Official 'I got a Wii' thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

worknds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 worknds
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
After waiting from Tuesday, 10pm to Wednesday, 8am I finally got my wii. I was the 16th person in line, with the first people arriving a whole day earlier. Wal-mart had 31 Wiis in stock yet 50 some showed up in line so the people that waited in line past the 31st person was quite mad. I was surprised that there were more old people than young people waiting in line, ready to buy their kids a Nintendo Wii. All in all it was a great experience because I met quite a few good people. As far as Wii gaming goes, it's not the best gaming system ever but it's definitely fun and different. My dad, a 69-year-old man decided he would give Wii bowling a shot, a guy who had never played a system in his life, and beat me by 100 points lol. I find it quite amazing how easily it is for people who have never played a console ever to just pick up and play and rule on it. The only game I purchased for it was Zelda, and though it is a great game, I am finding the controls still slightly hard to use. By the way all, some people were asking if you could get online with dialup and you indeed can. All you have to do is hook up a usb port into an ethernet adapter on your computer, turn on your internet and bam, instant connection and though it would seem the connection would be bad, it's not. __________________ I own these games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock, Excite Truck, Resident Evil 4, Need for Speed: Carbon, Wii Play, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Rampage: Total Destruction, Rapala's Fishing, Super Mario Galaxy, NFS: Pro Street, Metroid, Fire Emblem, RE: UC, Wii Sports, Ice Age 2, Elebits.
worknds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 worknds
[QUOTE="worknds"]After waiting from Tuesday, 10pm to Wednesday, 8am I finally got my wii. I was the 16th person in line, with the first people arriving a whole day earlier. Wal-mart had 31 Wiis in stock yet 50 some showed up in line so the people that waited in line past the 31st person was quite mad. I was surprised that there were more old people than young people waiting in line, ready to buy their kids a Nintendo Wii. All in all it was a great experience because I met quite a few good people. As far as Wii gaming goes, it's not the best gaming system ever but it's definitely fun and different. My dad, a 69-year-old man decided he would give Wii bowling a shot, a guy who had never played a system in his life, and beat me by 100 points lol. I find it quite amazing how easily it is for people who have never played a console ever to just pick up and play and rule on it. The only game I purchased for it was Zelda, and though it is a great game, I am finding the controls still slightly hard to use. By the way all, some people were asking if you could get online with dialup and you indeed can. All you have to do is hook up a usb port into an ethernet adapter on your computer, turn on your internet and bam, instant connection and though it would seem the connection would be bad, it's not. __________________ I own these games: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock, Excite Truck, Resident Evil 4, Need for Speed: Carbon, Wii Play, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Rampage: Total Destruction, Rapala's Fishing, Super Mario Galaxy, NFS: Pro Street, Metroid, Fire Emblem, RE: UC, Wii Sports, Ice Age 2, Elebits.

nintendo wii controllers
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

I got mine at Toys R Us a long time ago. I was the last person in the line to get one.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

The Walmart that I work for handed out tickets for electronic items which would have prevented those nineteen people from waiting in line for a product they would not receive. Not sure why all Walmarts did not do that.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was originally being developed for the Gamecube which is why the control scheme is not all that fantastic for Wii. Skyward Sword is coming next year and should be much better.

Glad you got a Wii. Hope you enjoy it.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I got Wii last Thursday on Thanksgiving. My wife got it for me for my Christmas present, but she couldn't wait to give it to me. Don't I have a great wife?

She got it for me brand new. I haven't had a system brand-new since the regular Nintendo in the 80s. All the rest have been bought used. It came with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort and Wii Motion Plus. She also got me Metroid: Other M with it. I went and traded in some stuff and got a Ethernet Adapter, Red Steel, and a point card which I used on Virtual Console for Mega Man 2 for NES, Super Star Soldier for TurboGrafx-16, and Lords of Thunder for TurboGrafx-16.

