encountering a new pokemon you've never seen before and completely not knowing what type it is and what move is best to use on it, but now you don't need to memorize every single type weakness and type combinations and then ending up on Serebii to double check just to make sure lol.

Thanks for confirming that. That is EXACTLY one of the things I was asking for out of the series, and I'm kind of amazed that they actually did it. I'll definitely be considering playing this iteration because of it.

And @Toxic-Seahorse, it's totally optional, on a separate screen during battle. If you want to play without it, you totally can. But I'll be looking forward to not needing a pokedex open next to me and tediously searching for each Pokemon just to take advantage of the cool systems in the game (that Pokemon fans keep telling me to ignore).

pacific90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pacific90
Member since 2010 • 848 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

-------------------------------

As for the topic, I think it was really bad timing on Nintendo's part. I found previous Sun & Moon announcements to be rather exciting, and there's still a lot of mystery yet to be shown, but it all turned out incredibly underwhelming to be shown next to a beast like Zelda.

This is the only cool feature I noticed. It seems as they are continuing to make playing the game easier. Honestly I was hoping being the twentieth anniversary game I was expecting something big like a return to Kanto or ffs at least a trip back to Kalos. But big news like that not out there makes me think it's not apart of the game.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

The series becoming too easy is a reason I haven't jump in. I understand the game is for kids first, but as an adult, I would like a difficulty mode that actually provides a challenge. And maybe zero restrictions where I want to explore. The newer pokemons looks less interesting to me as well.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#11 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:

The series becoming too easy is a reason I haven't jump in. I understand the game is for kids first, but as an adult, I would like a difficulty mode that actually provides a challenge. And maybe zero restrictions where I want to explore. The newer pokemons looks less interesting to me as well.

I'd definately enjoy a bigger challenge with the gyms and Elite Four/Champion. I walked through all five battles at the end of the story in X with essentially one pokemon. Almost never had to switch.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#12 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

Loading Video...
Loading Video...