Nintendo owners...why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 riseneclipse
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts

Im trying to figure out why so many nintendo owners want so much change from the franchises that have brought nintendo to what it is today, and have continued to be played and enjoyed for years. i keep hearing things like lets change mario, metroid, zelda, etc. and i dont understand why. these franchises have always done great and are the best at what they do, why change them so drastically when you could just expand nintendo's wide library with a new great game? the reason im wondering is because i hear serious opinions like this: "Let's make a mario game with tons of weapons and blood." or "Let's have a futuristic Zelda with beam swords and guns." or even "Let's have a RTS metroid game, or a massive war between federation and space pirates." i mean sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but come on some of this is rediculous. why risk changing a great series when you could start a new one and make everyone happy, both fans of the first series and players that wanted something new?

now dont get me wrong, change is good, but so drastic that the game is hardly recognizable? case and point: Starfox Adventures. some people loved this game but for most faans of the series, it completely portrayed fox and his crew wrong, and it was a letdown. if you wanna make everyone happy, keep starfox strong, and make a new franchise with the futuristic adventure setting. (this post is not all about star fox tho).

anyways, /rant over, just had to say this

ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ECG_24
Member since 2008 • 1653 Posts
That's funny I usually hear just the opposite, fans that would rather play the same game over and over again.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts
Alright. If there really is someone who wants to make Zelda futuristic, you do not deserve to play video games. Same goes for Mario.:evil:
banzai_sword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 banzai_sword
Member since 2008 • 34 Posts

Ok, you have a strong topic. Nintendo is a great compony for keeping tradition. Let's take Zelda for example. The game franchise is more than 20 years old and follows the same format: Go to a bunch of dungeons to collect a certain artifact to gain power to destroy an evil lord (ganon, vatti). In the dungeon you usually find an item that will help you progress trough the game to areas you need to go to to get to the next dungeon or to fight the boss with.

That same format was used in virtually every Zelda game. Yes, it's very solid. No one can beat nintendo's way of crafting an adventure game like this. Sure developers try but usually fail, or come really close. Some people are tired of these things in Zelda and want something way way different that bends the franchise into a new genre, so they talk about it and word gets out about some great idea for a new Zelda. Two years later Nintendo make a new Zelda game, and it follows the exact same way to explore and play the game.

So in short, Nintendo doesn't want to radically change a game genre or gaming as a whole again.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's selfishness and not understanding gaming

That's all it is. No one cares that these are traditions and no one cares that this worked in the past and still work today.

People are too wrapped up in themselves that they think everything a console gets must meet their requirements or it's trash and they want a change.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts
Some if u can denounce as just stupid sometimes people say they want like a Mario game thats a free envierment where u get to shoot goombas and have sex with toad hoes. Those are just stupid people who want a GTA mod with the people replaced with mushroom kingdom chars. But then there are people with vaid changes like a futuristic Zelda. which is vaild. Zelda follows such a formulatic plot line anyway it wouldnt be a different game at all. I dont understand why die hard Zelda Fans are so against this its gunna have a slightly different twist on the same stupid plot anyway like all the rest of the Zelda games. So it'll end up being a great game. oh and if u think about it Metroids is the Furturistic Zelda game. look how good thoes are.
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 riseneclipse

what im saying is, Zelda isnt Zelda without the old time setting, swords, horses, bows, and older setting. why change that? if you want a new game where you have a futuristic setting thats adventurous and has laser swords or whatever, why not add a new franchise to the library instead of ruining something else?

but its good to see that people still want the originals. i just dont want to see nintendo change their best series' for a silly idea.

(P.S. how is metroid anything like zelda, besides it being an adventure?)

randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts
what will we come up with next.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

what im saying is, Zelda isnt Zelda without the old time setting, swords, horses, bows, and older setting. why change that? if you want a new game where you have a futuristic setting thats adventurous and has laser swords or whatever, why not add a new franchise to the library instead of ruining something else?

but its good to see that people still want the originals. i just dont want to see nintendo change their best series' for a silly idea.

(P.S. how is metroid anything like zelda, besides it being an adventure?)

riseneclipse

Zelda would be ruined in a futuristic setting it would be pretty much the same game almost so much of the same game there would be little point in doing it.Swords horse bows are now Lightsabers small ships and guns(like a light bow). It would be kinda like Star Ocean. And Metroid and Zelda have similarities. The stories are very different but the game play is similar. Metroids is very close to what a less linear futuristic Zelda would be

nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
I agree. There shouldn't be any changes to any games that are already successful the way they are. Some games have had changes and now are garbage like Sonic for example(this is coming from a Sonic fan). I would not want changes to my games that are fine the way they are.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
I don't see the need for radical changes, but new games (especially when in new gens) should innovate and expand on ideas of previous games. There's no point playing the same game over and over again, a game needs to be able to change and stay fresh, or else the series will just grow stale.
Master_Sword91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Sword91
Member since 2006 • 270 Posts
It's only natural to want change..it's part of who we are. If it wasn't for change we wouldn't even have a Wii. You can't blame someone for wanting Nintendo to change up their formula even if you do disagree with it. It's pure opinion and everyone will have a different one. It's Nintendo's job to decide how they are going to fulfill their consumers desire for change. It's part of life and business. Who knows maybe a slight change to the zelda formula will create something amazing.
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 riseneclipse

