MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 MWright469
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

# We all have our personal favorite Zelda. Many people love Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, A Link to the Past, and sometimes even Windwaker (which for me is almost a tie with Oracle of Seasons, but I digress). One that is rarely mentioned is Oracle of Seasons/Ages, particularly Seasons. Now obviously, not as many people played OOC as the other, more popular titles, so most people will always think that games like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are the "best" Zelda games.

But, I have a different stance on the matter. In my opinion, Oracle of Seasons is quite possibly the most well-crafted Zelda ever. Here's why:

Number 1: The Controls

Although simplistic, the controls are excellent. The controls are responsive, easy to use, and the ability to map items to the two provided action buttons work effectively.

Number 2: The graphics

Obviously it isn't the best looking game in the series from a technical standpoint, for being a Gameboy Color game, Seasons is incredibly good looking. So good looking, in fact, that it puts many Gameboy Advance games to shame. Also, the art style is honestly quite good, very mellow and enchanting. Seeing the seasons change and their effects on the environment are awesome, and make the game feel 4x as big.

Number 3: Music

Again, limited by technology, but for what it has to work with, this game has some seriously good music. Classic 8-bit Zelda tuneage, but really some of the best. Also, sound effects are very well done.

Number 4: Combat

It's pretty similar to other 2D Zelda games, but the combat in this game is amazing. Aside from the feel of the combat itself, the actual abilities and weapons you have to fight with are what make the game awesome. Your slingshot lets you fire multiple types of projectiles, you can equip a shield to deflect attacks, you can change the combat area by changing the season, you can set things on fire, you can ride special creatures that help you in a fight, the list goes on.

Number 5: Exploration and collection

I feel like, in this Zelda in particular, more than any other Zelda, there are a lot of places to explore and things to do. In addition to your main quest, there are numerous side quests and mini games. Moreover, you can hunt for items you want, explore a bunch of places that aren't part of the main quest, search for the witch that drops free items, find special rings that give you new powers and have them appraised, plant trees and grow special nuts that give you items, have dueling matches, go mining for ores and items, interact with other characters, and a lot more. There is so much to do in this game that you could easily sink hundreds of hours into it trying to find uncover every secret and get every item.

Number 6: Boss battles and enemies

There are some seriously cool boss battles and enemies in this game. Especially considering the limited hardware, there are a diverse number of enemies, all which act different and somewhat intelligently, and the bosses are quite good. As Zelda games go, the enemies are pretty good here.

Number 7: Replayability

To be honest, most Zelda games don't leave much to do after the game is done. Sure, they all have side quests and extra items to find, but generally speaking, most of them are pretty linear. In the case of Seasons, you have a lot of additional things you can do long after the main quest comes to an end. You can link up with an Oracle of Ages user and get secret bonuses, you can collect dozens of magic rings and have them appraised, you can complete other quests, find hidden items, max your heart meter, etc. The amount you can see and do is really astonishing.

There are plenty of other reasons I could list, but I'm going on a bit here. What do you think of Seasons and what would you say is the best Zelda game?

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

User Lists: 0

#2 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

From what I seem to remember, Seasons was supposed to be lighter on the puzzle side of the gameplay and focus more on action and "physical" challenge; while Ages was supposed to be the opposite.

I always liked the concept behind Seasons better. Time-travelling had already been done by Ocarina of Time in wonderful fashion, so toying around with the seasons in order to clear the way to dungeons and see how the environment changes was a far more appealing and original mechanic.

However, I have always felt that Seasons did not use Link's season-shifting powers as well as Ages used his time-travelling ability. Ages, in spite of its already used core feature, surprised me far more than Seasons.

Still, both are excellent games! And when we think about it nowadays, it is unbelievably awesome that we got to fantastic handheld Zelda games on the very same day.

