No GBA slot in 3DS o.O

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Buttonmasher111
Buttonmasher111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Buttonmasher111
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts

I've only just come to realise that the 3DS has no gba slot... and I have no idea why. I WAS going to get one so I could migrate pokemon and play all my old classics, but it turns out that nintendo don't want to make it backwards compatiable, no buy from me then....

walrein948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 walrein948
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

There wasn't one on the DSI either dude, it stopped after DS Lite.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

I hope you realise GBA are pretty old,and available via eShop now.

:/

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Wow, crying over 2 generation old backwards compatibility? :? You'll be fine :P

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Its been out for a year plus the DSi was out for quiet a long time before that with not GBA slot and your just now noticing? Its time to let it go.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I keep my SP around for that, although I wish I picked up a Micro on clearance a few years back.
ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

That's fine it's your choice just know that the DSi doesn't have the slot either. Also Black & White can't migrate pokemon from the GBA games so future generations won't be able to either. The GBA games will be available on the eShop and if you still want to play your decade old games then get a DS Lite or a Gameboy Advance

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I keep my SP around for that, although I wish I picked up a Micro on clearance a few years back.DJ_Lae
Micro is pretty slick. Picked mine up for about 50 bucks the screen is really bright and the image looks really sharp. It does have its flaws but still a good purchase.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts

I've only just come to realise that the 3DS has no gba slot... and I have no idea why. I WAS going to get one so I could migrate pokemon and play all my old classics, but it turns out that nintendo don't want to make it backwards compatiable, no buy from me then....

Buttonmasher111
Welcome to 2008, the last year the made a system with a GBA slot :roll:
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]I keep my SP around for that, although I wish I picked up a Micro on clearance a few years back.Kaze_no_Mirai
Micro is pretty slick. Picked mine up for about 50 bucks the screen is really bright and the image looks really sharp. It does have its flaws but still a good purchase.

Yea it's really nice and small. Got the famicom version in mint condition for $60 on ebay. Playing leafgreen on it now and I might nuzlocke ruby soon to.
ConstantCore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConstantCore
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Actually they aren't available on the eshop. Still waiting to be able to purchase Sacred Stones and Metroid Fusion...
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]I keep my SP around for that, although I wish I picked up a Micro on clearance a few years back.Kaze_no_Mirai

The GB micro is so f****** awesome.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]I keep my SP around for that, although I wish I picked up a Micro on clearance a few years back.Rod90

I preferred the last generation SP- same bright, backlit, ubersharp screen- same totally awesome clamshell design. And all without the ridiculously small screen. So awesome.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"] Micro is pretty slick. Picked mine up for about 50 bucks the screen is really bright and the image looks really sharp. It does have its flaws but still a good purchase.

I preferred the last generation SP- same bright, backlit, ubersharp screen- same totally awesome clamshell design. And all without the ridiculously small screen. So awesome.

Yep the screen is really small. When I first tried out my friend's one, i popped in mario bros 3 port and it seemed almost unplayable, but you get used to it after a while.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

I'm still mad that the Gamecube didn't have a N64 slot :P

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rod90

despa1r_fact0r
There were different times. Nowadays, dedicated backwards compatibility is a must.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 despa1r_fact0r
[QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]

Rod90
There were different times. Nowadays, dedicated backwards compatibility is a must.

Not really seeing as the PS2 fully played all PS1 games...it's not like Nintendo couldn't have put a cartridge slot where that handle thing is on the Gamecube :P (if you haven't noticed the emoticon means I'm joking) But to expect a current gen system to be backwards compatible with games from 2 gens prior isn't a must - that's why the hardware companies have a downloadable platform (like it or not)
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rod90
[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]

despa1r_fact0r

Not really seeing as the PS2 fully played all PS1 games...it's not like Nintendo couldn't have put a cartridge slot where that handle thing is on the Gamecube :P (if you haven't noticed the emoticon means I'm joking) But to expect a current gen system to be backwards compatible with games from 2 gens prior isn't a must - that's why the hardware companies have a downloadable platform (like it or not)

This may be a bit off-topc, but I find insulting the lack of GCN ports on the Wii U, specially considering that the ports are NEEDED to play some Wii games, like DDR.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"]There were different times. Nowadays, dedicated backwards compatibility is a must.

