Opinions on Metroid other M

This topic is locked from further discussion.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

I am a big metroid fan and im really looking forward to Metroid other M. as everyone probably knows by now, the game has been delayed to August 31 2010 for more polish i think. Nintendo has released many trialers for the game and i was wondering what GS users thoughts are on the game. what things do you like/dislike about it? what excites you the most about the upcoming game? do you think this is going to be better than previous metroid games including the prime series? what level of difficulty will it probably be?and whatever else you want to talk about the game.

-Almo SSBB

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I'm looking forward to it. I'm a fan of the older metroids more then the prime series. Other M looks like it's captureing the feel of the early metroids. I also like the job team ninja has done with the art direction. While some things in the prime series were ok others weren't. I hated the hunters and the art direction in prime. Some of it was pure garbage while some of it was realy cool. Super metrioid was perfect in every way.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 almossbb

I'm looking forward to it. I'm a fan of the older metroids more then the prime series. Other M looks like it's captureing the feel of the early metroids. I also like the job team ninja has done with the art direction. While some things in the prime series were ok others weren't. I hated the hunters and the art direction in prime. Some of it was pure garbage while some of it was realy cool. Super metrioid was perfect in every way.

jdc6305

i agree with you in almost every way excpet for the fact that i like all metroids including the primes a lot (the metroid prime series was a nice new twist to the franchise). My mostdisliked metroid game is probably hunters. Im replaying Super Metroid again and im loving it. And for me im not one to worry about the artwork in a game, im just looking for a game that has acceptable graphics and is awesome to play. Metroid other M is going to be an awesme revival or rebirth to the classic series.

-Almo SSBB

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

This another reason why I just bought a Wii. It looks like a bit of Prime mixed with classic Metroid, yet it has a fresh new look as well. I think Team Ninja is doing a great job based on what we have seen.

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

This another reason why I just bought a Wii. It looks like a bit of Prime mixed with classic Metroid, yet it has a fresh new look as well. I think Team Ninja is doing a great job based on what we have seen.

ironcreed

Welcome aboard! You picked an awesome year to get a Wii. Not only do we have some good titles coming out this year, but there is a nice back catalog of great Wii games you can catch up on (if you can pull yourself away from Monster Hunter 3). That's why I'm glad Other M was pushed back :)

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#6 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

What worries me most is the controls. You supposedly play it with the Wiimote held sideways (which isn't ideal already), having to point at the screen to go first person, which'd mean you can't move during those parts, which is annoying. I don't get why they don't just have you use the Nunchuck, seeing as the gameplay seems to be a bit too frantic to be played with a small D-Pad. The art direction could also use some work if it is to reach the same level of the Prime games.

Other than that, it looks to become a pretty awesome game, and I'm glad that they went for something different instead of trying to milk out the (amazing) Prime series.

canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

What worries me most is the controls. You supposedly play it with the Wiimote held sideways (which isn't ideal already), having to point at the screen to go first person, which'd mean you can't move during those parts, which is annoying. I don't get why they don't just have you use the Nunchuck, seeing as the gameplay seems to be a bit too frantic to be played with a small D-Pad.

DraugenCP

My thoughts exactly! The current control scheme really concerns me. It sounds awkward and cumbersome.

At the very least, they should give us a choice to play the game with a Wiimote and Nunchuk. I don't want to play this game with just the Wiimote.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Other M has an extremely high bar to fill. The Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of the best trilogies of all time and Metroid is one of the best franchises of all time. Nintendo wanted it to be in first person but Team Ninja wanted it in 3rd person, thus this happened. It's as if there was a lot of conflict and both sides decided to compromise or something.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I have not played a Metroid game since the original but this will be the jumping back on point for me. I am somewhat concerned about how the game looks right now and with the control configuration. Hoping the push back will ensure that this game comes out perfect.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

im not sold on it. where prime was ahead of the console curve by encorporating the story into the gameplay, other m seems about a decade late turning it into a cinematic storytelling style. the artstyle looks to be a downgrade too. none of it looks natural. prime really felt like you might be exploring an alien world. obviously there will be more to the game than what has been shown, but theres just not that feeling in other m.

im also looking to see how they do transitions from 3rd to 1st person. the prime series had a great combination of a camera shift and morphball animation that smoothed everything over. i dont think theres been anything in the other m trailers that shows how they plan to tackle this.