As for my favorite Zelda, I will take the boring answer and go with Ocarina.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Both the Oracle games are great, but Ages beats it out for me. Loved time traveling at will and what not. Although, let me be perfectly clear in saying that Tarm Ruins from Oracle of Seasons is one of my favorite themes in any game ever made. It sounds mysterious, but also sad in a nostalgic sort of way. I'm not sure why, but I always get goosebumps when I hear it.

However, to say you can sink hundreds of hours in any Zelda game is silly and wrong. I love the series but there's no way they are that long (unless you replay them a bunch of times, of course, but I'd imagine that each run through gets shorter and shorter, which means you'd have to play the games a **** ton of times.

Again, though, Zelda is my absolute favorite series, so length is never really an issue. The worlds are usually well crafted enough that I can get lost exploring them, doing nothing in particular.

My favorite game is Majora's Mask. Best story I've seen in a game (or rather, blending of storytelling, atmosphere and gameplay). It's my favorite game ever.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 GordanChoong
Member since 2014 • 227 Posts

My personal favourite Zelda game changed from time to time. At first it was Wind Waker; then it was Twilight Princess; now it is Skyward Sword. I don't know anything about the Oracle games except for the plot cause I read the actual mangas (yes, both hard-copy and online). But I heard that the Seasons game is much more interseting because just like Majora's Mask or Wind Waker or even Skyward Sword, it does something good by adding new elements without being too innovative or risky.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@gordanchoong said:

My personal favourite Zelda game changed from time to time. At first it was Wind Waker; then it was Twilight Princess; now it is Skyward Sword. I don't know anything about the Oracle games except for the plot cause I read the actual mangas (yes, both hard-copy and online). But I heard that the Seasons game is much more interseting because just like Majora's Mask or Wind Waker or even Skyward Sword, it does something good by adding new elements without being too innovative or risky.

If you've only played the 3D games in the series, you're SERIOUSLY missing out. Granted, Majora's Mask is the best one, but the 2D games, (especially the older ones) are all really great (with Phantom Hourglass being the exception). as far as the Oracle games go, they're basically pure Zelda. Very out of the way story, almost entirely focused on exploring the world and beating dungeons. They're both really great, as is the third Gameboy Color game, Link's Awakening (which is my personal fav 2D Zelda).

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GordanChoong

@turtlethetaffer I played the original Zelda, Zelda II, and Link's Awakening on an emulator, but I stopped after trying to beat the first dungeon of all of these games. :( Playing games on emulators just suck because of the layout of the keyboard and mouse controls!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I haven't played the Oracles games yet. IMO, it is very hard to compare the 2D games to the 3D games. They are so different that I would almost put them in different genres. I guess the DS games are more similar to the 3D games. I have not played the Oracle games, but my favorite 2D game of those that I have played is Minish Cap. I also really liked Link to the Past, but Minish Cap is just better. It has better characters, better combat, better dungeons, and better side quests.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I haven't played the Oracles games yet. IMO, it is very hard to compare the 2D games to the 3D games. They are so different that I would almost put them in different genres. I guess the DS games are more similar to the 3D games. I have not played the Oracle games, but my favorite 2D game of those that I have played is Minish Cap. I also really liked Link to the Past, but Minish Cap is just better. It has better characters, better combat, better dungeons, and better side quests.

Not to mention that Minish Cap has pretty much the absolute best production values on GBA. There were a ton of small details in the animation that made it really stand out. The only games that really compare are Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@gordanchoong: Then play the damn games legally. Get a 3DS, download the GBC games from the E shop. They're all like six bucks which is a steal. Plus they work really well with the circle pad (allows for precise movement).

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@gordanchoong: Please try to avoid mentioning emulators. Those type of discussions are prohibited here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually enjoyed Seasons more than Ages, but my memory's pretty foggy and I don't remember much of them. I should definitely go back and replay them some time.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

The 2d zeldas are spectacular thats for sure.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Wand of Gamelon will always hold a special place in our hearts.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GordanChoong
@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@gordanchoong: Please try to avoid mentioning emulators. Those type of discussions are prohibited here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually enjoyed Seasons more than Ages, but my memory's pretty foggy and I don't remember much of them. I should definitely go back and replay them some time.

