Nintendo's Gyro controls turned me into a shooter fan.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

So, my first experience with shooters was goldeneye on the n64 and i have to say i could never play it properly. i just can not use analog sticks to aim. i've tried and tried. maybe if i play a game on easy mode campaign its ok. but to play competetive? forget it.

This is why i never really cared for shooters or xbox and playstation controllers. when i first got a decent PC i thought welp..let me see how a mouse works for aiming. WOW i can aim! finally a control scheme that works. however over time i realized that though i am competent on mouse I am by no means a prodigy or super skilled at it. This means for many shooters online on PC i only do average.

But here comes this thing called the wii!? where you aim by moving your hand. i took to this right away. i was doing great on the wii call of duty games. i was having a blast. on wiiU gamepad splatoon had gyro which i also had tons of fun with. I realized that for me my aiming skills were the best on gyro controls. even better than mouse.

Today i was playing paladins and saw it had gyro aiming. i hopped on and had a hell of a time. i played all night. i wish every shooter used gyro. unfortunately the xbox and playstation controllers refuse to make it a feature :(. so i am limited to nintendo consoles.

Just want to say thank you to nintendo for gyro. my preferred control method for shooters?

Avatar image for outworld222
outworld222

3018

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3018 Posts

I played goldeneye, finished the single player campaign, but I was never good at the multiplayer campaign. Seems like my friends always had the best of me and I always lose.

Gyro might be easier. I never really played FPS games on Wii, but perhaps gyros make playing FPSs easier.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

@outworld222 said:

I played goldeneye, finished the single player campaign, but I was never good at the multiplayer campaign. Seems like my friends always had the best of me and I always lose.

Gyro might be easier. I never really played FPS games on Wii, but perhaps gyros make playing FPSs easier.

yea in goldeneye i was target practice.

i actually think the wiiu gamepad and the switch pro controller is actually better for gyro than the wiimote. with the wiimote you were dependent on putting the IR bar on the tv. the wiimote was a bit uncomfortable and overly sensitive too. i think having gyro in a an actual controller is more comfortable and works just as good. because you can also use the right stick to center yourself.

Avatar image for outworld222
outworld222

3018

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3018 Posts

@KBFloYd: yeah I’m in agreement. I remember The IR bar and wasn’t a fan. While it was ok to put on the bottom of the tv, any movement would be bad.

And about goldeneye, I was also target practice. People took this game so seriously back in the day. Lol.

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

15468

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15468 Posts

the first time i tried that kind of control method for a FPS was with the steam controller. its pretty nice alright. certainly beats having just an analogue stick.

Avatar image for Ovirew
Ovirew

9171

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#6 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

I'm not really a fan of gyro aiming, but sometimes I think it can be executed really well. I think the Wii managed it for the most part, the sensor bar helped.

I think with the Switch, I've seen too many issues with the joy-cons, and the system in general needs a good line of sight to any controller to work consistently well. I even have problems with my pro controller drifting from time to time. I know part of this is because I store my Switch in a cabinet, and not right out in the open.

I played Splatoon 2 with the joy-con aiming for a bit, but ultimately liked the more traditional controls better.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#7 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

@Ovirew said:

I'm not really a fan of gyro aiming, but sometimes I think it can be executed really well. I think the Wii managed it for the most part, the sensor bar helped.

I think with the Switch, I've seen too many issues with the joy-cons, and the system in general needs a good line of sight to any controller to work consistently well. I even have problems with my pro controller drifting from time to time. I know part of this is because I store my Switch in a cabinet, and not right out in the open.

I played Splatoon 2 with the joy-con aiming for a bit, but ultimately liked the more traditional controls better.

yes the majority of people prefer stick controls. i admit us gyro users are the minority.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

@osan0 said:

the first time i tried that kind of control method for a FPS was with the steam controller. its pretty nice alright. certainly beats having just an analogue stick.

i never tried the steam controller.

i think ill buy one. i am very curious.

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

15468

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15468 Posts

@KBFloYd: i definitely recommend it.

Just dont go in thinking it's like a 360 controller. It has a learning curve and to get the best out of it requires unlearning some habits from using a normal controller.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

11766

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 11766 Posts

I haven't tried it yet - which games support that? Doom does, yes?

I agree, I have never been able to flourish with analog sticks in shooters.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I haven't tried it yet - which games support that? Doom does, yes?

I agree, I have never been able to flourish with analog sticks in shooters.

switch shooters that support it are

splatoon 2

doom (yes)

wolfenstein 2

paladins

fortnite

daemon x machina (will have it)

warframe

resident evil revalations 1 and 2

Avatar image for sonic_spark
sonic_spark

5694

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#12 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5694 Posts

After I played Metroid Prime 3 on Wii, I had a real hard time with the dual analog. It felt clunky. In a time long ago I was really into Half-Life 2 and Counterstrike source with the M/Kb and I hated the dual analog - but I loved Halo so I got used to it.

