People's opinion's on Pokemon B/W

This topic is locked from further discussion.

X_XSlashX_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 X_XSlashX_X
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

I noticed alot of people saying B/W wasn't as good as D/P/P. I'm just wondering why that is? I mean personally I loved it way better B/W way more. I felt it did alot of things that D/P/P should've did. Like for once having an actual story and making getting the 8 Gym Badges and defeating the Elite four more like a sidequest. Also being solely focused on the new pokemon until after the main quest then the old pokemon start showing up. I felt it made the game feel fresh like I actually had to learn about the new pokemon and what type they were and what moves they had. It overall made a great game and a huge step up from D/P/P. So why I ask why do people still say it's not as good?

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

It's probably better, but I say it's tied with plat because of some useful items, like the Pokeradar and the VS Seeker that fail to make an appearance in any way. At anyrate I'm sure Gray will blow 4th gen out of the water.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

i like B/W a lot more than D/P

but the pokemon a lot more ugly in B/W. only downside :P

Wrecked69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#4 Wrecked69
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts
I liked it far more than D/P. The story was far more engaging to me, and they made a decent amount of improvements to the formula. Gen 4 was my least favorite of all 5 :/
darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

I never beat Pearl so I can't totally knock the game. I only got to like the fourth gym and never beat it. Just got tired of the game.

But after 2 1/2 or so years, I got White on the first day without knowing too much about it and it absolutely reinvigorated my faith in the series.

There were lots of improvements like online trading being very easy and actually fun to do, the battles speeding up, the constant motion of the Pokemon in said battles and the unexpected great story that seemed like it was (for once) trying to compete with competant RPGs. I loved at least half of the Pokemon but I must say that some of the uninspired ones definitely make up most of what I didn't quite like about the game. But overall, I just loved it to pieces, felt that it was a fresh entry into the series and gave it a 10 here in my review. The only other Pokemon games I gave that score to were Gold and Silver (my favorite of the two).

I honestly think most people were dissatisfied with a lot of the Pokemon not being unique enough which by names, I must agree to a big extent. But there were tons of great Pokemon this generation too. I honestly don't see why a lot of people don't think this is one of the best (or the best) in the series. Cause it is!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Read my review for my opinion on the game(s).

Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
5th gen is absolutely better than 4th gen. Going back and playing 4th gen games, I wondered how I could wait through the speed of the battles. 5th gen speeds up so much it's not even funny. Add that to the improved story, the gym leaders actually having relevance outside of their badges, Cynthia returning, and the complete focus on the 5th gen Pokemon for the main story, and 5th gen is way better. Only thing I don't like is the lack of a Battle Frontier, and I wish I had a Vs. Seeker, but other than that I'm extremely happy with 5th gen.
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

I found that Black/White are miles ahead of D/P. I enjoyed the storyline in B/W much more. The pacing and speed of the game is a big improvement over D/P; battles run a lot faster (HP actually drains at a reasonably fast speed now). Aside from one of the bigger caves, I didn't feel like any part of the game was starting to drag on. The music is absolutely fantastic in B/W.

In terms of features, like Pixel mentioned above, it's missing some key features like the Vs. Seeker, Pokeradar, Gym Leader rematches and a full Battle Frontier. No doubt these will be added in a third version (Gray) similar to how Platinum improved on a lot of things in D/P. Despite missing some of these features, I found that B/W feel much more like a full game (like Platinum) compared to D/P.

One of my biggest problems with D/P is that the selection of wild Pokemon you found on the routes were very limited. Starly and Bidoof lines are found on pretty much every route for example. This was improved on greatly in Platinum and even more so in B/W because of the greater number of new Pokemon introduced. The Pokemon introduced in B/W are much better than the Gen 4 ones imo and there was always something new and unique on every route you went to.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Never played 4th gen games, but I can tell you that Black and White are great games. They start off very well, showcasing what truly made Pokemon so great over the years. The second half of the game runs out of steam though. I found routes to be relatively inconsistent; some are fun to walk through and are interesting, while others are short and boring, the ones that I wished matched up with the first half of the game. The towns in the first half are really fun, like Striaton and Castelia, the first city that is completely 3D.

Even then, I wish that there was more thought put into it. The second half results in the dreadfully boring Iccuris and Opelucid City. My opinion is slightly different from first day adopters because I started playing the game in the Winter, which is the worst season to start playing in. Can't wait for tomorrow.

