OK why are All the shooters WW2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

micallef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 micallef23
Member since 2005 • 520 Posts
why look at them all WW2 (except for mp3) why is there NOTHING else? re4 is awsome but after beating 3 times its not so exciting anymore.
mgs_maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 430

#2 mgs_maniac
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
why look at them all WW2 (except for mp3) why is there NOTHING else? re4 is awsome but after beating 3 times its not so exciting anymore.micallef23

3 Times?? But yeah not many wii Shooters
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
Um redsteel and Farcry as well asMP3 so that makes 3 compared to 2 available WW2 shooters. Tread failed mate.
micallef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 micallef23
Nah thats not what im talking about, look at fps on gamespot there are like 5 new WW2 serious please.
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts
You have a point there, but the upcoming MoH rivals the control cheme of Metroid Prime 3, and has 32 online multiplayer. Who cares WHERE it's set!
sardaukary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 sardaukary
Member since 2004 • 309 Posts
[QUOTE="micallef23"]why look at them all WW2 (except for mp3) why is there NOTHING else? re4 is awsome but after beating 3 times its not so exciting anymore.

RE4 is exceptionally bad ass! The controls feel so good it makes me sad that so few shooters are in the works :-( The Wii remote was built for FPSs.
micallef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 micallef23
[QUOTE="sardaukary"][QUOTE="micallef23"]why look at them all WW2 (except for mp3) why is there NOTHING else? re4 is awsome but after beating 3 times its not so exciting anymore.

RE4 is exceptionally bad ass! The controls feel so good it makes me sad that so few shooters are in the works :-( The Wii remote was built for FPSs.

yeah dude i know =( i love the wii :)
micallef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 micallef23
[QUOTE="sardaukary"][QUOTE="micallef23"]why look at them all WW2 (except for mp3) why is there NOTHING else? re4 is awsome but after beating 3 times its not so exciting anymore.

yeah dude i know =( i love the wii :)
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

Do you want a World War One shooter? You can sit in a trench. Someone yells, "gas!" and if you can't put on your gas mask fast enough, you die. Then your commander yells, "over the top, men!"and you run into no-man's land, and if you don't get made into hamburger by machine gun fire, or step on a landmine,you reach the enemy's trench, and they blow you away.

How about a Civil War shooter? You walk across a battlefield using a formation Napoleon invented (if you're playing as a Confederate you don't have any shoes), and your enemy blasts you with grapeshot. If you make it to the enemy line, they shoot you. Or you can surrender and spend the next four years starving in a disease ridden camp.

I think the main reason we have a lot of WWII games is that there are so many places a WWII game can take place. Also, WWII wasn't politically charged like Vietnam, and it wasn't a total blowout like the Gulf War. Plus, how old would a game get if you were using a musket, and you had to spend 30-60 seconds every time you wanted to reload it?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Well Metroid isn't a shooter and Resident Evil isn't a shooter so you have yet to play a shooter.

Asking why there's so many WW2 shooters is more of a industry question then just the Wii. Every single platform has their fill of shooters based on the second world war.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts
maybe so but realistic war shooters are not cool IMO. I'd rather play in a unique, sci-fi/fantasy environment. That's why Metroid>MoHH
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

maybe so but realistic war shooters are not cool IMO. I'd rather play in a unique, sci-fi/fantasy environment. That's why Metroid>MoHHwhoozwah

And that's your opinon and you have every right to it.

You're in the minority though. WW2 shooters are made because people buy them, if the sales weren't impressive for them they'd be gone a long time ago.

l8bitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 l8bitz
Member since 2004 • 3251 Posts
It's been that way since the begining of time, game developers just haven't become any more creative in the last 20 or so years...
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

It's been that way since the begining of time, game developers just haven't become any more creative in the last 20 or so years...l8bitz

Well it's more then that

WW2 was the last war that was globally acceptable. Since then all the wars that have gone on have had critics saying if it was really necessary. Hitler and the extermination of Jewish people makes WW2 easy to justify.

