Okamiden, why it's not on the wii >:O

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

i am kinda dissapointed with that, it can work on the wii

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Awesome tautological answer: Okamiden is not on the Wii because it's on the DS.

Reasoned answer: Okami was not was profitable as its publisher thought it would be, both on the PS2 and the Wii. Making DS games is considerably cheaper than making console games. Even if Okamiden sells half as much as Okami, it will be more profitable.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Because the DS is the perfect platform for this type of game.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Because no one bought it the first two times on the most popular consoles.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

goblaa
Sad and true :(
Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
I am proud to say that I actually purchased Okami for Wii NEW when it came out and was still $40. *sigh* we can only wish for another console Okami game in the future.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

Yeah, as has been said, Capcom wanted to reward Okami fans with a sequel, but they also want to try to make a decent profit, ergo a handheld release.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Also, the Okami makes sense on the DS with the stylus and all.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Awesome tautological answer: Okamiden is not on the Wii because it's on the DS.

Reasoned answer: Okami was not was profitable as its publisher thought it would be, both on the PS2 and the Wii. Making DS games is considerably cheaper than making console games. Even if Okamiden sells half as much as Okami, it will be more profitable.

LordQuorthon

Because the DS is the perfect platform for this type of game.

thedude-
I think this is all there is to it. If it weren't on the DS, I don't think it would exist at all.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

because the drawing might actually work with the stylus

Cheddarchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 105

#11 Cheddarchet
Member since 2006 • 375 Posts

I think Capcom also said in an interview that they hoped moving it to handhelds would put it in many more people's hands, sort of what happened when Monster Hunter originally moved from the PS2 (I think) to the PSP. It's popularity jumped, and it's now huge in Japan. So, yeah, I think they're hoping for something at least a little similar to that.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
in okami you use the powers of a magic brush. the closest thing to that is a pen, not a TV remote.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
The motion controls are very broken in Okami. The paintbrush had mass issues and the dodging maneuvers summarize nunchuk sensitivity. Okamiden will have a better chance.....
in okami you use the powers of a magic brush. the closest thing to that is a pen, not a TV remote.BrunoBRS
Actually this follows quite nicely.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]in okami you use the powers of a magic brush. the closest thing to that is a pen, not a TV remote.

this, the wii mote didn't work well at all. Ruined the game for me
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

goblaa
That would be my guess.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JuarN18

goblaa
Changing user bases every single game will not help the franchise either
contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
hope it does sell such a shame that okami did so poorly great game and a breath of fresh air from the repetitive mostly stagnant market we have right now. heres for a console sequel someday
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thedude-
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]The motion controls are very broken in Okami. The paintbrush had mass issues and the dodging maneuvers summarize nunchuk sensitivity. Okamiden will have a better chance.....
in okami you use the powers of a magic brush. the closest thing to that is a pen, not a TV remote.BrunoBRS

The nunchuk was unresponsive but the IR painting was perfectly fine once you knew how it worked.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JuarN18

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]The motion controls are very broken in Okami. The paintbrush had mass issues and the dodging maneuvers summarize nunchuk sensitivity. Okamiden will have a better chance.....[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]in okami you use the powers of a magic brush. the closest thing to that is a pen, not a TV remote.thedude-

The nunchuk was unresponsive but the IR painting was perfectly fine once you knew how it worked.

Not only that but you are using a D-pad for movement in the DS version :?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="wiifan001"] Actually this follows quite nicely.JuarN18

other M proved that the D-pad can be used in 3D environments... well at least it proved to me. and while the wii was responsive most of the time, i still remember spending 10 minutes trying to cross a name from the list >.>
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

other M proved that the D-pad can be used in 3D environments... well at least it proved to meBrunoBRS
Other M is different, though. Most of the movement is straight anyway, and the vast majority of the curved areas have auto-correct so that you don't have to do anything but hold up or down and it'll take the curves for you.