Only where it makes sense, though. Keeping compatibility with a bunch of different cartridge slots doesn't make any sense, nor would it make sense for Sony to dump a UMD drive into the Vita. It's a much easier prospect for CD/DVD/Blu-ray based systems, or those that rely significantly on digital downloads.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 despa1r_fact0r

[QUOTE="Rod90"]There were different times. Nowadays, dedicated backwards compatibility is a must.DJ_Lae
Only where it makes sense, though. Keeping compatibility with a bunch of different cartridge slots doesn't make any sense, nor would it make sense for Sony to dump a UMD drive into the Vita. It's a much easier prospect for CD/DVD/Blu-ray based systems, or those that rely significantly on digital downloads.

make perfect sense :P

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I hope you realise GBA are pretty old,and available via eShop now.GreekGameManiac
Not unless your 3DS is covered under the Ambassador Program. To make matters worse, Nintendo claims that they have no plans to release the 10 GBA titles to the public. Anyway, unless you want to play a game that uses the GBA slot for connectivity between GBA and DS games or uses a DS peripheral (like the Rumble Pak, the Space Invaders rotary dial, or the Guitar Hero: On Tour monstrosity of an attachment), I'd suggest just using an old GBA SP, in no small part due to the fact that it still has the Link Cable port (which no DS has).
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#22 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
That was pretty obscure! I never knew it didn't have one! :shock: [/sarcasm] Obvious, man :roll:
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
[QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]

Rod90

the companies are starting disagree with you started with the 360 only being able to player the newer xbox games , sony with the ps3 only 2 launch models had BC and vita with no umd port can only play psp games if they are digital, and even nintendo started it with the dsi lost the gba port. the only reason why i think why companies started backwards compatibility was more of a insurance clause for if there new systems failed then at least you should play last gen games.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Really? You'd expect a SNES slot in the GameCube too? There is no reason for it, you can get refurbed GBA's at GameStop for $30 now, or a Game Boy Player for $10. There is no need for it and you are a tiny niche market, I'm sorry. You should check out your local vintage game store or flea markets. But there is no need to bulk up the 3DS for the GBA slot.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]I hope you realise GBA are pretty old,and available via eShop now.NamelessPlayer
Not unless your 3DS is covered under the Ambassador Program. To make matters worse, Nintendo claims that they have no plans to release the 10 GBA titles to the public. Anyway, unless you want to play a game that uses the GBA slot for connectivity between GBA and DS games or uses a DS peripheral (like the Rumble Pak, the Space Invaders rotary dial, or the Guitar Hero: On Tour monstrosity of an attachment), I'd suggest just using an old GBA SP, in no small part due to the fact that it still has the Link Cable port (which no DS has).

1. Exclusive rewards- like preorder bonuses and the 3DS Ambassador program- ought to remain exclusive. When those things are handed out later, it makes it less important(not to mention less exclusive). It takes away the entire point of doing what it took to get them in the first place. 2. The Guitar Grip was probably the most impressive peripheral ever designed. It took a series that was based around a ridiculous console peripheral and successfully miniaturized it onto a handheld platform. Look at the PSP version of Rockband to see how it could've tanked in a bad way. Instead, it spawned 3 high-selling games, which included- in my opinion- some of the best tunes in the entire series(Stray Cat Strut, Youth Gone Wild, China Grove, We're Not Gonna Take It).
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#26 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

If there was a redesign w/ a GBA slot, I'd buy it day one. I don't think their will be but I would.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rod90
[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]

elbert_b_23

the companies are starting disagree with you started with the 360 only being able to player the newer xbox games , sony with the ps3 only 2 launch models had BC and vita with no umd port can only play psp games if they are digital, and even nintendo started it with the dsi lost the gba port. the only reason why i think why companies started backwards compatibility was more of a insurance clause for if there new systems failed then at least you should play last gen games.

