Nintendo moving away from games ironic

This topic is locked from further discussion.

owl777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 owl777
Member since 2007 • 145 Posts

Remember when nintendo said they didn't feel the need to have a DVD player built in the GC or Wii cause they focus strictly 100% on games, now they are embracing stuff like Wii-Fit, i mean "A" for effort but that really isnt a game, it's like an interactive excersise DVD, like excercise is healthy i go outside every day but, when i play Wii i just want to play games, it shouldn't be up to your video game console to take care of you, it should be yourself and consoles should be just games, as thats what everyone baught them for, i just feel like Wii Fit stole another games place at E3, very dissapointed, and we all love wii sports cause it came bundled with Wii! of course everyone will play it, but i havent touched it since january cause i like real games with depth. comments.

slimdog363

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 slimdog363
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
[QUOTE="quetzalcoatl45"]

You=Idiot

Discuss

Michael85

I second that motion.

with a vengence

yep

okay, so I couldn't find the exact pic that I was looking for but this will do (im sure everyone here knows the bit that Im talking about).

WINDWAKER1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 WINDWAKER1
Member since 2003 • 3397 Posts
He's got a point, and is certainly not an idiot. Wii fit was more of a training exercise video. I would have rather seen something else. oh, and this is the wii board, so everyone will flame you even if you bring up a good point.
volcomsk8r63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 volcomsk8r63
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

i dont understand how any gamer could be excited/pleased with wii fit, its not a game at all. i worry that nintendo is getting way too wrapped up in their quest to appeal to the casual gamer and leaving us all in the dust. does anyone else get sick to their stomach when every time they announce a new game its followed by something like, "even the casual gamer will be able to pick up and play this game" reggie said it with mario kart, its been said with galaxy, and even anouma when talking about the next zelda said that theyre working on making the zelda experience approachable to the casual gamer.

is anyone else worried?

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

Welcome to the future, software will become more and more varied.

AnAngryPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AnAngryPossum
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Keep in mind that their main goal is to make as much money as possible, and telling people they can lose weight simply by playing their silly game might actually work. In my opinion, with something like wiifit, if you don't like it, just don't buy it.
TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
LOL run on sentences EXTREME
Smogtoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Smogtoe
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts
First of all, Owl777 is not a loser just because he has an opinion. Windwaker1 has a great point, and my point is for all of you to step outside the box and open your eyes......Truly, take a long look at what Nintendo is trying to accomplish. Try to envision it; thereasoning....which is to get the gamer more involved (off the couch!) and to hit a broader demographic with innovation. This innovation could very well create the avalanche needed to break the mold. I can see the potential for this particular innovation to be integrated into other games, with the addition of the weight sensing balance board, and then throw in the Wii-mote! Voila! This mode of thinking that Nintendo uses, is very closely reminiscent to the strategy based element used in the board game chess. They think ahead several ideas, and then design based on what can be built off of. This genius is what has given so many great innovative games and peripherals over the years. Without the Gameboy, there would be no DS, and so on! Just think about it people, what the possibilities are.....We could very well see a console game in the near future that utilizes are very body movement for game play! Wake up out there!
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
I agree with Wintry, personally, my favorite console is probably the 360. However, would I hav prefered Nintendo just make a super powerful console with Mario in HD? No. Because of variety, I like how I can have shooters and stuff, but also some Wiisports, and Mario, etc. It just depends on what someone prefers, I prefer the more, "Hardcore"(Just quoting, I don't really think there's anything hardcore about action adventures, but everyone else thinks the M rating is hardcore, whatever) type games, others prefer other types, and that's why games are cool. However, I like the other types too, just not as much.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Wow. People really don't get nintendo at all.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
First of all, Owl777 is not a loser just because he has an opinion. Windwaker1 has a great point, and my point is for all of you to step outside the box and open your eyes......Truly, take a long look at what Nintendo is trying to accomplish. Try to envision it; thereasoning....which is to get the gamer more involved (off the couch!) and to hit a broader demographic with innovation. This innovation could very well create the avalanche needed to break the mold. I can see the potential for this particular innovation to be integrated into other games, with the addition of the weight sensing balance board, and then throw in the Wii-mote! Voila! This mode of thinking that Nintendo uses, is very closely reminiscent to the strategy based element used in the board game chess. They think ahead several ideas, and then design based on what can be built off of. This genius is what has given so many great innovative games and peripherals over the years. Without the Gameboy, there would be no DS, and so on! Just think about it people, what the possibilities are.....We could very well see a console game in the near future that utilizes are very body movement for game play! Wake up out there!Smogtoe
I agree, you actually made a really good point. I think of the game, Police 911 or something like that, arcade shooter, you use a gun to shoot, but your body to move and duck and stuff, what I like about the game is, I feel involved. Sometimes, I want to play games that have me just sit down and play, most games are like that, but few games, like the one I mentioned, will feel a lot more fun, because I interact with it, I'm not only directing a series of events in a game like on the 360 and PS3, but I am interacting with it, playing a sport, performing an activity, instead of being a mere director, I become an actor.
Peter_Darkstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Peter_Darkstar
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts

lol, why would you call this guy an idiot for voicing his opinion on a product that looks extremely dull and not really a game at all? I buy video game consoles to play video games, not to do step aerobics and yoga.

Are there other possibilities for the pressure pad? Sure. But it doesn't mean I want to be forced to stand up and dance around everytime I play a game.

If anything WiiFit will make people who would have never owned a video console in their life consider picking up a console... and then again, how does having people who don't play traditional games good for people that like normal games? I imagine to see a horde of gimicky games to utilize the new pad in place of more traditional nintendo games.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

You still don't understand that WiiFit is for the people who bought the Wii for WiiSports. That's it. It will sell the console. I'm not worried about that. Nintendo is doing what Microsoft and Sony failed. Bring the mass. They still want the hardcore but they want the non-gamers as well. Also, Casual games are not the same as the non-gamers games.

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Wiifit also has the potential to be sold in schools, hospitals and other medical areas for rehabilitation as well as get people to exorcise. One of the hardest issues with exercise is getting people in it and then make them commit. Wiifit could very well be a major step in getting people devoted to an exercise routine.

They are also adding a lot of game modes to wiifit so you will have a gaming expierence with it. You know how some schools are using DDR? Imagine them using wiifit, wiisports, and any DDR game that came out for the wii. Do you know how effective that would be in advertising the wii?

Schools in Japan use the DS for instance with certain DS software. Ever wonder why over 150,000 DSs each week are sold in Japan that is one of the reasons. Kids get exposed to it using it as a school tool and the parents then seeing an improvement in the school work buy the DS with those eduatiment titles to practice on at home. Then come the game sales.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

i dont understand how any gamer could be excited/pleased with wii fit, its not a game at all. i worry that nintendo is getting way too wrapped up in their quest to appeal to the casual gamer and leaving us all in the dust. does anyone else get sick to their stomach when every time they announce a new game its followed by something like, "even the casual gamer will be able to pick up and play this game" reggie said it with mario kart, its been said with galaxy, and even anouma when talking about the next zelda said that theyre working on making the zelda experience approachable to the casual gamer.

is anyone else worried?

volcomsk8r63

Hopefully the "casual gamer" thing, for Mario Kart. Will stay with the easy use of the controller (which looks awesome IMO).

I will hate Nintendo for along time if they go ahead and do it to the next Zelda. TP already tried that IMO, I beat it hardcore over the weekend, leaving me with nothing else to do in the game.

I still sit down and play older games like OOT, and have tons of fun finding new little things. TP was also too big. It lacked NPC conversation content. Sidequests, and stuff to look and do, when you were running around the big, open, but empty world.

alexgangur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 alexgangur
Member since 2004 • 406 Posts
[QUOTE="volcomsk8r63"]

is anyone else worried?

Relys

I will hate Nintendo for along time if they go ahead and do it to the next Zelda. TP already tried that IMO...

I still sit down and play older games like OOT, and have tons of fun finding new little things. TP was also too big. It lacked NPC conversation content. Sidequests, and stuff to look and do, when you were running around the big, open, but empty world.

I think I love you.

