Pikmin 3 is looking like a launch title for Wii U because,.... (rumor)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Nintendo is apparently (rumor) going to finally release New Play Control: Pikmin 2 on the Wii soon. My theory is that (and other people are saying this too) Nintendo wants to make people familiar with the Pikmin IP again with Pikmin 3 on the horizon. Even if this doesn't mean a Wii U launch release for Pikmin 3 it should mean development is going nicely enough to warrant release Pikmin 2 in the US to get more consumer attention for the IP. Rumor has it the May issue of Nintendo Power confirms that NPC Pikmin 2 will finally release in the states. This is very good news because 1. GameStop and online dealers charge $40+ for used copies 2. GameStop and online dealers can **** it and be forced to lower their prices a bit when the superior Wii version comes out. I imagine like most NPC titles this will retail for $29.99 brand new. It is odd to release another NPD so late in the generation, as odd as not releasing NPC Wind Waker or Sunshine but I take what I can get and I've never played Pikmin 2 despite everyone saying it's awesome. Pikmin 2 heading to North America on Wii
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Good news if true, I've been considering importing the 2nd since it released across the pond, maybe now I wont have to!

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I hope they have something like Metroid Prime Trilogy for Pikmin. I never played Pikmin and I would like a bundle of New Play Control Pikmin and New Play Control Pikmin 2.

I know I will probably get Pikmin 3 since I thought it was going to be a launch title for a whole year already.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts

never played a pikmin game, but i wouldn't mind trying one. even if its NPC. nintendo needs 1 more game i want and i'll consider rebuying a wii. or maybe i'll just buy a wii u when the time comes, provided it has BC.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

never played a pikmin game, but i wouldn't mind trying one. even if its NPC. nintendo needs 1 more game i want and i'll consider rebuying a wii. or maybe i'll just buy a wii u when the time comes, provided it has BC.

ChikaraShref

The Wii U does have Backwards Compatibility. Nintendo already mentioned that the Wii U is backwards compatible with all Wii software and hardware.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Its not odd that they didn't release a NPC Sunshine etc. The simple fact is that actual Wii software was proving to be far profitable and hence worth the effort. Look at it like this, Mario games for the Wii have sold over 40 million copies this gen, not a lot need for a NPC Sunshine. That's something to do when your in need of a bump in sales.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChikaraShref

[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

The Wii U does have Backwards Compatibility. Nintendo already mentioned that the Wii U is backwards compatible with all Wii software and hardware.

i'll just have to wait until they announce the price to see which i do then...
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChikaraShref
Its not odd that they didn't release a NPC Sunshine etc. The simple fact is that actual Wii software was proving to be far profitable and hence worth the effort. Look at it like this, Mario games for the Wii have sold over 40 million copies this gen, not a lot need for a NPC Sunshine. That's something to do when your in need of a bump in sales. Sepewrath
its already oversaturated with mario games. even though sunshine is a breath of fresh air. galaxy 1 was really good, but there was no reason for galaxy 2. they should've made a new setting/gimmick(not gimmick in the bad way) if they wanted another mario game. sorry, but i'm just sick of so many mario games.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I hope this means we will be able to play pikmin3 with the wiimote/nunchuck.

pikmin plays so well with the wiimote. I just don't see how it could play well on the tablet unless you played off the tv.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Its not odd that they didn't release a NPC Sunshine etc. The simple fact is that actual Wii software was proving to be far profitable and hence worth the effort. Look at it like this, Mario games for the Wii have sold over 40 million copies this gen, not a lot need for a NPC Sunshine. That's something to do when your in need of a bump in sales. ChikaraShref
its already oversaturated with mario games. even though sunshine is a breath of fresh air. galaxy 1 was really good, but there was no reason for galaxy 2. they should've made a new setting/gimmick(not gimmick in the bad way) if they wanted another mario game. sorry, but i'm just sick of so many mario games.

Well, it is odd there isn't NPC Wind Waker IMO. Considering it took 5 years in between Zeldas. But there is one obviously strong reason why NPC Sunshine would've made a lot of sense. Money. Sure, you don't have to revive Mario-anything. NPC was used to get consumer attention. I get that. But let's say NPC Mario Sunshine sells 2 million units, a rather small number compared to the Galaxy/NSMB games at $30. That's over $60 million in revenue from a single port with mild enhancements, which wouldn't have costed nearly 1/10th of that. It shocks me that they didn't because it would play better with IR aiming and it would have made boat loads of cash.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

pikmin plays so well with the wiimote. I just don't see how it could play well on the tablet unless you played off the tv.

goblaa

i actually think the tablet will probably innovate pikmin a lot more than the wiimote did.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

KBFloYd

i actually think the tablet will probably innovate pikmin a lot more than the wiimote did.