Okamiden is full 3D roaming, which could present some issues. Nothing major, probably, but it won't feel as tight as Other M. It also depends on camera control. If you can control the camera with the stylus using the lower screen, and if it stays locked directly behind you, then it could work just fine since you could make any minor direction adjustments with the stylus.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JuarN18

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

[QUOTE="thedude-"] The nunchuk was unresponsive but the IR painting was perfectly fine once you knew how it worked.BrunoBRS

other M proved that the D-pad can be used in 3D environments... well at least it proved to me. and while the wii was responsive most of the time, i still remember spending 10 minutes trying to cross a name from the list >.>

It worked in battles, also metroid other m had a fixed camera and auto aiming, okami is very different

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiifan001
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]The motion controls are very broken in Okami. The paintbrush had mass issues and the dodging maneuvers summarize nunchuk sensitivity. Okamiden will have a better chance.....[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]in okami you use the powers of a magic brush. the closest thing to that is a pen, not a TV remote.thedude-

Over and over: drawing bombs, circling plants and trees, the "infinity symbol". Those were all horribly done. There were other paintbrush issues but these stand out as the worst
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JuarN18

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="wiifan001"] Actually this follows quite nicely.wiifan001

Over and over: drawing bombs, circling plants and trees, the "infinity symbol". Those were all horribly done. There were other paintbrush issues but these stand out as the worst

not everyone had those problems the critic's score reflects just that

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="wiifan001"] Actually this follows quite nicely.JuarN18

Yes but the stylus will be the most ideal control for the paintbrush. You dont even need to pause the game.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiifan001

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="thedude-"] The nunchuk was unresponsive but the IR painting was perfectly fine once you knew how it worked.JuarN18

not everyone had those problems the critic's score reflects just that

Numbers should be taken out of the equation Okami is what I call a near perfect game. One big problem: Broken motion controls. Had the controls worked right, then I would have given Okami's biggest issues to mass frame rate issues. Fixed frame rate issues, and THEN I would call Okami: Perfect.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thedude-
[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="wiifan001"] Actually this follows quite nicely.wiifan001

I had no problem; utilizing the straight line button also really helps.
Avatar image for imbusydoctorwho
imbusydoctorwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 imbusydoctorwho
Member since 2010 • 193 Posts
painting with the wii is fustrating while the ds is easier
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]other M proved that the D-pad can be used in 3D environments... well at least it proved to meJordanElek

Other M is different, though. Most of the movement is straight anyway, and the vast majority of the curved areas have auto-correct so that you don't have to do anything but hold up or down and it'll take the curves for you.

Okamiden is full 3D roaming, which could present some issues. Nothing major, probably, but it won't feel as tight as Other M. It also depends on camera control. If you can control the camera with the stylus using the lower screen, and if it stays locked directly behind you, then it could work just fine since you could make any minor direction adjustments with the stylus.

ok different approach: i played it and it works :P most of the time the camera is top-down, like zelda, so D-pad controls shouldn't be an issue for anyone. @wiifan - i actually never had a problem with bombs... circling trees was 50/50, the infinity i'd be lucky if i managed to do it.
tkatlavendier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tkatlavendier
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I bought Okamiden for wii and have beat the game so many times. I STILL play it all the time and am very dissapointed that not only is the sequel Okamiden on Nintendo DS; I have to buy a nintendo DS just to play it. Id rather just have Okamiden on Wii instead of paying boatloads of money just to play one game.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BrunoBRS
dat revival.
PorkPie69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PorkPie69
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

On the DS, Okamiden felt like a complete game. Had the same (simplified) gameplay and graphics appeared on a Wii disc, Okamiden would have received terrible review scores. I loved playing through the Okamiden adventure on my trusty DS, but it would have felt like a weak and limited imitation of the original had it been released for the Wii. Also, the story setting was not changed enough in Okamiden, which was forgiveable on the DS (wow, Shinshu field looks pretty good and detailed on my DS), but it would have been primarily a letdown on the Wii.

I am very happy I got to play Okamiden, but I'd rather the next installment come in the form of a full featured home console game. Fingers crossed.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I was sad that it didn't get a console sequel. I hate hate HATE when console games get smaller scale handheld sequels. This, Valkyria games, Metal Gear Peace Walker, they anger me!