Say you loved MM, then I'll love you even more! :)

...Sorry, I'm just sick of all the people who swear that TP was the epitome of the Zelda franchise.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Why complain when WiiFit wasn't marketed to you? This and the likes of other games are for complete casuals and non gamers which it appeals to. The market Nintendo is trying to gain.
2good2betrue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 2good2betrue
Member since 2006 • 7791 Posts
You dont have to buy wiifit. Their are "real" games coming out to
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
It's still a video game... in that you do stuff (game) and it affects stuff on screen (video). It seems like a decidedly different direction from the gamers we're used to, but not in a multimedia sort of direction (ala 360 and PS3).
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#24 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Remember when nintendo said they didn't feel the need to have a DVD player built in the GC or Wii cause they focus strictly 100% on games, now they are embracing stuff like Wii-Fit, i mean "A" for effort but that really isnt a game, it's like an interactive excersise DVD, like excercise is healthy i go outside every day but, when i play Wii i just want to play games, it shouldn't be up to your video game console to take care of you, it should be yourself and consoles should be just games, as thats what everyone baught them for, i just feel like Wii Fit stole another games place at E3, very dissapointed, and we all love wii sports cause it came bundled with Wii! of course everyone will play it, but i havent touched it since january cause i like real games with depth. comments.

owl777

Technically, Wii fit is a game. If it's a game you don't want, don't buy it. And I understand how you think it's stupid that people would rely on a game to help them lose weight, but some people are so lame they will do it. Just look at DDR. I have friends who said that DDRis the reason theylost wieght. But hey, if people are willing top lose money doing it that way, let companies liek Konami and Nintendo just take the money.

Just don't let it bother you, it's just some game.

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts
DDR does cause people to lose weight. Wii fit will also do it due to the exercises people do in it. They will also improve balance and basically have an interactive yoga instructor. It's basically dozens of exercise methods in one thing. Plus you have actual games such as the soccor and ski and hula hoop that as a side effect improve balance.
ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts
Nintendo is not moving away from gamers, just look at this years lineup. Strikers, MP3, Bwii, Galaxy, SSBB.... Thats a killer line up and thats just from Nintendo. If you think even with all of that they are getting away from the gamer then when next year rolls around and they cant match this year you will be really upset. Nintendo is not getting away from the gamer it is just their marketing efforts are being used for other things. We are definatly not lacking in good quality games coming up, you are just upset with how they spent their time advertising the games. Sure I wish just like everyone that we would get more Bwii and SSBB info but in the end I care more about the game itself then the hype. The truth is that a lot of you guys complaining about E3 would have not said a word if Nintendo was only coming out with half of these games but talked about them the whole time. I say if they hype it up or not, as long as they keep giving the real gamer, real games then I am happy.
niftymatt490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 niftymatt490
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
meinnobody is exactly right, it isn't just designed to lose weight. It is designed for other excercises like balancing. I for one and excited for Wii Fit. I am in great shape myself, but a game that will help me and teach me excersises to do without hiring somebody to teach them to me is worth it. And since when does excersing have to do with just losing weight?
Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts

is anyone else worried?

volcomsk8r63

All the harcore Ninty games are being dumbed down for dumb casuals.. WII WANT GAMES.. not wii fit..

sora_heart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 sora_heart
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

Your right, but that's just for us gamers. Nitendos goal right now is to get more to people to play games and that's what they are succeding at. There is still core games like smash bros and mario and metroid, but for people that hate that stuff, there is wii fit.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