And you OK with this tendency?
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#28 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I see backwards compatability as a bonus or a convenience. It definitely makes me more likely to buy something if I don't already have the previous generation but I purchase new systems for new games.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="elbert_b_23"][QUOTE="Rod90"] There were different times. Nowadays, dedicated backwards compatibility is a must.

And you OK with this tendency?

yes i am its funny but i have always supported BC but yet thinking about it i rarely if never use it
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

It's BC with DS and that's good enough. I feel that every system should at least by BC with previous generation. Anything beyond that is not a must but it'll be nice.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
Not sure if serious... That's like asking for the Wii to have a slot for N64 games...
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

just wait for the eshop virtual console to get all those old pokemon games.... maybe in a year...

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 YoshiYogurt

just wait for the eshop virtual console to get all those old pokemon games.... maybe in a year...

KBFloYd
Better than never, I might just have to replace the batteries in my old game if they never put them on.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"][QUOTE="Rod90"] There were different times. Nowadays, dedicated backwards compatibility is a must.

This may be a bit off-topc, but I find insulting the lack of GCN ports on the Wii U, specially considering that the ports are NEEDED to play some Wii games, like DDR.

I'm hoping they release a USB accessory that allows for Gamecube accessories. I understand leaving it off as it probably saves money and allows for more freedom with designing it but there are certain games (Smash Bros being a huge one) that somewhat require Gamecube controllers.
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
The real question is: What are they going to do after the 3DS? If they decide to create an entirely new line of systems, there will more than likely be NO backwards compatibility. Personally, this doesn't really bother me at all. I'll just spend a while beating all my DS/3DS games and waiting to make sure the new console is worth it.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 El_Zo1212o

The real question is: What are they going to do after the 3DS? If they decide to create an entirely new line of systems, there will more than likely be NO backwards compatibility. Personally, this doesn't really bother me at all. I'll just spend a while beating all my DS/3DS games and waiting to make sure the new console is worth it.TankZorz
I disagree- Gameboy Advance was the last in the Gameboy line and the DS was backward compatible with it. I have little doubt that the next Nintendo handheld will be backward compatible with 3DS games- if only in 2D mode, but I doubt even that will be the case. I think it more than likely that Nintendo will stick with the glasses-free 3D tech on their next handheld as well.

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
[QUOTE="TankZorz"]The real question is: What are they going to do after the 3DS? If they decide to create an entirely new line of systems, there will more than likely be NO backwards compatibility. Personally, this doesn't really bother me at all. I'll just spend a while beating all my DS/3DS games and waiting to make sure the new console is worth it.El_Zo1212o
I disagree- Gameboy Advance was the last in the Gameboy line and the DS was backward compatible with it. I have little doubt that the next Nintendo handheld will be backward compatible with 3DS games- if only in 2D mode, but I doubt even that will be the case. I think it more than likely that Nintendo will stick with the glasses-free tech on their next handheld as well.

But if they don't stick with 2 screens, it may not be possible to maintain backwards compatibility. That's kind of what I meant. That's not really the point though. Until something comes out, it's all pointless conjecture. Companies have been spoiling gamers for the last decade or so. The technology (cartridge design/capability, graphics, etc.) hasn't changed as much in the last few years as it did originally when things like the Atari and Commodore 64 were testing the use of different forms of storage media and graphical capabilities. That's partially what has allowed for backwards compatibility in recent years. Yes, the graphics keep getting better but many of the basic design elements and functions stay largely the same. Backwards compatibility is never guaranteed. Yes, it's nice when companies continue to support their old formats but there have always been breaks in that cycle.
Freeglader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Freeglader
Member since 2006 • 408 Posts

GBA slot isn't really necessary now, although it would be nice to still have access to the amazing GBA library easily.

I still keep my old DS lite around for pokemon :)

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
I tend to keep hold of all my old consoles, if I can, so I can play old games on them.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

We're not allowed to discuss or promote emulators in the Gamespot forums.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
Yes, just because Gamespot used to have R4 card advertisements on the bottom of the page doesn't mean they endorse speaking of them or similar things on their forum.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#43 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Any idiot can figure out how to use an emulator. Many do.