No full-screen or restore points

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VFXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VFXman
Member since 2004 • 2448 Posts

Why oh why nintendo?

I was pretty underwhelmed by the other five games you offered. And when i see no full-screen, then no restore points it really annoyed me.

I know people wana say "shut up its free crap", but i hope they update these games soon because i feel dissapointed.

I hope the gba titles will be better, Wario land 4 and LTtP!

Are you guys enjoying ur free games besides those problems?

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Hopefully the later released 'full' versions offer save states. As it is, with the way I play games (in short bursts and alternating various titles), the NES classics are useless. Also, they really need an option to swap buttons, as using B + A on the 3DS is really awkward for running in Mario.
VFXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VFXman
Member since 2004 • 2448 Posts

Hopefully the later released 'full' versions offer save states. As it is, with the way I play games (in short bursts and alternating various titles), the NES classics are useless. Also, they really need an option to swap buttons, as using B + A on the 3DS is really awkward for running in Mario.DJ_Lae

I agree 100%.

The first thing i thought when playing mario was the button set up I hate it soo much.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
I'm enjoying the games, and what do you mean by no full screen? Every VC titles has the edges cut off because they're not widescreen games, and the game would end up being stretched, and look funny. The games just in it's native resolution. I do agree that I wish there were save stations, and I hope that they do make the controls from B+A to Y+B, that would feel a lot more comfortable. Anyways I'm happy with the games, and I hope the GBA ones come soon.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Hopefully the later released 'full' versions offer save states. As it is, with the way I play games (in short bursts and alternating various titles), the NES classics are useless. Also, they really need an option to swap buttons, as using B + A on the 3DS is really awkward for running in Mario.

I can't believe they still haven't fixed this. This is also a problem in many Wii VC games if you use the Classic controller, making the controller all but worthless because of how hard it is to run and jump with the A B set up. How simple would it have been to fix this... come on Nintendo.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I can't believe they still haven't fixed this. This is also a problem in many Wii VC games if you use the Classic controller, making the controller all but worthless because of how hard it is to run and jump with the A B set up. How simple would it have been to fix this... come on Nintendo. DustinTheWind
Wait, it's not even an option on Wii NES games? Oh man, we'll probably never get the option to swap buttons then. I only have SNES VC games there, so I haven't gotten around to trying an older NES title.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DustinTheWind
[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"] I can't believe they still haven't fixed this. This is also a problem in many Wii VC games if you use the Classic controller, making the controller all but worthless because of how hard it is to run and jump with the A B set up. How simple would it have been to fix this... come on Nintendo. DJ_Lae
Wait, it's not even an option on Wii NES games? Oh man, we'll probably never get the option to swap buttons then. I only have SNES VC games there, so I haven't gotten around to trying an older NES title.

Yeah, I bought the Classic controller for Super Mario World I think it was, then tried it on SMB and SMB 3, the controls are as awkward (maybe even more so) than the 3DS layout. Pure laziness or stupidity on Nintendo's part. They had to have tested these games and realized this.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Hopefully the later released 'full' versions offer save states. As it is, with the way I play games (in short bursts and alternating various titles), the NES classics are useless. Also, they really need an option to swap buttons, as using B + A on the 3DS is really awkward for running in Mario.

Nintendo already stated that the full version of NES games will offer the same restore point feature that Gameboy/Gameboy Color games use. Also the 2 player simultaneous feature will be added. It still has the normal save state feature the Wii Virtual Console games have though. I agree about the button swaps though, that's just pure laziness again on Nintendo's part.
DARKNESSxEAGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 DARKNESSxEAGLE
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

Complaining about lack of state saves? State saves are pretty much cheats, they didn't have them back when the games were around on shelves. Though additional save options in Metroid would be welcome due to the password system being annoying. And fullscreen would also be very nice seeing how the two black bars go to waste on that big, wide screen. And they also have the emulation issues such as graphical errors and drops in frame rate as well as a lack of multiplayer, but as we all know; ninty will be adding them when they fully release the NES games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i have no problems with the a and b button placement...i play mario games just fine.. my thumb is double jointed..

the fullscreen i can live without.. it takes a decent amount of screen...but the restore points hurts.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

No need for the full-screen. It will make the game be stretched out and look more ugly. Those restore points can be a nice addition through.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4248 Posts

How in the world do you finish a metroid game with no save points :(

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
People, you CAN create suspend points... just press home and close the software, instead of turning the power off.
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4248 Posts
People, you CAN create suspend points... just press home and close the software, instead of turning the power off.Rod90
Did you mean hardware?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KBFloYd

People, you CAN create suspend points... just press home and close the software, instead of turning the power off.Rod90

really?

let me try that..