The Pokemon aren't as bad as everyone says. You can skip the garbage just like every other gen and get the good ones. And they're all new, too, which is awesome. My biggest fault with the game is Unova itself. It's probably the smallest region in terms of walking around, considering they're so many bridges and the routes are tiny. Some cities like Opelucid are so lackluster it's mind boggling. But its biggest strengths is definetely its ambitions with what can be done and how they do it. Buy the game!

OH! And this game wins the award for "worst use of the bottom screen in the DS (especially in a sequel where the predecessors did it so well)."

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts
For me the 4th Gen pokemon was better than this gen own but otherwise i prefer B/W over D/P.Even though it didn't bring any huge changes to the series,stuff like the storyline(which is the best one yet),graphics,triple and rotation battles,C-gear,dreamworld etc all made the series a worthy installment imo
Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nubukon
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

The story in B/W was far more engaging than any previous generations' -- IMO, obviously.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Why? Pokemon designs. As simple as that.
Avatar image for lovetheblindone
lovetheblindone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lovetheblindone
Member since 2005 • 1733 Posts

I don't like how pixelated the battle sprites are.

Avatar image for NintendoLover69
NintendoLover69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NintendoLover69
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I like B/W better than D/P. I don't know why, but it reminds me of a new version of the old games. It sort of a combination of all the games.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

B/W and Platinum are pretty much tied for me... wait no, scratch that.
B/W>Platinum>>HG/SS>>>>>>>D/P
I just remembered that B/W introduced infinite TMs which makes any pokemon game better than Gens 1 - 4. :P

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
Objectively speaking, its probably the best pokemon game there is, but just because its the latest and has more content, but I've been playing these games since pokemon red, the last one i completed was emerald. Starting with D/P I grew tired of its formulaic nature and decided there was nothing more for me in those games, but nonetheless I gave B/W a chance and got bored on the second Gym badge.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rod90

I just remembered that B/W introduced infinite TMs which makes any pokemon game better than Gens 1 - 4. :P

ANIMEguy10034

It justs makes the game feel cheap.

Nubukon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nubukon
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]I just remembered that B/W introduced infinite TMs which makes any pokemon game better than Gens 1 - 4. :P

Rod90

It makes the game a little more accessible/less tedious for me.

xoFISHYox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xoFISHYox
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Black/White Were great games... all Pokemon games are fun :)
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

[QUOTE="Rod90"]

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]I just remembered that B/W introduced infinite TMs which makes any pokemon game better than Gens 1 - 4. :P

Nubukon

Seriously... have fun trading online every time you need a TM.

sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

[QUOTE="Nubukon"]

[QUOTE="Rod90"] It justs makes the game feel cheap.

Pixel-Perfect

Seriously... have fun trading online every time you need a TM.

Agreed. Reusable TMs FOREVER!

I do kinda miss Giga Drain though...

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

There are various improvements over d/p. I enjoy this version more with infinite tms, online battles, etc. No vs seeker and no rematch with gym leaders in the only donwside.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I love pokemon B/W. It's Story was by far the most interesting of any pokemon game I have ever played on an handheld. The battle speed is much higher so even the hard battles go by fast. I also liked most of the pokemon this gen as well.

The only thing I would want them to add to B/W is the Vs. Seeker, pokeradar, and that little thing in D/P/Pl that let you see how much your pokemon likes you. I mean I know B/W you can talk to this girl in some building and she will tell you how much your pokemon like you but it is a bit tidous to have to go to her each time you want to check that....Just saying.

But other than that B/W is a solid addition to the pokemon series. I would deffinently recomand it to anyone who likes pokemon or to anyone really.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#24 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts
Why? Pokemon designs. As simple as that.Rod90
You're pretty biased though. You never even touched Black or White......you just complain about how the Pokemon look which is sad, seeing as this was quite an excellent entry in more ways than one.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rod90
[QUOTE="Rod90"]Why? Pokemon designs. As simple as that.darksongbird
You're pretty biased though. You never even touched Black or White......you just complain about how the Pokemon look which is sad, seeing as this was quite an excellent entry in more ways than one.

Ugh... how many times do I have to say this? I rented Pokemon Black.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#26 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
It feels the same >_> except more boring. I dunno, just not as addictive as the ones before. Gameplay wise, it is much much better though. Yeah that kinda seems contradictory, what I mean is B/W feels just like D/P/Pt as far as Pokemon games go. But the infinite TMs, C-Gear, Pokecenter/mart and other nifty changes makes it better.