So far it's been a blast! Even the sports games, which I normally don't touch on other consoles.

bluescratch18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bluescratch18

I'm waiting for mine. Amazon had a deal on the 25th Mario anniversary model and I snatched it up. Basically they give a 50 dollar gift card with purchase. Anyway I haven't played my game cube since I got my widescreen TV, and I couldn't decide on which system to get. Came down to XBox 4 gig. Then I saw the deal on the Wii, and since it comes with Super Mario Bros. Wii and the gift card it's like a hundred bucks off in my book. It should be here Wednesday, but probably won't open it up until the weekend.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I got one off ebay in November 2006. 380 dollars. Worth it.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i went to circuit city in 2007... first place i called.. "do you have a wii? yes we do.. ok thanks" click

went down there and when iasked the person where the wiis where she said OMG yes we have some in the back*very excited*
i bought it and came home... then after i saw on the internet how hard the wii was to get..then i realized why they made a big dealout of it... :lol:

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts

mine is a launch day wii. called work said had to take dog to vet so i could preorder it lol. i still remeber that gamespot didnt have midnight release for some unknown reason.

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

I have a white wii bought a few years ago and i just got the red one a few weeks ago.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
just bought one yesterday at toys R us along with Donkey Kong Country Returns, The Wireless Wii Censor Bar and the HD Component cables. best investment ever. =D this is off topic but i have a question...where do you go to get yourself a *Friends Code*?
J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

I got one off ebay in November 2006. 380 dollars. Worth it.OreoMilkshake

How is paying $130 extra worth it?

That's an aweful deal.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]I got one off ebay in November 2006. 380 dollars. Worth it.J_Ford

How is paying $130 extra worth it?

That's an aweful deal.

Because finding a Wii in 2006 was like finding a plasma screen in 1950.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]just bought one yesterday at toys R us along with Donkey Kong Country Returns, The Wireless Wii Censor Bar and the HD Component cables. best investment ever. =D this is off topic but i have a question...where do you go to get yourself a *Friends Code*?

You already have it. Each wii has a friend code installed into the hard drive. Get to the Wii Menu and click on the bottom right corner. Then, on the bottom left corner, click the icon, not the calendar but the one next to it, and get to your "address book." There should a 16 binary (A-Z, 0-9) code on there. That is your friend code.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"] this is off topic but i have a question...where do you go to get yourself a *Friends Code*?

every game has it's own code, you'll see it where you add friends in the game. the console also has it's own code, but entering someones console code does not make them friends in all the games you both have. they must also be added to each game.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

I can't believe my wii console is 4 years old :shock:

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="teknic1200"][QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"] this is off topic but i have a question...where do you go to get yourself a *Friends Code*?

every game has it's own code, you'll see it where you add friends in the game. the console also has it's own code, but entering someones console code does not make them friends in all the games you both have. they must also be added to each game.

Some games use the Wii's friend code actually, but most don't.
focus97321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 focus97321
Member since 2004 • 351 Posts

I got mine about a month ago, the black one with the wii sports/resort bundle. I love the thing. There are sooo many games to get caught up on though, and with being a poor college student i am guessing its going to take me a long time to get all the games i want. My next purchase will probably be new super mario bros wii though. Looks like a GREAT game.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I got one off ebay in November 2006. 380 dollars. Worth it.OreoMilkshake

LOL me too! then I sold it....then I regretted it and bought one half a year ago or so. Never parting with it again :P. Skyward Sword will be worth it alone :D