Why can't I talk about them? It's not like I am telling others how to use or download emulators or something. Nor am I bragging or informing many about emulators to play retro games. Yes, I've read the terms of use but rules are meant to be broken sometimes right? Also, I'd rather get it for free then pay for something digital that has no monetary value whatsoever, as stated by Nintendo in the Wii, 3DS, and the WiiU Operations Manual. It's the same exact thing as throwing your money in the garbage, ripping it to shreds, burning it to ashes, or giving it to random strangers out in the street. No way am I going to pay for something that has no monetary value at all! I'd at least spend my money on smartphone and tablet games, which does have some monetary value to it! And since the actual hard copies are increasingly rarer to find and harder to work properly, emulators seem to be the best way to play outdated and old-school video games without any hassles. Just to tell you that Nintendo uses emulators to make Virtual Console possible, so don't you dare tell me that emulators are illegal!

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GordanChoong

@nini200 said:

Wand of Gamelon will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Wow, that just made my day! Watching the AVGN review these shitty games also made my day back then!

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@gordanchoong said:
@ANIMEguy10034 said:

Why can't I talk about them? It's not like I am telling others how to use or download emulators or something. Nor am I bragging or informing many about emulators to play retro games. Yes, I've read the terms of use but rules are meant to be broken sometimes right? Also, I'd rather get it for free then pay for something digital that has no monetary value whatsoever, as stated by Nintendo in the Wii, 3DS, and the WiiU Operations Manual. It's the same exact thing as throwing your money in the garbage, ripping it to shreds, burning it to ashes, or giving it to random strangers out in the street. No way am I going to pay for something that has no monetary value at all! I'd at least spend my money on smartphone and tablet games, which does have some monetary value to it! And since the actual hard copies are increasingly rarer to find and harder to work properly, emulators seem to be the best way to play outdated and old-school video games without any hassles. Just to tell you that Nintendo uses emulators to make Virtual Console possible, so don't you dare tell me that emulators are illegal!

Emulators are not illegal. Pirating games is illegal, which is what you're suggesting you're doing when you talk about getting them for free. That's considered stealing, and it's against the law. A website allowing its users to discuss committing crimes has the potential for that website to turn into a breeding ground for the promotion of illegal activity, which would be a major liability for Gamespot and not something that would be worth any risk when the people in question -- yourself -- are using this website for free.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GordanChoong

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@gordanchoong said:
@ANIMEguy10034 said:

Emulators are not illegal. Pirating games is illegal, which is what you're suggesting you're doing when you talk about getting them for free. That's considered stealing, and it's against the law. A website allowing its users to discuss committing crimes has the potential for that website to turn into a breeding ground for the promotion of illegal activity, which would be a major liability for Gamespot and not something that would be worth any risk when the people in question -- yourself -- are using this website for free.

Oh I'm sorry for hurting your feelings! Maybe they should've explained that clearly in the rules of these forums? You know alot of people pirate games, movies, books, music, etc., and still do not get in trouble for breaking the law, even though they can clearly be tracked down. I have done that in the past, although it was with games from the AppStore, which, unlike actual video/computer games, wasn't illegal at the time I did it as it only voids my Apple warranty. Now, however, it is considered illegal and could face punishment..

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GordanChoong

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Hey, why do you always have to "discipline" people of their actions on this forum? Are you a snitch or a troll? I can't tell simply by reading comments, unless I am able to see your expression on your face or your body language.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@gordanchoong said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Hey, why do you always have to "discipline" people of their actions on this forum? Are you a snitch or a troll? I can't tell simply by reading comments, unless I am able to see your expression on your face or your body language.

