People are saying that the wii needs achievments.........

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for WiiAdventurer64
#1 Posted by WiiAdventurer64 (203 posts) -

but there wrong! Achievments does not make a game better! If the xbox 360 or ps3 didnt have achievments, you wouldnt evenhave said the wiineeds achievments. It's the quality that matters! Someday the achievments will over come the games and this is how it will be: there will be games that are long with 10,000,000 achievments but the gameplay will suck! WHO AGREES WITH ME!

#2 Posted by gameofthering (11276 posts) -

I don't really care about them TBH. Unless it's a game series I enjoy so much. (Resident Evil) Then I will decide to go after them.

#3 Posted by tommy--F (502 posts) -
While I don't quite share your level of passion on the issue, I do agree to an extent. We were just fine before achievements came along and I don't see them as a necessary part of gaming. If you're only playing games so you can tick every box on a checklist, then you're playing for the wrong reason. Games should be about having fun, simple as that.
#4 Posted by da_chub (3140 posts) -
First of all, i dont need my little gaming box to tell me "congrats, i beat something, give me my virtual trophy" Games have always had unlockables, concept art, new playable characters, new levels, songs, etc.... these are good enough for me. These are just the same as "achievements"
#5 Posted by Quilex (112 posts) -

I Don't think if you play to tick boxes your playing for the wrong reason, I presume that's enjoyable for you if that's what you do it's the same as trying to complete 100% some people are happy just to finish other want to do it all.

I don't see achevments as a bad thing although there is enough to keep me busy with my games without them.

#6 Posted by FamiBox (5481 posts) -

They're fun.

You'd all go nuts for them if the Wii got them.

#7 Posted by Litchie (24333 posts) -

First of all, i dont need my little gaming box to tell me "congrats, i beat something, give me my virtual trophy" Games have always had unlockables, concept art, new playable characters, new levels, songs, etc.... these are good enough for me. These are just the same as "achievements"da_chub
The same? Those things you listed you're actually able to use. Achievements can't be used for anything.

#8 Posted by Filthybastrd (7124 posts) -

Achievements were nice in Mass Effect where they worked a bit like how savegame+ has worked for a decade now :)

Other than that they're pretty much virtal pads on the back so you guys are not missing out on your Wii's....

#9 Posted by Conjuration (3562 posts) -

but there wrong! Achievments does not make a game better! If the xbox 360 or ps3 didnt have achievments, you wouldnt evenhave said the wiineeds achievments. It's the quality that matters! Someday the achievments will over come the games and this is how it will be: there will be games that are long with 10,000,000 achievments but the gameplay will suck! WHO AGREES WITH ME!

WiiAdventurer64

Achievements aren't necessary, I'll agree with you there. However, you can't deny it makes gaming alot more fun.
It's an addiction trying to get all the trophies you can. You can easily argue that trophies aren't requitred for Wii. But seeing as the other 2 have them, it's hard to argue that it shouldn't. It's fun having an account with a list of all your achievements. Plain and simple.

Basically I'm saying: The Wii should get some sort of achievement/trophy system. And the sooner the better.
But what Wii really needs right now is games. It really needs a AAA game. It's fading.

#10 Posted by snover2009 (1730 posts) -

achievements = unnecessary, but not bad by any means

#11 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5685 posts) -

the wii doesnt't need this imo , actually no console need this really , i dont care bout the trophies , i play a game only to so long as i want regardless if i even finish it , i just have so many games waiting in my collection to be playes/finished that i cannot stay long at one game anyways

#12 Posted by wiifan001 (18659 posts) -

WiiAdventurer64
agreed. If people want a console with achievements then go to another system because the Wii is not and will not be seen as a 360/PS3 clone! Besides, achievements do nothing except provide proof of bragging rights and raise some random number on your XBOX live account.
#13 Posted by haziqonfire (36350 posts) -

They're fun.

You'd all go nuts for them if the Wii got them.

FamiBox
No I wouldn't. I don't care for them on my 360 and I sure as hell would not care for them on the Wii.
#14 Posted by snipe12388 (442 posts) -
It would be better if you had a list of what you had done personally. Like what your best race times were, how many hits you scored on an enemy, etc. Acheivements on the 360 aren't exclusive. Everybody has the same ones. There is a site where it has some type of "achievement" system, but it is for any game. If something like that was on the Wii, it would be cool.