I don't see how though unless they totally change the game or make it play soely on the tablet and not on the tv.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

goblaa

I don't see how though unless they totally change the game or make it play soely on the tablet and not on the tv.

yes...i think they will totally change the controls.. but the game will of course play on the tv.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Its not odd that they didn't release a NPC Sunshine etc. The simple fact is that actual Wii software was proving to be far profitable and hence worth the effort. Look at it like this, Mario games for the Wii have sold over 40 million copies this gen, not a lot need for a NPC Sunshine. That's something to do when your in need of a bump in sales. ChikaraShref

I'm not sure what your point has to do with anything, to be honest. :? I still don't think Mario's frequency is as great this gen as it was last gen, where it seemed like a Mario title of some sort was coming out every half of the year. On top of that, you have to look at the fact that most of Mario's games have been selling extremely well on the Wii.

Anyways, I'm in agreement with Sepewrath here. The only value that the NPC games really had to begin with was to serve as place-holders whenever there needed to be downtime in Nintendo's software development for true Wii titles. There was really no need to re-release the likes of Wind Waker, Sunshine, etc. when the Wii had so much momentum from its key titles, which were becoming top-selling games for months at a time. Releasing too many NPC games would have looked really lazy on Nintendo's part.

As for Pikmin 3, if it's true that Pikmin 2 is finally being released in the US, it should serve as a gauge for the franchise's potential market before 3 is released more than anything else. I think this will be the reason why Nintendo would actually bother releasing the game at this point.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] its already oversaturated with mario games. even though sunshine is a breath of fresh air. galaxy 1 was really good, but there was no reason for galaxy 2. they should've made a new setting/gimmick(not gimmick in the bad way) if they wanted another mario game. sorry, but i'm just sick of so many mario games.

Completely disagree. Galaxy 2 was hands down the superior game, why? Because they didn't have to focus on the gimmick and instead poured all resources into level design. [QUOTE="bonesawisready5"] Well, it is odd there isn't NPC Wind Waker IMO. Considering it took 5 years in between Zeldas.

There's more to it than just cost. A SMS game could have adverted attention from the actual Wii Mario games, they make more money from the full priced Mario game than from the budget price NPC game. On top of that, those NPC games take a space in the release schedule, I guess they could have dropped it in 2008 when they had nothing at the end of the year, but other than that, there was no over perfect window. Its not like the GOW HD remake vs GOW 3, where there was a huge divide and a story. Sunshine could have been legitimate competition with the other Mario games. When it comes to Windwaker, Wii controls would add nothing, the same they added nothing to TP. And it could use M+ because a game has to be designed for that to use it well.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

Guys, it has been confirmed!!!

You won't believe how happy I am; I had been waiting for this for years! When I had completely lost hope... I see this:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/pikmin_2_finally_reaches_north_american_wiis_soon

New Play Control! Pikmin 2 is coming to America!!!

Hoennhyruleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hoennhyruleguy
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts

One of the cool things about Pikmin 2 was the licensed items you would collect, such as Duracell batteries. I feel like these licenses won't be present in the NPC version, which means I might just track down a GameCube copy instead. Regardless, I am happy this is finally being released in America. Long time coming.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Great news, i cant wait to play Pikmin 3 on Wii U.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

A must buy for this Pikmin fan. I already have Pikmin. NPC Pikmin, and Pikmin 2, but I can never have enough pikmin. Besides, Pikmin 2 is my favourite game of all time, so why wouldn't I want to play it in any form I can?

For those who haven't played Pikmin 2, this series is extremely unique and the second boasts perhaps the most gameplay content out of any Nintendo game ever made.

videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

Guys, it has been confirmed!!!

You won't believe how happy I am; I had been waiting for this for years! When I had completely lost hope... I see this:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/pikmin_2_finally_reaches_north_american_wiis_soon

New Play Control! Pikmin 2 is coming to America!!!

Rod90

The second was the best just THE DANG BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
About time, the one NPC game i wanted and it was the only one never released.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
About time, the one NPC game i wanted and it was the only one never released. meetroid8
All the NPC games were great, except DK Jungle Beat which made no sense.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sepewrath
People have said that Mario Tennis NPC didn't turn out too great.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Nintendo is apparently (rumor) going to finally release New Play Control: Pikmin 2 on the Wii soon. My theory is that (and other people are saying this too) Nintendo wants to make people familiar with the Pikmin IP again with Pikmin 3 on the horizon. Even if this doesn't mean a Wii U launch release for Pikmin 3 it should mean development is going nicely enough to warrant release Pikmin 2 in the US to get more consumer attention for the IP. Rumor has it the May issue of Nintendo Power confirms that NPC Pikmin 2 will finally release in the states. This is very good news because 1. GameStop and online dealers charge $40+ for used copies 2. GameStop and online dealers can **** it and be forced to lower their prices a bit when the superior Wii version comes out. I imagine like most NPC titles this will retail for $29.99 brand new. It is odd to release another NPD so late in the generation, as odd as not releasing NPC Wind Waker or Sunshine but I take what I can get and I've never played Pikmin 2 despite everyone saying it's awesome. Pikmin 2 heading to North America on Wiibonesawisready5

I believe it's going to be a launch title for the system as well, but we will have to wait until E3 to see for sure, but all signs point to it being a launch title for the system in my books.