I'm definitely buying Wii-Fit, and I'm glad they spent a lot of time on it. It's going to be the next brain-age. The purpose of E3 is to sell their products to businesses, not to please you.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#31 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Some of you really need to get your head out of your ass. Just because Nintendo says they're doing the market good, doesn't mean they really are. The TC has a great point. WiiFit is NOT a real game, and if y'all are happy about it, be that way, but don't flame the rest of us. We are getting more and more trashy mini-games, ports, and other nongamer trash, and STILL some of you aren't worried about it. Yes, 2007 is gonna end up being a wonderful year, but what about 2008? Mario Kart Wii and a few other titlesare all the major games we get? C'mon, where is Zelda, Kid Icarus, StarFox, Pikmin, etc? What happened to Project HAMMER andDisaster? Is Ninty really spending as much time on games like WiiFitas they are ongames like Super Mario Galaxy? If they are really serious about online, why haven't they announced SSBB to be online (and NO, it hasn't officially been stated to be online)? Why don't we have a DVD attachment yet? And if all that wasn't bad enough, now they are making us buy more things to play our games. The Wii board looks really interesting, but if they start making games that use it, won't we need 4 of them to play multiplayer? How many hundreds of dollars will that cost? And then we have to buy 4 Wii Zappers for games like RE:UC, Ghost Squad, and MoH: Heroes 2. And when Mario Kart comes out? Three more steering wheels will have to be bought so everyone can play (trust me, it's much easier to race with a wheel). With all these problems, how can you guys STILL be happy. I'm worried to death.
fon1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#32 fon1988
Member since 2005 • 4325 Posts

Some of you really need to get your head out of your ass. Just because Nintendo says they're doing the market good, doesn't mean they really are. The TC has a great point. WiiFit is NOT a real game, and if y'all are happy about it, be that way, but don't flame the rest of us. We are getting more and more trashy mini-games, ports, and other nongamer trash, and STILL some of you aren't worried about it. Yes, 2007 is gonna end up being a wonderful year, but what about 2008? Mario Kart Wii and a few other titlesare all the major games we get? C'mon, where is Zelda, Kid Icarus, StarFox, Pikmin, etc? What happened to Project HAMMER andDisaster? Is Ninty really spending as much time on games like WiiFitas they are ongames like Super Mario Galaxy? If they are really serious about online, why haven't they announced SSBB to be online (and NO, it hasn't officially been stated to be online)? Why don't we have a DVD attachment yet? And if all that wasn't bad enough, now they are making us buy more things to play our games. The Wii board looks really interesting, but if they start making games that use it, won't we need 4 of them to play multiplayer? How many hundreds of dollars will that cost? And then we have to buy 4 Wii Zappers for games like RE:UC, Ghost Squad, and MoH: Heroes 2. And when Mario Kart comes out? Three more steering wheels will have to be bought so everyone can play (trust me, it's much easier to race with a wheel). With all these problems, how can you guys STILL be happy. I'm worried to death.GamerForca

I'm not too worried about Nintendo. The Wii Zapper is something that will make first person shooters easier but it doesn't have any buttons or anything so it's not a neccessity(sp). Same goes for the Wii wheel, you can easily just use the Wii-remote to play that game as well. As for the Wii board,I don't know what kind of games will come out for it or if it'll even have multiple titles but that might be the only thing you have to buy extras for. I dont remember if he said Wii Fit comes with a board or not but i bet it will and they will probably sell for $30. Nintendo is being innovative and there are plenty of games coming out this holiday season for the "core" gamer. Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, NiGHTS, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and plenty of sports games. Awhile back these "casual" games were called party games but now anyone that makes a new party game will instantly be looked down upon because it's only for "casual" gamers..bleh, grow up. Mario Party and games like that are fun, no one is making you buy them and not everyone is producing them. So don't give up on Nintendo just yet, oh and about online play...Nintendo sucks at that. Friend Codes are pathetic and I personally would rather play games next to my friends than over the internet. Oh and you asked where Zelda is....umm it's called Zelda: Twilight Princess. It may not have started at a Wii game but it ended up as one, a great one at that. It wasnt the best Zelda ever but it was great none the less and it was a "core" game. Blah....im not even going to start judging games as "core" or "casual". Thats stupid. Games are games, some are easy party games, others are just like what were used to.

fon1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#33 fon1988
Member since 2005 • 4325 Posts

I'm definitely buying Wii-Fit, and I'm glad they spent a lot of time on it. It's going to be the next brain-age. The purpose of E3 is to sell their products to businesses, not to please you.