HawkEye1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HawkEye1997
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
it probabbly won't me as good as prime because I ain't a huge fan of the side-scroller ones(IMO)
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#12 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

Tri-Enforcer

Welcome aboard! You picked an awesome year to get a Wii. Not only do we have some good titles coming out this year, but there is a nice back catalog of great Wii games you can catch up on (if you can pull yourself away from Monster Hunter 3). That's why I'm glad Other M was pushed back :)

Thanks for the welcome, I really dig it so far. A lot more than I thought I would, to be honest. It is the breathe of fresh air that I needed and a welcome change of pace from only playing on the PS3 and 360. As you said, it provides a whole new library to explore and have fun with.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17882 Posts
i have 2 concerns 1) itll be too focused on action. metroid is supposed to be like a big zelda dungeon. a good amount of action but also quite a bit of exploration and discovering new things. 2) they will screw up the story and tarnish samus. messing around with a 20+ year old characters history may go down like a rat sammich. im also concerned that they game may be too story driven with lots of long FMVs. besides that.....it looks great. im looking forward to it. hopefulyl itll be a nice change of pace from the fantastic prime trilogy.
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

I'm super-amazed by this game. Even more excited about it than SMG2 because of its new and fresh style. I'm a huge fan of 2D games in general, actually I prefer them over the 3D ones. But I have to say that the Prime series (and SMG) changed that and now I love both types equally. Same goes for SMG over the other 3D Mario games because of its linearity resembling 2D games, bye-bye open worlds! Anyway, as much as I love the 2D gameplay approach in M:OM, I'm still excited to see how the perspective shift will work.

I loved the power-grip ability in previous 2D games alot and to see it here in action is great. From the gameplay trailer you can see that the classic environments are back, which I love. Space-station, Jungle, Fire world, Ice world etc. I totally like the control scheme M:OM has and by that I mean holding the Wiimote sideways just like an oldschool controler, it works great for 2D games. Also, the artstyle and anime cutscenes works for me. Another huge plus is the action and high pacing which I prefer over the slower - explore the world thing going on in Prime.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

im not sold on it. where prime was ahead of the console curve by encorporating the story into the gameplay, other m seems about a decade late turning it into a cinematic storytelling style. the artstyle looks to be a downgrade too. none of it looks natural. prime really felt like you might be exploring an alien world. obviously there will be more to the game than what has been shown, but theres just not that feeling in other m.

im also looking to see how they do transitions from 3rd to 1st person. the prime series had a great combination of a camera shift and morphball animation that smoothed everything over. i dont think theres been anything in the other m trailers that shows how they plan to tackle this.

LoG-Sacrament
Agreed. I'm not liking the story heavy focus this game has taken at all.
Cheesemanook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cheesemanook
Member since 2009 • 226 Posts

I enjoy Metroid on the nes, so I think I will try this out, seeing that they are going for the side scrolling perspective.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 almossbb

What worries me most is the controls. You supposedly play it with the Wiimote held sideways (which isn't ideal already), having to point at the screen to go first person, which'd mean you can't move during those parts, which is annoying. I don't get why they don't just have you use the Nunchuck, seeing as the gameplay seems to be a bit too frantic to be played with a small D-Pad. The art direction could also use some work if it is to reach the same level of the Prime games.

Other than that, it looks to become a pretty awesome game, and I'm glad that they went for something different instead of trying to milk out the (amazing) Prime series.

DraugenCP

i had the same thoughts, but i guess it will all work out in the end, i mean, i was also worried about the controls of metroid prime when it was coming out but it all worked out in the end.

fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

I'm confident in this game... yes there are a few hiccups right now (some problems mentioned with going from 3rd to 1st person, and some mediocre voice acting), but with this delay, Nintendo will make sure the game is great when it finally does come out. It's Metroid, it can't be bad.
except for hunters

Darthschneider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darthschneider
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts
I consider myself a metroid follower from early metroid days and I haven't beaten them all but still. One thing that caught my attention was the fact that they combined 2d with 3d and that made it look classic while still retaining some of the prime mechanics. I don't mean to compare but at some point in the trailer it looked like god of war you know where samus jumps to an enemy and starts like draining the energy well that made me think that it might had some beat em up mechanics and that got me excited bout this game. The controls is something that has been on my mind lately I still can't figure how can we do so much with the wii mote being held sideways, still I'm confident in nintendo because one f the thigns they are famous for is that none of it's games have difficult controls. I'll just wait and see
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

A little off topic: Does anyone know if the screw attack move will be in this game?

Zebradude911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zebradude911
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I'm personally buying this game. I'm going to be one of those who will be pushing and tackling others to get a copy. 8D

For the whole control scheme, I'm loving it. Apparently, Samus is going to automatically target the enemy closest to her (during the side-scrolling moments), and I really hope that works well. If that works correctly, it could be awesome. If it's screwed, then it could be the source of ultimate frustration.

And Samus SPEAKS. I need to hear more of her voice to determine whether or not I like our previously silent protagonist speaking.

But I'm definitely looking forward to this game.