That's what handcuffs the industry right now. Sure there's been a few games in other settings but they just don't sell as well and in some games that portray the Gulf war or what we're doing in Iraq right now are just awful because the source material isn't even fully known.

l8bitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 l8bitz
Member since 2004 • 3251 Posts

[QUOTE="l8bitz"]It's been that way since the begining of time, game developers just haven't become any more creative in the last 20 or so years...Jaysonguy

Well it's more then that

WW2 was the last war that was globally acceptable. Since then all the wars that have gone on have had critics saying if it was really necessary. Hitler and the extermination of Jewish people makes WW2 easy to justify.

That's what handcuffs the industry right now. Sure there's been a few games in other settings but they just don't sell as well and in some games that portray the Gulf war or what we're doing in Iraq right now are just awful because the source material isn't even fully known.

At an rate though, there still are a ton of shooters out there that are not based on WWII. Take Unreal or Quake as examples, or maybe Half-Life and Far Cry. The real problem is that shooters acutally make up a small percentage of those who actually play video games.

Maybe 10% of people play FPS', so it's hard to make a game that does something new and different because the market isn't there. They know that WWII games sell fine, so that's where the market is. I just wish we'd see more games like Deus Ex (the original) come out...

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy
It would be nice
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
Because no one feels bad after shooting nazi's.
Djinnator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Djinnator
Member since 2007 • 645 Posts
like others have pointed out, WW2 was the biggest war which gives an extreme amount of content to deal with. And it is easy to just go aroundslaughtering naziswithout your parents questioning you morally.
Avatar image for Regginator14520
Regginator14520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Regginator14520
Member since 2006 • 1094 Posts
because it will take another 20 years to make sense of the war we are having now, whether it is the weapons of mass destruction that never existed, the whole controversy that surrounds 9/11 linking our own government to the event or democracy being forced fed to middle eastern people who hardly speak english an d don't know anything about our society. When a FPS comes out based in our modern times now, that will be interesting, especially if the government is portrayed as evil no good puppet masters.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Because no one feels bad after shooting nazi's.lycrof

Yeah, but then you have half the people playing as the Nazi's...unless you're playing against the computer.

I agree that there are too many of these WW2 FPS's, but the little boys need their fix. And with their anger issues, and their psychotic brains (I assume, as it's the only logical explanation as to why they would play these games non-stop), they will buy these games until they manage to grow out of it...or get sent to prison for murder one...or sent to a mental ward.

What can you do?

sonynhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 sonynhater
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts
thats probably all you have. from what i noticed is when people say the wii is the best, its only becuase thats all they have
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts
For the WW2, I have a theory. Since FPS are made by Americans, the WW2 was won by the Americans and their allies. It's only a matter of patriotism. I'd like to see a shooter about the Vietnam war. The Americans lost the war.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aransom
I'd like to see a shooter about the Vietnam war. The Americans lost the war. chris3116
If we lost the Vietnam war, we lost it in Washington DC, not Southeast Asia. Our forces won every battle there, but politicians tied their hands. We didn't even bomb North Vietnam until 1972. In 1973, the North gave up, and signed a peace treaty with us. Then they broke it in 1975 and the US congress hung South Vietnam out to dry. Saying we lost the Vietnam war because North Vietnam eventuallyconquered South Vietnam is like saying France lost WWI because Germany conquered France in 1940 (it just took Germany twenty years longer to break the Treaty of Versailles, than it took North Vietnam to break their treaty with us)
fred334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fred334
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts
WW2 is set in so many locations that is why they are set during that time period. I like the futuristic fps games myself.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aransom
A futuristic FPS has some advantages. A WWII game has to be at least slightly true to history. You can't have Germans flying B-29s, or Italians driving T-34s, or Soviet troops fighting in New Guinea,and call itan"authentic" game.
D7ok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 D7ok
Member since 2006 • 154 Posts
thats probably all you have. from what i noticed is when people say the wii is the best, its only becuase thats all they havesonynhater
what?
lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
they cant find anything orginal so they have to base a war game on one of the most influence wars of this time