Staryoshi87

Exactly, Wii-Fit is going to be a new, fun way to play some video games that my favorite company are working on. It's americas fault for being the fattest country on earth that they make games like that anyway. I'm looking forward to Wii-Fit alot, though Im not fat XD

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#34 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I'm not too worried about Nintendo. The Wii Zapper is something that will make first person shooters easier but it doesn't have any buttons or anything so it's not a neccessity(sp). Same goes for the Wii wheel, you can easily just use the Wii-remote to play that game as well. As for the Wii board,I don't know what kind of games will come out for it or if it'll even have multiple titles but that might be the only thing you have to buy extras for. I dont remember if he said Wii Fit comes with a board or not but i bet it will and they will probably sell for $30. Nintendo is being innovative and there are plenty of games coming out this holiday season for the "core" gamer. Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, NiGHTS, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and plenty of sports games. Awhile back these "casual" games were called party games but now anyone that makes a new party game will instantly be looked down upon because it's only for "casual" gamers..bleh, grow up. Mario Party and games like that are fun, no one is making you buy them and not everyone is producing them. So don't give up on Nintendo just yet, oh and about online play...Nintendo sucks at that. Friend Codes are pathetic and I personally would rather play games next to my friends than over the internet. Oh and you asked where Zelda is....umm it's called Zelda: Twilight Princess. It may not have started at a Wii game but it ended up as one, a great one at that. It wasnt the best Zelda ever but it was great none the less and it was a "core" game. Blah....im not even going to start judging games as "core" or "casual". Thats stupid. Games are games, some are easy party games, others are just like what were used to.

fon1988

I'll break this into pieces so we won't just have a huge wall of text lol:

1. No, you can't just as easily use the Wiimote by itself for racing games. Not at all. I've played NFS:C and I can tell you right now that without a wheel, it is impossible to steer a fast car at all. The wheel adds much needed control.

2. No, WiiFit will probably sell for at least $50, because that's what WiiPlay was sold at and it didn't come with a board, it came with a Wiimote. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for $60+.

3. Like I stated, the Wii's lineup for 2007 is wonderful. But tell me what's up for 2008. From the looks of it, we have little to look forward to. I want Zelda, Kid Icarus, StarFox, some other great Ninty franchise, or a good FPS, not WiiFit.

4. Sure, not everyone is making those "party" games, but we obviously are seeing more of them. I don't mind seeing a few for people who don't want other kinds of games, but I'm tired of this excess of games like WiiPlay and WiiFit. I want real games, but while Nintendo is doing a good job with getting some out there, we arent' seeing as much. As for 3rd parties.... despite saying they are focusing on Wii, most of what we are seeing are knockoffs of great franchises (i.e. Soul Calibur Legends, RE:UC). That worries me.

5. Twilight Princess is aGCN game ported to Wii with Wii controls. It doesn't matter what anyone says on this matter, but that's how it is. It was also one of my least favoritegames in the franchise. I want a Zelda made for the Wii, not made for the GCN and ported over. I'm sorry if you disagree.

big_mak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 big_mak123
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
This may not be a real game to you but it is a real game to some other people. I know a couple People who call games such as mario zelda final fantasy not real games because they are unrealistic. My friend bought a 360 just because of the sports games. Nothing Else! He calls NBA 2K7 a "Real game" So they made this Wii Fit for the caual gamers. Your best interest would to just ignore it. It is not like you have to buy it.
Avatar image for JustWiicredible
JustWiicredible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JustWiicredible
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts
Yes, we all probably won't play Wii fit but the balance board does have potential. Imagine that in racing games you could use the board as an accerator or break or in shooters as a footpedal to duck behind cover ala time crisis. If the devs use the new accessory and implement it well into games it could be quite useful.
Avatar image for frontierwiseman
frontierwiseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 frontierwiseman
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Nintendo is just trying to appeal to all audiences. If they want to make and excercise DVD then go head and let them. Some people will buy it and some people will know better.
BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts

owl777

I have to agree with you. I truly see wii fit as a dumb down slower version of richard simmons swinging to the oldies. it is a contradiction for nintendo to say they are focusing on games yet bring out something that really isn't a game. i don't rely on my video games to lose weight. i have a membership at gold's gym for that and healthy foods galore in my kitchen. this is why people say the wii is for the casual gamer and the wii is just a fad etc.. they need to make some changes gamewise if they want to be successful next-gen

and dont give me no stupid infraction mods. everytime i voice my opinion you all infract me and say i'm trolling. grow up. not everyone shares the same opinions as you.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Please don't bump ancient topics.