It's only natural to want change..it's part of who we are. If it wasn't for change we wouldn't even have a Wii. You can't blame someone for wanting Nintendo to change up their formula even if you do disagree with it. It's pure opinion and everyone will have a different one. It's Nintendo's job to decide how they are going to fulfill their consumers desire for change. It's part of life and business. Who knows maybe a slight change to the zelda formula will create something amazing.Master_Sword91

i agree, thats what im getting at. Nintendo should changes their games, as long as they stay true to what that particular game is. if they change mario kart to a simulation racer, thats a bit too much of a change and its not really mario kart anymore. but if they decide to do something like MKW where they added bikes and tricks, well, thats a good change, it kept the game being fun, and added a new element that kept it the same mario kart that the players love. (for the most part, i wont get into that ;P)

Master_Sword91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Master_Sword91

[QUOTE="Master_Sword91"]It's only natural to want change..it's part of who we are. If it wasn't for change we wouldn't even have a Wii. You can't blame someone for wanting Nintendo to change up their formula even if you do disagree with it. It's pure opinion and everyone will have a different one. It's Nintendo's job to decide how they are going to fulfill their consumers desire for change. It's part of life and business. Who knows maybe a slight change to the zelda formula will create something amazing.riseneclipse

i agree, thats what im getting at. Nintendo should changes their games, as long as they stay true to what that particular game is. if they change mario kart to a simulation racer, thats a bit too much of a change and its not really mario kart anymore. but if they decide to do something like MKW where they added bikes and tricks, well, thats a good change, it kept the game being fun, and added a new element that kept it the same mario kart that the players love. (for the most part, i wont get into that ;P)

Now the question for Nintendo is how to alter their franchise's formulas in a way that gives us something new and exciting but that doesn't change it so much that we can't recognize it and lose intrest in it. Hopefully this question will be answered at E3 this year. All we can do is wait and hope for the best

ECG_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ECG_24
Member since 2008 • 1653 Posts
Wind Waker had drastic changes but was still an awesome game. It depends on what it is and how it's handled, but i'm open to new ideas. Do you really want to play TP again when the next console Zelda game comes out? I loved Twilight Princess, but i'm even more excited for what Nintendo will has in store for us for the next installment in the franchise.
maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#16 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts

ive never heard ppl say that b4?

bruceylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bruceylee
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
wiis the best console today whoever has a wii and hates it is a idiot go buy a 360
kelseyxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 kelseyxo
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts
Wind Waker had drastic changes but was still an awesome game. It depends on what it is and how it's handled, but i'm open to new ideas. Do you really want to play TP again when the next console Zelda game comes out? I loved Twilight Princess, but i'm even more excited for what Nintendo will has in store for us for the next installment in the franchise. ECG_24
wind waker wasnt that much different than Oot except for it being cellshaded and the whole ocean thing. basically it was still the same: go to these dungeons, get these things, something big happens, go to these dungeons get these things, kill ganondorf. and thats good. if it was anything different it would ruin zelda. there can still be change and keep the same formula. examples: Wind Waker and Mario Galaxy. a mature mario or futuristic zelda is just stupid
riseneclipse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 riseneclipse

wiis the best console today whoever has a wii and hates it is a idiot go buy a 360bruceylee

who said they hate their wii? i love my wii, but im definetely worried about where its headed. the only thing i can do is hope nintendo continues to do what it has for all these years. i guess we'll just have to see what nintendo decides to do for E3

Master_Sword91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Sword91

wiis the best console today whoever has a wii and hates it is a idiot go buy a 360bruceylee

Just wondering but do you know that your avatar is from Gears of War which is a Xbox 360 game...

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

It's selfishness and not understanding gaming

That's all it is. No one cares that these are traditions and no one cares that this worked in the past and still work today.

People are too wrapped up in themselves that they think everything a console gets must meet their requirements or it's trash and they want a change.