OMG... you are right..there is restore option.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"]People, you CAN create suspend points... just press home and close the software, instead of turning the power off.outworld222
Did you mean hardware?

Nope, I mean the game, not putting the system on sleep mode.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

If they were full screen, they would be distorted, so no thanks to that. I don't notice black bars on the side anyway because the black blends in with the black plastic. All you have to do is exit the game to create a restore point. I'm enjoying them so far. I hope that future updates will allow us to remap the buttons though.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlmightyDerek

[QUOTE="outworld222"][QUOTE="Rod90"]People, you CAN create suspend points... just press home and close the software, instead of turning the power off.Rod90
Did you mean hardware?

Nope, I mean the game, not putting the system on sleep mode.

Yeah the games have the same suspend mode that the Wii's virtual console has (actually GB/GBC games also have this). Just hit the home button and then hit close and it will save the game right there. These versions are just lacking the reloadable save state right now. Not sure why some people are having trouble figuring this out. Also I also noticed that the 3DS resolution of 400x240 for the top screen is the same vertical resolution of NES games. So the game is actually running in it's own native resolution (of course NES games weren't in widescreen so that explains the bars on the side). This makes the games look pretty nice unlike a gameboy and DS games which are stretched to fit the resolution.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#19 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa, what? No restore points? *facepalms* That's going to make playing Metroid on the go interesting....

EDIT: Guess I should have read the whole thread first. Ok, so it works just like the VC titles then. Go to the home menu, and then when I go back to the VC title, the game should resume like normal, right?

gamer_CNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamer_CNSK
Member since 2010 • 175 Posts
I wish I was enjoying the games.... thanks eshop errors.... I made a thread the other day about VC games and remapping the buttons. Its pretty unbelievable that isn't an option. You know that Nintendo knows Y-B is more comfortable by looking at how they set up the controls for NSMB on the DS.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KBFloYd

Whoa whoa whoa, what? No restore points? *facepalms* That's going to make playing Metroid on the go interesting....

EDIT: Guess I should have read the whole thread first. Ok, so it works just like the VC titles then. Go to the home menu, and then when I go back to the VC title, the game should resume like normal, right?

JustPlainLucas

correct..its just like wii VC..

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="outworld222"][QUOTE="Rod90"]People, you CAN create suspend points... just press home and close the software, instead of turning the power off.AlmightyDerek

Did you mean hardware?

Just hit the home button and then hit close and it will save the game right there. These versions are just lacking the reloadable save state right now. Not sure why some people are having trouble figuring this out.

Uh... maybe because people don't like to blindly end their game in the hopes that Nintendo randomly made it save even though they've never told consumers any such thing?
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

If they were full screen, they would be distorted, so no thanks to that. I don't notice black bars on the side anyway because the black blends in with the black plastic. All you have to do is exit the game to create a restore point. I'm enjoying them so far. I hope that future updates will allow us to remap the buttons though.

LovePotionNo9

Well Idc if it gets more pixelated I atleast want the option to make the picture bigger or stretch it out or something... I mean these are NES games.. they are so basic visually they won't look that weird

or at the very very least, I want some colorful border options like the gameboy advance player and Super Gameboy had bad in the day.. I hate the black bars.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlmightyDerek
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"]

[QUOTE="Rod90"] Did you mean hardware? DustinTheWind

Just hit the home button and then hit close and it will save the game right there. These versions are just lacking the reloadable save state right now. Not sure why some people are having trouble figuring this out.

Uh... maybe because people don't like to blindly end their game in the hopes that Nintendo randomly made it save even though they've never told consumers any such thing?

I guess. This is the same way every VC game has worked on both the Wii and 3DS. All you do is exit the game and return to the home menu. The only difference is the GB/GBC games have an extra restore feature on top of the ordinary suspend feature. Nintendo did state in interviews that this was the case and it is probably in the online menus these games have right now. Nintendo obviously rushed out this emulator and probably could have shed a little more light, but then again 3DS ambassadors are probably mostly people who normally keep up with things like this.