This topic is locked from further discussion.

enemylines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 enemylines
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts

I still own a phat and when i was trying to enter the security key it only took WEP. Is this a problem and will i ever be able to get the connection on it?

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

The DS for gaming only runs wep (lowest form of encryption) but still fine unless you have nerdy neighbors. The DSi runs stronger forms but even those aren't for the gaming I don't think. You'll be fine.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you currently have wireless in your house that's using another form of security? If you do, you probably are, as WEP is about as effective as using a paper bag as a condom. I'm not sure why Nintendo went that route to begin with, as WPA was available at the time. If you're planning on setting up a network, I'd say it's a problem, as you really don't to be using WEP if you're in an apartment building or condo or have houses nearby and are worried about people stealing your internet. Actually, I guess it is a problem either way.
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Just to point out, when I mentioned nerdy neighbors I was saying someone who would know enough to go out and find your network and hack in. Even then running your SSID helps as it doesn't show unless they know the name of your network. Finally, many routers have a range on them. If you live in a house and set wep you can more than likely set the range to 25 to 30 feet and your neighbors wouldn't get a strong enough signal to use unless they were in your yard or standing outside your house.

dsownge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 dsownge
Member since 2005 • 2393 Posts

WEP really sucks and i wonder why nintendo wanted to use it.