But I do hope Metroid Prime 4 gives the option of the IR with gyro. It's the way to play on consoles if you ask me.

Avatar image for Ganados0
Ganados0

1074

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#13 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

Resident evil 4 on Wii was a blast, technically that was pointer controls but it worked great for the game, I was sad to see gyroscopic aiming hadn't been included for the recent Switch port.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

@Ganados0 said:

Resident evil 4 on Wii was a blast, technically that was pointer controls but it worked great for the game, I was sad to see gyroscopic aiming hadn't been included for the recent Switch port.

yea, i would have rebought re4 if it had it.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

@osan0 said:

@KBFloYd: i definitely recommend it.

Just dont go in thinking it's like a 360 controller. It has a learning curve and to get the best out of it requires unlearning some habits from using a normal controller.

bought the steam controller a few days ago. should arrive anyday now.

im excited to play pc shooters with gyro

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

15468

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15468 Posts

@KBFloYd: cool. Enjoy :). using the right trackpad for aiming may take a bit of getting used to but its quite good.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
KungfuKitten

26857

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#17 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26857 Posts

@sonic_spark said:

After I played Metroid Prime 3 on Wii, I had a real hard time with the dual analog. It felt clunky. In a time long ago I was really into Half-Life 2 and Counterstrike source with the M/Kb and I hated the dual analog - but I loved Halo so I got used to it.

But I do hope Metroid Prime 4 gives the option of the IR with gyro. It's the way to play on consoles if you ask me.

It would have to come with a battery powered infrared lightbar for it to work. Who knows ^__^

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#18 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

@osan0 said:

@KBFloYd: cool. Enjoy :). using the right trackpad for aiming may take a bit of getting used to but its quite good.

just spent an hour with the steam controller. you were right the right track pad is horrible for aiming even worse than an analog stick..lol

but guess what i saw steam big picture has an option to use my nintendo pro controller. after i spent an hour calibrating guess what? the switch pro controller works perfectly just like on the switch!

wow...i had no clue steam had this much support for console controllers.

ill have to sell off the steam controller.

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

15468

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15468 Posts

@KBFloYd: too sensitive or not sensitive enough? was it trying to mimick an analogue stick or was it more like a mouse trackpad?

the trackpad is really good for aiming and turning quickly: it just takes practice and will be very alien to someone who is very experienced with FPSs using a normal controller.

used in combination with gyro its a really accurate way to play FPSs. but check your controller settings for the game and i really recommend giving it more than an hour.

its like playing okami with the wiimote for the first time: initially I couldn't draw anything. but after a few hours i got the hang of it and over time i was drawing stuff faster and with more accuracy than i ever did with an analogue stick.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

21976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21976 Posts

@osan0 said:

@KBFloYd: too sensitive or not sensitive enough? was it trying to mimick an analogue stick or was it more like a mouse trackpad?

the trackpad is really good for aiming and turning quickly: it just takes practice and will be very alien to someone who is very experienced with FPSs using a normal controller.

used in combination with gyro its a really accurate way to play FPSs. but check your controller settings for the game and i really recommend giving it more than an hour.

its like playing okami with the wiimote for the first time: initially I couldn't draw anything. but after a few hours i got the hang of it and over time i was drawing stuff faster and with more accuracy than i ever did with an analogue stick.

my right thumb is retarded. thats why i cant use dual analog. i cant aim percisely with the right stick. i either push too much or too little.

the steam controller uses a pad but the problem is it still depends on your right thumb to be accurate. yes the steam controller has gyro so its better than playing on ps4/xbox. but the gyro is for percicion aiming. you still need the right track pad for when you need to move the camera in big spaces.

and for moving the camera in general area then i think thats where the analog stick works better for me.

the perfect way for me is using the right analog stick to move in the general direction then using gyro to percision aim. using the track pad to move in the general area felt far more challenging than an analog stick. it was either too sensitive or not enough. i spent a lot of furstrating time with it and im done.

i calibarted my switch pro controller and had ecxactly what i was looking for. playing gyro on PC exactly how i do on switch. i didnt know steam had gyro support and button mapping for console controllers.

Avatar image for dlist4ever
DList4ever

13

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#21 DList4ever
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

ZOMFG! I LOVEDthe gyro aim on the Wii!

It was quick and easy and intuitive for me to adapt to easily. Spouse otoh hated it with a fiery passion. Meanwhile I went from constantly face planting in FPS games to gorgeous head shots in ultra hard mode in about a week. lol.

I stillhave those games (and everything to play them) simply becausethey were so much fun, I still go back once in awhile bad graphic and all and pull one out: Metroid Prime trilogy, RE4, Conduit, etc, etc, etc.

Liked Revelations and, yeah, I was also sorely disappointed that RE4 lost it when it got ported. Glad I'm not alone in hoping that Nintendo puts out a few more games that support the gyro.