You're making some assumptions there, bud. You're asking why you can't talk about illegal activity. I answered you. But it's becoming kind of clear you're on the more unreasonable side, so I'm guessing it was a waste of my time.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@gordanchoong: You're stealing the games. You pay for the fun, not because they have "monetary value." I thought you always paid for fun with these things. Plus, why does something having monetary value matter? Are you telling me that you're never going to another movie because a used movie ticket has no monetary value??

Just pay for the games. If you download all three Gameboy Color games (Ages Seasons and Link's awakening) it should cost you about twenty bucks, which is a great deal for all those games.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#20 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Guys, the topic was created with the intention to discuss the Oracle games and the Zelda series.

Let's keep it on topic, please.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GordanChoong

@Pierst179:

Woah, you're like Slendermen, following me on this site wherever I go! But wait, another shadow lurks in the darkness. Why it's the National Security Agency, also known as the NSA!

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GordanChoong

@turtlethetaffer said:

@gordanchoong: You're stealing the games. You pay for the fun, not because they have "monetary value." I thought you always paid for fun with these things. Plus, why does something having monetary value matter? Are you telling me that you're never going to another movie because a used movie ticket has no monetary value??

Just pay for the games. If you download all three Gameboy Color games (Ages Seasons and Link's awakening) it should cost you about twenty bucks, which is a great deal for all those games.

I am not paying for outdated games with no monetary value, understand? Unless it's really recent or is amazing like OOT, I am not paying for it! Fine, I'll pay for the cartidge then the emulator version on the Wii or WiiU then if you're so damn pissed.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@gordanchoong said:

@Pierst179:

Woah, you're like Slendermen, following me on this site wherever I go! But wait, another shadow lurks in the darkness. Why it's the National Security Agency, also known as the NSA!

Face palm.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 turtlethetaffer

@gordanchoong said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

I am not paying for outdated games with no monetary value, understand? Unless it's really recent or is amazing like OOT, I am not paying for it! Fine, I'll pay for the cartidge then the emulator version on the Wii or WiiU then if you're so damn pissed.

I'll ask again. Are you never going to the movies again because the ticket stub holds no value?

Playing games should be about the fun, not being able to make a buck. Also, I'm not pissed, but the fact that these games are so cheap means that playing it on an emulator makes you little more than a thief. The games are six bucks a piece! That's chump change! That is less than an hour of work at a minimum wage job! And if you're old enough to know about and understand how to pirate games on emulators, you should have a job.

Mind you, all this came from your original post about how you couldn't finish Seasons because you didn't like Keyboard and mouse controls. To dismiss a game you pirated because you didn't like how it controlled is dumb. the games play like a dream on 3DS, you'd be amazed how well the circle pad pro works with the games.

Again, it seems like you're the one pissed here. I'm just saying that it's really silly to not buy a game because it 'has no real monetary value." A ton of entertaining things have no real monetary value. I love going to concerts, but ticket stubs are totally worthless. You go to enjoy live music, take in the atmosphere and have a good time, not because you will be able to re sell the ticket for a profit.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GordanChoong

@turtlethetaffer: I was ranting and trolling you, if you've never noticed.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@gordanchoong said:

@turtlethetaffer: I was ranting and trolling you, if you've never noticed.

You kind of suck at trolling, dude...

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

I always found the navigation on the early 2-D zelda games to be dreadful because of the top-down perspective, and the fact that you were given basically no information. Seasons and Ages were considerably better in this regard than Link's Awakening though, which the latter gave me fits as a kid.

I have countless reasons for my opinion on this but in my opinion 3-D zelda games > 2-D zelda games.

Season and Ages both had outstanding music and I will agree with you on that.

And is the TC trying to dismiss OoT as being the best Zelda game because that's the popular stance to have?!? That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#28 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I will never forget my first time going through the forest, (I'm shocked it's actually called Lost Woods) in Oracle of Seasons. That place was beautiful, the ost and seeing the seasons change.it was just so colorful and the shading was perfect. And this was all on GBC!! :o

smitherton4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By smitherton4
Member since 2014 • 67 Posts

Great game to be sure not my favorite, but it's up there.