Jaysonguy

Or they are just tired of playing the same game over and over again.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

[QUOTE="ECG_24"]Wind Waker had drastic changes but was still an awesome game. It depends on what it is and how it's handled, but i'm open to new ideas. Do you really want to play TP again when the next console Zelda game comes out? I loved Twilight Princess, but i'm even more excited for what Nintendo will has in store for us for the next installment in the franchise. kelseyxo
wind waker wasnt that much different than Oot except for it being cellshaded and the whole ocean thing. basically it was still the same: go to these dungeons, get these things, something big happens, go to these dungeons get these things, kill ganondorf. and thats good. if it was anything different it would ruin zelda. there can still be change and keep the same formula. examples: Wind Waker and Mario Galaxy. a mature mario or futuristic zelda is just stupid

Wind Waker is the perfect example of how to change a game but still keep it similar enough that long time fans will still like it. Like you said, all the classic Zelda elements are there. But they are presented in a way that had never been seen before. And the ocean part of the game was completely new to the series but it wasn't the whole game. The Zelda gameplay of going from location to location by travelling was still there. So basically what I'm trying to say here is that enough of the old elements that have made a series succesful need to be there but they don't always have to be the exact same. To use Zelda again as an example, one of the complaints people have it that the formula is always enter temple, find item, use item, defeat boss, repeat. I say to keep the game a Zelda game, dont change the formula, just change the parts of the formula. Have totally new items, maybe throw in a temple that isn't themed after some element, and perhaps a boss fight where you use more than just the item you found in the temple.

link_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 link_1000
Member since 2006 • 807 Posts

Im trying to figure out why so many nintendo owners want so much change from the franchises that have brought nintendo to what it is today, and have continued to be played and enjoyed for years. i keep hearing things like lets change mario, metroid, zelda, etc. and i dont understand why. these franchises have always done great and are the best at what they do, why change them so drastically when you could just expand nintendo's wide library with a new great game? the reason im wondering is because i hear serious opinions like this: "Let's make a mario game with tons of weapons and blood." or "Let's have a futuristic Zelda with beam swords and guns." or even "Let's have a RTS metroid game, or a massive war between federation and space pirates." i mean sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but come on some of this is rediculous. why risk changing a great series when you could start a new one and make everyone happy, both fans of the first series and players that wanted something new?

now dont get me wrong, change is good, but so drastic that the game is hardly recognizable? case and point: Starfox Adventures. some people loved this game but for most faans of the series, it completely portrayed fox and his crew wrong, and it was a letdown. if you wanna make everyone happy, keep starfox strong, and make a new franchise with the futuristic adventure setting. (this post is not all about star fox tho).

anyways, /rant over, just had to say this

riseneclipse

I partially agree with you; the problem is that the series are starting to become stale, just look at the most recent incarnations of the series'.

Twilight Princess - Essentially a terrible remake of OoT. This game has a ton of flaws and is vastly overrated. Porting it to wii dumbed it down and made it worse. The game is too big, too easy, has linear design, is 90% OoT just mushed together in a disorganized way, etc. Case in point, stale.

Mario Galaxy - Yeah it's definitely a lot of fun, and a vast improvement over terrible Sunshine, but again linear and predictable level design. The Wii remote really didn't save the game (Yeah! Let's wiggle the remote for EVERYTHING!) but the classic mario design - platforming and whatnot - saved it.

Mario Kart Wii - I loved it, but it is more of the same.

Brawl - Again, amazing game, but didn't have NEARLY as much replay value as Melee did, since it's just a souped-up Melee. Sure, there are a few extras, but nothing you couldn't not expect.

NSMB - Easy and took 95% of its ideas from Mario World and Mario 3. Shorter than both games, and the bosses were terrible. The game made it impossible to get a game over with the abundance of 1-ups.

So, while I do like keeping the franchises how they are, the newest iterations can't compete with the older games, like Zelda: A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Super Metroid, Mario 64, Mario Bros. 3, Melee....and the sad thing is the new stuff being added actually seems to be hurting the game (Dumbing down and wiimote in Twilight Princess, The lack of substantial new stuff in Brawl after 6 years, The attempt at more bosses and increased easiness in Mario, etc.)

So either, a complete revamp (Zelda needs it) or just go back to the classic feel - with increased difficulty as a key point. I'm sick of these ridiculously easy games!

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts
[QUOTE="riseneclipse"]

[QUOTE="Master_Sword91"]It's only natural to want change..it's part of who we are. If it wasn't for change we wouldn't even have a Wii. You can't blame someone for wanting Nintendo to change up their formula even if you do disagree with it. It's pure opinion and everyone will have a different one. It's Nintendo's job to decide how they are going to fulfill their consumers desire for change. It's part of life and business. Who knows maybe a slight change to the zelda formula will create something amazing.Master_Sword91

Now the question for Nintendo is how to alter their franchise's formulas in a way that gives us something new and exciting but that doesn't change it so much that we can't recognize it and lose intrest in it. Hopefully this question will be answered at E3 this year. All we can do is wait and hope for the best

Just go to the thread "The Next Zelda will be a ten if..." That may give you some ideas...