This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts

is it me or have it actually died down quite a bit after 4 years?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

People just want to forget it..people seems to want to equate Nintendo with quality..this is definitely not one. Its a game with glaring flaws..Sakamoto definitely should stay away from Metroid...he's old and getting senile. Any new Metroid game should be handle by someone else. :P

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

What @superbuuman said. People just want to forget it even happened. Hell, even Nintendo seems like they want to sweep it under the rug, given how you can find the game in bargain bins and Prime 3 still goes for around $30.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

People just stopped wanting to talk about it, whether they liked the game or not I think. Any conversations surrounding the game just were not fun to be involved in due to both sides being too defensive or emotional about it (This could be said for other polarizing games released this gen though. Lord knows there's been alot of that)

Personally though I never hated the game at all. It wouldn't even rank as one of my bottom 3 in the series. While the story was certainly flawed the gameplay was mostly enjoyable.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I'll talk about Other M with anyone who's willing. ;)

I found myself loving it after a couple playthroughs, once I rid myself of the notion that it was supposed to be a traditional Metroid game. It's one of the most enjoyable, most exciting, most tactile action games I've ever played.

If you learn the nuances of the action and fully use them, it's incredibly fun to play. Just play Zero Mission for a good traditional Metroid game.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#6 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I thought it was an all right game.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

I've always thought it was a good game. Not fantastically great game, but a good game none the less.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I played like ten minutes of the game and had no desire to continue. I don't see why Nintendo won't make another 2D Metroid game. I think it's safe to say that's what most fans want.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Other M was a good game. The only thing that caused it to hurt as much as it did was that Metroid is an incredibly highly ranked franchise. The game didn't hold up to the fans expectations because of how great the original Metroid and Prime series were. The game was good and didn't deserve half of the criticism thrown at it by the fans, but that's how it goes down these days. I enjoyed it.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I have not played it but Team Ninja without Tomonobu Itagaki is no good. I cant remember if he already left when this game was created but I believe so.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

I played like ten minutes of the game and had no desire to continue. I don't see why Nintendo won't make another 2D Metroid game. I think it's safe to say that's what most fans want.

Metroid other M is a 2D game.....

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

So it's a 2D game that somehow has 3D combat and exploration? News to me that that's a thing. I'm talking about a game like Super Metroid or a more open Metroid Fusion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JordanElek

@Jaysonguy said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Did you even play it? The camera is fixed on a rail, but you can run freely in three dimensions, not to mention the first-person aiming.

You must mean it's a 2D game as in not stereoscopic 3D, I see. Thanks for pointing that out, now we can play for crazy at home.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JordanElek

@farrell2k said:

Tactile, as in you have to touch buttons?

Exactly. Best button pressing EVER.

lol, tactile wasn't the right word. That's how I describe The Wonderful 101, and the feeling from Other M is pretty similar. It's a game that makes you feel like you're actually doing something. When you're using all of your skills in Other M, you're switching the controller back and forth constantly, dodging and aiming and shooting. It's physically frenetic and incredibly engrossing.

You don't HAVE to play the game like that, but if you do, it's a ton of fun.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

It's been four years already?!

It's a good game. It got a lot of undeserved hate during launch. I guess some of it was justified, but if you just look at it as its own game, then it's pretty good.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

I actually still own Other M.

For some reason, although I didn't dislike it, I just wasn't big on it. Plus, there was all the "where's waldo" parts scattered throughout the game which just seemed tossed in to utilize the first person mechanics in an "innovative" way.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

@JordanElek said:

@farrell2k said:

Tactile, as in you have to touch buttons?

Exactly. Best button pressing EVER.

lol, tactile wasn't the right word. That's how I describe The Wonderful 101, and the feeling from Other M is pretty similar. It's a game that makes you feel like you're actually doing something. When you're using all of your skills in Other M, you're switching the controller back and forth constantly, dodging and aiming and shooting. It's physically frenetic and incredibly engrossing.

You don't HAVE to play the game like that, but if you do, it's a ton of fun.

I've never heard of anyone playing while constantly switching between first and third person before. The mechanic always felt so clumsy to me, I never bothered unless I had to.

Other M's opening sections are terrible, particularly Sector 1. The visuals are atrocious, as much artistically as technically, Samus is slow and weak, so she's no fun to play as, the boss fights are all small and repetitive. It's the only part of the game that has any exploration or puzzle solving, but it does both in a monotonous, boring, linear manner. Any time I've tried replaying the game, I've had trouble forcing myself to get through those sections. Later on, when you're able to sprint from room to room, constantly dodging and firing and running, battling huge boss monsters, the game actually becomes very fun to play.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JordanElek
@meetroid8 said:

I've never heard of anyone playing while constantly switching between first and third person before. The mechanic always felt so clumsy to me, I never bothered unless I had to.

Oh man, if you ever get the urge to go back to that game, play on Hard and push yourself to really master the combat. Honestly, it's been too long for me to remember the specifics, but you can absolutely dominate enemies by combining missiles, dodging, regular shots, and whatever other tools you have.

Later on, when you're able to sprint from room to room, constantly dodging and firing and running, battling huge boss monsters, the game actually becomes very fun to play.

You can play a lot of that game in that way, though. The very beginning is kind of slow since you don't have the tools you need for fun combat yet, but once you get the basic stuff, you can start using those techniques well before you really need to.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
Loading Video...

AGeekyLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 AGeekyLink
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

I did not like that game at all. The simple fact that you have your weapons on you the entire time and can only activate them when told just felt wrong.

Plus the game felt empty. It's kinda hard to explain.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It was an okay game. It was a little experimental and had some nice ideas, but had too many missteps. Metroid deserves better.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Shielder7 said:
Loading Video...

Usually like their take ..but not this one..seems like he's pointing the finger at Team Ninja..eventhough the guy in charge was Sakamoto from Nintendo - he was responsible for plot & limiting controls to wiimote only. With that limit I thought Team Ninja did great with controls. :P

@trugs26 said:

It was an okay game. It was a little experimental and had some nice ideas, but had too many missteps. Metroid deserves better.

Agree..especially just coming after Prime series.