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i got a white wii day one ,

preordered first person in line , first that left, hahah

thats my story i now have over 150 vc wii ware and retail combined wii games

i also got a red one on layaway for xmas this yr lol

off topic a little, i wonder where is top gear ,and stunt race , two games that need sequals , -and good ones, not you know

also i can not believe my wii still works from day one no disc problems yet my gc had hard time going in its 3rd year it started popping error messages unless the disc was new and stuff ,

my gc is only 5 yrs old lol i bought one of the last gcs on shelve

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

I remember getting my Wii at Launch. I was the 6th person in line and had preordered it, knowing it was going to sell out. I am so glad that I preorder hardware now a days.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I got my Wii in Hong Kong where there were a few Wiis available. At first I thought the controller was going to revolutionize gaming but then the games disappointed me. Slowly but surely, the games picked up and now I can't keep up. I love the Wii and it's controls, the only console that made me enjoy shooters.
o0Pwnzorz0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 o0Pwnzorz0o
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts
I went to Superstore(a large grocery store in canada) at like 6 in the morning, waited and other people showed up. I was the first and only person to get a wii lol. Sadly, my poor wii broke and now won't turn on. My mom has these things called shopper optimum points at this drug store, if she uses them she can get a wii basically for free.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NaveedLife

I remember getting my Wii at Launch. I was the 6th person in line and had preordered it, knowing it was going to sell out. I am so glad that I preorder hardware now a days.

Zanoh

I have never pre-ordered hardware. Is their ANY advantage? Or do you still have to wait in line?

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"] You already have it. Each wii has a friend code installed into the hard drive. Get to the Wii Menu and click on the bottom right corner. Then, on the bottom left corner, click the icon, not the calendar but the one next to it, and get to your "address book." There should a 16 binary (A-Z, 0-9) code on there. That is your friend code.

[QUOTE="teknic1200"][QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"] this is off topic but i have a question...where do you go to get yourself a *Friends Code*?

oh ok, thanks guys.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
I got my Wii in January 2007 at Zellers (Like Canada's Wal-Mart) and there were 2 left. I forgot my credit card in the car so I went to go get it (you can imagine I was really nervous becuase finding Wiis in stores back then was pretty rare) and when i got back, someone bought one of the Wiis and I took the second one. After about a year my Wii's disk drive made buzzing noises when it played a game so I sent it for repair once and Nintendo said they fixed it. After a couple weeks it started again, so I sent it to Nintendo a second time and they didn't do anything. So I bought a new one. Clearly I shouldn't have left my credit card in the car that January of 2007. -_-
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I bought my original one at launch, but during the spring donated it to a silent auction for Breast Cancer Research. Then a few months later went out and bought myself a black one. Can't live without my Wii.

Nintendofreakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nintendofreakx
Member since 2009 • 114 Posts

I got mine from walmart back on april 1st 2008. And no it wasn't an april fool joke either before anyone thinks that. :p

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

I got one for Christmas two years ago....*sigh* Good times. Good times.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zanoh

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

NaveedLife

I have never pre-ordered hardware. Is their ANY advantage? Or do you still have to wait in line?

Yes there are several advantages/

1. No hassle or waiting in line to pick one up

2. No calling around stores for availability (which a lot of people were trying to get the Wii)

3. No far off driving and spending on gas.

You get the idea.

thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thomasward00
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts

I bought the new Red Mario Wii when it was released, it's a family Christmas present. Myself and step sons are mainly PC gamers but if we get a console, it is always Nintendo.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

Zanoh

2. No calling around stores for availability (which a lot of people were trying to get the Wii)

You get the idea.

I guess I dont really get it. Do they have a certain number you can pre-order, then tons that you can't and is THAT why there are thousands of people standing in lines for their Wii, PS3, etc.? I guess I don't get why people are waiting in line if they could have pre-ordered them. I never bothered to pre-order a console before.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zanoh

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

You get the idea.

I guess I dont really get it. Do they have a certain number you can pre-order, then tons that you can't and is THAT why there are thousands of people standing in lines for their Wii, PS3, etc.? I guess I don't get why people are waiting in line if they could have pre-ordered them. I never bothered to pre-order a console before.

Stores do have limits. Hence the only time you need to wait in line and such is when they begin preorders, but you are guaranteed a system. So the hassle would be entirely eliminated. That's how I got my 60 gb PS3, Wii, and now the 3DS. :)